PDA

View Full Version : Bow tech near smithers

madtrapper85
06-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know some one or store around smithers that re-strings bows. Haven't shot mine in around 5 years and wanted to put a new string on it. The string has no cuts and is in good condition as I just replaced the season that I put it away so not even sure if I would need to replace the string. Thanks for your help.

Brno22F
06-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Misty River in Terrace could probably help you out. I have picked up bow strings for a recurve from them

meesemoot
06-14-2016, 10:11 PM
I assume you want a compound bow restrung. Larry Lee of Green Arrow Archery on Victoria Drive is the guy to see in Smithers.

madtrapper85
06-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Yes it's a compound. Thanks I will go see Larry. I appreciate the help.

Jrax
06-15-2016, 02:35 PM
larry lee I think retired. there is another guy working on bows and has been good for me. Split Arrow Archery his name is dave ph. 2508778335

madtrapper85
06-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Do you know roughly how much it costs to re-string a bow?

madtrapper85
06-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info

SPEYMAN
06-16-2016, 11:21 AM
If I was buying a string from a shop, I would expect them to restring my bow as a service. To change the string and remove the old one requires a bow press or apparatus for changing a string. Might want to purchase a string changer as well as a new string and learn how to do it. Should have an extra string, just in case.

String should not be very expensive. I made my own for years and have not purchased one for a very long time.

StoneChaser
06-16-2016, 07:38 PM
If I was buying a string from a shop, I would expect them to restring my bow as a service. To change the string and remove the old one requires a bow press or apparatus for changing a string. Might want to purchase a string changer as well as a new string and learn how to do it. Should have an extra string, just in case.

String should not be very expensive. I made my own for years and have not purchased one for a very long time.

I've worked on bows with "custom" strings from two different shops in BC...each one has been atrociously built and over priced.

A good compound string & cable set from a reputable maker is prestretched and will easily run $100 CDN. As for free "restringing", far too many shops treat bows like tennis rackets and do just that.

To change out strings and cables, set rest centershot, tie in the timing cord & peep & D Loop, time the bow (on a draw board), paper tune and then yoke/broadhead tune is not a quick procedure if done with care.

You're safe to assume that you'll pay the cost of strings and $50 (minimum) for a full set up and tune.

I personally never found a shop that put this much effort into my bows, so I got a press and freeboard, and began tuning my own bows (and about 20 others per year).

If done right with a well built string, you'll get years of service with minimal fuss or maintenance.

Good of luck in your search.

Caribou_lou
06-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Go see Dave at Split Arrow. Great guy and great with bows. He has a FB page also. Small operation but he is just starting up. Building a shop at the moment for his business.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-18-2016, 07:39 AM

String making is Voodoo magic

I too have seen many "custom" strings that are a giant POS that actually do more harm than good to the performance of the bow (wrong material, too many strands, out of spec, slightly over or under lenth etc...)

100 bucks seems to be the going rate for a good 2 cam set-up ... slightly more for a single cam style. budget 200 bucks and you be good.

when I was shooting regularly I would change out my strings and cables every 6 months (I used to shoot alot... several hundred arrows per day every day) the average person ... that shoots the equivent to 4-6 Vegas rounds(30 arrows per round) in a week a good string should last a few years if properly maintained