PDA

View Full Version : Is it blacktail season yet? Here's my new rattle set!

caddisguy
06-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Well, it takes up a lot more room than the rattle bag, but I can already tell this is going to be worth packing around.

I am fine tuning my blacktail game (or lack there of) this year. Every little thing I can think of that can make a lick of difference, I am doing it. My mind is already working full force, thinking of every little thing I've done wrong or could do better. Everything from not just paying attention to the wind, but where you walk (ie: doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing if you walk a border between a feeding and bedding area before first light) And calling... not what you use to call, but when to use it. Do you walk into a spot and just start hitting the grunt tube, can-call or rattle bag? Probably not a great idea either... better to sit quiet for 20-30 mins and then do a little... be the hard to get sound maker and don't give it all up at once. Tease like a hot chick. I'm going to be the hot chick this year and knock a stud buck off his feet.

I knew I needed a rattle set beyond the plastic bag-of-checkers sound you typically get from a rattle bag. Found a nice guy from Kammytown who dug through his stash and spent some time figuring out what would work for me. Oh man what a difference these make. There is no way you can get even close with a rattle bag. Not saying a rattle bag will never work, but I doubt it could be anywhere near as effective because it just doesn't sound the same or even similar for that matter.

These seem to be from a fairly small 4 point muley. Small bases and dense configuration similar to a BT though. Not bad to carry, but still deadly to fall on. I'll have to round off the tines and maybe do a little trimming off the tines and the base, but I don't want to ruin the tuning fork effect.

Anyway... check out my rack... some teasing pleasin kinda tines!!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/rattle1_zpsiy0wjejn.jpg

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/rattle2_zpsbdakwyko.jpg

Brew
06-06-2016, 09:21 PM
Those should work just perfect. Shot a few blacktails but I have never rattled one in. Would like to try it more

Ryo
06-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Nice! I looked high and low for a compact 4 point set this spring to replace my old rattles (2 dried out forks cut from one 4 point), but had to settle with a small 3x3 set. Of the 18 sheds I picked up, it meshed the best (and was the only matched set!)' Rattling blacktails works, just watch your back!

i am envious of your set!

Sharpish
06-06-2016, 09:31 PM
I've ranged high and low after blacktails, now I just wait until the rut is in full swing, head to your favourite spot in full dark, hunker down and point your rifle into the wind.

I've jumped them from their beds hiking or busted them driving down logging roads but the older big bucks are wary and nocturnal when they're not rutting.

caddisguy
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM
I got really inspired about calling this spring when we were using a fawn call trying to lure a bear that was sharing the timber. Instead we called in a couple of BT does. Some magic moments! They really wanted to know what was going on and even though they were upwind, what busted us was that they were on top of our footprints from an hour prior. They were only about 15 yards out and the stare down lasted a good 10 mins. I let out a few more while they were standing there but if I think I hadn't they would have come in closer. It's really a really neat situation to be in while they animal is looking for you and standing around trying to figure you out.

Other than that I have not had much success with sounds/calls in the fall. I've had a buck grunt back at my grunt tube from the next ridge up, but I also realize I was making a lot of mistakes in terms in when it's ok it call and when it's not, how often, how obvious, realizing where you put your boots matters just as much as where the wind goes, etc.

A good rattle won't seal the deal... there are so many pieces of the puzzle and it's all about putting them together. Main thing is learning an area and how the deer work in the area and next is the fine tuning. I have never had a chance at a BT buck in my 3.5 year hunting career, but I have spent my time learning a decent area inside and out and I really feel like this year is the year that I put it all together.

ruger#1
06-07-2016, 12:32 AM
I have some small 3X3 whitetail antlers that I use sometimes. They sound better then the bag. I have used them to call in a few muledeer. And they work.

Carrollizer
06-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Shame there isnt as much hunter culture in Vancouver, I'd like to get my hands on some old antlers...
I found 1 small 2pt antler this spring, but it would be nice to have another, if anyone has any collecting dust, please let me know

Sorry for the partial thread hijack... Nice rack

SWD
06-07-2016, 09:08 PM
I have rattled up black tails and took them with my bow.
First 2 weeks nov,
Look for scrapes and rubs.

caddisguy
06-09-2016, 07:52 AM
Nice! I looked high and low for a compact 4 point set this spring to replace my old rattles (2 dried out forks cut from one 4 point), but had to settle with a small 3x3 set. Of the 18 sheds I picked up, it meshed the best (and was the only matched set!)' Rattling blacktails works, just watch your back!

i am envious of your set!

I'm envious of the 18 sheds you found. I have actually never found a shed in my Region 2 areas and I have covered a heck of a lot of ground that holds bucks. That said, I haven't been looking exclusively for sheds and there are some good wintering areas I just don't bother to walk into in the spring because they are either out of my way or tick infested.

Guessing matching sets don't matter. Mis-matching probably makes it more realistic.