PDA

View Full Version : Bought some lowa Tibet gtx, not sure about them.

Backwoods
06-03-2016, 09:15 AM
I purchased a new set of lowa Tibet gtx hi getting ready for my sheep/goat hunt and I'm not to sure about them, I've had a set of danners for 12 years now and have been an outstanding hunting boot for me but time to hang them up, I've heard all the hype about the lowas, hanwag etc but after wearing them around the house I'm not really liking them, they feel narrow, and doing stairs they put pressure on my ankle/ side of foot, for the price I expected them to feel amazing, tried a 9.5 & a size 10. 9.5 felt almost to small and 10 feel like they have a bit to much play!!! Does anyone have experience with the lowa gtx tibets hi, when they are broke in do they stretch/ mold to your feet better!?!? Hope someone can help, I tried the lowa wide but they only come in a shorter boot ��

nedarb2
06-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I have them and love them. Throw some super feet insoles in and go for a hike, took mine about 8-10hrs of hiking to break in. But not everyone's feet work with every boot. They are a high end boot, as are kennetreks crispis hanwags etc.

Seeker
06-03-2016, 09:48 AM
My last pair of boots were the Lowa Tibet gtx. They were a good boot, no question. I loved them. What I found with those boots is that they did stretch out over time to the point they felt a little sloppy. I ended up having to wear extra socks to fill them out when the boots were getting close to their end. I also found they were a heavier boot, but that may have been due to the extra material required for the higher ankle support. That extra heaviness made me go in another direction as most of my hunting is day hikes without a multiday pack on my back and I found the Hi boots were overkill for 95% of the hunting I was doing. For the trip you are planning the Tibets are a great boot. If you can keep them and wear them inside for a while, I would be patient. If you change your mind I bought a pair of Scarpa's last year and they have been a solid boot so far. Haven't tried the Kenetrek, or Hanwags so can't comment on those.

ACB
06-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Having a pair of boots that don't fit on a hunt of a life time could be heart breaking. I don't know about Lowa except that T.J. sells them on his show, know nothing about Scarpa's, Kenetrek or Hanwags but I do know about Meindl's I'v had five pairs of them, and still use four of them. A J Brooks in vancouver sells them and will not let you leave the store unless your boots fit correctly, I wouldn't buy a pair of expensive boot's any other way. Good boots are too expensive to make a mistake on and improper fitting boots could wreck a whole trip.

MBOGO
06-03-2016, 10:56 AM
I laced mine up out of the box and went goat hunting. I have wide feet so i got the wides. Put the Super-Feet insoles in and they were great.Did you get wide or regular ?

RiverRunner
06-03-2016, 10:36 PM
those boots don't fit you…. don't buy boots solely on reviews.. try as many as you can. When they fit right…. you will know.

SR80
06-04-2016, 06:33 AM
I tried a pair of them on, (not the highs) when i was boot shopping. For me, the hanwags felt way more comfortable out of the box than the lowa did. But thats me. As RiverRunner said, don't buy a boot on reviews. Ive made that mistake before. A lot of guys think they want a certain boot, and only try that boot on, and in the end they dont fit right. Try on as many as you can and compare them, pick the most comfortable one.

Wentrot
06-04-2016, 07:44 AM
As said already, everyone's feet are different. Sell/return em and try something else.

Fella
06-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Great advice, shop around for sure. Sore feet=no bueno.

Backwoods
06-04-2016, 08:41 AM
I laced mine up out of the box and went goat hunting. I have wide feet so i got the wides. Put the Super-Feet insoles in and they were great.Did you get wide or regular ?
I went with the HI so they don't come in the wide unfortunately, I really like having a hi ankle boot

Backwoods
06-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Thank you all for the good info guys!!! I well go back to backcountry and try on some others!! They seem to be really understanding with me so far hahah

Husky7mm
06-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Return them is you can and go for a different brand, the lowas dont fit everyone. Mine were a pain in the foot for over a year. They also seem to get wet easy. My pains came from side hilling, that and I never felt stable in them.
As far as TJ selling them, well they are a sponsored so just like every outdoor show or writer, they are
bias, because they are being paid.

sheephunterab
06-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Actually I wore Lowas for 10 years before they were a sponsor so it was an easy one to take on. I was biased long before I was paid. :) For the OP....it sounds like maybe you need to try the wide model. It sounds more like poor fit than a poor boot. They fit me like a glove with zero break in but your mileage may vary.

Skull Hunter
06-04-2016, 07:56 PM
I wear the gtx hunters. I'm happy with them. My first pair was ordered online and fit a little tight, sold them to another member on here and upped 1/2 size and am happy. Mine fit nicely out of the box and haven't had a problem with them. If you are finding them uncomfortable around the house I wouldn't take them on a hunt. If I were you I'd try to return them and look into another brand, meindl, scarpa, hanwag, etc. Try them all and find the one that fits.

Backwoods
06-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Brought the lowas back, exchanged for a pair of the hanwags tatra top wide gtx!!!! Man what a difference, feels like I could go for a hunt with them right out of the box!!

albravo2
06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Good advice on here, particularly the Superfeet insoles. I think I have 10 pairs so that I never have to swap them around. It might take a day or two for your feet to get used to them, but you'll be glad you did.

sheephunterab
06-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Brought the lowas back, exchanged for a pair of the hanwags tatra top wide gtx!!!! Man what a difference, feels like I could go for a hunt with them right out of the box!!

Sounds like you got some good customer service!

Ourea
06-06-2016, 11:04 AM
The best boots will on serve to disappoint a guy if they don't fit just right ( as several have pointed out )

If you have access to Crispi boots I would encourage u to at least try a pr on as a consideration.

I always packed a pr of camp slippers to let my feet relax after a long day.
That is not the case now since I wear Crispi's. They r incredibly comfortable.

My personal view on some models of the higher end boots, like Lowa and Hanwags, is they are overkill.
Soles with very little lateral flexibility coupled with super stiff uppers can be a nightmare to break in if they don't fit just right.

I think too many folks underestimate the importance of fit when purchasing a premium pr of quality made boots.

BiG Boar
06-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Green super feet insoles. I wear them in my cowboy boots, in both my Lowa hiking boots, and in my work boots. Most $450 boots have junk for insoles, and thats what you're standing on!

RiverRunner
06-06-2016, 08:28 PM
See… told you. When you put the right boot on…. you just know!

Yes most of the top boots put disposable insoles in, as they know the end user will most likely replace. (especially Hanwag)

The thing I dislike about super feet insoles is the plastic base. It's quite sharp at the top where it transits to foam, and I've heard stories of them wearing through Gore tex liners.

After i picked up my Hanwags I went to Kintec Foot labs and worked with the rep there trying many off the rack insoles. Finally settled on a brand called Sidas. I chose their middle size offering. Had just the right amount arch support. And no sharp edged heel cups… all foam like material. Made my expensive comfortable boots just that much better.

wideopenthrottle
06-07-2016, 09:23 AM
those boots don't fit you…. don't buy boots solely on reviews.. try as many as you can. When they fit right…. you will know.

X2 for sure....

Backwoods
06-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you got some good customer service!
You bet!! Treated very very well from the folks at Backcountry!!

stoneramhunter
02-16-2023, 08:24 PM
My la sportiva boots finally packed it in hydrolosis delamentated them after several years of sheep hunting. I tried on several boots talked to a few sheep hunting buddies and their thoughts. Kenetreck was an option as was Crispi and Lowa. After trying the boots out I went with the Lowa Tibet gtx and i'm happy. Wore them out of the box and really don't feel i have to break them in. I may go with an alternate insole as mentioned on the site.