PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in Dease!

mark
06-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Im not a big fan of starting threads about hunting trips where no game is bagged, but due to alot of inquiries I guess I better post the story! I picked up caveman in Kamloops last sunday and we drove another 13 hours in 30-35 degree heat! On the journey there we saw 2 moose and 13 blackies. The next day we checked out the Jade boulder rd. we quadded to the very top of the drainage basically to the snow line where there was no green and back out again. We glassed every slide area and sub-alpine area we could, only saw 6 caribou! We covered every little side rd in our zone, including the old rail grade, never even saw a bear track or dung pile! :( It pretty much rained for the 3 days we were there and roads were covered in deep water everywhere. In town the locals hadnt seen many grizz and the ones they had seen were way out of my leh area! With local news that roads and bridges were washing out everywhere up there, and no sign at all, we made the descision to get out! As it was we barely made it home with flooding everywhere and roads washed out. 2 grizz LEH's in a row and zip for bears, maybe next year! :confused:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0242.jpg http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0244.jpg

StoneChaser
06-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Too bad... I figured from the pre trip scouting report from the locals (bears everywhere...more than ever before) that you'd whack a hawg!

Oh well, there's always the two words I hate to mutter after a long hard hunt w/no critters in the pack.... "Next Year"!

Thanks for the great pics!

StoneChaser

BCLongshot
06-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Bummer but ya did it and that's better than most.

Another crack next year.

You know if it was easy it wouldn't be so much damn fun.

Glad you went.

mark
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Everone up there was seeing blackies, so thats probably where the "bears everywhere" came from. Ill bet I was the only LEH holder out of the 10 issued that even tried. No locals we talked to even heard of someone hunting grizzlys around town, and we saw NO-ONE in the backcountry!

bruin
06-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Too bad dude, at least you know not to waste your time there next year.

Kirby
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Too bad, was hoping to see you and Caveman on a monster. Oh well, there is always next year.

Kirby

quadrakid
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
looks like you got to see some nice country and any roadtrip is a good road trip, beats working. you will get ,em eventually mark and it will be that much sweeter for all the time and effort. thanks for the story.

boxhitch
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Good on ya' for getting out there, Mark. And Caveman. Sux to go into an area blind, but you gave it a good shot.
There must be G bears there, though, right ? I mean, well, they put out tags, so there must be ? (sarc)

Caveman
06-11-2007, 08:22 PM
:eek:Mark, you forgot to mention the we had the "Dease Lake experience". We talked to Andrew at "The Restaurant", who is the cook and he told us to come back in the evening if we had no luck and he would hook us up with guy that would be in the know. So as on "Que" that evening we stopped in and he rushed us to "The Pub", to meet his contact. As we waited he leans over the table to warn us of the local Indians. He told us the the "Tel Tan" men are warriors and to walk softly around them because they had raped and pillaged every village from here to somewhere. The only ones we encountered was one in a cowboy hat just about two big breaths from falling over, Harold singing Johnny Cash at the top of his lungs while playing pool, and Sheldon and Jesse who just quietly sat and had a few drinks, Sheldon with his mother. We were joined by the three waitresses from the Restaurant, who all took jobs there from an add on the Internet. and then the three feared "Tel Tan" men we were to fear. Finally Jason, our man in the know, a much quieter "Nishka" native gave us our well anticipated info while double fisting shooters and beer with a big smile on his face. So now it's last call and finally dark so Mark and I decide it's time to go and as we start to head out , two native girls very astutely notice the camo pants and say, "OH! Hunters, you could hunt us......and it wouldn't even be that hard". So at least now we can say we've had the "Dease Lake Experience":eek:

Caveman
06-11-2007, 08:25 PM
We did see one fair sized brown body sleek into the willows as we drove to Dease lake, which may or may not of been a Grizz. We were expecting to run into a few so we were not really worried about the Hwy.

Caveman
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0251.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Too bad Mark! A looooooong way to go for crappy conditions:icon_frow.

When finally you get your dream draw and you finally connect..........You just got to know.................It's going to be a BOONER!!:-D8) It's going to be a REEEEEEEEEAL BIG BOONER!!
(Sorry, you'll have to reads Clavin's grizz story to figure it out. Inside joke.)

SSS

boxhitch
06-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Caveman- LMAO the dease experience ! Easy to find a party for four there ? :)

Caveman
06-11-2007, 09:38 PM
:lol: They kept telling us all night that all routes out of town were out and we were stranded, maybe for as long as a week or two.........I suspect they were looking for some fresh blood to water down the incestrial gene pool going on :lol:

BCBear
06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
:lol: They kept telling us all night that all routes out of town were out and we were stranded, maybe for as long as a week or two.........I suspect they were looking for some fresh blood to water down the incestrial gene pool going on :lol:

Sounds like a cougar tag would have easily been filled:mrgreen:

You're biggie Grizz is just getting bigger and fatter, you'll get him next time.

slyfox
06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
To bad mark just talk to a friend a week ago that was hunting up there 3 weeks ago for grizz he did get his grizz in gnats pass and did see a couple more.I love hunting that area for bears and will try the draw again next year.

ribber
06-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Caveman, Ever been to Dease on a moose hunt? I was looking for a road into that area but settled on Bruce's plane.We flew into Cry lake last Sept. It's 45 min. airtime North East of town. In 9 days we saw 2 moose and a smalll grizz that took a front half and buried it. Was he/ she p.o'd when we dug it up and washed it off. We left one quarter as it was badly chewed and had to scare it off three times to load the plane .I still want to go back on a quad as these feet done like 15 km hikes anymore. If I may impose on you, where is Jade Boulder Road from town ?, maybe a moose hunt in the fall might work out,

mark
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Ya the bar night was definately the highlight of the trip, im surprized we didnt have stoleaways hiding in the truck box, trying to escape from that place.
Hey Sly, we poked around everywhere we could at the nats area, there was still snow and no green at all, as well no bear tracks or scat.

Ribber, the jade boulder rd. is not marked at all, just a crappy side rd about 5 km. south of town. Pretty well a quad rd, or jacked up jeep. Its an old mine rd. that apparently goes like 80 miles back into the mtns. There was lots of moose camps in there! Nice open country for glassing, lots of wolf and caribou tracks in there.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1717.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5224&size=big&cat=500)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_17181.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5223&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

hunter1947
06-12-2007, 05:33 AM
At least you had the chance to hunt the big guy ,it's the shits when you go that far thinking a dream will be filled ,but it won't be the last time you get skunked mark ,that's the way hunting is ,one thing about the trip ,it's there in your mind the rest of your life as for your partner caveman ,maybe next time mark and caveman ,nice photos.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2007, 06:36 AM
If I was you guys, I'd be keeping quiet about that "Goldmine of a pub"8-). If you're not careful, pretty soon it'll appear on Playboy's "Top 100 list of places to.....er...........ahhh..........find Companionship", right after Mardis Gras, Ft. Lauderdale and Mountainfest:roll:.....:grin:!! Soon it will become a "Mecca" for single hunters in the fall looking for "guarrenteed success".

I didn't think we allowed "canned hunts" here in BC:roll:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-12-2007, 07:50 AM
We did see one fair sized brown body sleek into the willows as we drove to Dease lake, which may or may not of been a Grizz.

Maybe it was one of the gals from the pub? :wink:

Too bad no fur hit the ground, but it does sound like you boys had some good adventure!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-12-2007, 07:58 AM
F/D-I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I was beginning to think you headed north to break in the duramax!!:-D:-D:-D

SSS

StoneChaser
06-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Surf 'n Turf... where else can a guy hunt mountain grizz, caribou, sheep and moose during the day, and then return to town for a guaranteed chance at a haggard old couger or two and high odds of catching a limit of crabs?

That place is definately a diamond in the rough...no wonder Mark is downplaying the trip :mrgreen:

Elkhound
06-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Surf 'n Turf... where else can a guy hunt mountain grizz, caribou, sheep and moose during the day, and then return to town for a guaranteed chance at a haggard old couger or two and high odds of catching a limit of crabs?

That place is definately a diamond in the rough...no wonder Mark is downplaying the trip :mrgreen:

LOL.....

I guess what hapeens in DL stays in DL.:wink:

Sorry no Grizz guys.

boxhitch
06-12-2007, 12:20 PM
F/D-I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

It took a while for the thread to get around to his fav subject.

Fisher-Dude
06-12-2007, 01:11 PM
It took a while for the thread to get around to his fav subject.

Seems they all end up there at one point or other! :wink:

Most popular HBC hijacks, in no particular order:

1.) Sex
2.) Bows
3.) Quads
4.) Hybrids
5.) Road Warriors

Not everyone sticks to the subject like I do. :biggrin:

ribber
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
:-?Thanks Mark, The guy I went to Dease with last fall is going to fly into Tuya this year with his brother- inlaw as I'm kind of booked up. Is there any other areas that you know of to quad to up there. I finally convinced the better half to let me get a Honda Foreman and the first year I have it, I FLY!!! into a lake, pretty dumb HUH? then pack meat for a half a mile, really dumb!!!:???:

alremkin
06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Hm, I've never been to Dease Lake, but it's high on my "go to list". I thought there would be more snow up there now, interesting to see the pics. What I've heard about moose hunting up there is that for good luck one needs to fly in to one of the lakes or boat it up a river.

Now I've been Hyderized, but never had the Dease Lake experience. Sounds like if a hunter was desperate for camp followers the local pub would be the place to go. Anyway it's good to get out and see the country hope you'll post a few more pics from there if you have them.:)

Caveman
06-12-2007, 07:25 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0252.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0251.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0246.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/100_0245.jpg

Here are a few more. Beautiful when you in the back country

gameslayer
06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Good post nice pictures Caveman & Mark. Too bad you did not see anything but the night life sounded like a good chuckle. That always make good camp stories. I am looking for a new moose spot ( regular open season rut) as well but heard the quad access around dease was the pits. I was leaning towards areas near the prophet what would be your preference after just being there.

X-man
06-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice pictures Caveman.

Thats why they call it hunting...Killling isn't everything.

Flew out of Dease but never hunted around it..Looks like a great moose spot.

OBee
08-20-2015, 06:33 PM
them are neat pics. i recognize that area on the boulder. my dad and I camped within a few hundred meters of where your standing. cool man!

quadrakid
08-20-2015, 06:46 PM
obee your first post and you resurrect an eight year old thread.Really.

swampthing
08-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Looks like you guys had a pretty good adventure, regardless of shots fired. I didn't bring a grizz home this past spring but I sure had fun trying.

Mik
08-20-2015, 06:53 PM
We hunted the Jade Boulder road many years ago and it was the one and only time in 25 years that we got skunked. However those pics sure bring a lot of memories back of an excellent hunt and a beautiful area. Did you go back far enough and cross over the TurnagIn River ?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Throwback Thursday's????

358mag
08-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Throwback Thursday's????
No kidding maybe rename to Rock Star Thursday ..........

hunter1947
08-21-2015, 04:32 AM
Mark thanks for your story nice to see you post again on HBC and yes you are right there is always next year,,as you know its not always about getting your animal it's having the opportunity to hunt them with your hunting partner or others ,,my saying is having friends to hunt with and tell stories around your camp fire at night is tops when you are out in God's country it's not always about getting your animal..

BiG Boar
08-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Mark you really have seemed to turn over a new leaf on your posting. Good for you posting up an unsuccessful hunt. Great write up and what a story. Maybe you'll get it next spring!

Cyrus
08-21-2015, 06:55 AM
thread is 8 yrs old.....fyi

M.Dean
08-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Nobody else is posting anything, so ya, going back 8 years ain't that bad, is it? And, speaking of talking about a hunting trip where no game was harmed in filming it, over the years I've seen guys that were simply "Pissed" because they didn't get a moose or deer or what ever! Yes, it's great to bring back tons of meat, but settle down man! I treat every hunting trip like I'm on vacation, which I am! I go to have a good time, see new country, explore every little trail I can find and if possible,maybe even shoot a animal! But, if for some reason I didn't get a animal, I don't let it take away from the enjoyment I got from going for 5 or 10 days! Cooking on a fire, a few drinks in the evening, and just sitting around the fire telling hunting story's, what in hell could be better than that? I don't whine and cry all the way home, blaming everyone in the truck for my lack of success, I take every second of the trip and relive it, enjoying every dam black fly bite, remembering every meal, how many animals I did see, and the one I should have shot earlier in the trip, but didn't because I was positive I was going to see a monster, but didn't! To me, every trips a good trip, and as I start getting older, believe me I'm dam glad I went on so many great "Hunting Trips", no matter what the game count was at the end of it! So, get the hell out of the house this hunting season and "Enjoy Yourselves"!!!

Caveman
08-21-2015, 08:03 AM
I forgot all about this thread. Fun to re-live it though

Stone Sheep Steve
08-21-2015, 09:06 AM
I forgot all about this thread. Fun to re-live it though

I find re-reading old threads help with motivation with upcoming hunts or can help with confidence that you just need to keep plugging way and success will eventually follow. Stay positive never give up.

SSS

mark
08-21-2015, 10:55 AM
I log on, first time in 6 months and see an 8 year old thread of mine revived..... guess I havnt missed much lately? lol

wideopenthrottle
08-21-2015, 11:01 AM
that is what is good about new folks...they go though old threads and revive them