View Full Version : black bear with a spear

Red_Mist
06-05-2016, 12:22 PM
I've seen pigs killed with a spear but never a bear

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR4wFtRg74

MichelD
06-05-2016, 12:25 PM
What that friggin' noise on the video?

Supposed to heighten the tension and excitement?

I clicked off.

Xenomorph
06-05-2016, 12:29 PM
I've seen pigs killed with a spear but never a bear

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR4wFtRg74

Very possible but I wouldn't do it. The whole point is dispatch as fast and humanely as possible. I don't know, maybe in a zombie apocalypse we'd get back to using spears, but now that idea doesn't look right to me.

604ksmith
06-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Just another video showing the trend in hunting that "more danger + less efficient means of kills = better."

I'm sure it's a rush, and I'm sure its legal, but I don't think I'll be hunting by spear anymore. I gave that up a few thousand years ago.

Also, I'm no "anti" but as soon as I realized the hunter was using the spear I started to route for the bear. I guess I now know what "anti's'" feel like.

AgSilver
06-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Just another video showing the trend in hunting that "more danger + less efficient means of kills = better."

I'm sure it's a rush, and I'm sure its legal, but I don't think I'll be hunting by spear anymore. I gave that up a few thousand years ago.

Also, I'm no "anti" but as soon as I realized the hunter was using the spear I started to route for the bear. I guess I now know what "anti's'" feel like.

I'm with you. This just comes down to unnecessary suffering. "organs hanging out" etc. Something just "feels" wrong about it. I'm sure I'll take shit for that, but hey, I am who I am.

RiverOtter
06-05-2016, 01:34 PM
While I don't think the accuracy of a spear equals a bow, I definitely would not say given similar placement it's any less humane. Defining humane is a slippery slope, as in my opinion "humane" is in large part hinged on intent. In other words practising with your chosen tool until your proficient, then trying your utmost to do as much vital damage as possible to make the act of killing as short as possible. Beyond that, once a bullet leaves the barrel, an arrow leaves the string, or a spear leaves your hand, you can no longer impart anymore influence and the chips fall where they may....

And while I'd concur that in bear hunting, "You pays your money and takes your chances","Rooting" for the bear is out of line and divisive and not what the hunting community should be about. Obviously YMMV....

RiverOtter
06-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I should add, that I along with others here did not find the video particularly tasteful, universal audience aside, but then again I find anything that over dramatizes the act of taking a life, no matter the weapon, to be in poor taste....

604ksmith
06-05-2016, 01:46 PM
"Rooting" for the bear is out of line and divisive and not what the hunting community should be about. Obviously YMMV....

I know my "routing (sic - thanks)" was an aggressive statement, but I didn't mean I wanted to see the bear kill the hunter. I just wanted to root for the bear to get away.

That being said, I do think hunting by spear is disrespectful to the animal. I think we as humans have the right to hunt and chose to kill, but I think we should do so in ways that are highly effective as a sign of respect. I don't think our ancestors would've went back to spears after they had bows. Both for the suffering of our prey, and for the risk that the scenario may turn against us.

Fella
06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
wonder what he calls that little dance he did? Looks like some sort of crab scuttle.

scoutlt1
06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
No thanks.

AgSilver
06-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm sure a spear can be 100% "humane" (my take on this is a swift and efficient kill that leads to minimal suffering), but I don't feel like this was necessarily it. This tore a large hole in the side of the bear such that its intestines were falling out AND wasn't recovered until the next day.

I haven't killed nearly enough animals to have a fully educated view on the matter, but viscerally...it's not inspiring.

Fella
06-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Yah looked "gutshot" to me. That's just my opinion though based on a not very thorough examination.

KodiakHntr
06-05-2016, 02:06 PM
As someone who has hunted black bears with a spear (successfully), as well as a coyote, I would have to say that a proper spear with a sharp head is MORE effective than an arrow. A 10" long blade that is 3" wide has way more cutting area than any broad head ever fielded.

That said, I've used thrusting spears, not throwing spears. Tougher to miss your mark when the spear is in your hands.

As to the evolutionary aspect, there is always that segment of the population that tries to make things easier and more "efficient", as it then evens out the playing field for those of us with less skill. And there will always be that segment of the population that will use a less efficient, less modern weapon, to add some challenge to whatever they hunt. Otherwise, for some of us, there simply isn't a challenge any more, and it becomes merely killing.

We've seen it a lot this spring so far with the bear threads. Some guys are new to this, and are asking for help to collect their first bears. Some are terrified of bears, and it shows, some are uncertain of what to expect, and it shows, and some are simply unable to connect for whatever reasons. For these guys, the challenge is simply in finding ANY success.

If I wanted to simply kill an average black bear, I could leave the house right now, and be back by dark with one. I would carry a rifle that most wouldn't even consider as an option, and I would be successful. If I wanted a bit more challenge, I would restrict it to being a large boar. Might take me another afternoon to find a good one, but I would be successful. If I wanted even more challenge, I would carry my Mathews and stay with my self imposed restrictions.

And if I want to enjoy the thrill of the sneak, and possibly, just maybe, find the right bear, in the right place, at the right time, and just maybe I would be able to use ALL my skills to play the wind and the cover, and get within 2 yards, and just maybe, maybe, I *might* be able to slip that big Cold Steel blade betwixt some ribs..... And then I'll feel the same thrill that the new guy feels, when everything comes together for him.

RiverOtter
06-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Okay, then where does the line get drawn? Bows improved on spears and guns improved on bows, not too mention bows and guns evolving within themselves.

And further to that, at what point during a bullet/broadhead/spearhead lacerating an animals vital organs does "respect" come into play?
The very act of killing, is by no means respectful. Respect is a human emotion and is isolated to humans. The act of living itself, by default, means that other living things must die, that is reality, not respect nor disrespect.

RiverOtter
06-05-2016, 02:21 PM
My post was directed at earlier posts, as this thread is apparently gaining popularity.... :D

RiverOtter
06-05-2016, 02:25 PM
The recovery the following day was due to nightfall. And to that end, 60 yards is not out of line to what an arrowed bear would travel(For reference) before bleeding out and succumbing to trauma.

wicket
06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
like i just responded on the vid....just because you can doesnt mean you should. I personally hated it.

campking
06-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Not sure why but I have never been a fan of baiting seems to take the challenge out of it, just not my thing but perfectly legal and to each their own.

As far as the spear I would be very curious how many are wounded compared to modern firearms and bows which I think would me accurate than the spear.

Just my 2 cents worth.

butcher
06-05-2016, 04:30 PM
As someone who has hunted black bears with a spear (successfully), as well as a coyote, I would have to say that a proper spear with a sharp head is MORE effective than an arrow. A 10" long blade that is 3" wide has way more cutting area than any broad head ever fielded.

That said, I've used thrusting spears, not throwing spears. Tougher to miss your mark when the spear is in your hands.

As to the evolutionary aspect, there is always that segment of the population that tries to make things easier and more "efficient", as it then evens out the playing field for those of us with less skill. And there will always be that segment of the population that will use a less efficient, less modern weapon, to add some challenge to whatever they hunt. Otherwise, for some of us, there simply isn't a challenge any more, and it becomes merely killing.

We've seen it a lot this spring so far with the bear threads. Some guys are new to this, and are asking for help to collect their first bears. Some are terrified of bears, and it shows, some are uncertain of what to expect, and it shows, and some are simply unable to connect for whatever reasons. For these guys, the challenge is simply in finding ANY success.

If I wanted to simply kill an average black bear, I could leave the house right now, and be back by dark with one. I would carry a rifle that most wouldn't even consider as an option, and I would be successful. If I wanted a bit more challenge, I would restrict it to being a large boar. Might take me another afternoon to find a good one, but I would be successful. If I wanted even more challenge, I would carry my Mathews and stay with my self imposed restrictions.

And if I want to enjoy the thrill of the sneak, and possibly, just maybe, find the right bear, in the right place, at the right time, and just maybe I would be able to use ALL my skills to play the wind and the cover, and get within 2 yards, and just maybe, maybe, I *might* be able to slip that big Cold Steel blade betwixt some ribs..... And then I'll feel the same thrill that the new guy feels, when everything comes together for him.

agree with all of the above. Killing bears is pretty easy. I don't care to do it with a firearm myself. Feels like cheating to be honest. I own a spear and do plan on using it as well.

Red_Mist
06-05-2016, 04:56 PM
To each his own I guess. It would have never occurred to me to hunt with a spear. I only hunt with a rifle and I enjoy that. I like guns. I like shooting. I like reloading. I've never felt a need to challenge myself hunting. I guess one can impose limits on a hunt ... Size of the animal or how close they can get. Growing up and hunting in BC it's always been spot and stalk for me. Never been interested in hunting over bait. If it's legal and that's how you want to hunt I'm certainly not the moral police to say someone's wrong.

RackStar
06-05-2016, 05:01 PM
stupid video. bait stations are whack... what a stupid way of "hunting" if you so call it.

604Stalker
06-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Bearly ethical not what I would want people doing to an animal anywhere neer me.

wicket
06-05-2016, 06:12 PM
stupid video. bait stations are whack... what a stupid way of "hunting" if you so call it.

exactly it is a stupid way of hunting. Id sooner drive the roads for hours and hours, you see more country that way.

J_06
06-05-2016, 08:15 PM
It's funny you see people given praise for a bow kill, how is this any different? A pointy stuck is a pointy stick, except this ones even bigger!? Like **** if I'm gonna stab a bear with a stick but it is very narrow minded to judge someone for killing an animal in another way than you. And bait hunting is ****ing ******ed. Webster's dictionary: the activity or sport of chasing and killing wild animal. So putting out donuts and burning honey while sitting in a tree waiting 50 yards from your truck is "hunting"? I'd rather hunt for earth worms than do that crap.

ElectricDyck
06-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Im totally fine with the vid was actually disappointed he didn't shove the spear into the bear, now that woud be a good vid..you guys ever seen the sword bear bait vid..that guy had balls!

Dougielightning
06-05-2016, 09:35 PM
What are we talking about here?? Does a wolf dispatch a moose calf humanely??? A hunter who failed to check the zero on his rifle that year and gut shoots a deer, is that humane??? Bait stations, don't get me started, how many teeny tiny bears are shot every year by simply misjudging them. At least a bait station lets the hunter judge the animal before shooting it. I'm not a fan of bait stations but can't argue with the method. Just because one has a rifle, does not make this more humane than others or more accurate or deadly. Respect is being able to reach out 100,200,300. In some case 1200 yards to harvest an animal??? Yeah right. Compound bow shooting 70 lbs pull and a 45-50 lb traditional bow?? Where do we draw the line of what's right or wrong?? Big difference between dispatching humanely and respectfully and what it means to you or me. Seems fair to me, hunter, a bear and a spear. I'd take those odds over a high power rifle any day, if I was a bear. That was far more effective kill than many bears that will be taken this year, by rifles bow or what have you. And for those of you who have been fortunate enough to have animals fall over dead in their cross hairs, never have to go looking, or never ever had to fire a second or third shot at an animal is indeed fortunate, because ........... You will, it is common, don't judge the next guy for the method he chooses. 2 cents

Gateholio
06-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Baiting bears is condemned by those ignorant of the process. It's far harder than how most BC bears are hunted.

lwing
06-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Nothing wrong with rooting for they bear,, never met a bear I didn't respect,
congrats to the hunter

Red_Mist
06-05-2016, 10:22 PM
Baiting bears is condemned by those ignorant of the process. It's far harder than how most BC bears are hunted.

i don't know anything about baiting. That said I've been that close to bears and not baiting. It just doesn't interest me as a method to hunt black bear. You ask me if I wanna go hunt pigs in texas over a feeder , oh hell ya I'm in !

IslandBC
06-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Anyone here bait fish? Regs are regs . It's a legal HUNT. Hunters judging other hunters by the way they lawfully hunt. If it was legal in BC I would be all over that.

Xenomorph
06-05-2016, 11:10 PM
What are we talking about here?? Does a wolf dispatch a moose calf humanely??? A hunter who failed to check the zero on his rifle that year and gut shoots a deer, is that humane??? Bait stations, don't get me started, how many teeny tiny bears are shot every year by simply misjudging them. At least a bait station lets the hunter judge the animal before shooting it. I'm not a fan of bait stations but can't argue with the method. Just because one has a rifle, does not make this more humane than others or more accurate or deadly. Respect is being able to reach out 100,200,300. In some case 1200 yards to harvest an animal??? Yeah right. Compound bow shooting 70 lbs pull and a 45-50 lb traditional bow?? Where do we draw the line of what's right or wrong?? Big difference between dispatching humanely and respectfully and what it means to you or me. Seems fair to me, hunter, a bear and a spear. I'd take those odds over a high power rifle any day, if I was a bear. That was far more effective kill than many bears that will be taken this year, by rifles bow or what have you. And for those of you who have been fortunate enough to have animals fall over dead in their cross hairs, never have to go looking, or never ever had to fire a second or third shot at an animal is indeed fortunate, because ........... You will, it is common, don't judge the next guy for the method he chooses. 2 cents

You made some really strong arguments there, thank you.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with the method. The spear. The baiting even less. Too much to process. Too many things to consider. I like roaming the mountains, find signs, fresh and try my luck that way.

Watched the video again and from what I understand the camera lady has no backup guns nada. Pretty badass. Good for him for trying, I wouldn't.

Last fall's bear took it in the heart at 20yards after a stalk.
This spring's bruiser took it behind the ear and he just flopped down where he stood.

Gateholio
06-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Anyone here bait fish? Regs are regs . It's a legal HUNT. Hunters judging other hunters by the way they lawfully hunt. If it was legal in BC I would be all over that.

I don't see why BC doesn't allow bear baiting, because most of the rest of Canada does, but even if it were legal, I probably wouldn't do it. Why? No it's not because I think it's unethical or not REAL hunting or whatever.....It's becuase it's just way too much work, way too much effort and not nearly as fun as how it's mostly done in BC, which includes the most popular BC method- the F250 Spot and Stalk.

Setting up and maintaining a bait station is too much work for most BC hunters, to be honest. But in some areas it's really the most viable method of hunting bear.

Drillbit
06-06-2016, 12:05 AM
I don't see why BC doesn't allow bear baiting, because most of the rest of Canada does, but even if it were legal, I probably wouldn't do it. Why? No it's not because I think it's unethical or not REAL hunting or whatever.....It's becuase it's just way too much work, way too much effort and not nearly as fun as how it's mostly done in BC, which includes the most popular BC method- the F250 Spot and Stalk.

Setting up and maintaining a bait station is too much work for most BC hunters, to be honest. But in some areas it's really the most viable method of hunting bear.

I have a buddy from NB that comes to BC every year to hunt bears with me.

Back there, everything is too thick and the bears are basically nocturnal, so baiting is a must. After listening to him for about how much work it is, I'd never do it either.

So, he comes to BC. I drive him around and show him 30 bears a day. He gets jacked every-time, cause I alway say "THERE'S A BEAR!!" "GET HIM, GET HIM!! hahahaha!!
He always goes home happy.

As far as spearing a bear.....I wouldn't do it, but good for who-ever does it or wants to.

Not enough bear hunters in BC, not enough calves/fawns either. To me, it's a coincedence.

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 07:14 AM
I have heard the main reason BC doesn't allow baiting is due to grizzlies, which in my opinion is the right call. Grizzlies are far more protective of a food source and due to baits often being set up near roads to facilitate easier restocking, it could easily cause conflict with other recreational users of the area. All that aside, baiting is a lot of work, as you inevitably feed a LOT of dink bears while waiting for a big one to show up.

We have a lot of good bear habitat and mountains, roads and cut blocks allow for good spotting opportunities, so I really don't think we suffer much from not allowing baiting.

digger dogger
06-06-2016, 08:28 AM

It is legal in BC, to spear a bear.

rides bike to work
06-06-2016, 08:35 AM
When I was 7 we where all dressed up ready to head out to a wedding or something and I shot an wounded a crow with my pellet gun it was flapping around the back yard and I was a bit distraught my dad came out in his suite quite upset I was messing around while they where trying to get going he grabbed the pitch fork and speared the crow from 20ft the catapulted it into the bush an told me to get in the gdam car. My dad is my hero

Xenomorph
06-06-2016, 09:52 AM

That comes as a surprise, and possibly an excuse to get a wicked spear :)

David Heitsman
06-06-2016, 01:15 PM

Really, I see firearms, muzzle loaders, shotguns, bows, crossbows and falcon's listed as items to hunt with. No mention of spears, that I can see. What's next, bolas and boomerangs?

BRvalley
06-06-2016, 01:38 PM
The more primitive the weapon, the more practice and skill is required to become proficient with it. As long as any weapon is in competent hands, don't have any issues with it...don't see myself ever feeling the desire to kill a bear with a spear...did shoot a bunch of grouse as a kid with a homemade blow gun, so to each their own

BiG Boar
06-06-2016, 01:52 PM
There sure are a lot of ignorant people on this thread.

Fact number one: A spear of that sized blade has twice as much cutting surface and kinetic energy than any broadhead on the market (with a properly trained thrower). So if you don't think this is an ethical weapon of choice, you must also think they should outlaw bow hunting.

Fact number two: Driving around in a truck shooting animals or bears off the road isn't legal in many places. It is looked at as unethical and wrong by more hunters than baiting bears. So statistically, if you think baiting is unethical, but "spot and stalk" isn't, you're wrong.

Fact number three: If you put a cut of that size in any animal, the intestines will fall out if part of the cut is below the diaphragm.

Fact number four: The music did suck.

I have personally killed 5 animals with a spear including a cougar, and I have hunted other animals over bait. So this is speaking from experience, not just warm cozy emotional feelings inside, of what is wrong that I have absolutely no clue about.

Gateholio
06-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Really, I see firearms, muzzle loaders, shotguns, bows, crossbows and falcon's listed as items to hunt with. No mention of spears, that I can see. What's next, bolas and boomerangs?

Bolas and boomerangs are legal too, as long as you are capable of a quick and clean kill with them. I don't see many people going that route as it must take years to master a boomerang.

Xenomorph
06-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Fact number one: A spear of that sized blade has twice as much cutting surface and kinetic energy than any broadhead on the market (with a properly trained thrower). So if you don't think this is an ethical weapon of choice, you must also think they should outlaw bow hunting.

Fact number two: Driving around in a truck shooting animals or bears off the road isn't legal in many places. It is looked at as unethical and wrong by more hunters than baiting bears. So statistically, if you think baiting is unethical, but "spot and stalk" isn't, you're wrong.

Fact number three: If you put a cut of that size in any animal, the intestines will fall out if part of the cut is below the diaphragm.

I have personally killed 5 animals with a spear including a cougar, and I have hunted other animals over bait. So this is speaking from experience, not just warm cozy emotional feelings inside, of what is wrong that I have absolutely no clue about.

I'll address my comments in particular, if need be to clarify :), and I am thankful for this solid point of view.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd be able to ethically dispatch a bear with a spear. I'm good with a rifle and my #80 bows. I've never tried or thought about using a spear, but I have to say, given the time and company I'd most likely end up doing it, just because it's a badass way of doing it in itself.

Hats off to you man, it must be a totally different experience.

AgSilver
06-06-2016, 04:03 PM
I'll address my comments in particular, if need be to clarify :), and I am thankful for this solid point of view.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd be able to ethically dispatch a bear with a spear. I'm good with a rifle and my #80 bows. I've never tried or thought about using a spear, but I have to say, given the time and company I'd most likely end up doing it, just because it's a badass way of doing it in itself.

Hats off to you man, it must be a totally different experience.

I think that's the issue - the video doesn't "appear" to necessarily consist of an ethical kill. I guess there's a lot of information missing, but the gut reaction (no pun intended) isn't warm and fuzzy. At least not for me.

IslandBC
06-06-2016, 04:31 PM
i was talking about the baiting

KodiakHntr
06-06-2016, 05:09 PM
I think that's the issue - the video doesn't "appear" to necessarily consist of an ethical kill. I guess there's a lot of information missing, but the gut reaction (no pun intended) isn't warm and fuzzy. At least not for me.

How so? Bear sustained a very large, obviously lethal, cut to his midsection that had him bleed out inside of 60 yards (I think that's what the video said, correct me if I'm wrong). Having arrowed bears before, that is about what you would expect from a bear shot square through heart with a broadhead. Nobody can deny that an arrow through the ticker is exceptionally quick and lethal, and I dare say, "ethical".

The celebration may have been in poor taste, but I would think that anyone here would likely be rather jacked up on adrenaline after having a bear come in aggressively and facing him on the ground with nothing but a single shot spear.

The shooter (flinger?) had obviously spent a lot of time practicing, given his explanation of the rope and glue modification to his spear, and he felt it was within his comfort zone. He spent the time to wait for the bear to present the angle he wanted, and he made his shot (throw?). He was off the mark a bit, granted, but that can happen any time you get to the edges of your capabilities. I'm fairly certain that MANY members here have made less than perfect shots that had WAY less adrenaline involved. However, he stuck the liver from what I could tell, and nothing on the planet will shrug off a big cut to an organ full of blood vessels. A liver hit is every bit as fatal as the heart or lungs.

That said, I can understand the aversion to the video. Not really pleasant to be reminded that sometimes things don't go as well as intended, and that sometime you might make a shot that ends up with an animals guts hanging out on the ground, regardless of how fast the animal goes down.

AgSilver
06-06-2016, 06:08 PM
How so? Bear sustained a very large, obviously lethal, cut to his midsection that had him bleed out inside of 60 yards (I think that's what the video said, correct me if I'm wrong). Having arrowed bears before, that is about what you would expect from a bear shot square through heart with a broadhead. Nobody can deny that an arrow through the ticker is exceptionally quick and lethal, and I dare say, "ethical".

The celebration may have been in poor taste, but I would think that anyone here would likely be rather jacked up on adrenaline after having a bear come in aggressively and facing him on the ground with nothing but a single shot spear.

The shooter (flinger?) had obviously spent a lot of time practicing, given his explanation of the rope and glue modification to his spear, and he felt it was within his comfort zone. He spent the time to wait for the bear to present the angle he wanted, and he made his shot (throw?). He was off the mark a bit, granted, but that can happen any time you get to the edges of your capabilities. I'm fairly certain that MANY members here have made less than perfect shots that had WAY less adrenaline involved. However, he stuck the liver from what I could tell, and nothing on the planet will shrug off a big cut to an organ full of blood vessels. A liver hit is every bit as fatal as the heart or lungs.

That said, I can understand the aversion to the video. Not really pleasant to be reminded that sometimes things don't go as well as intended, and that sometime you might make a shot that ends up with an animals guts hanging out on the ground, regardless of how fast the animal goes down.

I admit I'm basing my "opinion" (which is formed on very little information) on a visceral reaction and that we lack information. We don't know if the bear died in 60 yards (again, it's not a pleasant video, but I'd have to admit probably fits into ethical) or if he bedded down to try to recover and was in immense pain from having his guts hanging out.

You definitely have WAY more experience than I do and I trust your judgment from what I've read. Just based on the info that I can see presented in the video, I have doubts as to exactly what happened and given that no recovery was made until the next day (with good reason), we just don't know. That's all.

SSG-man
06-06-2016, 06:58 PM
No matter what you think about it, fact is if its out there for everyone to see in its basic barbarian form and that along with the fact we assume the animal has suffered for a fair amount of time before it bleeds to death or dies from shock is enough to arm the antis against any and all forms of hunting.

There is a difference between doing it for sustenance and doing it for glory, recognition by videoing and posting.

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 07:04 PM
While somewhat grotesque to look at for sure, I'm not certain inards even have nerve endings to speak of. It's more of a, "That looked aweful, it must have been painful" humanization.

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 07:17 PM
No matter what you think about it, fact is if its out there for everyone to see in its basic barbarian form and that along with the fact we assume the animal has suffered for a fair amount of time before it bleeds to death or dies from shock is enough to arm the antis against any and all forms of hunting.

There is a difference between doing it for sustenance and doing it for glory, recognition by videoing and posting.
At the end of the day, it really makes no difference to the anti's. You could brain shoot a barn cow point blank, killing it instantly, and they'd still cry foul; nerve twitches would be viewed as "suffering" by some.

But again, I agree, a smidge of editing would have done that video wonders, for the public eye.

StuBrown
06-07-2016, 08:43 AM
When the spear hit the tree after the bear starting running the blade did just not pop out. It cut its way out and really opened up the bear.

souwester
06-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Two questions ....
#1 AgSilver have you actually ever gone hunting?
#2 AgSilver what do you feel would be the best addition to the Core course?
option 1 a discussion about how what we hunters choose to post on social media sites is most likely going to lead to less hunting opportunities in the future if we are not careful.OR,
option 2 a group therapy session at the end of the course where a hot line number was given out for all the new hipster hunters that gave them a place to phone and cry when they saw something that they cant explain or justify to their non hunting friends.

At some point in the future you might have an opportunity to shoot a "trophy" ungulate ,I sure hope u pass on it ,seeing as how" trophy" hunting is so deplorable.

stick that under your Ralph Lauren pillow tonight and sleep on it

Wentrot
06-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Two questions ....
option 1 a discussion about how what we hunters choose to post on social media sites is most likely going to lead to less hunting opportunities in the future if we are not careful.OR,
option 2 a group therapy session at the end of the course where a hot line number was given out for all the new hipster hunters that gave them a place to phone and cry when they saw something that they cant explain or justify to their non hunting friends.

At some point in the future you might have an opportunity to shoot a "trophy" ungulate ,I sure hope u pass on it ,seeing as how" trophy" hunting is so deplorable.

God bless you sir

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Two questions ....

I'll answer your questions with a question. Whatever would you do to justify your moral, political, and intellectual superiority without having people like me around to condescend to?

The simple intellectual process of having someone disagree with you (and I'm one of many on this thread that found the video distasteful) allows you to generate gems like what you've given us above. Don't you feel like I've just made your life that much better? You should be thanking me instead of being a dick. But if you don't get to be a dick, then you'd have nothing to thank me for. Oh, what a conundrum.

Everyone doesn't have to like everything. Look at you, you don't like a handsome, well-heeled guy like me. I don't like the idea of killing an animal just to put it on my wall and notch my bedpost with another part of nature that I've screwed. I fully acknowledge the hypocrisy in not wanting to do something for environmental reasons while I drive, use plastic, live in a house in a city and am writing this on an iPhone, by the way, but that's where I draw a personal line. But if it isn't illegal, I'm not going to try to stop you from doing something just because I don't like it. Doesn't stop me from saying that I don't like it, though.

On another note, shooting a big ungulate (let's call it a trophy for the sake of the discussion) that is then reasonably fully consumed isn't on the same plane as shooting a big bear whose meat goes to "waste" (although consumed by many other creatures in nature). To argue otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

And my pillow is actually Tommy Hilfiger...I shop at Winners, not the Bay...how rich do you think I am?

souwester
06-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I appreciate you are capable of making a smart, coherent comeback.
I get no moral,political or intellectual superiority gratification out of calling horseshit what it is,Its just something I do.
cheers

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Without being a jerk or acting purposefully inept, I'm asking honestly - which part is horseshit? That killing a bear with a spear in the way this guy did it leaves me with doubts as to how clean of a kill it was, which then leaves me with doubts about the ethics of the method of the kill. Is that unreasonable or unfair? I don't think of myself as a yes man, so don't feel the need to support every video that portrays a "hunt" simply because it's hunting.

souwester
06-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Your entitled to your opinions as is anyone.
You are obviously reasonably intelligent so you should be prepared to argue people at least as intelligent and possibly more well heeled if you want to go down the road of suggesting one method of harvesting an animal is better than another,Regardless if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
You are going to encounter resistance when you do this and not all of us will be idiots.

If you want to argue poor choice in posting a video to the web,You already won.

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Your entitled to your opinions as is anyone.
You are obviously reasonably intelligent so you should be prepared to argue people at least as intelligent and possibly more well heeled if you want to go down the road of suggesting one method of harvesting an animal is better than another,Regardless if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
You are going to encounter resistance when you do this and not all of us will be idiots.

If you want to argue poor choice in posting a video to the web,You already won.

I agree with all of that. And at a certain point, it all comes down to opinion...well informed or, like mine, gut reaction formed when considering what has been shown.

For what it's worth - I don't even think that all spear hunting would be "bad"...but I didn't like this one.

Red_Mist
06-07-2016, 09:29 PM
It's a tough call. Last light. Maybe not the best angle. But the hunter did make the kill. And as others have pointed out its a very large wound channel likely penetrating the liver. If the bear went 60 yards .... It died rather quickly. The recovery the next day was due to no back up weapon and everyone makes a call on their own personal safety. Some feel that the throw was bad because it was farther back but this can happen with a bow and certainly with a rifle. So I personally can't say anything bad about the hunter killing that animal in a legal manner. Ag not sure if you've killed a bear before but if you didn't like that vid your not gonna like the death moan bears make as they die.

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Ag not sure if you've killed a bear before but if you didn't like that vid your not gonna like the death moan bears make as they die.

I haven't, and not sure that I will. Maybe. But you're probably right - but I'm hoping you don't like the death moans either. When you start to like it, that's a bit scary!

Red_Mist
06-07-2016, 10:21 PM
Your correct.

Daybreak
06-07-2016, 10:24 PM
If you're hearing them, it means you accomplished what you set out to do. Not sure what all the fuss is about here. If you want to hunt you have to accept that blood will be spilled in a multitude of ways. If someone is bothered by the sights or sounds of a kill they will surely have a tough time with the work that follows.

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 10:50 PM
If you're hearing them, it means you accomplished what you set out to do. Not sure what all the fuss is about here. If you want to hunt you have to accept that blood will be spilled in a multitude of ways. If someone is bothered by the sights or sounds of a kill they will surely have a tough time with the work that follows.

Not trying to split hairs, but being happy to hear something and enjoying the sound...those are two very different things.

Daybreak
06-07-2016, 11:02 PM
Not trying to split hairs, but being happy to hear something and enjoying the sound...those are two very different things.

You've got 8 days to take a bear. Failing that, you will have to wait over 3 months to shoot a deer. That should be plenty of time to sort out how you feel about all of this.

Hunting makes me happy and I get enjoyment from it too. I don't cherry pick the nice bits, I love it all.

Red_Mist
06-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Region 4 open till the 30th. I'm going tomrw.

AgSilver
06-07-2016, 11:27 PM
You've got 8 days to take a bear. Failing that, you will have to wait over 3 months to shoot a deer. That should be plenty of time to sort out how you feel about all of this.

Hunting makes me happy and I get enjoyment from it too. I don't cherry pick the nice bits, I love it all.

Well, two months to bunnies. I love rabbit.

Elkhound
06-08-2016, 09:45 AM

and according to this the guy was a champion Javelin competitor. The guy knows how to throw. No different than practicing with a bow I guess
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/06/07/video-hunter-lands-throw-bear-intense-ground-spear-hunt/

Xenomorph
06-08-2016, 10:26 AM
It didn't look good to me initially, but I'll be the first two say I don't know two bits about spear hunting.

Thanks to Big Boar's accounts, and the good debate that ensued, I'm comfortable saying I've been educated in the matter, and this is a badass story and hunt. Reaction was subjective and uniformed on my end. I can see definitely see myself trying my hand at it in a few years, albeit the protests from my better half for sure.

KodiakHntr
06-08-2016, 12:35 PM
My hunting buddy's wife successfully protested him from trying it.

Hmmmmmm. My ex didn't try to stop me at all. In fact, she encouraged me to try it.....

wideopenthrottle
06-08-2016, 04:06 PM

Hmmmmmm. My ex didn't try to stop me at all. In fact, she encouraged me to try it.....

now that thar was some funny chit...

AgSilver
06-08-2016, 04:54 PM
and according to this the guy was a champion Javelin competitor. The guy knows how to throw. No different than practicing with a bow I guess
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/06/07/video-hunter-lands-throw-bear-intense-ground-spear-hunt/

Alright, I cave. As distasteful as the video was, given the evidence that you have all presented to me, I concede that it could quite possibly have been a clean kill with a quick death. And for that, I acknowledge that I don't know everything - just basing opinions on one watch of the video.

Xenomorph
06-08-2016, 05:10 PM

Hahahahaha, thanks for that.

KodiakHntr
06-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Gotta lighten the mood somehow boys!

SuomiJagerBC
06-27-2016, 09:39 PM
What a clown...

singlebarbless
06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
nope... anything for a video I guess.. Act for the camera ... and comment that no backup was used. Would have made a great story if the bear got him.

RiverOtter
06-28-2016, 05:19 AM
What a clown...

nope... anything for a video I guess.. Act for the camera ... and comment that no backup was used. Would have made a great story if the bear got him.
Top it......

wideopenthrottle
06-28-2016, 07:22 AM
the one thing I like about it is that on many occasions I have heard anti hunters say something like high powered scopes and big guns make it "unfair"....they sure can't say that about people hunting with sword or spear...heheheheh

Xenomorph
06-28-2016, 07:36 AM
the one thing I like about it is that on many occasions I have heard anti hunters say something like high powered scopes and big guns make it "unfair"....they sure can't say that about people hunting with sword or spear...heheheheh

HA, don't hold your breath, they'll say he didn't close his eyes, or his cammo is unfair, he should have done it bare chested ...or something.