PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Tent

Rob
06-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Was looking at buying a Tarp Tent Stratospire 1, Ends up being close to $500 CAD (its listed at $309 and exchange...) by the time its all said and done. I like the fact it was only 2.2 lbs and has good vestibule room but now that I'm looking at spending that much I'm wondering what other options there may be. I had a BA Fly Creek UL2 but found it pretty cramped. Anyone have any input on alternatives like M.H/Sierra Designs etc?

Cheers, Rob

decker9
06-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I used a hubba hubba nx last season, can honestly say it did keep the rain out, we had a lot of it. With the tent fly peg's poles and foot print, it shows 4.7lb on my scale. 2 guys fit ok, the 2 doors are a must now that iv used a tent with 2. A great mid level tent for not bad $$.

srupp
06-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Rob..check out mountain hardware tents..have 1 ...4 season and 1...lightweight sheep tent..both have been incredible. .
Cheers
Steven

Useyourfeet
06-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Seek outside BT2 is priced right, light, roomy and you can put a stove in it if you want to.

charlie_horse
06-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Which ones do you use Steven? I used the hubba hubba no the last 3 seasons and it's been in some nasty rain. Was fine for two guys on a weekend trip but would get pretty cramped on any sheep trip, especially if you get rained out.

wildcatter
06-02-2016, 09:29 PM
I have a Eureka 2 person tent, under 5 lbs really well made, it's an older model not listed anymore, but only used it a few times and still like new.

Cody1771
06-02-2016, 09:32 PM
I use a MEC Tarn 2 tent, great support, good little tent, no way you could sleep 2 in it though lol

Rob
06-02-2016, 09:56 PM
I have a sierra designs 3 man which has proven itself but it is just over 5lbs. It's funny I see they are copying (or vica versa) the tarp tent stratospi design with their flashlight series. I'll use the SD 3 man when I backpack with the kids but want something for solo. Thanks for the input so far. Be nice if their was more to read on the tarp tents as far as field use from mountain hunters.

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 08:36 AM
I have a Hilleberg Nallo2 GT, which is great for 2 guys in any weather, but at just under 6 lbs it's a bit heavy for 1 guy to bear for solo stuff.
I'm a big fan of wiggle room in a tent and am looking seriously at the MSR Hubba Hubba NX for solo and 2 person weekend use.

kebes
06-06-2016, 08:41 AM
If you're going to spend 500 you might as well double it and get a seek outside :D. I just ordered a redcliff, the idea of warmth in a backpacking tent is worth the cost in my mind.

Ferenc
06-06-2016, 09:26 AM
I picked up a Hilliberg Atko.. On the used market for half the price of a new one... So some deals are out there.. I have yet to try it.. Looks well constructed and should serve me well.

Rackmastr
06-06-2016, 09:29 AM
I have a sierra designs 3 man which has proven itself but it is just over 5lbs. It's funny I see they are copying (or vica versa) the tarp tent stratospi design with their flashlight series. I'll use the SD 3 man when I backpack with the kids but want something for solo. Thanks for the input so far. Be nice if their was more to read on the tarp tents as far as field use from mountain hunters.

I think I posted a few pics of the SS1 on a mountain caribou hunt last year. Temps were down quite low some nights with a mix of heavy/wet snow, rain/sleet, and a ton of wind. Overall the Tarp Tent is right up there with any of the other mountain tents I've used and has some different features I really like. I've had an Hilleberg Akto and other than the footprint and room that the SS1 needs to pitch (just need to find bigger areas) I love the SS1 over the Hilleberg. Tons of vestibule space, and good sleeping area. Condensation has not been an issue for me and it hasn't had any issues in big winds. I use the optional 'pole kit' so I can hunt with my trekking poles. Still nice to have the option to use trekking poles for a quick overnight trip or a really lightweight setup.

stuffrider147
06-06-2016, 12:08 PM
With a budget around $500 +/-. I would consider a shelter made up of Sil-nylon. It will last you much much longer. If thats not in the cards, take a look at Tarptent - double rainbow.

AgSilver
06-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I have a Hilleberg Nallo2 GT, which is great for 2 guys in any weather, but at just under 6 lbs it's a bit heavy for 1 guy to bear for solo stuff.
I'm a big fan of wiggle room in a tent and am looking seriously at the MSR Hubba Hubba NX for solo and 2 person weekend use.

You just missed me selling a brand new Hubba Hubba NX. I think it's a great size for solo/camping with your dog use. Might be a bit tight for two guys, but you can easily add a "gear shed" to the front of it to help make it more spacious for two.

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 03:51 PM
You just missed me selling a brand new Hubba Hubba NX. I think it's a great size for solo/camping with your dog use. Might be a bit tight for two guys, but you can easily add a "gear shed" to the front of it to help make it more spacious for two.
Oh I seen, believe me, damn near PM'd an I'll TAKE IT....:grin:
Just a bit slow at work right now, so extras are on the back burner.

KodiakHntr
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM

Pretty sure your dog would make YOU sleep out in the gear shed Otter....(grin)

AgSilver
06-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Fair call! I've been stupid busy at work, so am in the process of fully outfitting myself for stuff that I have no time to do!

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Pretty sure your dog would make YOU sleep out in the gear shed Otter....(grin)
Prolly, but I gotta admit it'd still be better than being his little spoon....:o

I was thinking of getting him a dog pack, but given his size, horse panniers are prolly more realistic......:mrgreen:

RiverOtter
06-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Fair call! I've been stupid busy at work, so am in the process of fully outfitting myself for stuff that I have no time to do!
Ya, if I ever find the happy medium, I'll spill my guts here for others. :wink:

KodiakHntr
06-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Prolly, but I gotta admit it'd still be better than being his little spoon....:o

True 'nuff, unless he gets "lonely".....(grin)

decker9
06-07-2016, 06:44 AM

I picked mine up last summer when wss had a big sale on all their tents, the summer before they did the same thing, keep your eye open they might come up again, I got 25% off, a week later they went to 35% off.

RiverOtter
06-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks man, will keep an eye open.

digger dogger
06-07-2016, 08:49 AM
My brand new hubba hubba nx two man tent, broke a pole and ripped, in a big mountain wind storm, 2nd day into a 10 day stones hunt.
Thank god, i keep 10' of red tuck tape in my back, and a siltarp.
My last msr tent, was a zoid2, awesome tent that lasted 10 years before it started to leak.
It had a wedge design, and let wind sail right over it.

Eastbranch
06-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Go on MEC and start comparing specs. It doesn't take long to put a MEC tent in your cart. The extra 1/4lb of weight is well worth the much better waterproofing of both the floor and fly (usually 5000/3000 floor/fly compared to 3000/1200 on most others), and general beefiness of the materials. You sacrifice major durability and can pay anywhere from $200-400 more to lose that extra 1/4 or 1/2 pound. Not worth it. I love my Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1, but it absolutely has to be babied to keep it from ripping. Next tent I pick up will be MEC Spark or Volt. Have the Volt A/C 3 as a work tent, pretty nice unit.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-964/mec-spark-ul-2-tent/

Cody1771
06-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Go on MEC and start comparing specs. It doesn't take long to put a MEC tent in your cart. The extra 1/4lb of weight is well worth the much better waterproofing of both the floor and fly (usually 5000/3000 floor/fly compared to 3000/1200 on most others), and general beefiness of the materials. You sacrifice major durability and can pay anywhere from $200-400 more to lose that extra 1/4 or 1/2 pound. Not worth it. I love my Mt Hardware Skyledge 2.1, but it absolutely has to be babied to keep it from ripping. Next tent I pick up will be MEC Spark or Volt. Have the Volt A/C 3 as a work tent, pretty nice unit.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-964/mec-spark-ul-2-tent/
Big Fan of the Mec tents, the best part is they are soooooo easy to get parts for, repair kits, poles, pegs, ect. they break down real small as well, and i know they can take a deluge. my only complaint about the TARN was the clear window they put, it tends to get brittle and start to crack. mines covered in Tuck tape now

Norwestalta
06-08-2016, 12:21 PM
What's your guys thoughts on a Msr fast stash? Is there some kind of a sealant I should spray on it?
Ive only set it up in the yard and it seems fairly roomy for a 2 man.

newfie bullet
06-08-2016, 01:58 PM
My goto backpack tent is a MEC litchfeild I believe it was called.....Been using it for ten plus years so not sure if they even still make it but they must have an updated version. Keep it clean and never put it away wet and it should last decades.

SaintSix
06-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Picked up a new hubba hubba nx this year and have been in it a few trips, nothing crazy for weather. temps down to -10c and some mild rain. no issues with moisture. I open both vents at head and toe. Also picked up a used hilleberg akto for my father and tried it out. Well built and not cramped for its size but haven't tried it out in any crappy weather either.

TARCHER
02-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Rob..check out mountain hardware tents..have 1 ...4 season and 1...lightweight sheep tent..both have been incredible. .
Cheers
Steven one for sale on canadiangunnutz now. "BRAND NEW Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2DP Tent - Price Lowered
Hello, selling a brand new, with tags, Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 2DP Tent."

This guy right here.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/skyl...dp-OU9623.html (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/skyledge-2-dp-OU9623.html)

$300, buyer pays shipping. Located in Winnipeg.

Rob
02-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Thanks but I think Ill go with the Stratospire 1 from tarptent.. seems to be the best all around tent for what i need. Can toss the inner nest if I want to just use the tarp, seems relatively bomb proof for 3 seasons and the vestibule foot print is huge for the pack/dog etc. the inner nest can widen to accommodate two pads and I dont have to crouch over like the hunch back of Notre Dame to get into it. narrowed it down to this or the hilleberg enan but think this is still the better bet.

Cheers, Rob

Carbonmatrix
02-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Hilleberg hotel has no substitute! I run a Jannu a Tarra and a Nammatj 3GT. Jannu for solo, Tarra when hunting with a buddy since we both get a vestibule for gear, and the Nammatj 3gt if their is 2+ lots of gear and a dog. That GT vestibule is legit.

okas
02-05-2017, 12:39 PM
i have a Hilleberg Allak :wink: if i was you Can tire has tents like 1/2 $$ now and a good top tarp :oops: these big money ones get beat up and are a lot of money USE IT LOOSE IT