PDA

View Full Version : Dogs shot near Kamloops

metalface
06-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Has this been posted anywhere here yet?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-hunter-sentenced-for-fatally-shooting-family-s-two-dogs-near-heffley-creek-1.3611003

Seems like a really bad mistake for a lot of reasons...

plumbcrazy
06-01-2016, 06:26 PM
The dogs owners should have been charged if the dogs were out 'running' in the woods. Not this guy

ruger#1
06-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Better animal identification. Would be a start.

squamishhunter
06-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Obviously letting their dogs run at large in the woods?

A farmer would have been justified if they went on farm property.

Feral dogs in a pack are no safer for people than wolves.

Hard to say what the circumstances were but if two "dogs" not easily identifiable as hounds or pets run at me in the bush, it will cause me to take some slack up on the trigger...

Caribou_lou
06-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Depends on what the dogs were doing if it was a mistake in my opinion. People need to take responsibility for their pets. It would be interesting to know where they were in relation to their property. Never like to hear about any animal suffering.

Caribou_lou
06-01-2016, 06:35 PM
The dog on the right in the box of the truck does look like a wolf! A bright orange collar may have saved his life.

ruger#1
06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
The dog on the right in the box of the truck does look like a wolf! A bright orange collar may have saved his life.Yes it does. No collars, Or tags. A German Shepard in black is very close. To bad people are stupid.

scoutlt1
06-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Has this been posted anywhere here yet?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-hunter-sentenced-for-fatally-shooting-family-s-two-dogs-near-heffley-creek-1.3611003

Seems like a really bad mistake for a lot of reasons...

Well, I'm no "canine" expert, (and am NO fan of the cbc)....but I'm looking at those dogs in the bed of that pickup, and they sure don't look like any wolf I've ever seen.
Apparently this license thinggy I have assumes I will be able to tell the difference between a mule deer and whitetail, define and identify a spike fork moose, and know what a full curl sheep is before I pull the trigger. I seem to remember being told something about knowing what's beyond my "target" too.....but what the f**k do I know?
I have this stupid thing about wanting to make sure that whatever I shoot dies as quickly and humanely as possible too.
Taking this "news story" on face value, I'm glad this douchebag never hunted near me, or maybe he has, and me and my "sorta bear-like looking dog", have just been lucky!

Either way, it's from the cbc, so it's all biased and wrong anyways!!.....and don't get me started on "appropriate sentencing"..... :)

palmer
06-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Don't look like any wolf I've ever seen. As ethical hunters target ident is of the utmost importance.

TreeStandMan
06-01-2016, 06:44 PM
I grew up in that area and my parents live only a few kilometres away, and I've never heard of wolves around there. To me his story that he thought it was a wolf is highly suspect.

j270wsm
06-01-2016, 07:02 PM
The dogs owners should have been charged if the dogs were out 'running' in the woods. Not this guy

When did it become illegal to have your dogs off leash while out of town on what I assume was crown land?

Mulehahn
06-01-2016, 07:02 PM
An appropriate sentence. He should of made sure of his target, but can understand seeing 2 dogs running through grass and thinking it was wolves. My issue arises with the fact he took off. The law says that you must retrieve and take a wolf hide home (unless this changed and i missed it)! To me, if he had simply stayed and explained what happened that should of been the end of it.

As for no wolves inbthe area, I haven't seen an area in BC without wolves for a couple years now. I have found their tracks at Sunpeaks so i would imagine it is only a short hop to Heffley

bighornbob
06-01-2016, 07:48 PM
I grew up in that area and my parents live only a few kilometres away, and I've never heard of wolves around there. To me his story that he thought it was a wolf is highly suspect.

A friend lives on Mt. Lolo road which is south of there and a lot closer to Kamloops. He had a wolf on their property last weekend. Found a deer kill close by. He set up trails cameras after that. Have not heard if he got any pics.

bhb

squamishhunter
06-01-2016, 07:51 PM
When did it become illegal to have your dogs off leash while out of town on what I assume was crown land?

If you are a smart dog owner you attach flagging ribbon 'streamers' to your dogs collar in the bush so they are dead obviously pets.

4x4
06-01-2016, 07:54 PM
I don't know the rules for letting your dogs run around outside of your property but this guy that shot them gives us hunters (and I'm a rookie) a bad name. Know what the fu%k you're shooting at for gods sake.

So many idiots out there. There is no excuse to shot these dogs if you thought it was a wolf. A monkey with one eye would see these animals are not wolves. If you're not sure don't make the shoot until you know what you are shooting at. I'm pretty sure when I took my PAL they made that very clear.

squamishhunter
06-01-2016, 07:56 PM
I don't know the rules for letting your dogs run around outside of your property but this guy that shot them gives us hunters (and I'm a rookie) a bad name. Know what the fu%k you're shooting at for gods sake.

So many idiots out there. There is no excuse to shot these dogs if you thought it was a wolf. A monkey with one eye would see these animals are not wolves. If you're not sure don't make the shot until you know what you are shooting at. I'm pretty sure when I took my PAL they made that very clear.

Ever been charged by an animal? Packs are even scarier.

Mishka
06-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Ever been charged by an animal? Packs are even scarier.

Being charged by a dog or dogs is a completely different situation. How does that relate to this guy? Where does it say these dogs charged him? And if they did, why didn't he use that in court? The guy was wrong in what he did and he should've known better.

scoutlt1
06-01-2016, 08:12 PM
If you are charged by two large dogs and you have to shoot them to legitimately protect yourself you pull the trigger, make sure they are dead, and then call the CO or police and report it. You don't "panic" and say that you thought one of them was a wolf. Seriously.

And yes, there are wolves just about everywhere in this province.

RiverOtter
06-01-2016, 08:13 PM
The way I read the story, there should have only been one dead dog, but the second was hit with a pass through. Either way, if buddy thought they were in fact wolves, why not go look at what he just shot?

Wentrot
06-01-2016, 08:55 PM
To many mid day pops for the dude. Very clearly look nothing like wolves lol

604ksmith
06-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Sad story to hear, I feel for the dog owners.

604Stalker
06-01-2016, 10:25 PM
Thats sad to hear people need to know their target. That being said if your out in the woods and your dogs have no collar and are out of your sight they are at large and its on you. Truly tragic though and there should have been more done about his clear lack of effort to even figure out what he shot or make an apology.

AgSilver
06-01-2016, 11:19 PM
I can't even imagine what it would feel like. I'm going to ask the lawyer, though, he's an old friend of mine.

Laurp99
06-01-2016, 11:48 PM
A Husky or a Malamute resembles a wolf but these dogs are not even close! Leaving the scene after the shooting with no effort to retrieve the animal was not a mistake.
Stevie Wonder has better vision than this idiot.

ktantra
06-01-2016, 11:58 PM
That guy's a good shot, dogs don't just stand around like cows, he knew what he was doing and survived, else them dogs could have shred him to pieces!

russm
06-02-2016, 01:40 AM
That guy's a good shot, dogs don't just stand around like cows, he knew what he was doing and survived, else them dogs could have shred him to pieces!

Survived what? It didnt say anywhere that they were aggressive towards the guy, anyone that thinks those dogs look like wolves is on glue.

BCHunterTV
06-02-2016, 05:54 AM
I know of a friend that was running hounds in kamloops couple years ago....had a hunter kill his whole pack! Thought they were a pack of wolves....Guy wrote him a cheque

GetLethal
06-02-2016, 06:19 AM
This story reeks of bullshit. Mastiffs look nothing like wolves, a black shephard in the woods sure, a brindle mastiff? as if. Then he shoots the dog fatally without knowing it was a dog, then all of a sudden realizes the mistake he has made but fails to finish it off, retrieve the carcass, look for the owner or report the incident. Either the guy is that stupid, that careless or just felt like killing some dogs and got caught. No matter how you slice it, **** that guy, he shouldnt be allowed to own a firearm.

tigrr
06-02-2016, 07:07 AM
So if you find the dogs over a fresh killed fawn or doe, what then was it justified? What were the dogs doing in the field/bush sight seeing, unsupervised. I live in ranch country, ask a rancher what would happen.

GetLethal
06-02-2016, 07:19 AM
So if you find the dogs over a fresh killed fawn or doe, what then was it justified? What were the dogs doing in the field/bush sight seeing, unsupervised. I live in ranch country, ask a rancher what would happen.

My mistake, I completely missed the part about finding the dogs over freshly killed livestock, on private land, that this gentleman owns and has the right to protect. Silly me I just assumed they were in a somewhat remote area roaming a rural community (not uncommon) near their home.

steel_ram
06-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Hunters are not allowed to shoot anything there is not an open season for. It's not up to them to "take care of", roaming dogs, cattle on left on the range, etc. etc.

Glenny
06-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Better animal identification. Would be a start.

Indeed. Funny looking wolves there.

boxhitch
06-02-2016, 07:38 AM
So if you find the dogs over a fresh killed fawn or doe, what then was it justified? No..........

And whats with CBC using a pic from a Facebook posting
Likely in a clear attempt to excite viewers against a hunter

Blacktail 270
06-02-2016, 08:07 AM
I hate hearing of these stories. Hunters ARE responsible for their firearms, theirs actions, and their ethics. Plain and simple. This guy is a dog killer not a hunter and life sentence branded as one.

TrickleCharger
06-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Doesn't sound to me like these dogs were just out for a romp with their owners somewhere nearby, sounds like they were out roaming through the bush alone. The guy obviously shouldn't have shot the dogs, but FFS keep your animals on your property. Other people going about their business in a public place shouldn't have to trust that your dogs aren't aggressive, it's your responsibility to have them under control. If the dogs are normally fenced in and had escaped then fine, shit happens but there was no mention of that in the story. If you're out for a walk off leash have a brain and put some high vis on them. The hunter isn't the only problem in this story..

Xenomorph
06-02-2016, 09:54 AM
The hunter isn't the only problem in this story..

But his actions tell a clear story. I speak for myself, and myself alone. I get charged by a dog in the bush I put rifle down and teach the dog some manners. I get charged by 2 or more, and intent is visible, no qualms about shooting them down, BUT, I'd phone CO, describe location, event, and so on.

Fact is he shot them.
Fact is he left.
Fact is he realized he made a booboo.
Fact is he's getting an easy walk on it.

Why he shot them, why he left without taking ownership of it?!? I have no idea!

ACB
06-02-2016, 09:57 AM
The dog on the right in the box of the truck does look like a wolf! A bright orange collar may have saved his life.
Mastiffs don't look like a WOLF, but your right a bright coloured collar would of helped.

skibum
06-02-2016, 10:05 AM
He made a stupid mistake - For it, personally think his hunting privileges should have been suspended for 5 years.

This kind of thing smears all hunters.

Ryo
06-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Doesn't sound to me like these dogs were just out for a romp with their owners somewhere nearby, sounds like they were out roaming through the bush alone. The guy obviously shouldn't have shot the dogs, but FFS keep your animals on your property. Other people going about their business in a public place shouldn't have to trust that your dogs aren't aggressive, it's your responsibility to have them under control. If the dogs are normally fenced in and had escaped then fine, shit happens but there was no mention of that in the story. If you're out for a walk off leash have a brain and put some high vis on them. The hunter isn't the only problem in this story..

You're right. The guy made a series of very bad judgements and he's paying for it (it hurts hunters in general a lot more than it hurts him), but take it from me - whose been followed/harrassed by someone's off-leash dog (Brown hound in the Norrish Creek area) for 20KM and five hours into the bush (on crown land), no matter how hard I tried to get it to leave me alone, only to have it blast after a wintering deer howling like a banshee - a lot of dog owners need a good slap too.

TrickleCharger
06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
But his actions tell a clear story. I speak for myself, and myself alone. I get charged by a dog in the bush I put rifle down and teach the dog some manners. I get charged by 2 or more, and intent is visible, no qualms about shooting them down, BUT, I'd phone CO, describe location, event, and so on.

Fact is he shot them.
Fact is he left.
Fact is he realized he made a booboo.
Fact is he's getting an easy walk on it.

Why he shot them, why he left without taking ownership of it?!? I have no idea!

I agree 100% and am not trying to take away from this guy's own irresponsibility. My comment was more directed at the dog owner being "extremely distressed" and "outraged" by his dogs roaming around in the wild with no collars being shot, and no mention of the circumstances of this in the story. It's too bad the "hunter" didn't handle this better because then IMO the owners wouldn't have much to go on.

steveo
06-02-2016, 10:20 AM
I always find it funny how the owner of the pet that was injured always says how hard it is to see their pet injured because a pet is part of the family and how they love it so much but they let it run at large and let it take care of itself, really? People give their dogs way too much credit in regards to successfully taking care of themselves. The one dog possibly could look like a wolf in the right circumstance but the other one looks very much like a mastiff or someones pet. I agree that both parties acted irresponsibly and if only one party was more diligent this incident would have probably been avoided.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
My mistake, I completely missed the part about finding the dogs over freshly killed livestock, on private land, that this gentleman owns and has the right to protect. Silly me I just assumed they were in a somewhat remote area roaming a rural community (not uncommon) near their home.
There was no livestock. Tigr was making an example. That if they were. But it is not up to a hunter to shoot them if they were over livestock. It is up to the rancher or farmer. You would look very stupid if you shot a dog standing over livestock that has been killed. Then the farmer or rancher comes out of the bush looking for his livestock. Explain why you killed his dog. And why you are trespassing.

Xenomorph
06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
I agree 100% and am not trying to take away from this guy's own irresponsibility. My comment was more directed at the dog owner being "extremely distressed" and "outraged" by his dogs roaming around in the wild with no collars being shot, and no mention of the circumstances of this in the story. It's too bad the "hunter" didn't handle this better because then IMO the owners wouldn't have much to go on.

It's just another example of what not to do. I take back my comment of "he has it easy" because I don't know his situation, maybe he has a family to feed, maybe he felt bad enough to not think right - let's face it, many out there will get so anxious once something goes awry that it's not even funny.

I always find it funny how the owner of the pet that was injured always says how hard it is to see their pet injured because a pet is part of the family and how they love it so much but they let it run at large and let it take care of itself, really? People give their dogs way too much credit in regards to successfully taking care of themselves. The one dog possibly could look like a wolf in the right circumstance but the other one looks very much like a mastiff or someones pet. I agree that both parties acted irresponsibly and if only one party was more diligent this incident would have probably been avoided.

I wonder if the owners of the pets got dinged for dogs not having collars on and being so far into the bush. I think they should have been fined.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 10:38 AM
They should of had dog licences.

BRvalley
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Weren't the dogs shot over a bait pile? pile of deer bones or something like that.....If you're baiting, it provides you plenty of time for a positive ID...

Perhaps I'm jaded from personal experiences, I believe there's just a lot of sadists out there, any excuse to kill something...I've been harassed twice now while hunting/hiking my dogs in the woods....been threatened with "if I see them chasing deer I'll F-ing shoot him"....

this guy makes all hunters look bad, but at least he changed his mind and plead guilty, saved a bit of time and money

Xenomorph
06-02-2016, 10:59 AM
They should of had dog licences.

Should've and had are two very different things. The way I read the article -seems they've moved away, due to loss of family members "the dogs". Look, I am in no way trying to discredit or invalidate their feelings. To me the whole story has a feel of "Hi, I am a lawyer, let me sue the hunter civilly, and get a nice settlement" type of feel to it.

The onus is on both of them for different reasons, and I wish the guy had taken ownership of the situation and had done the right thing. Then the headlines would not be so negative. All of the guys telling you COs are not to be trusted are out to lunch. I've had two recent interactions with the COs in Squamish/Whistler offices and I can tell you hands down, if I had done what this idiot has, you'd be reading about me as a poacher. Instead, the genius that called and claimed I shot a grizzly in a no hunting zone, without even seeing the bear is about to feel the burn of a ticket for interfering with a legal hunt and making a false claim.

Had I scrambled and bolted, I'd be it.
Had I acted inappropriately and angrily towards the ****s, I'd be it.
Had I laid my hands on them, even though they did on me, the headlines would be awesome, wouldn't they?
Had I not done my job and stay put and deal with the 5 RCMP squads sent in and the CO ...well, you can imagine.

Bottom line is, we see way too many grown ass men acting like children. You mess up, own up to it, especially since you know it's such a sensitive subject, I mean he shot a couple dogs, it's not like he shot a coyote that nobody would be looking for. I know the remark is superfluous, but I needed to make a point somewhat.

And yes, I'll post the story one day, when I have the time. It's worth a read if only for the educational purpose.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:11 AM
"There were no major signs of livestock footprints in the area where these dogs were. And the farmer was a family friend of the person who owned the dogs — and apparently, at this point, it seems that there was no issue with the dogs being on the property."

So maybe someone was also trespassing.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Two stories. First one.

An incident described by RCMP as a case of serious animal cruelty has left a B.C. family wondering why someone would shoot their two dogs and leave them to die in the woods near Knouff Lake, north of Kamloops.

Mike Griffith says he knew something was wrong when his Mastiff-cross dogs, Ryker and Phylo, didn't return home on Tuesday. In his search for the animals, Griffith visited a neighbour.

“He said he hadn't seen my dogs, but then throughout the course of the conversation he mentioned that his brother had shot two wolves that morning,” he says.

dogs shot near Kamloops
Two dogs were shot and left to die in the woods near Knouff Lake, north of Kamloops. (Mike Griffith)

Griffith went to the spot described by the neighbour, on a nearby rural road. Next to a pile of deer bones, which he says hunters use to bait animals, he found a blood trail. And 80 metres away, he found his dogs: one dead, the other clinging to life.

Griffith rushed the younger dog, Ryker, to the vet, but a bullet had fatally shattered its spine.

“When we put Ryker to sleep, I cried like a baby,” says Griffith. “I was just overcome with emotion when Ryker's head slumped into my arms there and he stopped breathing.”

Barriere RCMP Constable Jesse Wilkins, who is investigating the case, says it doesn't appear the dogs were chasing wildlife or cattle.

"There were no major signs of livestock footprints in the area where these dogs were. And the farmer was a family friend of the person who owned the dogs — and apparently, at this point, it seems that there was no issue with the dogs being on the property."

Xenomorph
06-02-2016, 11:18 AM
^I seem to make a habit of it today, I stand by my first comment, he got it lightly then.

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 11:43 AM
To me the whole story has a feel of "Hi, I am a lawyer, let me sue the hunter civilly, and get a nice settlement" type of feel to it.

If he shot my dog in the woods, I'd absolutely be suing him for civil damages. And would be beyond infuriated at the conditional discharge on the criminal side (even though, in my mind, I know that it's the appropriate sentence...but touch my fackin' dog and my mind will be out the window and the heart will be governing all interactions).

Let's be realistic to those here talking about whether the dogs should have had better collars, etc. The reality is that "farm dogs" don't usually have collars because they run through the woods all of the time and are semi-free animals. Collars get caught on stuff and can be problematic. Additionally, as someone who has a dark brown dog and has walked him extensively in the bush, I can tell you that 90% of the time, you can't make out the collar...including when walking him at night with a light up LED collar. If he's turned the wrong way, I can't see anything.

And if this guy wasn't able to appropriately ID the dogs as NOT being wolves, do you REALLY think a collar would have made ANY difference? I believe that he saw something roughly wolf-life in size and shot. Perhaps on the off chance that it was a bright orange collar and had been visible he probably wouldn't have taken the shot...but I can count the number of non-duck hunters' dogs with bright orange collars on one finger (me...and we don't even have that anymore, now it's just a dark'ish blue collar that would be hardly noticeable if doing a shitty enough job of determining the difference between a wolf and a mastiff).

I love my dog and have walked with him off leash in the woods a LOT over his 9 years. Never once have I considered that I should have to be careful of hunters out there because I've always assumed that hunters aren't absolute morons who are failing to ID their targets before shooting. I hope I'm not wrong.

Anyone here suggesting that the owners or the dogs are even remotely at fault are wrong. No ifs ands or buts. There's no suggestion in the story that the dogs were doing anything close to attacking him. Deflection. There's no suggestion that the dogs looked enough like wolves to even remotely be able to make that mistake. Deflection. There's no suggestion that they were harming farmland or wildlife. Deflection.

The fact is that he shot something he shouldn't have, period. He shot something that he shouldn't have that our society gives an amazing amount of intrinsic value to...(a pair of) dogs. He was careless. He's probably remorseful. He made a terrible decision in the moment. He's being punished under our system relatively appropriately. He had a good lawyer who probably made strong submissions on why the sentence was appropriate. I personally think he shouldn't be allowed to hunt for longer, but, that's just me.

Don't shoot my dog.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 11:47 AM
If he shot my dog in the woods, I'd absolutely be suing him for civil damages. And would be beyond infuriated at the conditional discharge on the criminal side (even though, in my mind, I know that it's the appropriate sentence...but touch my fackin' dog and my mind will be out the window and the heart will be governing all interactions).

Let's be realistic to those here talking about whether the dogs should have had better collars, etc. The reality is that "farm dogs" don't usually have collars because they run through the woods all of the time and are semi-free animals. Collars get caught on stuff and can be problematic. Additionally, as someone who has a dark brown dog and has walked him extensively in the bush, I can tell you that 90% of the time, you can't make out the collar...including when walking him at night with a light up LED collar. If he's turned the wrong way, I can't see anything.

And if this guy wasn't able to appropriately ID the dogs as NOT being wolves, do you REALLY think a collar would have made ANY difference? I believe that he saw something roughly wolf-life in size and shot. Perhaps on the off chance that it was a bright orange collar and had been visible he probably wouldn't have taken the shot...but I can count the number of non-duck hunters' dogs with bright orange collars on one finger (me...and we don't even have that anymore, now it's just a dark'ish blue collar that would be hardly noticeable if doing a shitty enough job of determining the difference between a wolf and a mastiff).

I love my dog and have walked with him off leash in the woods a LOT over his 9 years. Never once have I considered that I should have to be careful of hunters out there because I've always assumed that hunters aren't absolute morons who are failing to ID their targets before shooting. I hope I'm not wrong.

Anyone here suggesting that the owners or the dogs are even remotely at fault are wrong. No ifs ands or buts. There's no suggestion in the story that the dogs were doing anything close to attacking him. Deflection. There's no suggestion that the dogs looked enough like wolves to even remotely be able to make that mistake. Deflection. There's no suggestion that they were harming farmland or wildlife. Deflection.

The fact is that he shot something he shouldn't have, period. He shot something that he shouldn't have that our society gives an amazing amount of intrinsic value to...(a pair of) dogs. He was careless. He's probably remorseful. He made a terrible decision in the moment. He's being punished under our system relatively appropriately. He had a good lawyer who probably made strong submissions on why the sentence was appropriate. I personally think he shouldn't be allowed to hunt for longer, but, that's just me.

Don't shoot my dog."There were no major signs of livestock footprints in the area where these dogs were. And the farmer was a family friend of the person who owned the dogs — and apparently, at this point, it seems that there was no issue with the dogs being on the property."

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 12:03 PM
I think AgSiver has summed it up pretty damn good, agree totally.
Yup, if I was the owner of the dogs and same happened to me I'd be talking to my Lawyer about it.
It's kinda funny that dogs are basically chattels, worth the same under the Law as a hammer or a piece of wood but there is a proposed Law right now, with no chance of getting passed that would change that. Alas, said proposed Law contains a lot of nonsense so the proposed good will die with the bad.
Well, off to the Lake with the mutts, sure hope some "hunter" doesn't mistake them for foxes.

j270wsm
06-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I've never claimed to be the smartest person but, judging from the pics of the dogs, the black dog was the one that was the initial target and the mastif was the one behind it and ended up being wounded.

Also, under the livestock and wildlife act any dog or dogs seen harassing/attacking wildlife/livestock can be shot on the spot by the person witnessing the event.

northernbc
06-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I feel sorry for the people who lost there dogs, but when I read they were found not on their property. but had to go to a nearby rural road to find them. I feel the dogs should not be running loose . not a reason to kill them but they both have a part in this.

northernbc
06-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I G you would let your animals run loose and then sue someone if something happened to them not even near your residence. when you have no idea what they were up to.to me that is wrong. j270wsm is that in fact true about dogs chasing wildlife.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Dogs causing injury or damage Livestock Act May 18 2016

11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being

(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,

(b) in direct and continuous charge of a person who is competent to control it,

(c) securely confined within an enclosure, or

(d) securely fastened so that it is unable to roam.

(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog

(a) running at large, and

(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Have a read.
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96270_01#section11.1

But be carful. The dog that you shoot could be a ranchers dog herding cattle in.

northernbc
06-02-2016, 01:19 PM
ruger if you have a handle on this, does that clause extend anywhere to cover wildlife?

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:22 PM
ruger if you have a handle on this, does that clause extend anywhere to cover wildlife?

You son of a hunter. Your going to make me look that up also. It should be in the hunting regulations. Give me a couple of minutes.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Wildlife Act May 18 2016

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01

From Capital Regional District...
http://www.crd.bc.ca/animal/dangerous.htm

Wildlife Protection

Deer chasing by dogs is against the law. Persons who allow a dog to chase wildlife, contrary to the regulations of the Wildlife Act, are subject to a fine of up to $1000 or imprisonment for up to six months (Wildlife Act, Section 80).
Dogs may be killed by a Conservation Officer or Peace Officer, if they are at large in a wildlife management area, or if they are running at large and harassing wildlife (Wildlife Act, Section 81).

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:40 PM
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...de/00_96488_01

BC Wildlife Act

Dogs hunting game

78 A person commits an offence if the person causes or allows a dog to hunt or pursue

(a) wildlife or an endangered species or threatened species, or
(b) game, except in accordance with the regulations.

Destruction of animals

79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.
(2) An officer may kill a dog that is
(a) at large in a wildlife management area, or
(b) at large and harassing wildlife.
(3) An officer may kill a cat at large where wildlife is usually found.

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 01:41 PM
I've never claimed to be the smartest person but, judging from the pics of the dogs, the black dog was the one that was the initial target and the mastif was the one behind it and ended up being wounded.

Also, under the livestock and wildlife act any dog or dogs seen harassing/attacking wildlife/livestock can be shot on the spot by the person witnessing the event.

Officers...not anyone. That's only for livestock.

Wildlife Act:
Destruction of animals79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.

Definitions:

"officer" means
(a) a constable, a conservation officer, the director, an assistant director or a regional manager,
(a.1) subject to subsection (3), a park ranger appointed under the Park Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96344_01), or
(b) an employee of the government designated by name or position as an officer, by regulation of the minister;

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 01:46 PM
I G you would let your animals run loose and then sue someone if something happened to them not even near your residence. when you have no idea what they were up to.to me that is wrong. j270wsm is that in fact true about dogs chasing wildlife.

It would all depend on the circumstances however under the circumstances at question, you bet I'd sue him. It happened on private property, there was no evidence that the dogs were chasing livestock or wildlife nor any evidence or even suggestion that the dogs were attacking the "hunter." Where the so called "hunter" gets the right to shoot these dogs is beyond me.
Now, if my dogs leave the cabin yard, head up the River and attack the donkey in it's yard then yes, if the owner shoots my dogs I'd apologize to her and sadly bury my dogs. If her donkey was harmed I'd be pulling out my wallet too.
But that's nowhere near the case here.
And no, you can't shoot dogs chasing wildlife, only a CO or Police Officer can do that. Having said that, again depending on the circumstances, I might shoot my dogs if they were harassing wildlife.

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
I feel sorry for the people who lost there dogs, but when I read they were found not on their property. but had to go to a nearby rural road to find them. I feel the dogs should not be running loose . not a reason to kill them but they both have a part in this.

And girls shouldn't wear short skirts if they don't want to be raped. (yes, that's sarcastic)

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 01:54 PM
They were still on a property that was ok by the owner. Was the hunter?

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Having said that, again depending on the circumstances, I might shoot my dogs if they were harassing wildlife.

It'd have to be pretty severe circumstances for me to go that far...but I'm super attached to my dog (probably unreasonably so...he sleeps under the covers on my side of the bed in winter to be warmer...I end up sleeping poorly but somehow still don't mind). Even if he did something reprehensible, I'd be more likely to be keeping him fully leashed, etc. And if an act was in progress, I'd be diving on him and pulling him off and taking the heat for whatever repercussions came of it. Like when I paid $11,000 to fix his knees. So many people said "why don't you just put him down?" and I could honestly say that the thought had never even crossed my mind.

This whole story just makes me sad for dog owners and hunters alike. It's bad for everyone.

j270wsm
06-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Wildlife Act:
Destruction of animals

79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.

Definitions:

"officer" means
(a) a constable, a conservation officer, the director, an assistant director or a regional manager,
(a.1) subject to subsection (3), a park ranger appointed under the Park Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96344_01), or
(b) an employee of the government designated by name or position as an officer, by regulation of the minister;

ok, I was led to believe that anyone witnessing the event could legally shoot the dog or dogs. I know the co's I've spoken with said they wouldn't press charges if someone shot a dog for harassing wildlife or livestock.

northernbc
06-02-2016, 02:42 PM
thank you very much ruger#1, and I resemble that remark:smile: I G i completely agree with your response to me. agsilver that's not really helpful to me..i was very interested in this as i have in the past witnessed dogs chasing down a mulie doe, she was bit up bad. i wanted to shoot the dogs (it was crown land).but i did not know the rules so i did not shoot. now i know the law much better thanks to this.officer only, that is the law.

steveo
06-02-2016, 02:47 PM
They were still on a property that was ok by the owner. Was the hunter?

So maybe someone was also trespassing. I believe the shooter was the brother of the farmer who owned the land that the dogs were on. There may be a difference between at the time of the shooting not having issue with the dogs on the property and giving consent to letting your dogs run on my property.

steveo
06-02-2016, 02:51 PM
It'd have to be pretty severe circumstances for me to go that far...but I'm super attached to my dog (probably unreasonably so...he sleeps under the covers on my side of the bed in winter to be warmer...I end up sleeping poorly but somehow still don't mind). Even if he did something reprehensible, I'd be more likely to be keeping him fully leashed, etc. And if an act was in progress, I'd be diving on him and pulling him off and taking the heat for whatever repercussions came of it. Like when I paid $11,000 to fix his knees. So many people said "why don't you just put him down?" and I could honestly say that the thought had never even crossed my mind.

This whole story just makes me sad for dog owners and hunters alike. It's bad for everyone. If the farmers brother set killing snares around the deer bones/bait pile and snared and killed the neighbours dogs would you feel any different?

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Mike Griffith says he knew something was wrong when his Mastiff-cross dogs, Ryker and Phylo, didn't return home on Tuesday. In his search for the animals, Griffith visited a neighbour.
“He said he hadn't seen my dogs, but then throughout the course of the conversation he mentioned that his brother had shot two wolves that morning,”

above is from the original story....below from the court case story

"He immediately realized what he had done after making the mistake and he just panicked," said Benton's lawyer Micah Rankin.

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 03:20 PM

This whole story just makes me sad for dog owners and hunters alike. It's bad for everyone.

Yes, it would have to be pretty bad as I love my mutts like you love yours. Yesterday one of them took off and rousted two mule deer from the woods beside the KVR when we were walking towards the Lake - no I wouldn't shoot him for that. Had the very unfortunate experience of arriving late to the scene to watch my neighbour's dog rag dolling a fawn to death at the River. Could / would I shoot my dog if that happened? Who knows?

steveo
06-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Yes, it would have to be pretty bad as I love my mutts like you love yours. Yesterday one of them took off and rousted two mule deer from the woods beside the KVR when we were walking towards the Lake - no I wouldn't shoot him for that. Had the very unfortunate experience of arriving late to the scene to watch my neighbour's dog rag dolling a fawn to death at the River. Could / would I shoot my dog if that happened? Who knows?I think that would qualify for an example of a dog owner not being in control of their dog.

digginsweatinswearin
06-02-2016, 03:39 PM
No,. the dogs should not have been roaming alone but if he says he thought he was shooting wolves, he is just a liar. Sad for the dogs and for this moron's family, after all they have to live with him.

steveo
06-02-2016, 03:49 PM
No,. the dogs should not have been roaming alone but if he says he thought he was shooting wolves, he is just a liar. Sad for the dogs and for this moron's family, after all they have to live with him.Why call him a liar, do you know more about the article than we know.

Manglinmike
06-02-2016, 04:28 PM
As wideopenthrotle has said the story does not jive. And as for the dogs being on Private property i didnt see that in the article just that they were by a bait pile on a rural road ,no collars,I have a chocolate lab and I have high vizz collars in the door map pockets of all my vehicles and he dosent go off the property without one whether at home or at the cabin.

BRvalley
06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
if he can't properly ID a wolf, can he ID a whitie vs mulie buck? the onus is always on the shooter to properly ID before he pulls the trigger, full stop, end of story

I can fully understand an honest mistake in the heat of the moment, but just like the lady that let 6 dogs die in the back of her camper, how you handle yourself after the incident is important and I firmly believe how you deal with the mistake should be reflected in the severity of the consequences you pay........

I have 2 chocolate labs and one has been mistaken for a pitbull, not sure how lol.....as an overly cautious dog owner, possibly paranoid even, I take extra steps to keep my mutts safe (hi vis collar and reflective body harness), but I still worry and will pull out of an area grouse hunting if I see other hunters/find fresh hunter sign

ktantra
06-02-2016, 05:28 PM
but I still worry and will pull out of an area grouse hunting if I see other hunters/find fresh hunter sign

what is a 'fresh hunter sign'?

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I think that would qualify for an example of a dog owner not being in control of their dog.

Yup, I agree, my dog was out of control at that moment and I got him back under control quickly, it was sudden reaction.
No excuses, my fault and if anything happened I accept responsibility.

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 05:55 PM
what is a 'fresh hunter sign'?

Fresh turds with toilet paper. :mrgreen:

steveo
06-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Yup, I agree, my dog was out of control at that moment and I got him back under control quickly, it was sudden reaction.
No excuses, my fault and if anything happened I accept responsibility. I meant the neighbors dog that was rag-dolling the fawn to death.

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 06:03 PM
If the farmers brother set killing snares around the deer bones/bait pile and snared and killed the neighbours dogs would you feel any different?

If he was legally entitled to set snares and had set them appropriately, it would then become a very unfortunate incident instead of one of primarily recklessness. I would, personally, want him punished severely even though no punishment is rational in that situation. But I'd be gutted, so that's reasonable, too.

300rum700
06-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Millions of kids living in poverty, war, major climate change and this thread goes on for 9 pages? I bet the kids starving in Africa would love hearing about fluffy that got dusted for running where it wasn't supposed to be. First world problems!

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Millions of kids living in poverty, war, major climate change and this thread goes on for 9 pages? I bet the kids starving in Africa would love hearing about fluffy that got dusted for running where it wasn't supposed to be. First world problems!

You picked this thread to make that point? 34 pages on people having to register off-road vehicles and THIS is the one that's a problem? You must have never loved a dog.

300rum700
06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
You picked this thread to make that point? 34 pages on people having to register off-road vehicles and THIS is the one that's a problem? You must have never loved a dog.

Wrong. I've got two that are my closest companions but guess what, I take care of them and don't let them be someone else's problem. If loosing a dog provokes this much emotion from you, you really need to take a closer look at what the rest of the world lives in.

steveo
06-02-2016, 06:25 PM
You picked this thread to make that point? 34 pages on people having to register off-road vehicles and THIS is the one that's a problem? You must have never loved a dog.How much did the dog owner love his dogs, it is a funny kind of love to let your dog out in the morning, wish your dog a nice day and go to work and then wonder why they didn't come home at the end of the day. Now aside from the dogs well being which seems to be on the back burner from the owner, how do you as a dog owner know that it didn't cause a car accident with a human fatality when you are at work. Sorry but as a trapper, property owner, hunter and dog owner I have less sympathy for the dog owner than the hunter who may have made an honest mistake.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Millions of kids living in poverty, war, major climate change and this thread goes on for 9 pages? I bet the kids starving in Africa would love hearing about fluffy that got dusted for running where it wasn't supposed to be. First world problems! You should start another thread about that.

scoutlt1
06-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Can someone tell me where the "second" world is?

I think that's where I want to live.

300rum700
06-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Can someone tell me where the "second" world is?

I think that's where I want to live.

'Merica!!!

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 06:31 PM
'Merica!!! North or South?

AgSilver
06-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Wrong. I've got two that are my closest companions but guess what, I take care of them and don't let them be someone else's problem. If loosing a dog provokes this much emotion from you, you really need to take a closer look at what the rest of the world lives in.

I don't live in the rest of the world. I live here. Everything that impacts me here cannot be compared about what everyone else deals with elsewhere or else I would never get out of bed or would simply move to a third world country and live their lives so that I was guilt free about...what? Being fortunate enough to have been born in a place where I have the luxury to care about pets rather than where my next meal is coming from.

How much did the dog owner love his dogs, it is a funny kind of love to let your dog out in the morning, wish your dog a nice day and go to work and then wonder why they didn't come home at the end of the day. Now aside from the dogs well being which seems to be on the back burner from the owner, how do you as a dog owner know that it didn't cause a car accident with a human fatality when you are at work. Sorry but as a trapper, property owner, hunter and dog owner I have less sympathy for the dog owner than the hunter who may have made an honest mistake.

Different approaches to the same issue. Country life is different. At my mom's house, on their acreage, they had a dog for many years that was only chained up in particular circumstances and otherwise roamed freely. They may not have been as sad if that dog had died in these circumstances as...country life is different and there will be varying attachments formed. I live in the city and therefore my view is coloured by my city life with my accompanying worldview. I have a feeling that there are many rural areas where those two lines are heavily blurred, though.

The dog owner loved his dogs enough to pursue charges and move away from the area...so I'd say significantly. Your standard for their love probably fails to account for their reality.

Iron Glove
06-02-2016, 06:46 PM
I meant the neighbors dog that was rag-dolling the fawn to death.

Yes, I appreciate that however in my opinion my dog was out of control, albeit temporarily, when he took off after the deer.
Agree not to the degree that the rag-doller was but still not acceptable to me.

Mishka
06-02-2016, 07:06 PM

I can never understand comments like this. Why do issues have to be one OR the other? - I love my dog therefore I don't care about the starving kids. Why can't I love my dog AND care about the starving kids... I believe most adults are emotionally capable of this. No?

Caribou_lou
06-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Mastiffs don't look like a WOLF, but your right a bright coloured collar would of helped.

Have you taken a look at the pictures in the article? The dog on right clearly does not look Mastif.

Id like to know how many commenters here have shot or seen a wolf in the wild. And if they saw that dog while out hunting on crown land where wolves live, what would they do? Im not saying he made the right choices. Just making a point its a mistake im sure a few would make.

300rum700
06-02-2016, 07:16 PM
I can never understand comments like this. Why do issues have to be one OR the other? - I love my dog thus I don't care about the starving kids. Why can't I love my dog AND care about the starving kids... I believe most adults are emotionally capable of this. No?

I'm sure you love your dog enough to keep it at home safe and out of harms way. These people obviously didn't.

squamishhunter
06-02-2016, 08:51 PM
I know who voted for justine

180grainer
06-02-2016, 09:17 PM
People who live out in the country tend to let their dogs do what they want. It's no different than being in town. "Keep your dogs on your property"!!!!! Dog owners are as much to blame as the hunter in my opinion......and I say that with the caveat that those dogs don't look like wolves....

180grainer
06-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Mike Griffith says he knew something was wrong when his Mastiff-cross dogs, Ryker and Phylo, didn't return home on Tuesday.
Doesn't this say it all? "he knew something was wrong when the dogs didn't come home"? This idiot knew his dogs were out running wild. This guy clearly doesn't care about the local wildlife or his neighbors live stock. Or maybe I'm missing something and his dogs are vegetarians.......

Xenomorph
06-03-2016, 07:58 AM
I know who voted for justine

Had me laughing out loud at the office, well done!

BRvalley
06-03-2016, 08:08 AM

the starving kids are still mourning over cecil, of course they don't care about fluffy

303savage
06-03-2016, 08:28 AM
If the dogs werew chasing deer,moose etc. they should be shot. but make sure they are dead.

SSG-man
06-03-2016, 09:20 AM
They look a little bit more like a Hyena than a wolf but is it still legal to shoot runnin dogs even if they are after game?
Miss identifying game can lead to big mistakes

ACB
06-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Have you taken a look at the pictures in the article? The dog on right clearly does not look Mastif.

Id like to know how many commenters here have shot or seen a wolf in the wild. And if they saw that dog while out hunting on crown land where wolves live, what would they do? Im not saying he made the right choices. Just making a point its a mistake im sure a few would make.
I guess you have to read the whole article and see the photo of the dog called Phylo a English mastiff cross, your right he really doesn't look like a mastiff but that said he looks nothing like a WOLF and yes I'v seen wolfs in the wild and at very close range. That close that my when I shot at it that the bullet wasn't at it's line of sight yet and went under it chest, twice, less than 10yds. I had seen it walking down the road towards me at least a km. away at first thought it was a black bear it being all black but could tell by it's gate that it wasn't a bear but a wolf. It kept coming until it was broad side. Unfortunately it didn't die that day but had the crap scared out of it. Unfortunately this fellow couldn't discern the difference between a wolf and a domestic dog and it's cost him dearly.

ruger#1
06-03-2016, 10:11 AM
They look a little bit more like a Hyena than a wolf but is it still legal to shoot runnin dogs even if they are after game?
Miss identifying game can lead to big mistakes

Wildlife Act:
Destruction of animals

Definitions:

"officer" means
(a.1) subject to subsection (3), a park ranger appointed under the Park Act, or

AgSilver
06-03-2016, 10:27 AM
...and it's cost him dearly.

Not that dearly...after his conditional discharge timing is up, he won't even have a criminal record.

steveo
06-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Not that dearly...after his conditional discharge timing is up, he won't even have a criminal record.Does shooting a black horse or beef cow carry a criminal record for the guy who thought he was shooting a cow moose.

steveo
06-03-2016, 11:54 AM
I guess you have to read the whole article and see the photo of the dog called Phylo a English mastiff cross, your right he really doesn't look like a mastiff but that said he looks nothing like a WOLF and yes I'v seen wolfs in the wild and at very close range. That close that my when I shot at it that the bullet wasn't at it's line of sight yet and went under it chest, twice, less than 10yds. I had seen it walking down the road towards me at least a km. away at first thought it was a black bear it being all black but could tell by it's gate that it wasn't a bear but a wolf. It kept coming until it was broad side. Unfortunately it didn't die that day but had the crap scared out of it. Unfortunately this fellow couldn't discern the difference between a wolf and a domestic dog and it's cost him dearly.What do you think are the overwhelming features that a wolf has and a domestic dog does not that would produce positive identification?

AgSilver
06-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Does shooting a black horse or beef cow carry a criminal record for the guy who thought he was shooting a cow moose.

I don't see why not. But regardless, I already said that I thought the punishment was appropriate...I'm just saying that it's not that severe of a punishment.

Mis-identification is a massive mistake. Not a little mistake. It's a massive error and shows tremendous carelessness...one might even say "a wanton disregard for responsibilities as a hunter and firearms owner". That's how tragic hunting accidents happen and people get shot because they're wearing brown and carrying antlers...but by the implications of your postings here, if I'm properly reading into what you're saying and extrapolating appropriately, that shouldn't be a big deal and would be totally reasonable. I mean, why isn't the hunter who got shot wearing blaze orange and, really, why does he have the antlers.

steveo
06-03-2016, 01:26 PM
I don't see why not. But regardless, I already said that I thought the punishment was appropriate...I'm just saying that it's not that severe of a punishment.

Mis-identification is a massive mistake. Not a little mistake. It's a massive error and shows tremendous carelessness...one might even say "a wanton disregard for responsibilities as a hunter and firearms owner". That's how tragic hunting accidents happen and people get shot because they're wearing brown and carrying antlers...but by the implications of your postings here, if I'm properly reading into what you're saying and extrapolating appropriately, that shouldn't be a big deal and would be totally reasonable. I mean, why isn't the hunter who got shot wearing blaze orange and, really, why does he have the antlers.From your comment it seemed you were disappointed that a criminal record did not accompany his actions. Just trying to understand why lots of people are so ready to tar and feather this guy from nothing more than the words in an article. There are lots of animals killed/wounded every year from bad identification techniques that show tremendous carelessness and massive error. For some reason this seems to carry more weight, obviously two dogs lost their live but how much more important is that than a moose or a deer needlessly losing theirs.

AgSilver
06-03-2016, 01:55 PM
From your comment it seemed you were disappointed that a criminal record did not accompany his actions. Just trying to understand why lots of people are so ready to tar and feather this guy from nothing more than the words in an article. There are lots of animals killed/wounded every year from bad identification techniques that show tremendous carelessness and massive error. For some reason this seems to carry more weight, obviously two dogs lost their live but how much more important is that than a moose or a deer needlessly losing theirs.

Nah man, I know too much about this stuff to feel too strongly about a particular sentence...particularly knowing the lawyer involved. My comment had no implications other than the literal ones - a conditional discharge really isn't that severe (and, earlier in the thread, I commented that it was probably the appropriate sentence).

And, in my mind, the two dogs are (if I'm being totally honest with myself) probably 50% - 100% more important than "actual" wildlife. I know that's not fair or even reasonable...definitely not logical...but I also acknowledge that I'm a product of our society and we have an intrinsic value on pets that isn't attributed to wild animals. I still feel that the same sentence would be appropriate to someone who mis-identified wildlife with a similar result; however, on a personal level, the dogs hit harder.

scott h
06-08-2016, 06:23 PM
The idiot should lose his guns and hunting privileges for life if he thinks he was shooting at wolves. He's either stupid a liar or blind........

scott h
06-08-2016, 06:37 PM

scott h
06-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Does shooting a black horse or beef cow carry a criminal record for the guy who thought he was shooting a cow moose.

Lots of horses and cows shot by the same quality of "hunter" every year as the douche in the story. Really makes you shake your head.

hardnocks
06-08-2016, 07:45 PM
The idiot should lose his guns and hunting privileges for life if he thinks he was shooting at wolves. He's either stupid a liar or blind........
really you know what wolves look like ....do you know what every wolf looks like . wolves are not pure their are cross breeds i shot two wolves from a pack 3 years ago . one looked a lot like a doberman .

dogs in rural area`s are a real problem....because city people move to the country were the dogs can run free....if you have a dog keep it at home .

AgSilver
06-08-2016, 07:54 PM
dogs in rural area`s are a real problem....because city people move to the country were the dogs can run free....if you have a dog keep it at home .

Funny, my parents have never lived in the City and always let their dog roam free...(and all of their neighbours who have dogs do the same thing). Never caused a problem...and never got shot.

yamadirt 426
06-08-2016, 08:01 PM

x2 on losing his privilege. Id say he is 2 out of 3 of those and throw a loser on top for good measure. I will also add the owner of the dogs is also a loser. Dogs should not be left alone to run loose ever.

BlacktailStalker
06-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Tough deal if those were mine, eye glasses woulda been a lot cheaper than replacing everything he'd lose in the fire.

scott h
06-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Tough deal if those were mine, eye glasses woulda been a lot cheaper than replacing everything he'd lose in the fire.

My thoughts exactly...........

curt
06-11-2016, 09:39 AM
I bet if someone looked into it there is probably some type of history between these people or they are just plain stupid...... bottom line is in rural area's people should have better control of there pets yes but as a hunter you should always know 110% what the fu** you are shooting at both people in this situation are idiots IMO!!

Bugle M In
06-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Both Parties, IMO, are guilty.
Know what you are shooting at...before you shoot.
Owners of pets, need to be responsible for where there pets are at...period.

freezerfiller
12-02-2016, 10:40 AM
The dogs were 40 yards off of his 160 acre property. The dog owner and the shooter have a long standing feud and the shooter had previously threatened to shoot the dogs.

freezerfiller
12-02-2016, 10:41 AM
The shooter has lost his guns 2 times previously for poaching and criminal reasons...

takla1
12-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Were the offending dogs running his livestock??
that would do it for sure..

takla

freezerfiller
12-02-2016, 10:51 AM
The shooter didn't own livestock. I was on the neighboring farm when this happened. Ever farmer in the area has free ranging livestock protection dogs including myself. It could have been my son walking behind my dog that this jackass shot.

freezerfiller
12-02-2016, 10:52 AM
I can't believe the lack of charges in this case... Last I checked it was illegal to bait wolves, hunt at night, not verify your target and beyond ect!

takla1
12-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Obviously he's directing his anger at the dogs.Do you know for a fact the offending dogs haven't been on his property?Maybe he has kids himself that were threatened by the dogs.or the dogs were into his garbage or sh_tting on his doorstep??
Otherwise he's unstable...and the cops will deal with him

takla

shmengy
12-02-2016, 11:05 AM
If some dumb asshole shot my dog,he best be looking for another planet to live on.Seems to be an awful lot of hunters up here that should not have the privilege of a hunting licence,let alone a PAL.

wideopenthrottle
12-02-2016, 11:14 AM
this was a case of bad blood between neighbours with the dogs becoming collateral damage when the "crazy brother" gets involved.....At least that is the way it seems to me from reading all the info at hand

MB_Boy
12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
.. Last I checked it was illegal to bait wolves

Pssst....you may want to check again. :biggrin:

finngun
12-02-2016, 12:02 PM
how many can identyfy dog,,coyote..or wolf...300yards away,,and never make mistake on any of them?..i know not pull a trigger,,if ya not sure..but is it too much to ask dog owner to put something for the puppy bright colour ..like collar etc. what is easy to see..?
there really are dogs ..what looks like coyote,,or wolf from distance.....besides near indian reservates are pack of semi wild dogs roaming around..what about them?:shock:

4x4
12-02-2016, 12:31 PM
I can't believe that so many people are blaming the dog owners and yes I know they need to be responsible as well.

I understand that the dogs were running free but come on folks give your head a freaking shake. As hunters we all should know what the f%^k we are shooting at. No excuses.
For this guy to shoot these dogs and let them suffer is an insult to every hunter that does the right thing in the bush and then we wonder why so many people are against hunting.
Our responsibility as hunters and outdoors people is quite large and I know most follow the rules but it's idiots like this guy that bring this sport down.

Rob
12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Don't wolves have bushy tails? Think alot of people are too keen to drop wolves but have never seen them in the wild.

srupp
12-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Hmmm years ago my twin brother and I were boating down Quesnel Lake. .when Gerry reaches for his rifle and SAYS WOLVES. .8 or 9 wolves appeared on the shore instantly I yelled DONT SHOOT...they are dogs..it was Bettis part wolf dogs..the orange flagged tape on their collars saved their life's. .
These dogs don't look remotely like wolves..

I now need 2 high visability collars one for my 75 pound black lab..so not confused with a wolf...
The other for my 54 year old wife. .so she is not confused as a cougar when out walking our wolf look alike..lol
Srupp

finngun
12-02-2016, 09:16 PM
in port alberni i meet a lady with a 'dog' what was 75% wolf..so if ya shoot that 'dog' in a bush..are ya shooting a dog ,,or a wolf??who is gonna get the blame?owner or shooter?or 'dog':wink:

Rob
12-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Lol. Nice one Srupp. I've got an elkhound so there is no way I'll have her running around without some orange on her

Looking_4_Jerky
12-02-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing the bones had been placed with the intent of drawing in the two dogs which the shooter had previously threatened to shoot. There is undoubtedly more to the story than we're seeing/hearing. But, the shooter is obviously lying and he got off with a slap on the ass for a sh!tbrain move that makes the rest of us hunters look like a bunch of savages.

Thanks for helping our cause, Rick, you moron. Hopefully you keep up the dickbrain antics and someday soon get your license revoked so our community of hunters will be just slightly less tainted by your kind. Until then, keep up the great species ID, buddy!

hunter1947
12-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Letting your dog run loose in the woods is a no no there could be snares and leg hold traps in the area there might be wolves etc as well what a shame regarding the dog..

labguy
12-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Letting your dog run loose in the woods is a no no there could be snares and leg hold traps in the area there might be wolves etc as well what a shame regarding the dog..

Exactely....too many people who move to rural areas feel it's their god give right to let their dogs run free. A free roaming dog, particularly in the company on another dog, will usually get up to no good......chasing livestock, chasing wildlife, eating garbage etc.

Bonz
12-03-2016, 07:03 AM
they dont look wolf to me. think he got a fair deal in court for the mistake. it is his responsability to know his target for sure.
also feel landowner should be fined or something if the dogs were loose and not supose to be

Ratso
12-03-2016, 10:59 AM
This kind of shooting is dangerous to hunters...If you can't be 100% sure of what you are shooting then you don't take the shot. Simple. If he shoots dogs that are obviously not wolves then what kind of judgement is he exercising when out for deer, moose etc with other hunters potentially in the area?

Caribou_lou
12-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Lots of guys saying that dog on the right looks nothing like a wolf. But If that dog was by itself in the back of the truck and a guy posted that photo in a thread saying I dropped this wolf today. 95% of guys posting would be saying great job bud! Saved a few deer!

Imagine you see that black dog chasing a doe and fawn through a cut. I know I wouldn't think twice!

Camp Cook
12-04-2016, 08:06 AM
My dog always has a bright blaze orange collar on.

You don't want your dogs shot be responsible and put something on them that is easily identifiable.

I've no idea where this occurred but if it was in remote wilderness area the shooter should not have been charge in my opinion.

curt
12-04-2016, 11:45 AM
well number one dog owners should keep their dogs on their own property and under control that is a given..... however if this guy honestly thought these dogs were wolves then he shouldn't be walking around with a gun anyway because they look nothing like wolves and we dont need trigger happy twits like this running around with guns!!

freezerfiller
12-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Is it now legal? That would make sense to as why he wasn't charged. I thought BC was one of the only provinces to not allow baiting for predators...
Doesn't matter in my opinion as this guy had vegetables in his bait pile for deer as well, he was shooting at night from the road and bait pile was 20 yards into the bush.

freezerfiller
12-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Dogs were 20 yards off the road.

Wild one
12-04-2016, 02:48 PM
well number one dog owners should keep their dogs on their own property and under control that is a given..... however if this guy honestly thought these dogs were wolves then he shouldn't be walking around with a gun anyway because they look nothing like wolves and we dont need trigger happy twits like this running around with guns!!

Exactly how I feel 2 people screwed up hunter and dog owner unfortanatly the dogs are the ones who paid for it