PDA

View Full Version : 12' aluminum on ocean

mcmullmar
06-12-2016, 02:39 PM
I have a 12' Princecraft aluminum boat. Thinking of taking out around Hole in wall/Bowen Island area. Am I crazy, is this boat too small???

landphil
06-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Between wind, currents, and chop, I think you'd be nuckin futs, even if you watched the weather and tides like a hawk. I will admit I am no mariner, but I'd personally say a 16' / 80 hp minimum unless you're staying in a sheltered harbour.

takla1
06-12-2016, 02:46 PM
probably fine if you know how to swim well and stay within 100 yrds of shore.Ive been there and done that and its not fun when the wind comes up bounceing around in 6-8 ft swells
Avoid fishing the evenings as the day heats up so does the wind,early mornings.flat conditions and look at the weather outlook before ventureing

takla

ACB
06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
You really have to watch the weather and having a good tide table helps, fish the rising tide off the low slack tide to high tide. It would also help to have a hand held VHF radio and listen to the marine weather reports. When the report tells you the wind is going to be more than 15knots it's time to be off the water in that size of boat. I did it lots off of Sechelt at Trail Islands and Mary Island in a 12ft. Spingbok with 15hp Johnson 2 stroke, You just have to be really carefull. Good luck.

fuzzybiscuit
06-12-2016, 04:19 PM
I've been all the way around Nootka Island in a 12' Lund with a 15 hp Johnson. So I say go for it!

two-feet
06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I have done lots of fooling around out there in a 12' or canoe, you just have to be on the defensive the entire time. Plan your trip so that the tide will bring you home if the motor dies. You will be confined to inshore fishing, not looking for barn door halibut on the outside. If the weather gets really shitty be prepared to beach the boat and wait it out, which might take a long time.

My worst fear used to be Luna the whale coming and trying to jump in my boat with me, that would have been awkward! And when a huge bull sea lion bigger than your boat comes to investigate from 10' that can be exciting as well!

its a good way to get out to set crab/prawn traps and do a little fishing. Its just that you are extremely exposed out there and need to be very consevative with your decisions. Things can go wrong so damn quick. Have fun!

Ozone
06-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Kind of depends on you and your ability. Saw a person today sailing a 12 rowboat down Knights Inlet mid channel, looked like it had a 2hp and a gaff rig on it.

Edzzed
06-12-2016, 05:50 PM
They race bath tubs that are shorter than 12ft so go for it. Your family can collect the life insurance later. make sure it's paid up to date. I have been out in an 18ft boat and thought gee, maybe this isn't such a great idea and headed back. I also have a 12 ft princecraft and NO way I'd even contemplate taking it in the ocean.

TreeStandMan
06-12-2016, 06:21 PM
My feeling is that most of the time you'd be just fine with your 12' out there.

Me, I wouldn't bet my life on "most of the time."

.264winmag
06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
With a reliable motor and a good anchor I'd be out on the inside waters in a heartbeat. Fished the west coast in a 16ft tiner with a 28 Johnson, 15.5ft hourstan/70 horse for years. Just be honest with yourself and your experience on the chuck, if you're asking if it's safe I question your experience. And I mean that with absolutely no disrespect, just the honest truth. Be prepared for the worst, the straight can be absolutely nasty also, just less swell. Wear a survival suit and have a handheld marine radio or other means of calling for help. Good luck and have fun!
Please don't wear chest waders!

Big Lew
06-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Been in some extremely nasty water with a 12 ft and a 16 ft canoe....as I'm not familiar with
tidal waters I personally wouldn't try it. My dad on the other hand was raised out there and
used all manner of small row boats. If you go, aside from the weather and tides, watch out
for the big boats...their wakes can easily swamp small boats. We had the wake from a small
navy cutter come right over the bow on our 15 ft speed boat as were mooching. We had just
enough time to swing into the wave.

itsy bitsy xj
06-12-2016, 06:52 PM
I have a welded 12` Westcoaster with a 30hp evenrude 2 stroke and I would give it a go... Like they say `God hates a coward`

mcmullmar
06-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Have to ponder it a bit longer.

two-feet
06-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Try inlets and bays first. Set some crab traps, troll salmon, jig flounder and sole. Stay close and figure things out. Just never under estimate the ocean and murphys law.

two-feet
06-12-2016, 07:42 PM
The small boat actually gives you the flexibility to head to shore anywhere, you dont have this with a bigger boat.

06-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I have fished and boated in that area. I would be very hesitant to go out in that size boat. Things change very quickly - don't mess with the chuck.

srupp
06-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Hmmmmm........no.

Cheers
Srupp

albravo2
06-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Lots of people have done it in the past. A few didn't make it.

If you lack skill and knowledge, be sure your boat can compensate for it.

No matter how big your boat is, the ocean is bigger, so judgement is key.

boxhitch
06-12-2016, 08:56 PM
Have spent dozens of days fishing a 14' w/ 10 h.p. , some were trolling, some mooching, some waiting out the wind or tide while feasting on oyster lunch.
A decent deep bow will handle lots of wave, just load it accordingly. They can be a handful when running two rods and a down rigger and the tiller handle so stay alert.
Lots of good memories out of Sooke Harbour around Secretary Island , and around Winchelsea out of Schooner Cove.

Wear a Mustang floater suit if you can find one , and remember 3 blasts of an air horn or whistle or cannon is the distress signal

luckofthedraw
06-12-2016, 10:36 PM
12' foot isn't an ocean boat.

.264winmag
06-12-2016, 10:45 PM
And to think the natives cruised around in dugout canoes. They're not extinct...

CVMike
06-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Never fished the area you are in, but the guide fleet in campbell river was all 14' open tin boats just 20 years ago. Have a good set of oars, and wherever you go have the mentality that you're going to have to use them. As others have said, watch the weather and always play it safe. Give it a go. You won't be dissapointed. Catching a big spring on simple gear in a small boat is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have on the water.

ACB
06-13-2016, 12:13 AM
First things first , you are not in the ocean. You are in salt water. IT can get pretty snotty on the inside but nothing like the out side of Vancouver Island. If the weather doesn't look good and like I said earlier check the forecasts and if it doesn't sound good don't go! So if you plan on going make sure people know what your planning to do and stick to the plan! Have all your safety stuff on board while wearing your PFD! I'm sorry but there's only one way to get experience and thats by doing it. BABY STEPS! Don't try doing something thats beyond your abilities! It's a lot of fun going out and getting a few fish and crabs and clams but don't over step the limitations of your abilities and put other people at risk that might be out there to save you! I don't want to scare you out of going out because I myself had so many great experience's in my 12ft. springbok. Mooching off of trail Island's with live bait in 86 for Coho was unbelievable in my 12ft. springbok. I'd love to see those day's again! It's do able but you have to be careful! GOOD LUCK!

fuzzybiscuit
06-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Never fished the area you are in, but the guide fleet in campbell river was all 14' open tin boats just 20 years ago. Have a good set of oars, and wherever you go have the mentality that you're going to have to use them. As others have said, watch the weather and always play it safe. Give it a go. You won't be dissapointed. Catching a big spring on simple gear in a small boat is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have on the water.

Time flys. You were right but 20 years farther back in history. Mid-70's was the alluminum Thorne boats that Painters used. It's been Whalers or Whaler copies since the late 70's.

saskbooknut
06-13-2016, 05:53 AM
My thoughts are that a 12 foot Aluminum is for very sheltered waters only on the saltchuck.
I had a 14 foot fibreglass runabout with a 40 hp Merc that I considered minimal, but had an enclosed bow and windshield making it shed water a whole lot better than a "tinner".
I will be showing my age here, but my first boat was a 14 foot home-built plywood boat with a 5 1/2 hp Johnson Sea Horse - a very serviceable boat off Sooke, Victoria waterfront, Sidney Island over to Saltspring. The boat shed big waves quite well due to the sheer of the bows. I can remember the boat with fish sloshing around our ankles in a big "Pink" run off Sooke in the early 60s, and yeah I was just a kid.

caddisguy
06-13-2016, 06:57 AM
20 or so years ago I did Tofino in a 12' aluminum boat and fished around where the inlet meets the open ocean. Waves were fine, currents were ridiculous. No problems at all though. Wouldn't say I would chance my luck again. Many nice boaters including the coast guard cruised by and asked if we were ok, probably referring to our mental well being :)

boblly1
06-13-2016, 08:04 AM
i would ask my brother inlaw but wait he went out of sooke basin 30 or so years ago and hasnt been seen since so i guess you know my answer

mcmullmar
06-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Thank everyone. ACB, very logical and sensible advice.
I'll pick my day and give it a try. Hope to post how it went when I get back :)

Big Lew
06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
And to think the natives cruised around in dugout canoes. They're not extinct...

Yes, but their boats were built for the sea, weren't a pitiful 12ft, and most importantly,
they had as much experience as people could get.

.264winmag
06-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Whatever then, guess we all need a 30ft Grady to go out in the chuck. Ya a wood canoe with paddles is much safer!!! The best way to become experienced is get out there, it isn't rocket surgery...

Glenny
06-13-2016, 04:08 PM
If your doing the hole in the wall and launching out of Horseshoe bay I wouldn't worry. If you launch from Lions bay could be tricky.

saskbooknut
06-14-2016, 03:53 AM
Yeah, it ain't "rocket surgery" as you say, but weather and the saltchuck can kill you. A lot of caution with a small boat is just prudent.
Bigger boat has more reserve buoyancy and a design that sheds waves helps a lot too.

.264winmag
06-14-2016, 05:39 AM
Yeah, it ain't "rocket surgery" as you say, but weather and the saltchuck can kill you. A lot of caution with a small boat is just prudent.
Bigger boat has more reserve buoyancy and a design that sheds waves helps a lot too.

Bigger boat can also get you into bigger trouble, I have a big boat so I'm safe? You don't buy a cr500 to learn how to dirt bike;) Most of us learned in little shit box tinners...

dakoda62
06-14-2016, 05:55 PM
As a kid I spent many hours in 14 ft boat, i know not a 12, on the outside open waters around Prince Rupert, never had a problem but kept my eye on the weather.