PDA

View Full Version : gf and a big blackie

lightmag
06-06-2016, 10:05 PM
GF completed CORE just in time to get her LEH draws in then her first goal was to get a black bear. So we grabbed my sons 308 with hornady 125g reduced recoil bullets and hit the range, she was a great shot, on paper with a rest ....

we had been out a few times but always with the kids and my son was my first priority as he was looking to get his first big game as well. Finally we were getting out, without the kids, she was up!! My brother and his GF jumped in for the adventure and of coarse I grabbed my mutt, gunnar.

I had worked all day so were getting away late but with it being hot this was perfect, we would be hitting our area around 8pm...

we turned onto the road leading to our spot at 8pm.. we still had approx 15-20 minutes to get to cuts and green off shoots, so we crawled along chatting and enjoying the kid free time and adult company

about 15 min in... around a corner.... BEAR!! he was running down the road but stopped on the corner.. her and I bail out, her with rifle, me with tripod... bear steps around corner..we quickly stalk up... seeing him thru the brush on far slope... we go to set up and he starts running up the trail now.. we quickly move into place , I put down tripod while "woofing" at him trying to stop him, which worked perfectly... he stopped and turned broadside, slightly up hill at approx. 150 yards.. not ideal for a new shooter...

I was then wishing I had the gun as it was very clear this was a very big bear.. I glanced over to see she had ditched tripod......? it seemed seemed like forever before .... BOOM!!!

NO one was more surprised than me to see that bear hit the dirt...HARD!! I yelled "holy shit you hit him hun" as I grabbed rifle and reloaded.. he was hit hard.. but attempting to get up.. I didn't want him to suffer or it turning into a tracking job so I put one in his neck...game over!!

GF was dancing around lol, I was in shock... my bro and his gf got out and I let my mutt out to check this guy out.... there was NO shrinkage... closer we got, bigger he got.... solid , thick, black fur with rust colored highlites .... zero rub marks, one of the nicest bears ive seen in a long time...

Didn't take long for gf to one up me in her hunting career.... she beat my best blackie first attempt lol..

Gunnar (my mutt) gave him a few barks and "chews" lol , real tough when the bear is dead right ...lol

pics and we loaded him up... all 4 of us to do it .

caped out 6' 6" ish maybe bit under... on hook, whole 250lbs with feet touching floor, when I picked feet up, 265ish... ZERO FAT!!

she will be very hard pressed to top this one anytime soon, needless to say she is hooked.

when I asked why she ditched tripod... she said it wasn't right height and she didn't have time to deal with it.... her quick decision worked out

now onto my son and maybe me with my bow.. enjoy the pics

her shot hit high lungs with bullet fragments clipping spine , great shot.

://http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/blkbear3_zps8fxey5yg.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/dentonjohnson/media/blkbear3_zps8fxey5yg.jpg.html)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/blkbear2_zpsnkuzifxv.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/dentonjohnson/media/blkbear2_zpsnkuzifxv.jpg.html)

http://http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/dentonjohnson/blkbear_zpsnywiflee.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/dentonjohnson/media/blkbear_zpsnywiflee.jpg.html)

albravo2
06-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Awesome! Love the story. Good for her for ditching the tripod. Nice shot.

Rattler
06-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Sweet bear, especially for a first. Congrats to you and your girlfriend. Job well done on the shooting!

06-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Congratulations to your GF - and good for you that you got her into a fantastic way of life.

Nice Ridgeback - my friend has one in town too. Does your dog have lots of drive?

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Nicely done. Solid bear she got too.

lightmag
06-06-2016, 10:46 PM
thx, he just turned 5 , amazing dog, smart, quiet, quiet, low key inside, but lot sof energy outside .Your friend Ryan by chance... if yes that is my dogs brother, only year younger, same parents :)

Congratulations to your GF - and good for you that you got her into a fantastic way of life.

Nice Ridgeback - my friend has one in town too. Does your dog have lots of drive?

monasheemountainman
06-06-2016, 11:09 PM
Great bear man congrats to your girlfriend and to you!

06-06-2016, 11:23 PM
thx, he just turned 5 , amazing dog, smart, quiet, quiet, low key inside, but lot sof energy outside .Your friend Ryan by chance... if yes that is my dogs brother, only year younger, same parents :)

No, it's not Ryan. My friend's dog is 8 years old now. There is also a wheaten colour phase Ridgeback that lives near my place. Those dogs have incredible pace - they sure can run.

dmaxtech
06-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Nice bear and love the dog.

srupp
06-07-2016, 12:08 AM
Nice solid bear congrats to all .nice shot.
Steven

Jagermeister
06-07-2016, 12:45 AM
That is quite a nice bear on her first attempt I kinda think she was strokin' your manliness. I think that gal has some previous shooting experience with the willingness to go offhand without coaxing or batting an eye. Nevertheless, she's a keeper and congratulations to her on the excellent shot. Few accomplish that.

lightmag
06-07-2016, 12:50 AM
lol, thx, she has shot paper before with her dad over the years, but that was her first ever shot at any game other then grouse... ive never seriously hunted bears, always just as extra chance to get out or in fall between other big game hunts. But now with teh GF and son as new hunters , its turned into a lot of fun and im starting to take it more serious... might have put some real effort into finding a cranker now lol, but i wont shoot one unless i can get it with my bow on film :)

That is quite a nice bear on her first attempt I kinda think she was strokin' your manliness. I think that gal has some previous shooting experience with the willingness to go offhand without coaxing or batting an eye. Nevertheless, she's a keeper and congratulations to her on the excellent shot. Few accomplish that.

Weatherby Fan
06-07-2016, 12:56 AM
Nice bear you guys, congrats to your gal.
thanks for posting story and pictures !

Xenomorph
06-07-2016, 03:17 AM
What's the saying "couples who play together stay together"?!? :) Well done, first bear to boot.

ydouask
06-07-2016, 05:58 AM
Nice bear ! Looks like you're working on a great team.

swampthing
06-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Good shootin and first bear. Getting a new hunter on game is a great feeling

lightmag
06-13-2016, 12:14 PM
now onto my son!!!! lol,

Paulyman
06-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Read the title of the thread and thought it was something much different...

Five
06-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Was I the only one expecting something very different when I clicked this title? :razz:

Congratulations, very nice bear!

scotty30-06
06-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Nice bear!!!!

Xenomorph
06-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Read the title of the thread and thought it was something much different...

Was I the only one expecting something very different when I clicked this title? :razz:

Congratulations, very nice bear!

HAHAHAHAHA, thanks to you two pervs, my eyes have been opened. Good one!

panhead
06-14-2016, 07:48 AM
That is a big ole bar ... congrats and good luck to your son ... them there bars need a little culling.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desire is the cause of all suffering.

Boner
06-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Congrats on a great hunt. It's nice you can hunt with your gf.

Makes me miss my ridgeback seeing your buddy in the photo.