PDA

View Full Version : Free hand stone sharpening- Video Tutorial

North Arm Knives
05-30-2016, 04:02 PM
We all love hunting and being outdoors and one of the most important tools we use in our outdoor adventures is a knife. A knife is most useful and enjoyable to use when it is very sharp. I take great pride in keeping all of my knives sharp and ready for use. I hate to see any knife dull, whether it is a North Arm product or a cutco or a gerber. A dull knife will slow you down while field dressing or doing a simple task around camp, and worst of all it can be quite dangerous. However, sharpening is something a lot of people struggle with. The number one question that people ask us at shows is: How do I sharpen my knives? Sharpening can be easy and satisfying even for a beginner, if they use the right tool and have good instructions to follow. We've got a whole playlist dedicated to sharpening and edge theory on our youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBxZ90bFaMf8cziFj1J_ELmVmOzg_aSxe). Our latest video is all about stone sharpening, in this case water stones, but the same principals work on other stones too. It is an in depth guide covering every step of taking a really dull knife back to being razor sharp, including which grits to use and how to check your sharpening angle. Stone sharpening isn't for everyone because it takes a fair amount of time and practice to get really good at. That said, it is very effective and rewarding once you are getting good results. If you've always wanted to try stone sharpening, or need some guidance to get a razor edge check out our video below! It is a long one but that is because it covers a lot of info!

I hope it is helpful!
-mike

https://youtu.be/oBt9esABa28

Bag1
05-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Nice vid Mike, thanks for that.

KBC
05-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Good video, what kind of stone do you recommend and where can you buy them in the LML?

05-30-2016, 09:07 PM
I love water stones. I use Shapton Ha-no-kuromaku in 320, 5000, 12,000 and Naniwa Chosera in 800, 2000 and 10,000. I strop on balsa and leather, usually with Solingen Stangen Pasta stropping paste. I like the green one, although I have used red and black as well.

A person doesn't need all of that kit though, it is a hobby and more for fun than practicality at some point. I also have a Falkniven DC4 in my pack for touch-ups and repair in the field.

Edit - I should add that once you get a couple of good water stones and learn how to use them, you will be able to sharpen all knives quite easily. I chuckle when I read that so and so steel is so hard that it is very difficult to sharpen. I use my stones on everything from 12C27 to Hitachi Blue, CPM 3V and CPM S110V and stuff in between.

GetLethal
05-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Great video, subbed to the channel, thanks a lot.

North Arm Knives
05-31-2016, 08:25 AM
Glad you guys liked it!

@1899 I totally agree. Stones are by far the most flexible sharpening system and offer the best results, once one is reasonably proficient. You could get by with a single medium grit stone if you really had too but there is definitely something fun about getting a razor edge on a knife :)

ajr5406
05-31-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks for sharing - great vid!

Where do you buy the stones? I have a small double side one that was cheap, but too small for my chefs knives. I like the ones your using in the vid.

North Arm Knives
05-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks for sharing - great vid!

Where do you buy the stones? I have a small double side one that was cheap, but too small for my chefs knives. I like the ones your using in the vid.

We usually get the king brand stones from Lee Valley tools. They sell a bunch of others as well. I haven't looked into it but I'd imagine amazon would also be a good place to look.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072&p=67175 (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072&p=67175)

North Arm Knives
05-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Good video, what kind of stone do you recommend and where can you buy them in the LML? Hey sorry I missed responding to this! See my response to the same question above

05-31-2016, 05:52 PM
I saw the big brown stone was a King stone. I just didn't want to say anything in case you were selling them under your own brand or something. They are an excellent way to test out your interest because they are inexpensive and give good results - and indeed I bought my brother an 800 and 4000 as a starter kit. Two things about them though: they are quite soft and they require, as mentioned, soaking. Naniwa and Shapton stones are "splash and go", which really appeals me.

Two Canadian stores that offer a good variety: Paul's Finest and Kitchen Virtue.

Also, don't neglect stropping. I did, until I was shown the light, and now I always strop.

And a tip - I see that Mike is using his hand to wet the stone. I found that my fingertips were stained by the slurry and also my skin became very rough. I ended up getting a spray bottle from the hardware store and now just give the stone a spritz as necessary.

ajr5406
05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Also, don't neglect stropping. I did, until I was shown the light, and now I always strop.

What is this "stropping" you speak of?

North Arm Knives
05-31-2016, 08:43 PM
I saw the big brown stone was a King stone. I just didn't want to say anything in case you were selling them under your own brand or something. They are an excellent way to test out your interest because they are inexpensive and give good results - and indeed I bought my brother an 800 and 4000 as a starter kit. Two things about them though: they are quite soft and they require, as mentioned, soaking. Naniwa and Shapton stones are "splash and go", which really appeals me.

Two Canadian stores that offer a good variety: Paul's Finest and Kitchen Virtue.

And a tip - I see that Mike is using his hand to wet the stone. I found that my fingertips were stained by the slurry and also my skin became very rough. I ended up getting a spray bottle from the hardware store and now just give the stone a spritz as necessary.

Nope we don't sell them. Just use them cause they're cheap and work well for us! You're right they are soft for sure. They wouldn't work with a push into the stone sharpening method I think. It would probably gouge them badly.

All good tips you have there. I especially like the spray bottle one. May have to try that ;)

05-31-2016, 08:56 PM
What is this "stropping" you speak of?

Have a quick look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRYrZtqcJk

05-31-2016, 09:24 PM
That is a very detailed video I linked, you don't need to be anywhere near that hard core. I have used Enkay green as well - available from Princess Auto. I just used an old leather belt laid flat on a table to start. Just put some Enkay green on your piece of leather and have at it. Or get a piece of balsa wood from a local shop and use that for stropping. That is as simple as it gets.