PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaws!

Eva_Hunts
06-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Hey guys,
I'm looking for advice on a small and reliable chainsaw for the trunk of the car when on FSRs. Something under 200 would be ideal. Any notable things to consider? What do you use?

Thanks!

recoil
06-01-2016, 11:38 PM
I have the MS230 which has been great, it is now been replaced by the 231, its light weight but has the jam to cut some decent size blowdown. if you can put aside $25 a week from now until hunting season you can afford a brand new one.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:58 AM
I have a Stihl MS 170. Good little saw . 16" Bar. If you do not like the smell of gas in your trunk. Then try the Stihl or Alpine premix fuel. There are a few MS170 or 180s on Craig's list for around $170. If you buy one off of there. Take a compression tester with you. A lot of lawn care places get rid of their old saws. So beware.

Glenny
06-02-2016, 07:48 AM
Crappy tire has 18" Poulans on for 220.00 in the flyer. A little over the 200 mark but it comes with a case and accessories n suff n things. Might just have to grab one. I like Stihl but if you want a case its like 80 clams. I wonder if a guy could run that fancy Stihl premix fuel thru it.

albravo2
06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Best little saw I've used is the Stihl 009L. You can find them used because they don't make them anymore. Highly recommend.

twanger
06-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Best little saw I've used is the Stihl 009L. You can find them used because they don't make them anymore. Highly recommend.

x2 on the 009, great little saw for sure.

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Bought a Stihl 180 a few years ago, 16" bar.
MACS has them on sale regularly @ $200 +/-.
I paid a few bucks extra and got the Easy Start option, a lot easier to start, particularly as we age.
Got the Son In Law same but no Easy Start for Xmas. He's young enough to pull harder. :mrgreen:
Suggest using the premixed fuel, Can Tire, Rona and other sell it for a lot cheaper than the Stihl stuff.
CT has or had generic saw cases for @ $40.00.

Glenny
06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
40 for the case. That's doable. Thanks for the tip IG.

Wile E
06-02-2016, 09:42 AM
I can recommend the MS170, also. I've been using mine every weekend for a year, without issue or complaint.
I have a larger Stihl but the convenience of the little guy is awesome.

CanTire offers an economy Husky, that's actually made by Husky. Very comparable to the 170.

Poolan is garbage, period.

FortBoy
06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
another vote for the ms170 from me, great little saw

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Crappy tire has 18" Poulans on for 220.00 in the flyer. A little over the 200 mark but it comes with a case and accessories n suff n things. Might just have to grab one. I like Stihl but if you want a case its like 80 clams. I wonder if a guy could run that fancy Stihl premix fuel thru it. They also sell the premix fuel at Ca tire.$7.99 One liter. Cases for the still last year when I bought my MS271 was $44.00. Craig's list you can sometimes find them for $20.00.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 10:18 AM
I can recommend the MS170, also. I've been using mine every weekend for a year, without issue or complaint.
I have a larger Stihl but the convenience of the little guy is awesome.

CanTire offers an economy Husky, that's actually made by Husky. Very comparable to the 170.

Poolan is garbage, period. Hey Hey. Pooplawn is owned by Husqvarna.

This is us

Husqvarna Group is a global leading producer of outdoor power products for forest, park and garden care. Products include chainsaws, trimmers, robotic lawn mowers and ride-on lawn mowers.

The Group is also the European leader in garden watering products and a global leader in cutting equipment and diamond tools for the construction and stone industries. The Group's products and solutions are sold under brands including Husqvarna, Gardena, McCulloch, Poulan Pro, Weed Eater, Flymo, Zenoah and Diamant Boart via dealers and retailers to consumers and professionals in more than 100 countries. Net sales in 2015 amounted to SEK 36 billion, and the Group had more than 13,000 employees in 40 countries.

2chodi
06-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Just got a Stihl flyer yesterday MS170 $229.95

Eva_Hunts
06-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Awesome tips guys, thanks. Gonna get the MS170!

Wile E
06-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Hey Hey. Pooplawn is owned by Husqvarna.

Come on now...
Force is owned by Mercury. Can I interest you in a used Force? Didn't think so. ;)

Glenny
06-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Anyone know if the new Stihls self oiling?

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:50 AM
Come on now...
Force is owned by Mercury. Can I interest you in a used Force? Didn't think so. ;) You couldn't sell me a Mercury. But a Yamaha or Honda for sure.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Anyone know if the new Stihls self oiling? The chain is. You still have to mix the oil and gas 50:1. See Glenda. I am your buddy.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Come on now...
Force is owned by Mercury. Can I interest you in a used Force? Didn't think so. ;) I wouldn't make bets on the smaller Husks . I had two of them. The replacement parts for them were poulan.

TreeStandMan
06-02-2016, 12:10 PM
I've had terrible luck with Stihl, but my cheap Poulan keeps going, so go figure.

I saw that the Princess had refurb Poulans with a 20 inch bar for something like $140. I wouldn't rely on one for a long period of time, but if it's just for clearing the odd downed tree from the road or cutting some firewood in camp, it's probably fine.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:21 PM
I sold my wildthing last year for $50. And bought a Stihl MS271. The Wildthing was to small for the Birch and Maples I was cutting up. It was also refurbished. I bought it at a discounter west of Langley. I paid under $100. for it.

Sunzuki
06-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Sometimes the Stihl dealers offer a free kit with their saws.
Hats are cheap now too.
Gotta be styl'in, you know............:mrgreen:

Glenny
06-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Sometimes the Stihl dealers offer a free kit with their saws.
Hats are cheap now too.
Gotta be styl'in, you know............:mrgreen:

Yes but I haven't seen those wood pro kits included in there ads in a long time.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Yes but I haven't seen those wood pro kits included in there ads in a long time.
I think they will be around in the fall.

rocksteady
06-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Apple reading your original post you want to pack a saw in the trunk of your car.

To me, this indicates you will not be cutting firewood for yourself.

Have you given any thoughts to a 2 or 3 foot Swede Saw? Takes up less room, no fumes, a lot cheaper.

If it's for emergency only (blow down onto road), it may serve you just as well..

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Apple reading your original post you want to pack a saw in the trunk of your car.

To me, this indicates you will not be cutting firewood for yourself.

Have you given any thoughts to a 2 or 3 foot Swede Saw? Takes up less room, no fumes, a lot cheaper.

If it's for emergency only (blow down onto road), it may serve you just as well..

and it is guaranteed to work first pull...heheheh

honeyman76
06-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I gotta say, the Greenworks 40V Chainsaw from Canadian tire has been awesome for me. Its exactly what your asking for. Its light weight, needs no gas, just chain oil and you can cut what you need to have cut on a road or trail in no time flat. I have had mine for two years now and haven't had any issues. Read the reviews. The battery isn't made to do a cord of wood, but for what you need it for, highly recommended.

scoutlt1
06-02-2016, 06:36 PM
I gotta say, the Greenworks 40V Chainsaw from Canadian tire has been awesome for me. Its exactly what your asking for. Its light weight, needs no gas, just chain oil and you can cut what you need to have cut on a road or trail in no time flat. I have had mine for two years now and haven't had any issues. Read the reviews. The battery isn't made to do a cord of wood, but for what you need it for, highly recommended.

Electric "chainsaws" should be outlawed..... ;)

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Electric "chainsaws" should be outlawed..... ;)

I broke down and got an electric mower but yes, electric and chainsaw just doesn't go together, does it? ;-)

scoutlt1
06-02-2016, 07:21 PM
I broke down and got an electric mower but yes, electric and chainsaw just doesn't go together, does it? ;-)

In the future I'm sure everything will be electric, even a chainsaw.
I just can't see myself not having to smell the gas/oil mixture, pulling that f***ing cord over and over, hearing that stupid thing rev up like crazy, knowing I'm potentially going to cut my leg or arm off.......and most importantly, giving in to modern technology.

Maybe I'll drive a Tesla one day.....but I doubt it. :)

scoutlt1
06-02-2016, 07:48 PM
And to the OP....I have a little Husky that has been used to clear the occasional "roadblock" and buck up some firewood at camp.

Has served me well for around 15 years.

Husky7mm
06-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Hey guys,
I'm looking for advice on a small and reliable chainsaw for the trunk of the car when on FSRs. Something under 200 would be ideal. Any notable things to consider? What do you use?

Thanks!
My vote goes to getting a professional husky 562 XPG with around a 24 inch bar, and ditch the car for an F350 crewcab long box. Go big or go home! Those trees are in trouble Lol

ditch donkey
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM
another vote for the lil stihl 170, have a few in the family and they have all beed great so far.

06-02-2016, 09:44 PM
x2 on the 009, great little saw for sure.
X3 - I use one too

Glenny
06-03-2016, 04:36 AM
QUOTE=honeyman76;1785032]I gotta say, the Greenworks 40V Chainsaw from Canadian tire has been awesome for me. Its exactly what your asking for. Its light weight, needs no gas, just chain oil and you can cut what you need to have cut on a road or trail in no time flat. I have had mine for two years now and haven't had any issues. Read the reviews. The battery isn't made to do a cord of wood, but for what you need it for, highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

The last time I was trapped up a road by blow down there was about 6 or 7 trees across the road so gas will be good for me. Plus I love the gas and fume smell.lol
GH

.264winmag
06-03-2016, 04:52 AM
Awesome tips guys, thanks. Gonna get the MS170!
Good choice! Having never owned a saw under 80cc I have no personal experience. I know arborists, fallers and tree toppers run the smaller Stihl's. Hydro crews run husky 372's, I've got garbage cans of husky parts these days. Not what they used to be...

honeyman76
06-03-2016, 08:58 AM
I know what you guys are saying about electric, but there are a few youtube videos that may surprise you. I can tell you from personal unprofessional experience, that the 40V Greenworks is great and not a piece of C$$#. Just saying that its an option if you want to cut a few trees off the road. Its super quiet. I have carried an invertor with me to charge as I drive.

B.C.Boy(100%)
06-03-2016, 10:53 AM
To those that rarely or have never operated a chainsaw, BE CAREFUL.
Learn how to use your saw, and learn how to make the appropriate cuts so not to pinch your bar, or kick back into your face, etc...
Inexpensive knowledge for the inexperienced,
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=51539&cat=1,46096,46107&ap=1

finaddict
06-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Electric "chainsaws" should be outlawed..... ;) Around the house, electric saws have their place. When I need to cut 6 inch branches off my huge cedar trees to limb them up, and I am standing on a 20 foot extension ladder, the last thing I want is a chainsaw that is continuously running. An electric saw can be used much more effectively in these circumstances. I have yet to find an extension cord long enough to reach the hunting locations though...........

I also have a Stihl MS 311 for big work (House fuel), a small homelite for hunting and campfires, and my go to saw for the past 30 years which has been an Echo EV50 (equivalent model today is the CS-490). I have owned the Echo for over 28 years and it has never let me down. It has been bar none the best saw I have ever owned.

AgSilver
06-03-2016, 01:56 PM
Around the house, electric saws have their place. When I need to cut 6 inch branches off my huge cedar trees to limb them up, and I am standing on a 20 foot extension ladder, the last thing I want is a chainsaw that is continuously running. An electric saw can be used much more effectively in these circumstances. I have yet to find an extension cord long enough to reach the hunting locations though...........

I also have a Stihl MS 311 for big work (House fuel), a small homelite for hunting and campfires, and my go to saw for the past 30 years which has been an Echo EV50 (equivalent model today is the CS-490). I have owned the Echo for over 28 years and it has never let me down. It has been bar none the best saw I have ever owned.

I think honeyman is referring to the battery operated saws.

honeyman76
06-03-2016, 02:54 PM
I know what you guys are saying about electric, but there are a few youtube videos that may surprise you. I can tell you from personal unprofessional experience, that the 40V Greenworks is great and not a piece of C$$#. Just saying that its an option if you want to cut a few trees off the road. Its super quiet. I have carried an invertor with me to charge as I drive. It has a battery (40V) no extension cord required

Glenny
06-10-2016, 08:49 AM
I know what you guys are saying about electric, but there are a few youtube videos that may surprise you. I can tell you from personal unprofessional experience, that the 40V Greenworks is great and not a piece of C$$#. Just saying that its an option if you want to cut a few trees off the road. Its super quiet. I have carried an invertor with me to charge as I drive.

Inverter hey, Hmmm, good call on that.

honeyman76
06-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Inverter hey, Hmmm, good call on that.
MotoMaster 200W Mobile Power Outlet and Inverter , so yes Glenny, my spelling may have been off, but as long as your vehicle runs, you can recharge it. I carried it last year hunting. Works great.

Camp Cook
06-14-2016, 06:34 AM
I have 5 - 6 chainsaws I usually keep either my old Husqvarna 50 and/or an older Husvarna 60 for cutting firewood for camp for super light work I use my new Stihl T150 top handle this is the smallest gas chainsaw that Stihl makes.

Just yesterday coming home over/around Shovelnose mtn I had to clear a fallen pine tree off the logging road to get thru dug out the 12" bar T150 out of the trailer and made short work of the tree.

For a bigger tree I had the Husky 50 with me on this trip.

BlacktailStalker
06-20-2016, 12:48 AM
I run a stihl180c for small stuff or cutting trail for the SxS and picked up a stihl352 as well for big stuff.