PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Kestrel 48L Hiking/Hunting Pack

bganz
05-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Does anyone use the Osprey Kestrel 48L Hiking backpack? Any suggestions on using hiking packs for hunting?

Will be using it for single (maybe 2 nights) overnight hikes/hunts at max for now.

Salix
05-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Just my thoughts. A hiking pack will do ok for hunting but will not hold up and last as long as a higher quality hunting pack will over the long term. The materials are light weight and thin and given the abuse I put on my pack hunting they will wear and rip. You get what you pay for when it comes to hunting packs, the good ones cost lots but should last you years if taken care of. There are lots of options for packs on the market. Hunting seems to be harder on gear than just going out for a hike, at least the way I hunt.
Another thing to consider is the size of your pack for gear and game if you are successful. Not sure what you are planning to be hunting but a 45l pack is on the smaller size for gear and game. Probably ok for a couple of days gear but could be limiting if you need to add an animal or part of an animal to it. If hunting deer or larger game you need to think about how you will carry out game, in the pack or tied to it. If in the pack, can you get quarters into the opening of the pack.
I looked at lots of options including Ospray packs when I bought. I started out with an llbean hunter carry-all with a medium pack or large dry bag in it,which worked ok. Then upgraded to a kifaru EMR 2 which is night and day better, but was costly. Mystery ranch, stone glacier, exo, kifaru are all good options. Do some research on these brands and save up and you won't regret it.
J

bganz
05-28-2016, 09:28 AM
Amazing, thanks! I'm planning to use to for elk and deer. I've definitely considered hunting packs, but thought they were very expensive and going with more of a hiking pack I could save some money. Packing out the animal was a concern for sure though and, to be honest, I wasn't sure how it out with the hiking bag. What size of hunting pack would you recommend for an elk or deer hunt that would be at max a couple of nights?

smallfry14
05-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Amazing, thanks! I'm planning to use to for elk and deer. I've definitely considered hunting packs, but thought they were very expensive and going with more of a hiking pack I could save some money. Packing out the animal was a concern for sure though and, to be honest, I wasn't sure how it out with the hiking bag. What size of hunting pack would you recommend for an elk or deer hunt that would be at max a couple of nights?

imo that depends if you are going solo or with a partner that can take half, as well as how far away from the truck you are. If you have a partner or you're close enough to the truck to make 2 trips you could probably go a bit smaller. I plan on doing a couple solo hunts for deer pretty far back off the roads, so 2 trips isn't really an option. So that means I'll have to pack out a whole de-boned deer with the head (and maybe cape) all in one shot. With my 70L pack I know I'll need to tie the sleeping bag and pad onto the outside. I wouldn't go much smaller than 70L without having a partner to haul some of the animal out.

boxhitch
05-28-2016, 04:33 PM
There is far more hard-core back packing/climbing/mountaineering done each year than there ever will be by hunters. 'Hunting packs' is nothing more than a sales gimmick.
The most abuse a hunting pack will take is from meat and blood, all the fancy pockets and camo won't help a bit.
My 70 l. Tatonka has had goats,sheep,and gbear in it and holds up fine.

bganz, only you can tell if the 48 l. will carry your kit, travelling light I bet it will.
Plan on a successful hunt , and then come up with a plan for how you will deal with getting everything out. You will have a whole lot more days with a light mt pack tahn you will with a heavy meat load, plan accordingly.
Close to the road , just make more trips.

AgSilver
05-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Kuiu has a 25% off sale this weekend. Maybe they have something that suits.

bganz
05-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Pretty killer deal on the KUIU Ultra 6000. But even with the massive sale on it, and the gun sling and side pocket, but no rain cover The cost with free shipping (246US) and +duty +currency exchange new order total = $370CAD for a backpack.. Ouch.

AgSilver
05-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Side pocket? You mean the hip belt pouches? Don't forget the hydration bladder pouch.

If you picked it up in Blaine or the like and brought it back (don't know where you are), you almost certainly wouldn't have to pay duty and probably not even tax...(maybe).

Not sure if that's the kinda pack you're looking for. Pretty big and pretty lightweight so has some quality complaints (sounds like some guys want it to weigh nothing but also made of steel, if I interpret the things I've read properly). I personally went with the Icon Pro awhile ago but haven't had a chance to put it to use yet other than as luggage on a car trip.

bganz
05-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Yep, hip belt pouches* my bad. The quality issues is something I've read by a few, but most of the reviews I found seem like everyone's happy? I also wonder how much their warranty really covers. Seems a little vague.

The Icon Pro looks like an amazing bag, but the cost is just too high for me. I'll probably just keep saving and wait until I have a bit better idea what I am looking for and saved a few more pennies. Do you think trying to find a used bag is a good idea, or do they wear out and it's better to just buy new.

GetLethal
05-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Imo $370 CAD to your door for a good quality pack is a good deal. If you look at an exo or kifaru for comparison they're $500 +US. Of course they are ultralight and have great reputations but still.

If I were you i'd have a few models in mind and check the buy/sells or put out a wanted ad. If youre ontop of it you can definitely find some great deals on used gear in good shape.

I run a eberlestock team elk, its alright but knowing what I know now I wouldve gone with a frame and pack rather than a singular unit.

bganz
05-29-2016, 01:34 PM
I wouldve gone with a frame and pack rather than a singular unit.

Right? It seems like a great concept and a fantastic way to pack your animal out!

But ya I agree again, pretty hard to beat that deal. I'm tempted to just go for it. Anyone out there with the Ultra 6000, and have any thoughts? Quality, durability, and using for single day to 2 day hikes?

thanks for all the input and advice everyone! I greatly appreciate it!

AgSilver
05-29-2016, 03:21 PM
It'll probably sell out, so decide soon. I think it ultimately comes down to how hard you hunt and if the ultralight will be sufficient to meet those needs. Capacity wise, that should be more than enough for a couple of days.

And yes, the Icon Pro is pricey, but I got it on sale and paid about $425 US for an 1850 full kit and a 5200 bag only do that I have daypack and multi day sizes that share a frame. Two packs in one for a good price. But no, not cheap.

AgSilver
05-29-2016, 03:21 PM
I probably would have got the Ultra if the additional sale had been on. Maybe. Maybe not.

GetLethal
05-30-2016, 05:56 AM
A cheap option albeit probably lower quality than the kuiu, the slumberjack Bounty 4500, it has a lot of nice features and at a great price 179.99 US on the sjk site, plus 20% off and free shipping with the promo SJKSUMMER

AgSilver
05-31-2016, 01:52 AM
$156 US shipped to Blaine? That's a pretty good deal. About 150g more than the Icon Pro 5200 and a bit smaller with fewer features, but also several hundred less.

Could be a great start. Good option, GL!