PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Sleeping Bags

IronNoggin
06-04-2016, 12:16 PM
HiYa Folks,

Need some advice here. Headed out for a fly-in hunt this fall, and the old fart-sack is a tad to heavy to be packing any distance.
Need something light, that will keep me Warm (I tend to freeze in most lighter sleeping bags and desperately want to avoid that!!).

Hoping those in the know might be inclined to offer up some advice in this regard....

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

Blockcaver
06-04-2016, 01:07 PM
The Mt Hardware Ultra Lamina bag is a nice backpack bag that compresses well with the included compression sack. It comes (or did) in three temp ratings and two lengths. It has synthetic insulation filling so it won't loose its loft like untreated down if it gets wet, and the price was reasonable a few years ago.

I also have a KUIU treated down bag that is nice but high $$$$ (mine was a gift so no complaints!). The treated down stuffs smaller and saves some weight but a stiff price. I am happy using either on backpack hunts. For truck camping I use a 30 year old synthetic mummy bag that still works fine.

spear
06-04-2016, 01:15 PM
I had a western mountaineering before it was stolen
They are the best if you can swing the money I replaced that bag with a RAB neutrino recently and I'm very impressed. -10 rating st 2lbs 2 oz

Weatherby Fan
06-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I use a Valandre Shocking Blue 3lbs -13F or -25C, you will notice most of the better bags are black on the inside, I find it warms up quicker and will dry out quicker if needed laying in the sun.

Rob
06-04-2016, 02:25 PM
I have a Mont Bell alpine down hugger good for -7 or -9 (?). I find it too warm on most trips(usually early season so its not to cold anyways) so I sleep with it open. The NF Cats meow is reasonably priced and you could grab a liner or wear a base layer. Lots of options once you figure if you want synthetic or down. When is your trip?

RiverRunner
06-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Budget?…. your requirements are leading you to a +$500 bag….

Where and when?…. how cold do you anticipate?

What have you got for a sleep pad…. the wrong pad can make a really good bag suck. A good light pad can lead you down the $200 path pretty quick too...

..and lastly what is your definition of light?…. Mine is 2.5 -3.5lb for the bag and 1-1.5lb for the pad….

RackStar
06-04-2016, 04:22 PM
I got a MEC Aquila -7?
its 1.1kg
only had it to -5 but it was warm as hell

boxhitch
06-04-2016, 04:23 PM
I'm going to try out a Taiga Cloud 9, ~3 lb bag, -11 c.

digger dogger
06-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Western Mountaineering, paired with a exped 9, is as good as sleeping on the ground gets!
Mine is an Apache, -11.
A good bagliner, (integral designs) helps with sticking, if you sweat while sleeping.

ytlogger
06-04-2016, 05:07 PM
There are lots of factors to consider as shown in the posts above. One thing I never realized for many years, is that if the inside of your bag is contacting the outside, it won't matter how much fill there is or how much you spent on it. I, like lots of other guys, am fairly big around the upper body and I used to freeze in good bags until this came to me. I now use a Western Mountaineering Badger that's designed to have more girth and I am warm, with less down than all of my old bags.

IronNoggin
06-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the advise thus far Folks!! Appreciated!

Wow Pricey eh?? :shock:

To answer the questions posed...
Our trip will be the last week of August & first week of September.
Far enough North one might as well say we'll be basically in the Yukon.
Uncertain the range of weather we'll encounter, suspect best be prepared for anything.
Was planning on using my Thermarest for a sleeping pad as it has served well from the Arctic south for many years.
Was hoping to keep the budget around 3 hundred, now appears that might be a tad light...
As noted, I tend to sleep "cold" rather than sweating.
3 = 4 pounds would seem reasonable weight to me.

Interested in any and all further suggestions...

Cheers,
Nog

Lastcar
06-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Dewey swears by Western Mountaineering as do some other non-hunter friends of mine who spend a lot of time in the backcountry. If and when I buy another bag I'll go this route or Feathered Friends out of Seattle. Last bag I owned was Mountain Hardware Phantom 15* F. Light and was great.

But I toss and turn. I'd wake up in the night thinking I was wrapped by a python. Even worse when you need to pee and you can't figure out how to escape the python. I've always just lived with it and went with a wider bag even.

Then I heard about quilts.

Number one reason was mobility when I sleep, cause clearly I am spaz when I sleep. And when I am awake...but anyways... Also some decent weight savings. But mobility was number one. But that had to mean I wouldn't give up any warmth.

I am running quilts right now. Enlightened Equipment Revelation 850 treated down. One 40* F and one 20* F. Which Tim the owner of Enlightened Equipment says bring me down to about -20* F.

Not sure how often I'll use the 40* on its own that often but I have considered it for fast and light scouting trips in the hotter weather in the summer. If I was to do it over again I'd probably go 30* and 10*. Many say they hold pretty true to published temps. I can't say I've paid much attention. Nor had a way to measure the temp when we are in the back country.

40* F bag weighs 14oz and 20* F weights 19oz. Combined 33oz. So certainly some weight savings.

The quilts strap to your sleeping pad in a way that they don't go astray, slide off or any other undesirable effect. The foot box has a zipper that comes ups to the knees or so. Which I slide my pad inside. They have a special strap for when you are doubling your quilts up so they behave as one. Otherwise the top one does slide off. $3 for the extra strap kit. How they strap though still leaves a lot of freedom of movement. Really it just keeps them from sliding off. You are still laying under a quilt. Not just wrapped in a different way than a bag.

Follow the recommendations for width. Or email or call Tim, he'll help you out. Quick answers from the owner of the company are always great. For the quilt to work properly it needs to be wide enough to drape a bit.

So far I've used a Tyvek sheet under my pad/quilt as I run a floorless shelter (Seek Outside LBO). In the right settings, I would be fine without.

I am off tonight for two nights in the backcountry for bear and will go with no Tyvek or ground sheet. I know where I will setting up camp and am not worried about punctures to the pad nor snags on the quilt.

There are some potential downfalls to quilts. Probably not as effective in a survival situation. No hood, so you have to wear some sort of head gear. They sell down hoods with would pretty slick for long glassing sessions in miserable cold weather. Only adds about 2oz if I recall right. There are others I am sure, but so far so good for me.

It is a leap and a leap too far for some to try quilts. The obvious way to try it out is an unzipped sleeping bag. But not quite the same. The straps are what really make it work.

So far so good with mine, but again more than willing to go back to a bag if more time using them exposes any issues I have yet to discover.

Ohwildwon
06-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Spent a G note on WM Antelope gore this summer, it has the extra water resistance on the outer shell...

Looking at the Kifaru Slick bag, synthetic for the known damp conditions, like the way the zipper runs down the middle so you could glass in it all day...

And you wont break the bank either...

https://store.kifaru.net/slick-bag-p73.aspx

sako79
06-05-2016, 08:52 PM
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/pomerhoitUL0

Take a look at these I'm thinking about maybe buying one of these if I get too serious in that backpack hunting it includes the pad all-in-one and they are super light and warm but pricey

albravo2
06-05-2016, 10:00 PM
I have a Feathered Friends -40 bag. The damn thing is about 18" thick, just lying on a table. I bought it after freezing my nuts off on a chilly night with my summer bag. Way too much bag, don't fall into the same trap. I've kept it in case I ever get that mid-winter bison draw, but I get sweaty just thinking about it.

Stone C. Killer
06-05-2016, 10:08 PM
nothin wrong with the kuiu one....0 degree Fahrenheit will keep u warm

bc_buckshot
06-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Nemo sonic 0. Worth the money if you can afford. Has a great venting and loft system

RiverRunner
06-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Can you make it to Valhalla Pure in Nanaimo?

They should be able to take care of you and most likely keep you close to budget if 4lbs isn't unreasonable for you.

…also don't rule out a bag liner, It can turn a moderately warm bag into a really warm bag.

sako79
06-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know if these bags ever go on sale at the end of August or in September are they pretty much stay the same price all the time

noth615
06-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Have an older MEC sleeping bag, it's really warm and gets a recommendation from me!

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-437/mec-talon-10-sleeping-bag-unisex/

MEC TALON ‑10 SLEEPING BAG 2.5 pounds 400$ CAD

MEC TALON ‑3 sleeping bag 1.7 pounds 300$ CAD
800 fill

Asco
08-21-2016, 08:27 AM
Big Agnes bag with the pad that slips in the back- no insulation on the bottom . Never slide off the pad even if you end up sleeping on an incline. Add silk ( I think ) liner super warm. I like the cold in the day time but I'm a puss at night. Ice breaker balaclava ( but on sale or pay too much)

Can't sleep if my feet are cold. Accidentally discovered my best move for sleeping.
As well as bladder I have a 750 ml super cheap nestle water bottle. Drink what's in there, last pee at night goes in the bottle. Bottle goes under the toes- toes are warm and I sleep better.

Repeat at 2 am if necessary.

Ive gotten a couple funny looks, but I'll take em to get a real 4-5 as opposed to none

Squamch
08-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Big Agnes bag with the pad that slips in the back- no insulation on the bottom . Never slide off the pad even if you end up sleeping on an incline. Add silk ( I think ) liner super warm. I like the cold in the day time but I'm a puss at night. Ice breaker balaclava ( but on sale or pay too much)

Can't sleep if my feet are cold. Accidentally discovered my best move for sleeping.
As well as bladder I have a 750 ml super cheap nestle water bottle. Drink what's in there, last pee at night goes in the bottle. Bottle goes under the toes- toes are warm and I sleep better.

Repeat at 2 am if necessary.

Ive gotten a couple funny looks, but I'll take em to get a real 4-5 as opposed to none

when I backpack I like to boil a pot of water and fill my nalgene with that just before bed for the same purpose, plus it's cooled and drinkable if you wake up thirsty. If I want to get extra fancy I've made hot chocolate the night before and had sorta chocolate milk in the morning.

smoothbor
08-21-2016, 09:22 AM
I have a north face super light. Under 3 lbs and quite small when compressed in sack. Never been cold yet on back pack hunts, paired it up with a thermarest neo light and have slept like a baby. But cost does become a factor. I purchased both from Valhalla pure in Nelson

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Excellent thread;

Been using a North Face Thunderhead 20F/-7C (long) for almost ten years now.
Paid $100/each for the two, end of season clearance, got lucky.
Synthetic they be, and have been extremely happy with them until one went missing out of the blue from my gear room, it's a mystery.
I have slept in it down to -20C using a Kelty fleece liner, couldn't tell it was cold out.
Slept in a leaky tent once, woke up to a puddle between my calfs, was rather surprised, I could clearly see a puddle there, but couldn't feel any wet or dampness inside, and I was still warm and toasty.

I've heard if that were a down bag I was in when that happened it would have been a different story, I don't know, never had a down bag to find out, what say you out there? as I too am in the market for a second bag these days.
I'm partial to the synthetic because of the moisture issue, and have been eyeing up a North Face Cats Meow, but would like to hear more on the down and moisture, yay or nay?
I see that down can be packed smaller than synthetic which seems like a plus in the pack, but what might I be trading off for that benefit?

Edit: Aug 22
Well it doesn't matter anymore, just went ahead and bought the North Face Cats Meow, stuck with the synthetic once again.

teelt
08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I have a north face down superlight -18 Celsius bag and it's awesome. Weighs just over 3 lbs and and stuffs into small compression sack.

milarm_cody
08-23-2016, 10:13 AM
I picked up an Eberlestock Ultralight and its been a killer bag. They use Corinthia G-Loft insulation and it just performs so well. Inexpensive compared to similar designed bags, packs small, very light (2.4lbs) I picked up a lighter stuff sack from MEC to reduce the weight a little but I love the bag.

BgBlkDg
08-23-2016, 11:03 AM
HiYa Folks,

Need some advice here. Headed out for a fly-in hunt this fall, and the old fart-sack is a tad to heavy to be packing any distance.
Need something light, that will keep me Warm (I tend to freeze in most lighter sleeping bags and desperately want to avoid that!!).

Hoping those in the know might be inclined to offer up some advice in this regard....

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

I would buy a Western Mountaineering Badger with a RIGHTHAND zipper, so, you can get your hand on your rifle, PDQ. I would buy the Microfiber shell over the GT, had and have both and prefer a MF with a good bivy for most uses.

I have owned-used about every top bag made since 1964 and the finest now made are WM and Valandre, although PHD from the UK has a super reputation.

WM is available, comes in various lengths and the quality is the finest. They do cost a mite, but, with reasonable care will last your lifetime.

I sold all but my custom Integral Designs and Wildthings bags plus one Exped PL Wallcreeper but, IF, I can get my neuro-muscular-skeletal issues fixed, I will buy a Badger as my *go to* bag for most BC uses.

Pemby_mess
08-28-2016, 10:57 PM
I normally sleep in a Western Mountaineering Versalite - sub kilo (908 grams I think) rated -13 and good to probably minus 20. It easily packs to less than a football. I've been down to minus 16 in a bivy and been toasty with no jacket or booties. Throw on another layer of down with the booties and an Exped downmat and i think I could push it to -25 pretty comfortably. With a vapor barrier I'd bet on it in a Yukon winter. I think it costs about 750US though.

Ive also got a Thor from MEC. 800 fill down, 1.8 kilos in a long and rated at -30. Its a really nice bag and a far sight cheaper than the WM stuff, especially with the lower dollar. They make the same model in a -20 bag called asgaard under $500 last time I looked. Moisture resistant shell which helps the down stay well lofted and provides really good wind resistance.

In my experience quality bags are made to demand. The material (European goose down) is a pricey commodity and is never wasted -they dont really ever go on sale. Unfortunately sleeping bags are prime examples of the saying: You can have Cheap, light weight and quality(warmth) - pick two!

Pemby_mess
08-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Excellent thread;

Been using a North Face Thunderhead 20F/-7C (long) for almost ten years now.
Paid $100/each for the two, end of season clearance, got lucky.
Synthetic they be, and have been extremely happy with them until one went missing out of the blue from my gear room, it's a mystery.
I have slept in it down to -20C using a Kelty fleece liner, couldn't tell it was cold out.
Slept in a leaky tent once, woke up to a puddle between my calfs, was rather surprised, I could clearly see a puddle there, but couldn't feel any wet or dampness inside, and I was still warm and toasty.

I've heard if that were a down bag I was in when that happened it would have been a different story, I don't know, never had a down bag to find out, what say you out there? as I too am in the market for a second bag these days.
I'm partial to the synthetic because of the moisture issue, and have been eyeing up a North Face Cats Meow, but would like to hear more on the down and moisture, yay or nay?
I see that down can be packed smaller than synthetic which seems like a plus in the pack, but what might I be trading off for that benefit?

Edit: Aug 22
Well it doesn't matter anymore, just went ahead and bought the North Face Cats Meow, stuck with the synthetic once again.

Not to rag on your purchase but I was going to tell you to avoid the "Cats Meow". I bought one on sale about 10 years ago. It was the "Cat's Meow" for the first few trips after which it had lost all its loft and I would have been better off with a wool blanket. Might of been just a bad run, but I can't say I've heard anything different from other users.

I,ve come to think that the whole synthetic is superior to down because of its moisture resistance is just a bit of sales nonsense. While its true, its a pervasive notion used to sell people on junk with disposable life cycles at a "reasonable price point". If you were constantly camping on the West coast of VI with no shelter than I could see its merits. Any temp under -7C, and there really isnt going to be any available moisture in the air. Most of the time moisture in a tent, isn't from leaking but from condensation - avoidable by venting the inner tent fabric or leaving the door partially open. Similarly, most moisture that a bag is going to be exposed to is not external but internal - from your own body. Worst thing you can do when its cold, and your nose goes numb, is bury your face in the bag so that your breath wets it out. If its really cold, I'll put a jacket over my face instead. I can honestly say, ive never been in a situation where my bag was at risk for getting soaked to the point of failure. Anything short of that - the down dries quickly under nearly any amount of solar. I don't think the slight edge in moisture resistance is worth the tradeoffs at all - Heavy, bulky,coldspots all over the bag, zip for lifespan etc.

If you're outside a lot, you'll perform better with a good nights sleep in a bag that will literally last decades.

BgBlkDg
08-29-2016, 03:11 AM
I tend to use synthetic-insulated bags for most hunting, an Integral Designs (original) combo of a *North Twin* and an *Andromeda Overbag*, good to well below freezing and versatile as it gives both a *camp bag* and an emerg. bag for in a bivy, carried each day in my pack.

I also have and use an Exped Pl. *Wallcreeper* and a *Wildthings* partial bag often known as an *Elephants Toe* for use with a *puffy* in some winter pursuits. I mix and match these as conditions seem to require, with an ID Pl. parka. I have been using gear of this type in solo winter snowshoe treks for almost 50 years with great satisfaction.

Primaloft, or *Pl* is a FAR superior insulation to any other and usually less costly synthetic. I have had a shelter issue on one wet, cold horsepack trip into the Chilcotin, which would have soaked a down bag and it would NEVER have dried in that wet week. So, I prefer the Pl. bags for such uses.

Many years ago, early 70s, I started solo treks in winter into areas in the Kootenays, snowshoes and later skis and used my down bag for this as I was a poor student with no bux for gear. I had an incident one cold night, where a sudden thaw and snowfall wetted my down bag and I was alone, far from any assistance and it then grew colder as the long night wore on.

The bag was useless and I had no tent, but, was dressed in layers of *old school* woolens from the skin out, merino longjohns, shirt and jacshirt. I simply *siwashed* where I was, used the down bag as a windbreak and loosened my pac laces. I changed my woolen socks and sat on my pack and warmed up, went to sleep and was fine until grey dawn made it possible for me to snowshoe out for about three hours.

Woolen clothing and considerable bush experience by age 25 saved my life and my concerns about down come from that and a couple of other incidents. You CANNOT always leave your tent door(s) open in really bad weather and sometimes must siwash where you are if injured or lost, so, for me, there are genuine benefits to GOOD synthetic bags.

If, you know what you are doing, down can be great, but, in long stints in a mountain tent in the snow, it is a real beotch to keep dry and that can be a PITA when hunting time is limited. So, the situation is not quite as simple as it may seem.

I prefer down bags for most uses and may buy one last one for much of what bush stuff I can-will still do, but, I ALWAYS carry a light PL. emerg. bag and an eVent bivy plus small siltarp whenever I leave my vehicle or camp. BTDT, too many times to change what has worked so well.

Synthetics-marketing, probably, but, this whole sport is full of that and one needs to sort out what works for their needs and p*ss on what some dork from LA tells you is *kewl*..........

Backwoods
08-29-2016, 07:17 AM
I purchased a taiga this year, M30 morning star, it's a -11bag, weighs in at 3lbs I used it this year for my fly in sheep hunt in early August, worked awesome!

Pemby_mess
08-29-2016, 08:19 AM
I tend to use synthetic-insulated bags for most hunting, an Integral Designs (original) combo of a *North Twin* and an *Andromeda Overbag*, good to well below freezing and versatile as it gives both a *camp bag* and an emerg. bag for in a bivy, carried each day in my pack..

Yeah, that sounds like a good set up. I had a primaloft overbag - I forgot, how much I used that - I ended up selling in preference of lighter kit.

, or *Pl* is a FAR superior insulation to any other and usually less costly synthetic. I have had a shelter issue on one wet, cold horsepack trip into the Chilcotin, which would have soaked a down bag and it would NEVER have dried in that wet week. So, I prefer the Pl. bags for such uses.

I have to agree -The newer Primaloft stuff and its variants is fantastic, and I'll give it the edge over down in many cases. I have quite a few PL jackets that are my go to layers in the fall. If I saw a sleeping bag in primaloft for a reasonable price, i'd be inclined to give it a try.

, Ifyou know what you are doing, down can be great, but, in long stints in a mountain tent in the snow, it is a real beotch to keep dry and that can be a PITA when hunting time is limited. So, the situation is not quite as simple as it may seem.

I prefer down bags for most uses and may buy one last one for much of what bush stuff I can-will still do, but, I ALWAYS carry a light PL. emerg. bag and an eVent bivy plus small siltarp whenever I leave my vehicle or camp. BTDT, too many times to change what has worked so well.

Ok I'll concede, there's fully a place for quality made synthetics. Good call on the siltarp - always in my pack as well. You should check the WM Versalite as your last down bag - truly one of the most versatile pieces of kit I have.

Rob
08-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Why not check out a quilt, they are lighter than any bag out there.? SR80 got me on the idea. Enlightened Equipment Revolution is the one im looking at, Do a bit a research on the net.

BgBlkDg
08-29-2016, 05:55 PM
The Versalite is too narrow for me and fit in ones bag is damned near as important as in your boots and pack. I had an Alpinlite for a year or two, back in 2008, fine bag, but, still too tight across my shoulders.

You NEED, IMO, to be able to rapidly exit any bag you use in Grizzly country and also have the zipper on the side of your gun hand.....the exact opposite of the recommendations by the MEC types.

Now, that WM has *bag extenders*, I could get another Alpinlite, but, all in all, a Badger, seems best for the widest use and is 6 oz. heavier, but, several degrees warmer.

All of this is subjective to a considerable degree as individual needs and uses differ and while a light (2lb) bag like the ID AOB is an excellent emerg. bag with an ID eVent bivy and merino base layer, down to roughly 10*F and that really encompasses most of what BC mountain hunting throws at us.

Brew
08-29-2016, 09:37 PM
I just purchased a hammock gear burrower 20 quilt. 19 ounces. Packs super small. Now my sleep pad and quilt are under two pounds and take up far less space in my pack.

has a nice footbox if you want to use it in colder weather or you can open it up just like a quilt. Will be using it in the next two week and will have better reviews once I'm back.

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-30-2016, 09:56 PM
Thank's for the heads up Pemby_mess, I do hope the one you had was lemon for my sake, if this bag performs like the Thunderheads did or better, I'll be rather pleased.
The one Thunderhead I still have, still performs as it did on day one. Just wish the other one didn't get up and walk away.

I decided to stick with the synthetic cause it has worked for me in the past, plus it was on sale once again.
Time will tell how well this one holds up, hopefully just like the Thunderhead has so far.

I've enjoyed reading everyones postings on this thread, good knowledge being shared, thanks.