PDA

View Full Version : Tawt I taw a puddy tat!

dellis
05-28-2016, 09:10 PM
I did!

Saw this lynx while out looking for bears.......figured I'd share.

Darcy:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/45stomp/IMG_0775sm_zpsoxrky42a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/45stomp/media/IMG_0775sm_zpsoxrky42a.jpg.html)

Big Hoss
05-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Wow cool pic

bcsteve
05-28-2016, 09:39 PM
Twice last year while calling moose, on different days and locations, I had a Linx come to investigate. Caught a movement behind me, he sat down, licked himself and disappeared.

smallfry14
05-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Saw my first one last October out deer hunting, pretty cool animals. Thanks for sharing

ncurrie
05-28-2016, 09:57 PM
Awesome pic thanks for sharing!

ajr5406
05-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Beautiful photo!

RiverOtter
05-29-2016, 08:23 AM
Cool pic. Looks pretty lean in that photo.

dellis
05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Cool pic. Looks pretty lean in that photo.

Without winter fur, there is not too much to a lynx. Big ones weigh about 25# Very slight builds. Made for floating on top of the snow.

Darcy

RiverOtter
05-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Ya, I've trapped a few, along with their cousin the bobcat. Big females hit the 25# mark, toms go a fair ways north of that.

Could just be the pose, but the spine on the one you posted seems quite pronounced, which leads me to think he/she's been having longer wait times between meals....

Quite like your pic. Any special camera or just a cellbphone?

landphil
05-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Great photo, thanks for posting.

dellis
05-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Ya, I've trapped a few, along with their cousin the bobcat. Big females hit the 25# mark, toms go a fair ways north of that.

Could just be the pose, but the spine on the one you posted seems quite pronounced, which leads me to think he/she's been having longer wait times between meals....

Quite like your pic. Any special camera or just a cellbphone?

Have you actually weighed them much heavier than 25#? I hear talk of 60# lynx but never seen proof yet. It would be pretty interesting to see what sort of weights the real big toms could reach.
I have also heard tales(pun intended) of 300# cougars, but aside from the local tavern, (which I avoid like the plague) I've not seen that either:p

Camera is a Cannon powershot sx510 hs 30x, image stabilized zoom. Not an expensive camera, but I like it.

Darcy

Dash
05-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Beautiful photo!

RiverOtter
05-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Have you actually weighed them much heavier than 25#? I hear talk of 60# lynx but never seen proof yet. It would be pretty interesting to see what sort of weights the real big toms could reach.
I have also heard tales(pun intended) of 300# cougars, but aside from the local tavern, (which I avoid like the plague) I've not seen that either:p

Camera is a Cannon powershot sx510 hs 30x, image stabilized zoom. Not an expensive camera, but I like it.

Darcy
Hahahaha, ya, I'm not "guessing". Biggest tom I've scaled was a bobcat at 38#s with a couple others hitting 36#. Lotsa toms crowd 30#s, but much fewer go over. Best winter for cats on my line was 26, but only 2 of which were lynx as my territory basically tops out before prime lynx habitat. Weight wise, for equal'ish age specimens, there isn't a huge gap between lynx and bobs, just based on what I've seen/weighed(Region 8 ). In fairness I haven't trapped a lynx that I would consider upper echelon yet, just healthy mature and nothing over 30.

I'd concur with you on 60# lynx and 300# cougars, as weights and measurements tend to get a smidge "inflated" when the "honour" system is applied, especially with cats and bears..........:lol:

Nice camera, tough to top Canon. I use a G-15 for most of my pixel pursuits.

dellis
05-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the clarification RiverOtter. I believe that the occasional big tom lynx could reach 35# or so. I have heard from people more experienced than me, that bobcats tend to run a bit heavier than lynx......lynx are just much lighter framed, even though they can be large, it's mostly lankiness.

I'm a bit too far north for bobcat, but we have plenty of lynx. Local trapper I know caught around 40 the winter before last.

Darcy:)