PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife fences on highways

Gateholio
06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Wildlife fences on highway # 5 and # 97C in south eastern, interior British Columbia- Are there concerns about eliminating migration patterns?

A poster on CGN is convinced they are disrupting the migraitons, I always thought there was plenty of underpasses in drainages for wildlife to move??

I gave him some links about papers on the subject, and told him to contact the BCWF, sinc e I am sure they and local clubs were involved, but I dont' knwo enough about them to make afirm comment.

Anyone closer to that area with more knowledge than I care to comment?

Steeleco
06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I have hunted that area quite a few times in the past five years. Even had my hunting bud pull a doe draw for 3-13 in Nov twice. NEVER seen a doe on that side that late. Plenty of animals on the 8 side but they're closed.

Your right thought, IMHO there are more than enough underpasses and such allowing animals to pass below the highway. This past weekend we even saw a doe and fawn on the wrong side of the fence on the east side. Never seen that before. I assume when the animals migrate they follow some of the drainages, which funnily enough they had to build a bridge over!!!

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
It was proven the 'the connector' disrupted the movements of moose, that were reluctant to use the tunnels. Not sure of the movements now, but pops. are climbing on both sides of the highway. They adapt.

dana
06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I remember the year they put up the fence on the connector. Deer and moose were banging their heads against the fence for weeks before they gave up and headed for Douglas Lake and Merrit. Yes, it disrupted the migration patterns. They put the fence up when the deer and moose were on the summer range. And no, there weren't many underpasses and only one over pass which was almost at the bottom above Trepanier. No animals dared to use that over pass. Hell, I think I'd find it scary too.

one-shot-wonder
06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I know of a report written on the impact and effect on wildlife due to the construction of the Coquilhala Highway and connector. Our firm designed portions of the highway back in the mid eighties and guys in the office have refered to it before. I will try to track it down if I have a chance.

As far as affectiveness of Under/Overpasses, underpasses seem to be use by wildlife more. The ministry opts for them more due to there ease of constructability and cost compared to an overpass structure.

rock
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Any time a highway of that size is built migrating routes will be interrupted no matter what happens fencing just adds to the problem but does help in the killing of animals on our highways. As for over passes or tunnels they work in due time but not right away, many animals will not make it due to travel routes there use to.