PDA

View Full Version : First Bear!!! It's an addiction

joeboughen
06-05-2016, 01:02 PM
My buddy and I have been saying for years that we are going to become hunters and every year hunting season passes and we don't go out life gets the better of us and we are dissapointed. Well this year was different we put in our time driving the fsr and looking for a good spot my buddy got his core and licence I had mine from years ago we got a tag and went out. We hit the fsr around 530 and started up glassing out the cuts that we had checked out earlier and enjoying a good sunny day we got a ways up but weren't seeing much sign and we were getting a bit dissapointed but a friend of a friend said he saw a bunch up where we were and took one the day before. Around 730 we came around a bend and saw a black head poking out of the bush and we glassed it sure enough it was a small/medium boar checked him out for a while to see that nothing else was around and stalked to a good shooting point for my sks with federal fusion ammo. Got him lined up pulled the trigger and nothing happened? Alarm bells went off in my head the safety was off but I hadn't got the bolt pushed far enough to chamber the round properly in my attempt to be quiet. So I seated the bolt lined him up again and fired. The bear just stood there looking at me and just started walking when I took him in the vitals dropped a few feet from where I shot him. The adrenaline rush has me hooked. I need another one.5830

bassplayer
06-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Good job Joe.

caddisguy
06-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Well done and congrats!! Very cool to see a bear taken with 7.62x39. I've been tempted to try taking a critter with the SKS, but I would want to get it back in the wooden stock. Right now it's in a tactical stock and looks pretty ridiculous and even more so for hunting lol

joeboughen
06-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Lol ya my buddy taced out his sks as well but switched back because he found the magazine unreliable I love the idea of a quick follow up shot especially for bear I wouldn't try shooting more than 100 yards although I'm accurate to a 6" group at 200 yards. I think though I will take off the bayonette for the next one it causes too much weight in the front of the gun

HarryToolips
06-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Great job with an SKS to boot congrats...

monasheemountainman
06-05-2016, 02:28 PM
sweet! congrats!

jeremy84
06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Congrats on a nice boar! The sks is a decent rifle for anything up to 100 yards, i got my first deer and black bear with my sks, but i wouldn't try to shoot any farther than that. i took the wood stock off mine and replaced it with a synthetic one to reduce the weight and took the bayonet off as well.