PDA

View Full Version : Baiting couger

Whiterock
06-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Anyone know if you can bring a couger to bait? Its legal,,works in Africa,,Im wondering if anyone has any experience with this,,thanks.

Elkaholic
06-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Its legal, and it can be done. Ive setup on a road kill carcass before with a trail cam and caught cougar and bobcats, so I know they will come in. But other than that you might have a bit of trial and error to find the right recipe.

Xenomorph
06-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Anyone know if you can bring a couger to bait? Its legal,,works in Africa,,Im wondering if anyone has any experience with this,,thanks.

My next purchase is a predator call, the one with the bunny flopping all over the place. I saw a video with it and I absolutely loved it. Remote controlled, you have field of view and cougars won't sneak up on you.

It's legal to bait cougars, let us know if you do something and it works ;)

First two tags I bought this year were cougar tags.

300H&H
06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
the first thing to come to mind was put out a glass of wine

Elkaholic
06-08-2016, 12:00 PM
the first thing to come to mind was put out a glass of wine

I may try that out this year! I bet you can have more fun with those cougars....... lol

Gone_Fishin_
06-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Put a couple bottles of this out...

"Cougar Juice"

http://www.totalwine.com/media/sys_master/twmmedia/h03/h19/8797782048798.png (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjimM6fkZnNAhUDEFIKHQdUCggQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalwine.com%2Fwine%2Frose-blush-wine%2Fwhite-zinfandel%2Fcorbett-canyon-white-zinfandel%2Fp%2F2350015&psig=AFQjCNHzX6wFMzoMfDzBlNRqjvHkGFpzWA&ust=1465499490168997)

On another note... was heading home from Hunting Princeton this past Saturday and around 1:00am just before the #3 changed into the #5 I had to lock up the brakes for what I thought was 3 coyotes standing on the highway. Literally stopped within 2' of the one and once buddy and I gathered our thoughts from the sideways tire chirping drift we seen it was a mom and 2 kittens. Very healthy (large/fat) mom and 2 beautiful looking teenage kittens. They walked within 3' of my door and around the back of my jeep before jumping the barrier and vanishing.

Only ever seen 2 before in my life so to see 3 in 1 spot without them even running was quite amazing.

BiG Boar
06-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I know of several people who have successfully baited bobcats. In their yards, and in the wild. Its quite doable. Being there at the right time is the key. Hung in trees and secured fairly well is the ticket.

As a trapper, I have heard of very few cougars getting caught in traps, though it happens on occasion, or getting killed over a bait pile for wolves and coyotes, even though they are there. Is it impossible to imagine? No, but I think they must prefer fresh kills. I probably wouldn't waste my time trying it.

scotty30-06
06-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Have had a couple come in to my e caller with the wiggling rabbit thing....first one stood about 50 yards away and just stared at it...(easy shot but I was going for coyotes and didn't have a cougar tag)...stood there for around 2-3 minutes then walked away.....the other crawled in real close to it then slowly backed away then just darted....the sightings were about 3 years apart...first one Chilliwack and second between Harrison and hope

Whiterock
06-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys,,,,Im gonna try it,,ya never know.

BlacktailStalker
06-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Some forage, mostly young or female with young that maybe stumble on a fresh carcass . The amount of cats caught at bait sets for Wolves is very high, there was over 60 reported two years ago in Alberta. Many are not and are just thrown on the pile. They aren't there for the bait, they get pinned walking around them as a point of interest.
I personally walked through a deactivated snare set this past winter, on the steps of a big Tom. He's lucky it was deactivated or he would have died two days prior than he did :)
Just remember the birds, yotes, wolves, bear and weasels are gonna get it right away. Learn a bit about the one you want and be strategic, that's all I'm gonna say.

Rotorwash
06-08-2016, 10:46 PM
If your calling just make sure it's well away from you. Not like say 30 yards away. A hungry cougar might come into the sound and decide you look tasty enough. Nothing gets the heart pumping like shooting a cat at a full run at you...