PDA

View Full Version : Road hunting school?

MichelD
05-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Jeez, I'm a shitty road hunter.

Is there any place that offers lessons?

I was driving up a logging road yesterday around 7:30 and a big butterball of black fur burst across the road and went down hill. We got out and had a look through the brush and it was about 400 feet straight down. OK fine. Good thing we hadn't had a shot.

Ten minutes later, motoring slowly uphill in 1st, I look up after rounding a bend and BEAR!

I see the telltale glossy black fur of the back end of a bear feeding. I stop and decide to coast downhill out of sight, but for some stupid reason, instead of doing that I only coast part way and stop so I can keep an eye on the bear. Well, he pulled his head out of the bush, spotted the truck and bolted.

I've been in this scenario many times before. I don't know what I was thinking. Or not thinking. Shoulda kept coasting out of sight and then approached on foot. Bear fever I guess, only my 2nd sighting of the season.

I should know better. If he hasn't seen you, keep out of sight. Bear Hunting 101

Funny thing though, tons of bear poop all over the place and the only sightings were at 7:30 and 7:40.

Kept going and in the very spot I shot a bear in 2014 at the same time of day were three big piles of bear droppings. I think the bears like that spot to cross the road. Good greens on both sides of the road at this of the year too. I got the 2014 bear in early June but things are earlier this year.

wideopenthrottle
05-28-2016, 11:21 AM
my suggestion would be, if you have a good spot try parking before you get there and walk to it slowly....

.308SLAYER
05-28-2016, 11:39 AM
As soon as you see a bear turn the truck off its stalking time.....hopefully he hasn't seen you yet. That's if your keen on road hunting that is

ajr5406
05-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Paint your truck camo... Problem solved. Make sure its a high-tech breathable paint though - no point getting the cheap stuff...

Mauser98
05-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Go down to Rexall and pick up a copy of Road Hunter Monthly. Lots of great tips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/Tiagra885/Road_Hunter.jpg

Spy
05-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I would PM Fisher Dude ;-)

Cyrus
05-28-2016, 03:05 PM
are you wearing camo clothing while road hunting? I have heard it makes a difference....lol...My experience is anytime a bear sees a vehicle they are gone. Might be better to walk some cutblocks in the area if there are any.

MichelD
05-28-2016, 03:21 PM
are you wearing camo clothing while road hunting? I have heard it makes a difference....lol...My experience is anytime a bear sees a vehicle they are gone. Might be better to walk some cutblocks in the area if there are any.

I had camo pants on, but no shirt. That was obviously the problem. If I had a camo shirt on it would have thought I was a bush in the bright red truck

Like I said, its head was in a bush and it didn't see the truck at first so I was going to coast downhill out of sight and then stalk uphill to try to get a chance at it, but I wasn't thinking clearly and did not continue all the way out of sight.

The lesson is: After 40 years of bear hunting you can still get over excited and make a bone-headed move.

Iron Glove
05-28-2016, 03:33 PM

My last truck had camo seat covers so if I wore my camo while driving it the critters couldn't see a driver.
They'd figure it's a driverless truck, no problems so I could get real close, roll down the window and "bang."

nazarow
05-28-2016, 04:12 PM
My last truck had camo seat covers so if I wore my camo while driving it the critters couldn't see a driver.
They'd figure it's a driverless truck, no problems so I could get real close, roll down the window and "bang."

Hand crank windows are quieter than power windows as well :roll::wink:

Busterpayton54
05-28-2016, 05:32 PM
Imo animals are getting smart enough to know if the vehicle keeps going past the coast is clear, they will resume doing what they were doing very shortly. If they notice you stop, they won't come back out.

Iron Glove
05-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Hand crank windows are quieter than power windows as well :roll::wink:

Too hard to steer, hold onto a beer, text and point the rifle out the window all at once while cranking windows.
One touch power windows for me. :wink:

MRP
05-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Works best with some one to drive u. See a bear driver slows down u step out sit on the shoulder of the road or stand at the tree line. Driver keeps going for a km or two and parks come backs in 20mins or so. Found that 1 out of 5ish bears come back for a look.

Rember a second look always gets u in to trouble. Thats how u got the new car, boat, gun, wife,,,,,divorced!

two-feet
05-28-2016, 06:54 PM
I will give you a PhD in road hunting: you drive, supply endless beer, and i will gush wisdom for hours on end!

358mag
05-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Go down to Rexall and pick up a copy of Road Hunter Monthly. Lots of great tips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/Tiagra885/Road_Hunter.jpg
Great looking cowboy hat Pat :wink::wink:

180grainer
05-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Jeez, I'm a shitty road hunter.

Is there any place that offers lessons?

I was driving up a logging road yesterday around 7:30 and a big butterball of black fur burst across the road and went down hill. We got out and had a look through the brush and it was about 400 feet straight down. OK fine. Good thing we hadn't had a shot.

Ten minutes later, motoring slowly uphill in 1st, I look up after rounding a bend and BEAR!

I see the telltale glossy black fur of the back end of a bear feeding. I stop and decide to coast downhill out of sight, but for some stupid reason, instead of doing that I only coast part way and stop so I can keep an eye on the bear. Well, he pulled his head out of the bush, spotted the truck and bolted.

I've been in this scenario many times before. I don't know what I was thinking. Or not thinking. Shoulda kept coasting out of sight and then approached on foot. Bear fever I guess, only my 2nd sighting of the season.

I should know better. If he hasn't seen you, keep out of sight. Bear Hunting 101

Funny thing though, tons of bear poop all over the place and the only sightings were at 7:30 and 7:40.

Kept going and in the very spot I shot a bear in 2014 at the same time of day were three big piles of bear droppings. I think the bears like that spot to cross the road. Good greens on both sides of the road at this of the year too. I got the 2014 bear in early June but things are earlier this year.
I need more information. What kind of beer are you drinking while you're doing this?......:)

emerson
05-28-2016, 08:26 PM
I wear camo while road hunting, but it is a fashion choice class identifier (redneck) not a hunting accessory.

wos
05-29-2016, 09:02 AM
I find game will spook as soon as they spot a buck mark sticker on the back window. remove it and they will think your a harmless tree planter.

caddisguy
05-29-2016, 09:18 AM
No advice to give. I can't even get a grouse to hang around for me to stop, put it in park, step out, load gun, aim, shoot. My success ratio is probably 1 out of 20.

That said, I always used to use a 22 and for this year I bought a shotgun. Now I can skip the aiming part to a degree which might help :D

scoutlt1
05-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Maybe try this? :)

http://geekologie.com/2012/07/for-sale-black-knight-hummer-h2-with-ove.php

Weatherby Fan
05-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Road hunting tips,
2015 F350 diesel....there quiet as a gas truck and ride like dream, heated and air conditioned seats a must !
Window mount for the spotter !
Satelite Radio so you don't miss any Red Wings vs Canucks games
Minimum 26 inch barrel so muzzle blast is outside passenger window when shooting off hand !
ATC in back of truck for immediate retrieval of downed game.
Bonus if you can have Backroads Mapbook installed on truck GPS unit for quick position fix when lost !
Please feel free to PM myself or FD for further tips and tricks.....happy hunting
WF

widger
05-29-2016, 04:35 PM
I have a friend that only hunts in his wife's minivan as when he gets tired he just lays down in the back seat and sleeps and he swears the animals do not consider this vehicle threatening in any way and will stand in the open while he gets set up. This vehicle also has the benefit of drop down DVD players in two locations and a hidden cooler for beverages beneath the seats. Why suffer and be uncomfortable?

Ferenc
05-29-2016, 04:41 PM
I would PM Fisher Dude ;-)

Have you seen his whitetail... They don't get that big hangin out by any roads. : )

Dannybuoy
05-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Have you seen his whitetail... They don't get that big hangin out by any roads. : )
During the rut in the Okanagan they do ....

Ferenc
05-29-2016, 06:25 PM
During the rut in the Okanagan they do ....
Looks like you got a gooder too..... Nice !!!!!