PDA

View Full Version : Spring Bear

Xenomorph
06-15-2016, 01:04 PM
I was going through the motions and was reading and getting antsy about not getting a bear this spring. I saw people head out early and I was just not able to, at one point I even put down the rifle/plans/desires.

It was a good buddy of mine that got me going. He's always the get-it-done type. Short call, followed by a let's go led us to a weekend hunt on Sunshine Coast in early May. Good sign followed but failed to connect as I was not alone. Another friend had tagged along for the experience and he wasn't as quiet as I was telling him to be. He's known -and yes, he's my best friend- for his overly active, gassy arse and he let loose a trombone resembling looooong fart. Half serious, half laughing I told him to stop, the bear will hear us.

He smiled and said "Do you think he'll hear this: ta-ta-ta*fart* ...ta-ta-ta*fart*" ...I swear no sooner he let loose that third trrrrrump and I mutter BEAR! and tried to get a shot through the branches. Too slow, caught him with a glimpse going up, he looked at us, down and bolted before I had a chance to shoulder anything. Good size boar, I'm saying boar because he was trailing the elk herd I stumbled onto the next morning at 5am. Made sense, 2+2 makes for dead calves and he was trailing them closely.

Couple of weeks passed before me staging anything. I got an itch and not a lot of time. Spoke to my bud, he was too busy, but I kept wanting to go, go, go.

And so we went. Grabbed my dad to tag along and help me just in case I connect. Started with an early morning 1am we were out the door, drove up to Pemberton and we had boots on the ground already when the sun decided to show up. Had a pretty good spot we were covering, lots of sign, I mean lots and fresh. Wind was good, camo was awesome ;)

He was feeding on the side of the road going into a ravine, wind was good but not much cover, made it pretty close but he caught me. Gods of the hunt, whomever was up there watching was on my side, because he didn't bolt it. This boy was the patch king and he wasn't moving away for a flimsy human, he just showed me the arse and started moving away from me. Crawled and tip toed and crawled some more until I topped the edge, he was close to 100yards away now, not feeding anymore, just moving away from me slowly, like consciously teasing me here, here's my arse.

He knew exactly where I am, I had no choice.

I sat down slowly. Brought my knees up, crossed arms and put my elbows on my knees and kept trailing him, my cross on his rear, looking for lateral movement.

I say, 120yards, my dad says over 140, but who cares, he decides to check on me before hitting the tree line and gently moved his head to the left to see/hear/smell what am I up to.

The 180g bullet went behind his left ear and dislocated the spine at the base of the skull. He flopped on the spot dead where he stood. Pushing 7' over 300lbs of grass fed goodness.

I've left a female walk a couple weeks later, in his area. She was just too beautiful and I have a feeling she had a cub in the tree line.

http://i67.tinypic.com/jpx0lv.jpg

Derp
06-15-2016, 01:15 PM
congrats on an awesome bear. Beautiful colour and dandy size! :)

moosinaround
06-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Nice color, hope you didn't smash the skull on that big boy! Will be some good food on your table! Congrats! Moosin

monasheemountainman
06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Nice mini van bear!!! haha good work he is an absolute beauty! anymore pics?

srupp
06-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Looks very nice..good looking hide especially this year..early hot spring...
Never seen a mini van with bear in back...lol

Congradulations well done.
Steven

Xenomorph
06-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Nice color, hope you didn't smash the skull on that big boy! Will be some good food on your table! Congrats! Moosin

I most certainly did not, I cleaned and boiled and making a euro mount out of it. I saw the amount of meat on it, was thinking the same thing, good food. Never done it though, got any recipes?

Nice mini van bear!!! haha good work he is an absolute beauty! anymore pics?

Durango Gen2, rest of the pics are with a couple ecstatic old men, I was too busy and bloody to bother being in the pics.

Xenomorph
06-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Looks very nice..good looking hide especially this year..early hot spring...
Never seen a mini van with bear in back...lol

Congradulations well done.
Steven

It's my new hunting rig/daily driver, seats 7, Durango, AWD, 5.7 Hemi. Tow package, can sleep in, haul family camping, haul a trailer/quad etc.

Ourea
06-15-2016, 01:57 PM
X, you kill me.

Beautiful bear chief.
Well done.

Thanks for posting

bc_buckshot
06-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Very nice color phase bear with beautiful hide way to go.... But I'm more curious and wanna know what the wife said when you stuck a beast in the family vehicle.... That story I wanna hear...lol Good job bud

~buckshot~

caddisguy
06-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Awesome job and great bear! Looks good in the Durango :)

swampthing
06-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Nice bear. The old fart call works on occasion!!

two-feet
06-15-2016, 07:17 PM
I had to load a bear into the family subaru a few years back when the wife came to my rescue from being stuck, not a popular move!

nice beast, good job

HarryToolips
06-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Very nice bear, congrats!

albravo2
06-15-2016, 10:04 PM
funny story, great results.

I'll have to try that myself some day.

Nice looking bear!

RiverOtter
06-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Seen the red and white picnic cloth and thought, that phucker baited that bear.......:-P

Just kiddin' Xeno, great bear and way to go with what ya got.

Reminded me of my old 92 Pontiac Sunbird, that trunk saw more meat than Jenna Jameson.........:shock:

kush
06-17-2016, 06:46 PM
nice job, smart to wait him out till the end

Dash
06-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Congrats!! Nice bear!! I literally laughed out load when I ready about your buddy farting haha

scotty30-06
06-18-2016, 04:06 AM
Very nicely done man....real nice bear congrats!!

smallfry14
06-18-2016, 04:28 AM
Very nice :razz: