PDA

View Full Version : back pack hunting newbie. what gear do I need.

sako79
05-31-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm going to try my luck at getting away from the road this year and going on some backpack hunts anywhere from one day to one week. I just picked up the Alps Commander pack I'm wondering what other beer do you guys use and what I will need for sure. So many different product out there

wos
05-31-2016, 06:00 PM
freeze dried beer any brand much lighter than bottles.

sako79
05-31-2016, 06:04 PM
freeze dried beer any brand much lighter than bottles.

�� except I want Jack Daniels

TreeStandMan
05-31-2016, 06:04 PM
You really should count your ounces when packing in, so make sure it's a light beer.

AgSilver
05-31-2016, 06:06 PM
You really should count your ounces when packing in, so make sure it's a light beer.

haha, that's a good one. props!

swampthing
05-31-2016, 06:17 PM
In short you need a good light sleeping bag, sleeping pad, a light tent and a backpack stove like a jetboil. Lightweight is the answer. Great gear is expensive but you can get by with cheaper stuff.

smallfry14
05-31-2016, 06:36 PM
In short you need a good light sleeping bag, sleeping pad, a light tent and a backpack stove like a jetboil. Lightweight is the answer. Great gear is expensive but you can get by with cheaper stuff.

What he said ^. One thing that'll save space is compression sacks. You can get waterproof ones or else just regular ones. Depending on the time of year and area, you can probably get away with just a tarp rather than a full tent. That'll save a bunch of weight and space as well. You can be as minimalist or luxurious as you want. Just keep in mind that with luxury, comes weight. Make sure you have enough space in your pack to haul out any game that you shoot!

smallfry14
05-31-2016, 06:40 PM
Also use the search function and look at the sheep hunting gear threads. Lots of great info there

Chuck Norris
05-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Beyond basic sleeping equipment I always carry a good lightweight first aid kit, which includes a space blanket, starter and matches/lighters. Do a few searches on this site and you will find some good threads on backpacking gear. One thing that should not be overlooked is being prepared to deal with/quarter an animal in the back country. If you have never used the 'gutless' quartering method or caped an animal do some research and find out how. And learn to de-bone properly if you are going to be really far back. Lots of people spend time counting ounces and going over packing lists and don't spend enough time learning what to do when they finally get an animal down away from their truck/quad/help. This will save you huge when you shoot the trophy of a lifetime. (PS There is nothing more satisfying and rewarding than having success when you have had to work your ass off for it)

allan
05-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Go for an hr hike in the worst weather ( rain) you can find, then set up camp over night, bring a meal for dinner and breakfast. You will find out what you need and what works to go backpack hunting real quick.
Then do it for three nights in the worst weather you can find. If you can do three days in rainy weather and still feel good. Just pack for cooler fall temps
Then add rifle or bow and your good to go.

boxhitch
05-31-2016, 07:40 PM
3 days can be soaked up sitting under a tarp playing cards.

Sako79, you need time out in the woods camping to figure out what style is good for you, there are lots of ways to get it done.
Once you are comfortable with a system, its easy to flex things as conditions change.
The hunt is not the time to figure out that a hammock isn't for you or that the minimalist way would travel better than your cushy tent.

Top 4
-safety and survival
-conveyance, how you get it all there
-shelter, variety times n squared plus or minus according to temperature
-food

Weatherby Fan
05-31-2016, 08:04 PM
X2 What Boxhitch said above

A good comfortable pack,
a warm sleeping bag, a light warm sleeping bag requires a pad
jetboil stoves are awesome
a basic first aid kit,needle&thread,band aids, moleskin, wipes
spectra twine
Ultralight outdoor edge replaceable blade knife, I pack a Wyoming Saw depending on the hunt
Compass, gun, bullets and binos, food and water, and your good to go

kebes
05-31-2016, 09:07 PM
Toilet paper. Never forget toilet paper.

sako79
05-31-2016, 09:16 PM
X2 What Boxhitch said above

A good comfortable pack,
a warm sleeping bag, a light warm sleeping bag requires a pad
jetboil stoves are awesome
a basic first aid kit,needle&thread,band aids, moleskin, wipes
spectra twine
Ultralight outdoor edge replaceable blade knife, I pack a Wyoming Saw depending on the hunt
Compass, gun, bullets and binos, food and water, and your good to go

i actually use the havalon knives and love it. for a sleeping bag im thinking the lightest warmest variety like -18c

kebes
05-31-2016, 09:33 PM
-If you're taking a spotting scope I would recommend an eye patch (pick it up at a local pharmacy).
-A camelback trumps water bottles in my opinion.
-Lip balm/chap can come in handy
-Energy goo is awesome

Do lots of research before you purchase. I wanted a backpacking tent when I first started thinking about sheep hunting. I didn't do a lot of research and ended up with a single wall north face tent that collects way to much condensation to be useful outside of a few specific circumstances. That was a couple hundred dollar lesson.

As as has been mentioned, the sheep gear threads have some great info in them. Best of luck!

Brno22F
05-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Also use the search function and look at the sheep hunting gear threads. Lots of great info there
Best advice on this thread is the quote above. My son and I prepared for our sheep hunt by doing just that. I found at least 4 gear lists posted that I was able to use to help put together a 60 pound pack with enough provisions for a 10 day hunt.
We had been doing high country mule deer hunts for a few years so much of the gear we already had. Biggest difference was food and cooking for the sheep hunt. Living above timberline there were no camp fires. All cooking was done on a primus gas stove. We managed with 1 pot and a bowl and spoon each. I still hate the thought of eating mountainhouse meals but they serve the purpose.