PDA

View Full Version : River boat sheep hunting?

buckdynasty
05-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Hey you all,

Fairly new to this site. Looking for some of your thoughts:

I've done a few stone hunts to this point (all of them backpack trips from the truck). The opportunity has come up this year to possibly do a mid-August river boat trip up the Kechika.

What's your thoughts about the volume of riverboat traffic these days, and would you say it's still worth it to go on the river instead of hiking in from the highway? I've hunted with riverboat in the past (for elk and moose in the Peace region) and it's seemed quite unproductive and rather discouraging...

Thanks,

JK

spear
05-30-2016, 01:11 PM
The further you get from people the better your chances. If a boat is going to get you into country with little or no pressure, sounds like an easy decision.

eric
05-30-2016, 04:02 PM
I would think up the kechika at that time of year should be okay, most boaters go up that river, for the first part of Sept to get the Elk opener.
Probably find some Sheep hunters up there, but where are ya not going to find some at that time of year, just pick a drainage and wear off some boot leather..

358mag
05-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Great advice Eric
The river is just like the highway , your still going to have to put on your backpack and put a few days effort into getting to good sheep country .
Crappy parts about river hunting , lots of fun busting your way through all the blow down and alder-willows unless you get lucky and find a old horse trail .
Good luck and enjoy the adventure .

ryanb
05-30-2016, 04:31 PM
If you go specifically after sheep and go before gos opens up for the more popular species, ie. Elk, you will find it pretty quiet. A little knowledge goes a long way. It's a long hike from the river to any sheep and it helps to know the mountain you climb is a good one for sheep.