PDA

View Full Version : 2x doubler

~T-BONE~
06-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Hey just looking on some feedback. Who uses a 2x doubler on their swaro slc's? Are you happy with them in comparison to your spotter? How about in low light??

Thanks Mike

Brew
06-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Looking forward to some answers on this one. I've wondered the same. It would sure save weight in your pack not carrying a spotter.

sheephunterab
06-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Not much of a spotting scope replacement really. With 10x binos you get 20X magnification. That's the low end where most spotting scopes start. You will suffer in low light as well compared to a 65 or 80mm objective lens. Exit pupil gets pretty small with the doubler.

Whonnock Boy
06-07-2016, 08:00 PM
I've got one. It's certainly not a replacement for a spotter, and I find that I have limited opportunities to utilize it. When I do get use out of it, I don't have a tripod to put it on, and usually, awkwardly, set it up on my pack, or log, or something to stabilize it, as it's pretty shaky at that magnification. To be honest, I have found it to be somewhat of a novelty, that has worn off. I don't even know if I put it in my pack this past year. With all that said, the swarovski doubler is better than some of the spotting scopes I've had the displeasure of looking through. :)

Whonnock Boy
06-07-2016, 08:01 PM
You're more than welcome to borrow mine to test it out.

Looking forward to some answers on this one. I've wondered the same. It would sure save weight in your pack not carrying a spotter.

Brew
06-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Just might take you up on that.

srupp
06-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Hi Tbone..I did try that combo..not impressed at all..imo spotter and quality binos do different functions....the offer to try out the combo is generous and would be definitive..
Good luck

Steven

~T-BONE~
06-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks gents! Sounds like I'm not missing anything. Hence why I've never seen it used before. Spotter weight was never an issue anyhow.

newfie bullet
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Not bin's but I have the 1.6 extender on my Kowa 883 spotter and am impressed at the lack of perceivable light lost.