PDA

View Full Version : Dease area roads/trails info ?

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Looking to make a list of access roads . This area is under utilized, I think.
There are not many roads into the backcountry in the Dease Cassiar area. Some are only Quad trails now.
One that I was on, was a road heading East, into the Turnagain area, that was used to go into an ex- comm. tower site. Looked like good caribou country. Did not log the turn-off point :cry:. Any info ?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2007, 08:05 AM
That would have been the Jade/Boulder road that Mark was just on. You're right not much access into the backcountry around Dease. Most if not all roads in the area have a moose rutt closure starting on Sept 25th (I believe).
The "Grumpster" was telling us of a 400" 'bou taken off that road.

Best to fly in that area.

SSS

mark
06-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Ya Box, we looked at a detailed map of the area, It seemed like the only backcountry trail between the stikine and dease, other than the old railroad bed. We only ventured about 25 miles in the jade boulder rd. apparently it goes in like 80-100 miles to a jade mine??? From there, there is quad trails venturing off the main drag made by hunters. Personally I was not at all impressed by the area, and I doubt id ever return there!!! Theres darn good reason that hardly anyone lives up there!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Boxhitch-Looking for an alternate route to work? Take canoe and get your boss to pick you up when you hit the Ketchika?? Traffic getting bad or are you just looking for an excuse to stop by that pub in Dease??:-D:-D:-D

SSS

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
A float trip from Turnagain Lake would cover some good country.
Dease pub ? maybe on the return in October.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't think I would want to hit that pub at the end of hunting season. Yuck!:shock:

SSS

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
That would have been the Jade/Boulder road that Mark was just on.

thought the Jade road was the one to the West at Jade City, by Hot Lake. My error.
The one I was on to the east was almost do-able in 2wd when I was in.
There has also been some more mining activity in the area, are these roads gated ?

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 12:57 PM
The other road/trail I heard of, headed west at the north end of Dease Lake, toward Tuya Lake. Can be looped and come back to the road nearer Cassiar. Good Caribou, and if you know which side-ridge to take (:)) maybe a ewe or two.

hunter1947
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Mark ,Bruce parker got a nice grizz in that area 3 years ago just before he died ,he told me were he got it and two bull moose ,he said that there was a big sign on your right just before you get into the south end of dease lake ,there is a road that goes in forever towards the east of the turn off ,he said he went in about 20lkm and that's were he shot his grizz.