PDA

View Full Version : 308 Inch Muley Sheds

dana
06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Thought some of you might not have seen these over on MM. These are the new World Record Matched Nontypical Mule Deer Sheds. They were found this spring in AZ. No doubt a find of several lifetimes.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/Show_Me_Your_Rack/worldrecordsheds_523.jpg

Mr. Dean
06-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I take it that there is some kind of formula for figuring out the extreme spread on sheds????

VERY nice find.

308BAR
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I bet every hunter is going put a draw in the area where that monster maybe. drool.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
b e a s t !

Dirty
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Nice sheds, I like the sticker in the truck window that matches the sheds. Dana, you should get MNT window stickers made up.

Kirby
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I bet every hunter is going put a draw in the area where that monster maybe. drool.

The area they were found is notorious for monster bucks. Its already a huge draw from trophy mulie hunters.

Definatly some nice sheds, was wondering when they would finally show up online.

Kirby

Alpine85
06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Such a dirty giant, what a pig set...

308BAR,

WHY THE STRIP IS IMPORTANT TO SPORTSMEN
As most of you know the AZ Strip is THE premier mule deer destination on the planet. In 2003 over 15,000 people applied for the 270 available deer permits in units 12-B, 13-A & 13-B. In 2004 over 17,000 people applied for roughly the same number of permits and I would suspect that in 2005 over 20,000 people applied for those same permits. It’s very clear why the Strip is so popular; it has big older age class bucks and the relatively light hunting pressure allows the hunters to have a high quality experience in the field with little interference and competition from other hunters. The Strip is a truly magical place. With its aesthetic appeal, its isolated remoteness and of course its ability to produce a world class buck, the Strip is genuinely unique and like no other mule deer habitat in the world.

Phil
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Holy mother of pearl!!! Quite a set!!

Kechika
06-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Two words..Paper mache:biggrin:

one-shot-wonder
06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
That is quite the Arizona Sun tan on that match set!!

Now that is what I call trash!:cool:

mark
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Incredible sheds, I bet its gonna be a gong show out there next shed hunting season! World record??? Who keeps records for that sort of thing?

dana
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Mark,
I'm surprised you haven't heard of the North American Shed Hunters Club. They maintain a record book for shed antlers. They also have a great forum for shed heads. http://shedantlers.org/bbs/index.php

Ryan Hatch's (Muley Crazy Magazine) dad found a couple years of sheds off this monster prior this latest set being found. Those sheds were featured on Muley Crazy 6 Mule Deer Overdose. The buck scored 270 then. There is one year between that set and the latest set still out there to be found. There is also this year's set (if the buck is still alive). The kids that found the matched set have had an amazing shed season. They not only found the new World Record, but they found a 40 inch wide 219 matched set and a 240 inch cougar kill. They definately are living the shed head's dream.

mark
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Actually, ive been browsing on that shed site lately, have yet to log-on.
I just watched muley crazy IV, some amazing bucks and sheds in there too!

dana
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Mark,
You ain't seen nothing until you watch Muley Crazy: The Legend of the Strip. It is the most amazing footage I've ever seen. It is a documentary about Sampson, a 290 inch Monster from the Strip.

For those shed nuts, here is the new World Record Nontypical Whitetail Single Shed. What a Freak eh? It was found in Sask.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r5/awhitey32/Picture3-2007401.jpg

Alpine85
06-11-2007, 07:53 PM
That is such a burly shed... I couldn't imgine walking along a river break and jumping that thing..

Steve, any news on when a new Muley Crazy dvd is comming out?

Kirby
06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Dana, defiantly agree with recommending legends of the strip, I got it back in Jan, defiantly a wicked mulie!! Some amazing footage they got.

Kirby

dana
06-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Terry,
Last I heard they were hoping for a summer release. I hope so, I need a fix soon.
As for other DVD's it looks like Prism has Never Enough Big Game Vol 3 ready to go now. I'll definately be ordering that one.

Hilgy
06-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey Dana,

Where would a guy get his hands on these muley vids. Also do you know of any that are Alberta based

Thanks Hilgy

Kirby
06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Higly
www.muleycrazy.com

Kirby

dana
06-11-2007, 08:49 PM
There is also a good selection of hunting videos on www.monstermuleys.com (http://www.monstermuleys.com) I used to buy them from Kings Outdoor World but it seems their selection has really died out the last few years. As for Alberta based videos, I know Rod Sinclair had some videos on the market a few years back, but I think he's mainly doing wildlife photography now. He frequents the photography forum on monstermuleys and goes by the handle HoofsandHorns. As for BC based videos, the Lancasters can't be beat. I heard they have a new one coming out with several mule deer hunts in it but most of their videos are sheep and moose and bears and such.

30-06
06-11-2007, 08:59 PM
that is kind of odd how the sticker on the truck matches the set eh

Mr. Dean
06-12-2007, 01:05 AM
I take it that there is some kind of formula for figuring out the extreme spread on sheds????

VERY nice find.

Can any one pass on this info? I'd really like to know how the scores are figured out.

dana
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Can any one pass on this info? I'd really like to know how the scores are figured out.

To have a shed officially scored for the NASHC you won't see spread. A single shed is scored the same way as the B&C scoring method, yet it's final tally is just that shed. A matched set is scored without the spread.

As for giving people an idea of what the antlers scored on the hoof, it is pretty easy to tell how a pair of sheds looks naturally as if they were on the head. Most skull plates are 3-4 inches between pedicles. If you hold the antlers in a natural position with the pedicles 3 inches apart, it you'll get a good representation of what the inside spread would have been on the hoof. When you have a buck that you know the inside spread would exceed the length of the largest mainbeam, you have to default to the length of that mainbeam for your spread credit, as per the B&C scoring system. So if you think a 25 inch inside spread looks right when you hold the antlers, but your largest mainbeam is only 23 inches, then you only get the 23 inches as your spread credit.
When you are talking sheds and score, what does it matter if in reality the guy is off by an inch in his guess of the spread. So what if these sheds on the hoof are really only from a 307 buck? They could also be from a 309 buck. ;)