PDA

View Full Version : New boots!

BgBlkDg
06-09-2016, 06:51 AM
For some years, I have wanted a pair of Hanwag hiking-mountain boots, but, NOT a "GoreTex" model. Many have lauded the "Tibet" and it is the weight/height type that I find most versatile for hunting and general bush wear.

So, I found that another model, the "Yukon" is leatherlined, made in Germany, rather than Croatia, as the "Tibet" is and seems of better leather. I found one too-small pair at Valhalla Pure, in Abby and they were not sure if they would bring in more stock for 2016.

Last April, I dropped by to look for something and there they were, in my size, ONE pair at $350.00 plus TAX. I could not do it then and have waited until yesterday and went to VP and fitted them and bought them. I'm very pleased and like these very much, an ideal boot for many BC hunters, IF, that last fits YOUR feet.

I must wear heavy hikers/mountain boots constantly due to a gimpy leg and have worn most brands available since the early 1960s. Hanwags are among the best makes and I expect that these will last me several years.

Have a look, guys, very nice boot for most alpine hunting and I have heavier boots for what really tough treks I might attempt, mine are Scarpa Fuegos, another super boot, IMHO.

One problem, I am now SO broke, I might have to skip a few meals! ;) ;) ;)

Wentrot
06-09-2016, 07:17 AM
X2 on the Hanwags. I took the expensive plunge this year as well and love em. Different model than yours however it seems anything hanwag is quality.

northernbc
06-09-2016, 08:23 AM
glad you have been able to get your desired boots bbdog, I hope they treat you well. why did you want to buy non gortex boots.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Just bought my first pair of Hanwags as well. Went with the Alaska GTX. Got them from Fisher's Hardware in Vernon for a great price!

Drillbit
06-09-2016, 09:33 AM
glad you have been able to get your desired boots bbdog, I hope they treat you well. why did you want to buy non gortex boots.

I was thinking the same thing?

Glad you're happy, but why no Goretex liner?

BgBlkDg
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
WPB membranes in boots is a conjob and such boots will NEVER remain H2O proof for very long in harsh field conditions. They get too hot in most weather, your feet cannot breathe and they DO NOT dry in field use so tend to be havens for mungus, fungus and maybe even Lieberals......

I have worn them, highend makes and while some uses, VERY light hikers using synthetics for easy hikes, can benefit from GT, they do not meet my standards for serious all weather mountain uses.

I bought my first "mountain boots" over 51 years ago, wore handmedowns prior to that and have several pairs of top Euro boots at present. I much prefer "stitchdown" or "Littleway" full grain leather boots lined with calfskin and treated INSIDE and out with Obenauf's.....BUT, NO leather boot is really waterproof and such boots now cost many, many bucks.

Soooo, I don't drink the GT koolaid and only buy leather boots with leather {preferred} or fabric liners. If, you had ever worn Galibiers, Pivettas, original FGL GERMAN Meindls, original SWISS Raichles or other such Euro boots, you would SEE and FEEL the difference. I have a pair of FGL Kastingers that are well used, resoled and 34 years old, my Meindls are 40 years old, beat, rebuilt and STILL work......try that with molded lasted-GT boots.

BRvalley
06-09-2016, 10:25 AM
nothing like finding that perfect fit in a pair of boots

I don't think goretex liners are all they're cracked up to be, at least not in a full leather trekking boot....just adds unnecessary insulation and feet over heat and sweat more....in a synthetic boot/trail shoe I can see it providing more benefits....imo a full leather boot provides enough water resistance if properly treated and will breathe better...and guys with goretex boots are still treating the leather with waterproofing products regardless, often with the wrong products for goretex

my dream boot would be my high ankle lowa tibets, no goretex and leather lined....nothing is more comfortable than a fine leather lined boot

sheephunterab
06-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Lowa does make a leather-lined Tibet as well that's made in Germany.

BgBlkDg
06-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Yep, I would rate Lowas and Hanwags about the same in quality, but, the Hanwag Yukon has fewer seams than the Lowa Tibet, so, will tend to be more H2O resistant.

BTW, guys, some of you may encounter certain aggressive, self-styled "egspurts" on various forums, who will advise you to use melted beeswax to proof your boots. This DOES work VERY well on FGL boots with traditional construction but makes them bloody stiff in cold weather......this from experience.

However, contemporary boots, including highend customs, use PLASTIC counters and toeboxes, as certain custom builders have told me so heating these as one must to adsorb melted beeswax, WILL seriously damage your boots....a "word to the wise" and all that.

Use Obenaufs, properly and never heat your boots except by sunlight or 2-3 feet from a stove. Your feets will thank you.

albravo2
06-09-2016, 04:03 PM
A good pair of boots is like a good stack of dry firewood. There is just something reassuring about it.

Glad you found another pair BBD, and appreciate the advice on boots and boot care. And sleeping bags. And tents. And rifles. And cartridges...

Fella
06-09-2016, 04:05 PM
X2 on the Lowas, bought a pair and I can Hike all day without getting too sore. I have a pair of all leather prospectors and while they keep my feet warm and dry, they're heavy as heck and don't breathe at all!

BRvalley
06-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Lowa does make a leather-lined Tibet as well that's made in Germany.

not offered with high ankles sadly, but still tempting

they have the Camino model with leather liners as well that I'd like to try on my feet sooner or later, looks like a good option for the warmer months

sheephunterab
06-09-2016, 05:33 PM
not offered with high ankles sadly, but still tempting

they have the Camino model with leather liners as well that I'd like to try on my feet sooner or later, looks like a good option for the warmer months

Honestly I'm a Gortex fan but do get that some people prefer leather lined. I've been trying out a pair of Camino and so far I'm really impressed. Lighter and cooler than the Tibet but but still plenty of stability. I'll wear them early season goat and sheep for sure.

BgBlkDg
06-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Has anyone seen any Lowa Tempest "mids" as I love these and just missed some at REI. I seldom now go to gunshows, sports stores and hope that somebody might know of a source for these?

HarryToolips
06-09-2016, 07:42 PM
Save your $ and buy some army boots at army surplus comfortable if ya put good in-sols in em..and very rugged and durable..

Husky7mm
06-10-2016, 08:02 AM
Yep, I would rate Lowas and Hanwags about the same in quality, but, the Hanwag Yukon has fewer seams than the Lowa Tibet, so, will tend to be more H2O resistant.

BTW, guys, some of you may encounter certain aggressive, self-styled "egspurts" on various forums, who will advise you to use melted beeswax to proof your boots. This DOES work VERY well on FGL boots with traditional construction but makes them bloody stiff in cold weather......this from experience.

However, contemporary boots, including highend customs, use PLASTIC counters and toeboxes, as certain custom builders have told me so heating these as one must to adsorb melted beeswax, WILL seriously damage your boots....a "word to the wise" and all that.

Use Obenaufs, properly and never heat your boots except by sunlight or 2-3 feet from a stove. Your feets will thank you.

Would mink oil work?

BgBlkDg
06-10-2016, 08:19 AM
I do not care for mink oil as I used it on one pair of Raichles, I wore during my stint in the CCG, as a "Lightkeeper" and I was in and out of the Station Boat, on Georgia Strait, constantly. I found it seemed to "clog" the pores of the leather and did not last as Obenauf's does.

The best treatments I have used out of many available since the early '60s were Obenauf's and the Bee Seal Plus, that MEC used to sell. I detest Snowseal and think that the silicone it contains damages the stitching of the boots.

YMMV, but, I would NEVER use "Dubbin" or any other goop except Obenauf's and it is available on-line.

Backwoods
06-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Just picked up lowa Tibet gtx, returned them and now I have the tatra hanwag gtx top wides and man they fit like a glove!!!

sheephunterab
06-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Just picked up lowa Tibet gtx, returned them and now I have the tatra hanwag gtx top wides and man they fit like a glove!!!

Did you try the Tibet wides?

Ohwildwon
06-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Would mink oil work?

Dont use mink oil unless it is in paste form, otherwise as BgBlkDg says...

.264winmag
06-11-2016, 08:49 AM
How flexible is the sole on the tatra? Just had the trapper tops shipped to me but the shank is way too stiff, zero flex. Will destroy my feet so waiting for next shipment to come in. Other than that seem like decent boots, maybe not $500 worth but...

RiverOtter
06-11-2016, 09:13 PM
I was never a big Sno-Seal fan, but having bought the Meindl labeled boot sesler it lokks and smells identical to SN. Anyone have any intel on this?

I use paste Mink Oil mostly these days, but admittedly have tried a shit tonne of different stuff over the years. Used Nik-Wax for years as well.

.264winmag
07-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Traded the trapper tops for the special forces gtx. Made in Croatia, gore Tex and ugly as sin. Zero break in, straight the the hills. Very flexible sole, good ankle mobility front/back with decent side/side support. Like a pair of tall runners. Hope they bring me to a big Billy this fall.
Cheers

ACB
07-01-2016, 03:45 PM
I was never a big Sno-Seal fan, but having bought the Meindl labeled boot sesler it lokks and smells identical to SN. Anyone have any intel on this?

I use paste Mink Oil mostly these days, but admittedly have tried a shit tonne of different stuff over the years. Used Nik-Wax for years as well.
Meindl wax is nothing like Sno- Seal, in my opinion way better. Meindl wax is the only thing I use on my Meindl boots. Once their waxed up they don't leak. You can walk through a creek and as long as the water don't go over the tops they don't leak

Useyourfeet
07-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Went away from wpb boots a few years back and it was the right decision. I also run the hanwag yukons (3 seasons on them now) and they have been and continue to be great

knothead
07-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Miendle wax is similar to Snowseal but softer, when I bought my Minedles he was out of there wax and recommended the Snowseal.

Hammerhead
07-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Miendle wax is similar to Snowseal but softer, when I bought my Minedles he was out of there wax and recommended the Snowseal.

Funny I also used the Miendle wax and next time he was out. AJ Brooke's told me to get the Grangers paste wax
Its been good so far
HH

knothead
07-02-2016, 12:20 AM
I applied the Snowseal according to his instructions and haven't had a wet foot yet. Great boots.

604redneck
07-02-2016, 03:49 AM

I've owned the lowas and the hanwags and was not a fan of the hanwags. Could have just been my feet though or the model. I have gtx lined lowas now and for hunting in wet conditions they are a lot nicer than non gtx lined boots.

BgBlkDg
07-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Well, each to his/her own, my experience with them has been much different and "nicer" is a subjective term.

How many years of regular, as in one trek per week, minimum, do you have on your GT-Lowas? NO offence intended, but, I have found that if used hard as I do my boots, the GT liners fail and then the boots are less comfortable than leather lined models.

IF, you know how to care for boots and DO IT, the non-GT ones have outlasted any GT ones I have owned, but, care is a lot of work.

mtnmanmike
07-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Where did you get your boots from? I'm very interested in getting these boots but having a hard time finding them in my size. Thanks

BgBlkDg
07-18-2016, 03:25 PM
I bought mine at Valhalla Pure, in Abbotsford, I know they also stock them at VP in Nelson. I just picked them up from my shoe guy who installed the 1.25" orthopaedic lift I require for $280.00, and am about to put the first coat of Obenauf's LP on them.

I think that "TraknTrail" in Alberta and "Monod Sports" in Banff, may also have them, but, try Nelson. I also strongly recommend Vince DeVito Shoes there for ANY repairs to such boots, they are as good as one could hope for.

mtnmanmike
07-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Awesome, i appreciate it. Do you treat your boots when they are brand new? before you go out for your first hike?

BgBlkDg
07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Absolutely, take the Obenauf's out in the sun for a couple hours and the boots with laces out as well. Then, work LOTS of Obie's into the leather, but, avoid the seam between the high rand and leather vamp. This, can loosen if goop gets under it.

Work it in well and then put your boots into a BLACK garbage bag and leave all day in the hottest sun possible. At evening, just B/4 beddybys, take an old, clean towel and rub harshly to remove any excess wax, then leave in the sun another day, if possible.

On new boots, I do this twice BEFORE wearing them outside and repeat as indicated by the leather----after a few months, they will be as H20 proof as leather boots can be.

More boots are wrecked by NOT treating them right and by "drying" over campfires than are ever wornout by use. I have one pair of Scarpas, among the finer boots made, used almost constantly for 15 years and still sound enough to have the third set of Vibrams installed later this year.

Lone Goat Creek
07-18-2016, 05:06 PM
As far as the Obenauf's specifically, I think Viberg's LP (boot manufacturer in Victoria BC, but LP "Made in USA") is actually just private label Obenauf's. At least that's what I believed when I bought the Viberg LP :-) , and it definitely seems to work the same as described above.

http://workboot.com/products/viberg-leather-preservative-8oz

BgBlkDg
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Yup, but, sad to say, Vibergs are not what they were and our once superb BC-made boots are no longer made........I remember wearing Pierre Paris, Daytons, Leckies and others back in the good old days.

Another of Pierre Trudeaus, gifts to we ordinary Canucks.

islandarcher
08-10-2016, 12:34 PM
I bought the same boots at the same store a year ago. Stopped at every outdoors store between Terrace and Vancouver to try on different boots. Tried a pair of Lowa's at Wholesale sports, really wanted them to fit as they were a great price. Tried 3 different sizes, they just didn't feel right. Stopped at VPO in Abbotsford. Phenomenal customer service, one of the employees even helped keep my 2 year old entertained. Tried a few different pairs and settled on the Hanwag Yukons. Love the leather lining. The lacing system on the Hanwags is awesome. I'd buy another pair without hesitation.