PDA

View Full Version : dead black bears

srupp
05-29-2016, 12:03 AM
Has anyone from this site ever found a dead black bear in the woods...?
One that is not showing signs of being hit by a vehicle.
Not one that has been gutted and hide or just paws cut off, or gallbladder removed.
No bullet holes, nor arrow cuts. .nor cuts, bites ..the sign of a fight with a bigger bear..even a grizzly.

Just a dead bear..far from rds..no obvious trauma..no obvious reasons for its death..ie tree fall on it or fall from tree..over bank or drowning...

With the experience on this site curious on the results.

Cheers and thank you.

Steven Rupp

lip_ripper00
05-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Anyone ever found a sasquatch as stated above?

BlacktailStalker
05-29-2016, 12:28 AM
No. But there is a video of a running grizzly that had a jammer or aneurism and died (while recording)
You could see it slowing down and just fell and started rolling down, stone cold dead.
So it happens but they usually find a sheltered spot and call it quits when their time is up ! I imagine many die during hibernation.

Brew
05-29-2016, 12:29 AM
I found one two years ago pretty fresh. I was doing some single stem logging and found a huge blackbear. No marks on it. I had been dropped off in a helicopter so no one else had been there. Flew in a week later and grabbed the scull. I have it all bleached up now. I think it measures 21". i couldn't even move this bear it was so big. Only thing wrong with it was a broken k9 tooth.

srupp
05-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys, thanks Brew..
Lip_ripper 00..close.....
Cheers
Steven

For the record I have not.

Brew
05-29-2016, 12:39 AM
I'll post a pic of the skull tomorrow. It's impressive

srupp
05-29-2016, 05:33 AM
I certainly would appreciate it.am in Kamloops seeing the orthopedic surgeon who replaced my hip and knee...but have my tablet.
Cheers and thanks
Steven

two-feet
05-29-2016, 06:47 AM
The way they can hole up after being shot is impressive, a big animal can squeeze into a fairly small hole. I imagine they mostly do this when mortally ill?

Coastfisher
05-29-2016, 07:15 AM
I found the remains of one once wasn't that far from the road maybe a km. Didn't take a really good look at the bones it had definitely been there a while. Could have been poached could have been hit by a truck. Hard to say how it died. I also took the skull. Would have been a black bear. What's with the weird question?

EastKootenay
05-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Hi Steven, I Found one that a grizzly killed off an elk carcass. BB made a run for it but GB caught it about 30-50yds from the carcass. BB had canine punctures in the top of the skull.

Jager
05-29-2016, 08:01 AM
I think I've come across 4. Too decomposed to determine COD. I believe 2 may have been shot due to proximity to roads as they were within 100m of timber edge, 1 was deep in the woods, bag of fur and bones, and was possibly hit by a windfall and the last wasa cub, also deep in the woods, and I suspect it was killed by a boar.

like I said, too decomposed to tell but those are my best guesses as to cause

TyTy
05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Not exactly a dead bear, but found this skull in Squamish, not far from a road. 8 years, year round in the woods before coming across bear remains. Know of some co-workers who have found bears killed by wolves, few remains in dens, and even a couple cubs dead in the den.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Found_Bear_Skull.jpg

Brew; do you have a picture of that dead bear? Lucky find with a 21" skull.

Brew
05-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Pictures as promised. 375 hh shell for reference. The scull is close to 22". I just measured. The iPad camera makes it look smaller. 14" long and 7 7/8" wide.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/e4af1cb1c19d9c46bd710e28cf3af437_zpsrhsggsyt.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/b8b0c461efbfe0fed6d64c859fda4d4a_zpsysnjhzew.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/a15a62f043e6b9dcb0a55287bad7a177_zpswxqdmajj.jpg

RiverOtter
05-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Teeth actually look pretty decent for a bear that size, be curious to know how he actually died...

What state was he in when you found him Brew?, as in what's your best guess on how long he was down before you found him?

Hog of a skull regardless, nice find.

BUCKJR
05-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Every year around this time during freshet I see dead bears floating in the Fraser River from Hope to Mission. Various stages of decomposition from fresh to 2 weeks old. I've always assumed they have drowned from swimming the river and getting caught in tough current areas.

Pretty normal to catch a few live ones making their escapes off the river Islands as well.

Brew
05-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Teeth actually look pretty decent for a bear that size, be curious to know how he actually died...

What state was he in when you found him Brew?, as in what's your best guess on how long he was down before you found him?

Hog of a skull regardless, nice find.

he looked real fresh. Just a slight smell of decomp. I bet one day he had been dead. This was in July on the sunshine coast. Didn't have a camera with me but he was huge. I looked all over him for cause of death but there was nothing. When I went back the whole skeloton was there and no broken bones. Pretty mysterious.

Vladimir Poutine
05-29-2016, 06:24 PM
I did, a number of years ago near Stewart Lk., the one due N of Groundbirch. Gall was the only thing taken as near as we could tell.

604ksmith
05-29-2016, 07:25 PM
I found a dead 5 1/2 foot BB north of PG with no visible signs of trauma one weekend when heading into the bush. It was near a road, but after checking it out I couldn't see any wounds or impacts. If it wasn't a natural death, I could only think it was clipped by a car and died later of internal bleeding. I tried checking it's legs and neck and nothing seemed broken, albeit rigamortis had set in.

I drove past the area again on my way out two days later and after slowly approaching due to various birds and other warning signs in the area, I looked from about 50 yards away and there was nothing but a skeleton, a bit of meat in the hips, and some torn up hide. The other bears, wolves, and birds seemed to make quick work of it.

srupp
05-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Thanks Brew..wicked looking skull..yes big..congrads

Steven

untilthelastbeat
05-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Found one cub scull a few hundred yards off a road near Cowichan Lake one time and found all the remains of a really nice bear just off a road near shawnigan Lake years ago but that's it

wideopenthrottle
05-30-2016, 07:30 AM
mentioned before....found a small bear skeleton...wanted to keep the skull but it was too old and soft ..the skull was next to it was a plastic jug of hydraulic oil about 60 feet from a landing on a logging road..the jug's lid seal was still intact and there were bite marks in the plastic jug....they just love to chew plastic so possible it poisoned itself

Gateholio
05-30-2016, 11:10 AM
Found a full skeleton once.

b.c hunter 88
06-03-2016, 06:04 AM
no on bears but my black one was full of 223 rounds in the spine and we found a poached elk gut shot with 223 and antlers cut off.
i did find a dead cow once up north all intac

Norwestalta
06-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Found a small grizz bear that had been dead for a while because it was just hide and bones. I have no idea what killed it but would assume since I found it on a pipeline close to a gas plant that lead poisoning was a likely cause.