PDA

View Full Version : Kids and flyfishing

Beachcomber
05-30-2016, 07:29 PM
I want to take my 9 year old son fly fishing on one of the interior lakes (or anywhere convenient from the LML). He is only just starting to learn to cast so I will need access to a rental boat (don't have one we could both use) to work with him. Any thoughts on where might be a good place to start? B

scoutlt1
05-30-2016, 07:35 PM
My only comment is.....If he fly casts like I do, make sure he wears safety glasses! :)

Beachcomber
05-30-2016, 08:57 PM
My only comment is.....If he fly casts like I do, make sure he wears safety glasses! :)

He does. I wear a welding helmet and blacksmith's apron

Big Lew
05-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Lightning Lakes in Manning Park...pretty easy to catch although they're not big, and they have
boat rentals etc.

Beachcomber
05-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Lightning Lakes in Manning Park...pretty easy to catch although they're not big, and they have
boat rentals etc.

Great. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that one.

Iron Glove
05-30-2016, 09:36 PM
boat rentals etc.

Beat me to it. :smile:
Son started fly fishing when he was 8, Lightning Lake and the Similkameen River in Manning Park were where he honed his skills.
You can catch nice little trout right from the Lake Shore.

Beachcomber
05-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Beat me to it. :smile:
Son started fly fishing when he was 8, Lightning Lake and the Similkameen River in Manning Park were where he honed his skills.
You can catch nice little trout right from the Lake Shore.

Just been on the Manning site checking it out. I think we will cast from shore and troll a fly from the boat. Casting from the boat is going to be a bit ambitious for him right now (and dangerous for all concerned). Would like to walk the Similkameen with a rod too

Mike_R
05-30-2016, 10:50 PM
I also recommend that you find a place where your son can wade and cast rather than a boat. My 10 Y.O. loves to cast a dry fly to cutties in the shallows. Calm weather helps too.

dmaxtech
05-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Can try Salmon Lake Resort too. They have boat rental. Buddy had a monster snap his 6wt rod there last week.

okanagan
05-31-2016, 06:35 AM
http://www.jewellakeresort.com/ is a nice spot as well

Beachcomber
05-31-2016, 07:38 AM
All great suggestions. Thanks. I agree on the wading vs boating approach being preferable too. Think hours in a boat would test his ability to stay in one place more than 5 minutes. Then again it would be nice to have someone row for me.

Glenny
05-31-2016, 07:43 AM
Try your back yard or a grassy park first till he gets the knack of it, then when you get to the water he'll have a leg up.

Iron Glove
05-31-2016, 08:06 AM
Just been on the Manning site checking it out. I think we will cast from shore and troll a fly from the boat. Casting from the boat is going to be a bit ambitious for him right now (and dangerous for all concerned). Would like to walk the Similkameen with a rod too

Newbie fly caster in a canoe = a very cold swim in the Lake. :-o
Just letting a fly line out and trolling should work tho'.
The Lightning Lake Day Use area has nice beaches with no trees or anything to snag on the back swing.
Some nice walks along the River either side of the road that goes from the Lodge to Lightning Lake or simply drive along the Highway and pick a pretty spot. River is still pretty high, another month maybe?
For river you might also consider going a bit further to the Pasatyen River, lots of smaller fish there.
Hopefully no closures like last year.
Closer to the LML try the Sumallo River between Sunshine Valley and Manning for walking and casting, no boats.
Have fun, our "kid" is now mid 30's and fly fishing has been a real "saviour" to him in past as he went through some difficult stages in his life.

caddisguy
05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
It doesn't hurt to get some practice casting at home on the lawn as Glenny mentioned if this has not been done already. Practice regular back/forward casting... 10oclock 2oclock, straight wrist, while letting out more and more line and try hitting a target area. Also practice some roll-casting as this is incredibly valuable for fishing in tight areas where there is not enough room to back cast. Last advice is practicing knot tying as well, learning to quickly tie tapered leader to flyline and repair tappered leaders with tippet. Some practice at home getting it right often saves a lot of time and frusteration on the river when you'll have to do this stuff in the wind or with cold hands.

Some good advice for places to go (Sumallo, Similkameen, etc) ... even the Chilliwack has some openings for rainbows (check regs for when). I find that flyfishing rivers/streams whether from shore or wading, it is easier for a beginner to start getting into fish versus flyfishing still water from a boat, as it is easier to read a river and know where the fish are holding up. They are also generally spooked less easily and are forced to take the fly more quickly than still water.

Happy trout hunting and enjoy! Flyfishing was pretty much my life until I started hunting... now there are scheduling conflicts lol

skibum
05-31-2016, 09:37 AM
Try your back yard or a grassy park first till he gets the knack of it, then when you get to the water he'll have a leg up.

Exactly - tie on a piece of yarn. Then he won't be getting too frustrated on the water

Glasses and a hat are a must (even for seasoned fly fishermen)

ASPEN
05-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Mill lake in abbotsford

Jagermeister
05-31-2016, 11:15 AM
Fly casting is a matter of sequence timing and something that is very hard to teach or learn from a boat or booting it along the bank. Too many variables and things to interfere with the technique until one has a good grasp on the cast.
Find a body of water with a dock or something similar if you're going to teach any newbie fly casting and only use a dry line, too much drag on a wet line for a newbie to haul out on the back cast.
As someone suggested, the lawn is a great place. Just knock the hook off the fly, one does not need a self piercing ear ornament in the lobe of one's ear. Practice, practice, practice.

Beachcomber
05-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Agree with all of the above. Flycasting on the lawn is a great way to get the feel. I have tried a local pond to get the feel of lifting the line off the water but too many people around to be backcasting.

Like the suggestions of places to try too. It is really about being out but actually catching a fish would do wonders for his enthusiasm and my credibility!

Ken Evans
06-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Tunkwa Lake Resort has boat and cabin rentals. The Fly fishing can be pretty good to.

06-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Rivers can be easier to learn on and don't require a boat.
If you pick the right pool and stand in the right spot, Swinging a streamer is pretty simple. You can shorten up your casts to 20' or so and closer and throw a mend or two... a few casts and then step a few down river.
The other nice thing about rivers is the scenery changes,,, it will keep the kid occupied.... if you bring hardware, once the kid gets frustrated he can try his luck with that... which is easier to use.

IMO, and sorry guys.. Trolling a fly is not "Fly fishing" I know I know beat me now but.... towing a fly around the lake, all be it fun is just trolling with a fly.... not fly fishing.
learning to cast and fish is fly fishing. I know your kid is 9.... and there shouldn't be any expectations... but I think a river and a fly rod and a spinning rod makes more sense to me then trolling a fly on a lake renting a boat...

right or wrong, getting your kid out there is the thing to do!

ncurrie
06-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Paradise lake is a Great Lake for kids to fish. Unfornatley fish don't get big but the moment they cast a fly fish bite. Keeps the excited and hooked ( no pun intended). Like others said 10 and 2 with bright yarn and I have even used a target to work on getting line to land where you want it when I was teaching. Keep line short until arm builds up. Only my two cents. Growing up at salmon lake I have caught a lot of fish there and tunkwa but the one that gets kids fired up in beginning is Paradise.

Beachcomber
06-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Thank you. Will add that to the list!

Ferenc
06-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Blue lake resort just past Boston Bar is also one worth checking out... My dad used to take me there when I was a kid.. Think it is still a fly fishing lake lake only.

Iron Glove
06-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Drove the Hope Princeton Weds. on the way to the cabin, Sumallo looking nice ( check regs for opening ) and the Similkameen is low and clear ( no Spring closures ).
Another suggestion if you are near Vancouver is Trout Lake in East Van. Haven't fished there for 50 years but believe it still is fishable and there are / were a number of clearings where one could confidently fly cast.
Son took his first ever fly cast in Burnaby's Central Park when I bought him a fly outfit for his 8th Birthday. Signed both of us for a one day fly fishing school from Ruddicks. Morning was in "school" learning tying, gear, etc. then the afternoon was casting instructions. He's beside me casting away and Kathy Ruddick walks by, watches him and says "Chris, you are doing great, try some roll casting now, I'll show you how." She then walks over to me, looks pretty disgusted at my lack of ability and says "You need to work on the basics." My Son damn near wet himself laughing so much at me. :(