PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunt Gone South

medic11
05-31-2016, 10:26 AM
I've been on this site since 2012, however, I mostly just read and learn. I've made 3 posts, this will be my 4th. I'll probably take some bashing on this post, but I understand. I have been hunting on and off since I was a teenager. Only in the last 10 years have I really taken this up and pursued it hard. My kids and I have been successful every year, and we love doing it. I have never really hunted bear, by choice. i don't really eat it, but this year I decided that I would start hunting bear. This website helped with that decision. I did my homework and felt prepared enough to do it. I was going to be a part of the bear hunting community and do my part for conservation.

On Sunday I decided to head out on an evening bear hunt. My best friend wanted to come along so I picked him up and we headed out around 1800hrs. We drove around, walked into a few cut blocks. We saw some bear scat on the road that was probably a day old. Came across an old decommissioned road that had deadfalls across it and was over grown. Since we had been in the truck for quite awhile, decided to head out for a walk. It was around 2030 hrs. As we walked down this road we marvelled at how much moose poop was on it. You couldn't go 10 steps without coming across it. Lots of green leafy trees for the moose to eat. Road was encroached with these trees and made for not very good view lines off the road, yet we continued to walk down it. All of a sudden, we could hear audible cracks of branches coming from up above us in the pines. No way of telling what it was, but we assumed it was a moose. We froze on the road and waited. The cracking stopped and a few minutes later a big cinnamon bear popped out on the road ahead of us at about 70 yards. It was lumbering away from us and the wind was in our face. What luck! I was carrying my Sako 375 H&H with a leupold 3.5-10. I raised the gun and had a look. I only had his back and head, as we were slightly elevated from him. Three times I had this view, but decided not to take the shot, even though, I was sure I could spine him, it still didn't FEEL right. We followed him down the road, losing sight of him a couple of times. It was exhilarating to be following this big bear down the road and he had no idea we were there. We lost sight of him after rounding a corner to a straight stretch. After a few moments, he popped out left to right, slightly quartered away. I raised the gun again, decided i didn't like the standing shot, so I kneeled. Didn't feel good there, so I saw a small 8 inch log to my right jutting up a few feet off the ground. I slowly moved towards it, all the while keeping an eye on the feeding bear. The shot had to be done asap, that there were trees that had overgrown the road he was stopped at and there was no way we could get through there without him hearing us. I was just over a hundred yards away. Two feet away from the log, I stepped on an unseen branch. CRACK! The bears head shot up and he moved to full side profile. I took two steps to log, put the rifle down on it, and pulled his profile into the scope. He started to move left to right, and I squeezed what I had as a center body shot. BOOM! Rifle cracked, shoulder shot back, saw bear spin towards back. Then it took off, to the right. It's 2050 hours. Knowing that we only had 20 or minutes of light left, we made our way down there after only 5 minutes of waiting. It was not a good situation to be in, as light had faded and we were in the shade of the mountain. Dense brush surrounded both sides of the road and there was no dead bear right on the road. No obvious blood. It was tense! I was the only one with a rifle and we know knew there was a wounded bear around. After a few minutes, we decided to back out as light was fading and this was not going to be a good situation. That was the longest 20 minutes of my life walking back to the truck, replaying everything in my head over and over and over again. My friends parents lived on 20 mins away, so we stayed there that night. We wanted to be back up there at the crack of dawn. His parents are avid hunters so they understood and were ready to come back up in the morning with us. I also called my brother in law, who is a guide, and has hounds. He agreed to come up there in the morning as well!

A very sleepless night came. I was pretty much up until 330, going over things in my head again and again. I was sick to my stomach about having possibly wounding an animal and having it suffer. I dozed off and woke up at 430. Up we got and after coffee, headed up to the road. Brother in law was on his way with the dogs, and I was hell bent on finding this bear. We got to the spot and began to search. Found some blood on area of impact and a hole through the bush where he went. Down we went! Drops of blood were evident over some logs and on leaves. Not a lot though, just enough to let us track. This worried me even more now. 80 yards or so down the bank, over deadfalls and under them, I found what appeared to be a chunk of bone. I was happy for a minute, thinking it may be a piece of rib bone. Maybe the bear was close by, as the blood we had been following was also bright red, meaning arterial, possible lung. Another 80 or so yards down, found another chunk of bone. This small piece didn't look like rib though, it looked like leg. I wanted to throw up! We kept going down. After going down about 600 yards, we decided to pull up and go back to the road and wait for the dogs, in case we were either pushing the bear, or in case in was lying down in wait. Got back to the road, and waited a VERY LONG hour for the dogs. When they got there, they got right on the blood trail and down they went. We watched them on the GPS as they went down, down , down, then started veering left, parallel to the road we were on. After they got 1.5 kms away from us, we started walking the road above them. I was getting sicker in my stomach. This just didn't feel right. Now they were making their way up and eventually crossed the road 1km ahead of us. The dogs were now above us. Something was wrong. Did they loose the scent? Were they on a cougar instead of a bear? WTF?????? Felt like peuking there and then!
Brother in law eventually had to break away from us and go find his dogs as they were 2 miles away now.

My friend and I headed back the scene and made out way down again. We went deep into the bush, following drops of blood. Sometimes we would stop and we'd have to do a grid search to locate them again.The bush was thick, the mosquitos were thick and the adrenaline was high. Too many places for a wounded bear to hide. 1.2 kms down, I followed four drops of blood on a log. 3 feet away, two drops on a log. A food past that, some drops on a few leaves and some on some pine needles. Then NOTHING! 1.5 hours of searching around the area yielded not a drop. Started looking in the trees. WTF? We looked and looked and looked. Nothing! What have I done? F###!!!!!!! It's now going on the 1400 hrs and we are exhausted!

The decision is made to stop the search. I am emotionally, mentally and physically drained. A zombie for the rest of the day, I contemplate giving up this sport I was desperately love. I'm feeling like a bag of shit for rushing a shot and wounding an animal. I pride myself on being smart and ethical about shot selection. I failed at this! I've never wounded an animal before. I've always finished the job. Last year a guy I never met before, wounded a deer with a bow, and I tracked that deer for six hours before catching up with it and finishing the job. I don't believe in leaving an animal wounded. This is what is eating away at me.

I know other people have done this before. Did I do enough? Should I head back up again this afternoon? Pack it in? I'd love some advice and would like to hear other stories like this.

Writing this has helped a bit. However, I know I'm going to take some negative comments. I'm prepared and willing to take the heat.

DarekG
05-31-2016, 10:48 AM
Personally if I had 20 minutes of daylight left, I would not have taken the shot.
It's easy for me to say behind a keyboard, I'm sure the excitement and adrenaline you were feeling clouded judgement - We are only human.

I've learned to not take the "Now or never." shots since I legged a buck once. It was not pretty and I felt pretty bad. (I found it and finished the job though.) A hard lesson to learn.

I'll leave your flaming/bashing to the forum experts however.

Fisher-Dude
05-31-2016, 10:55 AM
Go back. Ribbon the area out where you found blood sign. Listen for ravens. If he's down, the birds will be there. Look for water sources - wounded animals often head for water.

Bears don't bleed well for blood trails. The hair sops up the blood.

Interesting that the dogs went uphill. If they were still on the track, and the bear climbed up, it may not be hit mortally. Mortal wounds usually (not always) mean the animal travels downhill.

Jagermeister
05-31-2016, 11:00 AM
20 minutes of daylight left. Do you or don't you, that is the question? I would say that it comes down to your shooting ability and judgement. It appears to me that your shooting ability is fine. Judgement....that may be a little questionable. However, you must have felt confident to take the shot. Probably thinking you might anchor him, but with bears, that is seldom the case. Aside from all of that, you went to great length in a recovery attempt, far more than most others would have taken. So don't sweat it, go back and look for a cinnamon bear with a hobble and while you're at it, check nearby water sources.

RiverOtter
05-31-2016, 11:39 AM
You made a mistake, you did your best to rectify it, and I'm certain you've learned from it. Not much else to say....

Being the hounds didn't come up with anything, I'm thinking you didn't mortally wound it, as it would have laid down overnight being that you didn't push it. Leg shot does sound plausible and not impossible to recover from. I shot a bear once that had a healed up broken jaw, despite being broken right through the joint itself.

Robson
05-31-2016, 11:43 AM
I don't think you did anything wrong. Who's to say you wouldn't have found the bear just inside the bush either that night or the next morning. You still had enough daylight to make the shot safely. It sounds to me that if you would have made that same shot first thing in the morning, the end result would have been the same. I don't agree with the others that you made a bad judgment call in making the shot at the end of the day. It sure sounds like you tried your best to recover the bear.

RiverOtter
05-31-2016, 12:05 PM
Can't speak for others, but my reference to "mistake" was in regards to a poor shot, not time of day.

If time of day hindered your ability to make a good shot, as in you couldn't focus properly, than that is entirely different and you should have passed. Doesn't sound like the case here though.

rocksteady
05-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately that is part of hunting.

As long as it bugs you to lose an animal, you are still in the right mindset...

when end you just laugh and walk away, that's when you should reassess your hunting commitment

Ron.C
05-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Agree 100% with Robson and rocksteady.

ryanb
05-31-2016, 12:44 PM
Everyone that hunts for most of their lives is going to lose an animal. I have, and I bet most of the HBC saints that say it's never happened to them have. Do what you can, learn from what you did wrong, and try your best not to let it happen again.

Let it bother you, that's healthy. It means you're an ethical hunter.

Wrj
05-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Everyone that hunts for most of their lives is going to lose an animal. I have, and I bet most of the HBC saints that say it's never happened to them have. Do what you can, learn from what you did wrong, and try your best not to let it happen again.

Let it bother you, that's healthy. It means you're an ethical hunter.

Exactly what Ryan said above. On a different note, its incredible how much blood gets soaked up by bear hair. Never seem to have that problem with deer!

f350ps
05-31-2016, 12:58 PM
Twenty minutes of shootable light left and a bear presents a shot, change the word bear to Bull Elk, Bull Moose or a big 4 point and I can assure you not one naysayer would walk away! K

RiverOtter
05-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Twenty minutes of shootable light left and a bear presents a shot, change the word bear to Bull Elk, Bull Moose or a big 4 point and I can assure you not one naysayer would walk away! K
PREZACTLY......First and last light is a huge part of hunting.

menace270
05-31-2016, 01:22 PM
About 7 years ago me and a buddy were out hunting for bear and prety much had a similar experience as you. My buddy was ahead of me and as I rounded a corner I seen my buddy lined up on what looked like a nice size bear standing looking at him. My buddy was on one knee lined up and took the shot. The best rolled over backwards and got up and took off there was no time for a second shot as where he went was really thick. We gave it some time and then went in. We found very little blood but did track it for quite a while. We never did find the bear but went in the next day with a few other friends. We were not happy about leaving what could be a wounded bear or maybe a dead bear but we felt like we did everything we could to find him. Shit happens when your hunting and excitement gets the best of us sometimes. There lessons you will never forget and learn from. If you go your whole life and never lose an animal congrats but most hunters will lose an animal. Sounds like you made a lot of effort to find the bear. Coming away disappointed is how your going to feel and that's a good thing but I wouldn't say you did anything wrong.

05-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Personally if I had 20 minutes of daylight left, I would not have taken the shot.

I've taken lots of shots with under 20 minutes of light, and will take more if need be. In fact, I shot last year's buck within a few minutes of the end of legal shooting light. It all depends on your own abilities, confidence and the circumstances.

BRvalley
05-31-2016, 01:30 PM
wait, were you shooting a ttsx? or a crappy partition lol

it's part of the hunt and unfortunately happens with even the most well place shot and especially more so on bears, but what matters most is the effort you put into recovering, you did much more than most would, hats off to ya

TreeStandMan
05-31-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks Medic11 for having the guts to tell this story and enable the discussion. I think that far too often hunters don't acknowledge that not recovering an animal is part of hunting. I've never not recovered an animal (I'm far from the most experienced guy on this site), but after I squeeze the trigger and the animal takes off out of sight, I always have that sinking feeling of self-doubt, wondering, "did I miss, or "is it just wounded." I'm not saying you made any mistakes, only you know that, but by telling your story it's reminded me to be extra careful, and to only take the shot of it feels right. I know I've rushed the shot in the past, and although it's always worked out, you've reminded me of the necessity of staying calm.

Piperdown
05-31-2016, 02:04 PM

Geez i cant believe i am saying this but i agree with this Canuck fan :) Shit happens you did your best learn from it. Also that it bothers you so much then you are a hunter of character.

j270wsm
05-31-2016, 03:32 PM
It happens to everyone.

During my sons first year hunting, we found a bear that was 80yds off the road in a nice grassy area. We bailed out of the truck and made our way up the fsr about 15yds and got set up for the shot. The bear stood broadside and watched us as we got ready. A split second after my son pulled the trigger the bear dropped but jumped back up and ran 30' into the timber. We rushed to the spot the bear went in and started looking but all we found was tracks that went to a huge bank that was near vertical and went straight down to the river. Upon further inspection we could see where it looked like something had slid down the bank into the river. After 25min of searching this small patch of timber we decided to come back in the morning but unfortunately, we never found the bear the next morning. It was a tough lesson for a 10yr old.

RadHimself
05-31-2016, 05:13 PM
happened to me once.... biggest muley ive had an opportunity to get a shot on to date, hitm a bit far back while he was bouncing up the hill across a ravine.

shot felt good, had a decent rest off my backpack, grandpa told me to lead about a foot and squeeze (i was 16), seen him fall on his face then get up and keep bouncing... blood all over the ground where he tumbled could see it on the leaves with the binos. ended up spooking it into a REAL nasty hole and lost it. Was a rude awakening, i was pissed right off about it for a long time. spent 3 seperate days in the hole trying to find tracks, blood, anything...

you live and you learn...

gambling... sometimes you win, sometimes you loose

ive let alot of animals walk because of my incident now, go with your gut.
if it dont feel right your not ready

that first adrenaline rush of the season is a doozy, better to get that over with and let one walk and then be "in the zone" on the next one.

clear headed, breathing, thinking and making that shot count.

two-feet
05-31-2016, 05:39 PM
I had a very similar expirience last year with the shot near last light(of course) and the bear dropped like a sack of hammers but jumped up after a few seconds and took off. Trailed drops of blood on hands and knees till that ran out. It was getting seriously dark so we decided to just wander around for a few minutes and my buddy found it, still very much alive. I was so thankful, that was very close to a non-recovery.

boxhitch
05-31-2016, 06:41 PM
So , medic11, you do know what you did wrong, yes ?

Like others have said , $#it happens. Good that you feel you did your best, get back on and ride

Steeleco
05-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Been there, it's a shitty feeling that will weigh heavy on your mind for some time. Lots of good advice on going back and looking for birds. If you don't find them, he may have absorbed the bullet and non the worse for wear.

I had a buddy shoot a bear with a 54cal BP rifle and never found the bear. A week later got a bear in the same spot with his 280, pulled the previous bullet from the fat on his back.

You just never know

Cpl_Punishment
05-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Minus the bone fragments, I played out almost this exact story, also on a huge colour faze bear. Made my sick, still does to this day. Since that day, I've hesitated a few times when I probably should have shot too. Unfortunately it can happen. Nuts for sharing the story and opening yourself up to the keyboard jury.

markomoose
06-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Happens to the best of us.I have lost a deer and a bear under similar circumstances.Never lost a moose. Bigger target I suppose.Thanks for sharing your experience!We can all learn a little from your story and others.

rocksteady
06-01-2016, 05:54 PM
So riddle me this.... Why do people get nightmares and worry when losing a deer, bear or elk with a bad shot, but don't lose sleep when they hammer a goose, duck or grouse, feathers everywhere and critter never recovered???

Hmmmm?

ytlogger
06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Now, had you been shooting a .375 Ruger...

Spy
06-01-2016, 07:13 PM
happened to me once.... biggest muley ive had an opportunity to get a shot on to date, hitm a bit far back while he was bouncing up the hill across a ravine.

shot felt good, had a decent rest off my backpack, grandpa told me to lead about a foot and squeeze (i was 16), seen him fall on his face then get up and keep bouncing... blood all over the ground where he tumbled could see it on the leaves with the binos. ended up spooking it into a REAL nasty hole and lost it. Was a rude awakening, i was pissed right off about it for a long time. spent 3 seperate days in the hole trying to find tracks, blood, anything...

you live and you learn...

gambling... sometimes you win, sometimes you loose

ive let alot of animals walk because of my incident now, go with your gut.
if it dont feel right your not ready

that first adrenaline rush of the season is a doozy, better to get that over with and let one walk and then be "in the zone" on the next one.

clear headed, breathing, thinking and making that shot count.

And hopefully not shooting at animals that are "bouncing up the hill across a ravine!"

albravo2
06-01-2016, 07:31 PM
So riddle me this.... Why do people get nightmares and worry when losing a deer, bear or elk with a bad shot, but don't lose sleep when they hammer a goose, duck or grouse, feathers everywhere and critter never recovered???

Hmmmm?

I hate the feeling of a duck or grouse not accounted for. Particularly because I've found many that were still very much alive and in need of additional killing.

It is a lousy feeling. I like it when the duck if obviously dead before it lands in the water. Bang, smack.

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Hmmmm?
it is obviously true but WHY is a difficult question
....why do most people value missing dogs more than missing cats.....why do people shy away from killing a mouse but not a mosquito...
we all create hierarchy's of what is ok to kill/observe die and what isn't ok...
even as a kid I would shoot a blackbird with a pellet gun but not a robin...I would happily shoot squirrels but hand feed chipmunks...
I would strip down in single digit temps to swim out to a downed goose but definitely think twice about retrieving a teal that way (wouldn't even shoot at a little teal on a lake with no boat access)....as a kid we used to let all bass go free but break the neck of a perch and throw it to the seagulls/eagles to eat....
why is a tricky question but ultimately it is as a result of the values you hold and how you value life of various living things...this can be a result of upbringing or other learned experiences ....even as a young kid I remember thinking that anything that ate mosquitos was protected so no killing frogs/tadpoles no killing dragonflies or spiders (not to mention if you kill a spider it will rain..heheheh)
also there is the fact that a large animal is a lot of food and survival used to depend on your ability to stock up on food

two-feet
06-02-2016, 07:23 AM

Hmmmm?

a large animal with low fecundity should have more intrinsic value than a more populous small animal, no?

medic11
06-02-2016, 07:40 AM
UPDATE!!!.. I've been back to the area everyday, and i've spend hours searching for sign. No birds circling, no smell in the area of the lost blood trail. Absolutely nothing! I feel that I have given this my all, in trying to locate and find closure to this issue. Last night, a black bear presented itself at dusk. He got a walk! Confidence is kinda down and I'm going to head to the range to shoot and make sure gun is on target. Not going to risk this again. I'm going to get back into the saddle, but this experience will linger for a bit!

boxhitch
06-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Lessons learned at the School of Hard Knocks are the best

caddisguy
06-02-2016, 08:00 AM
UPDATE!!!.. I've been back to the area everyday, and i've spend hours searching for sign. No birds circling, no smell in the area of the lost blood trail. Absolutely nothing! I feel that I have given this my all, in trying to locate and find closure to this issue. Last night, a black bear presented itself at dusk. He got a walk! Confidence is kinda down and I'm going to head to the range to shoot and make sure gun is on target. Not going to risk this again. I'm going to get back into the saddle, but this experience will linger for a bit!

I have had a couple similar experiences to what you went through. One was a deer that I shot at off the side of a stump and some bark gave way. Searched all day and not even a spec of blood to be found. I did find the same deer a week later. It was burried up pretty good and half eaten. I'll never know if I hit it, if another hunter did or if a critter took it down or just some other natural cause. Messed with my headspace a really long time.

This year my partner botched a super close range shot at a bear. Not a spec of blood. Made me think of that deer from years ago. 3 weekends of looking for him, looking for closure, but I kept finding his signature poops. Was he hit? Suffering? We ended up crossing paths again and shot him. No sign of any sort of flesh wound or grazed one. Closure at last! Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.

Your bear was clearly hit. You might have found a chip off the shoulder, some jaw, some rib, etc. From your post it sounded like the bear made it a long way. Despite finding bone, this does not sound like a cripped bear. They are ridiculously tough animals. There is a chance he'll be just fine.

Your reaction to this is that of a conscientious hunter with good ethics and respect for wildlife. We need more people like you in the bush. May both you and the bear have a speedy recovery to this incident.

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
I have had a couple similar experiences to what you went through. One was a deer that I shot at off the side of a stump and some bark gave way. Searched all day and not even a spec of blood to be found. I did find the same deer a week later. It was burried up pretty good and half eaten. I'll never know if I hit it, if another hunter did or if a critter took it down or just some other natural cause. Messed with my headspace a really long time.

This year my partner botched a super close range shot at a bear. Not a spec of blood. Made me think of that deer from years ago. 3 weekends of looking for him, looking for closure, but I kept finding his signature poops. Was he hit? Suffering? We ended up crossing paths again and shot him. No sign of any sort of flesh wound or grazed one. Closure at last! Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.

Your bear was clearly hit. You might have found a chip off the shoulder, some jaw, some rib, etc. From your post it sounded like the bear made it a long way. Despite finding bone, this does not sound like a cripped bear. They are ridiculously tough animals. There is a chance he'll be just fine.

Your reaction to this is that of a conscientious hunter with good ethics and respect for wildlife. We need more people like you in the bush. May both you and the bear have a speedy recovery to this incident.

well said caddis...I second it

Xenomorph
06-02-2016, 08:59 AM
May both you and the bear have a speedy recovery to this incident.

Hear! Hear!

RadHimself
06-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Spy, feel free to go f^ck ur hat... U get a shot at a monster u take it. It was 290 yards, straight across with no wind. i had the time, I was young and i took it. And i hiked my ass off lookin for it. I killed another buck in the exact same draw 2 years ago.

nothing is ideal, u wanna judge for taking a running shot? U probably drive around all day with the heater cranked and dont get your boots dirty

IslandBC
06-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Medic11 , it's the shitty part of hunting. Not a very good feeling and I have had a very similar expearience . I dumped a bear from across a valley at 340yards. He was DOWN . Watched him in my scope after the shot for a bit and he stayed put. Drove to the other side and hiked up to the tree line where I took the shot. Gone. Not a drop of blood to be found (poring rain) . I searched all day till dark, Grid lines the entire slash, grid lined deep into the tree line. Went back the next day and couldn't find him. He's dead somewhere but what can you do? Take the shot and do your due diligence to the best of your ability. Every body on HBC is either honest or the best damn hunters in the world.