PDA

View Full Version : MassNTrash: The Final Pursuit

dana
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
There were some asking that I post up the story that was in the May/June issue of Muley Crazy Magazine. Here it is:

Mass ‘N Trash: The Final Pursuit

A thick blanket of fog loomed over our intended hunting area. It was the last day of the season and I, along with Matt and Steve Brown, had been standing on a remote logging road for over two hours drinking coffee and reminiscing about the recent hunts. What a Fall it had been! From burning down the wall tent to flipping the canoe over, we’d certainly had our share of adventures. Of course, there were plenty of big buck encounters as well, many ending with several monsters outsmarting us and escaping out the backdoor. But the most memorable and haunting of all, was a buck that I had name “MassNTrash”.

I had watched and filmed “MnT” for six years and had spent several Spring seasons scouring the public land that he called home in pursuit of his sheds. Finally, like a dream come true, I was able to find three sets of his antlers in April of 2006.

For the past four years, MnT was my number one target during hunting season. But he always seemed to make his appearance three weeks too late. However, this past November, MnT finally decided to show himself for the first time during our annual muley camp. It happened one day while I was still-hunting my way through a dense stand of redwood cedar. Suddenly, I saw a heavy buck chasing a doe a mere forty yards above me. I caught only slight glimpses of a massive antler but I instantly knew that it was MnT. I scrambled until I found a tight shooting lane before raising my rifle. Seconds later, I watched the doe cross and then MnT stepped in. I squeezed the trigger but like a ghost, he disappeared. When I raced up to where he had been standing, I found blood, just not a lot of it. We tracked him for over three hours and at one point, Matt had MnT dead to rights, but like a hunter’s worst nightmare, his safety seized.

After a gut-wrenching night with no sleep, I found MnT’s unique track the next morning. There was still the odd speck of blood and the place was ripped to shreds like a barn yard. It was obvious that he had spent the night fighting and chasing does every which way but after a fruitless search, my holidays ended and I had no choice but to go back to work. The next weekend, Steve jumped MnT from his bed but yet again, no shot opportunity was provided through the thick tangle of timber. This buck had eluded us for years and he definitely had no problem in making fools out of us again this year.

So here we were, the last day of the season, staring up at a mountain that was shrouded in fog. Matt kept assuring me that it was going to lift but I was growing impatient. Suddenly, as if on cue, the fog rolled back giving us the opportunity to glass. I had just gotten settled in behind the binos when Matt piped up, “I’ve got a buck…..and I think it’s MassNTrash!”

I burst out laughing, “Yeah right, tell us another one!” Matt focused his spotter on the buck and replied by saying, “No….seriously, I’ve got MassNTrash!” I quickly spun my spotter over and couldn’t believe my eyes – it was indeed MassNTrash! Without wasting a second, we formulated a plan of attack but when I reached into the truck I was absolutely shocked to discover…….AUUUGGGHHH, NO RIFLE!! Out of sheer exhaustion, I had forgotten my rifle at home! My head was spinning and I simply could not believe that I could be so stupid. Without hesitation, Matt said that we should have someone in the bottom keeping an eye on the buck and giving hand signals, and although he had a tag in his pocket and we had a big buck spotted, Matt offered me his rifle. I am truly lucky to have such a great friend.

Before I knew it, I found myself clawing up the slope. I was determined that this was going to be the last chapter in the MassNTrash saga. I quickly gained the elevation I needed and I soon began working my way over to the ridge on which I had last seen MnT. Heavily laden branches began to drop snow like bombs from the sky, masking the sound of my approach. It was slow and steady from that point on – four or five steps….wait, a few more steps….wait. A new blanket of fog had rolled in and visibility was once again, limited. Throughout the stalk, I found myself surrounded by deer and at times, I was less than ten yards from several different bucks. However, I was determined in my goal and moving painfully slow, I was able to work my way around each deer. Inside, I knew that at any moment they could spook and my hunt would be over.

Finally, as I came up to a small bench, the fog lifted slightly. It was the break I needed as I was able to glass back down to Matt on the other side of the valley. Before the fog was able to roll back in, Matt signaled that I should go southward, so I ventured that direction.

A few moments later, I peeked over the break and was instantly busted by a doe! With my worst fear realized, she bounded away and took a bunch of other deer with her. I had no other choice but to run flat out to an opening that was ahead of me. When I got there, I was just in time to see the deer cross – doe, doe, doe, doe……no buck! Where was MnT? I started down the steep slope and was able to glass back to Matt again. He was wildly flailing his arms, indicating that I should go straight back up. What? I had just come from there! But heck, I figured he must know where MnT was so I turned around and started climbing again.

Suddenly, exploding out of nowhere, there he was! In an instant, I raised the rifle but I had no clear shot. Tree after tree after tree was in the way as he bounded straight up the mountainside. I could see that he was headed for a stand of conifers and I had the sinking feeling that he was slipping through my fingertips. Then, like an answer to a prayer, he paused. Without even thinking, I squeezed the trigger and he disappeared from sight!

I began racing straight up the steep slope after him, my heart and my lungs feeling like they were going to jump out of my chest. In a desperate attempt to catch my breath, I stopped to rest but my mind was reeling and the sound of my heart was pounding in my ears. Through all of the adrenaline, I suddenly swore that I could hear the sound of crunching snow. Maybe MnT had looped around and was coming back towards me? I controlled my breathing and listened intently until I realized that the sound was actually coming from underneath me. I was standing on a bear den! The noise was the bear popping his teeth! Frantically, I looked down, kicked away some snow, and uncovered a snout and a pair of angry eyes. Deciding not to stick around, I jumped to the side and continued upward after MnT’s tracks.

When I finally got up to where MassNTrash had been standing, I found a speck of blood. I thought that maybe he had just opened up his old wound in the crusty snow, as the blood was very similar to what I had seen over three weeks prior. His tracks zig-zagged straight up the mountain and I began to wonder……did I miss? The fact that he was climbing hard sure made me think so and I began giving myself hell for blowing yet another opportunity. However, I decided that since it was the last day of the season, I was going to stay on his tracks until dark if I had to.

For more than half an hour, I ran straight up the steep slope, post-holing it through knee deep snow. Finally, the zigs and the zags started to get longer with less elevation being gained and there was a lot more blood. Had I hit him? A glimmer of hope appeared as I began to think that maybe I had. A few moments later, I found myself nearing the top of the mountain and when I benched out, I saw him! He was standing broadside and he looked sick. Heaving hard from the climb, I grabbed a birch tree as a rest, held steady, and dropped him.

Physically and emotionally drained, it took me several minutes to work my way up to him. Finally standing over the buck that had haunted my dreams for so many years, I raised his head out of the snow and at last, wrapped my hands around his beautiful, massive antlers. The pursuit was now over, and what a great pursuit it had been.

Hank Hunter
06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Awesome story and congrats . It must have felt so unreal after your long history with this buck

scoot
06-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Most excellent story Steve. I must say it gets me excited just hearing about this buck over the past few seasons. The suspense! Again congrats on the harvest of a legend.
I figure a picture has to go with this one.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/scadamso/Hunting/MNT10.jpg

tracker
06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Great story to read !!!
Realy liked the bear under the feet part.

But what the fu@#%k was matt thinking?????:confused:Giving his gun up when a booney was right in front of him.Sorry but the" too bad too sad" comment would of come out for me .:mrgreen::mrgreen: You do have a good friend there, congrats on having good hunting buddies:-D

steepNdeep
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Right on Dana! Great story and end to the MnT saga!! (Although you could have picked a better mag... ;) )

Untouchable
06-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Great read Dana, thanks again for letting us read the story. It wont soon be forgotten.

gameslayer
06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Great Story Dana, I can see who you made it into a magazine. That bear den was a real kicker. :-D

dana
06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Here's some pics to go with the story.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/08630024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/MNT10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mar13031a.jpg

dana
06-10-2007, 09:40 PM
2004-2005 Sheds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mar13016a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mar13014a.jpg

2005-2006 Sheds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mar13019a.jpg

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
What was his greatest score, I would presume on 04/05?

BlacktailStalker
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Sure is nice to have such a lengthy pursuit on one buck. To even see a good caliber buck like that and shoot it is accomplishment enough, let alone to be able to be able to "know" him personally, pound his home area for sheds, see him grow season after season, the wondering of if he would winter kill, be killed, etc etc and finally connecting on a make it or break it day, being the last day. Congrats once again.

Now will you be hunting the same area? It would be interesting to me to see his genetics in other bucks as he would have obviously been doing a lot of the breeding in the area...

The two bow bucks we took last year were a 5-6 year old blacktail and a 3-4 year old and the younger was the offspring of the older. They were shot in the exact same 20 yard area.

dana
06-10-2007, 10:32 PM
aguacher,
In 04/05 he grossed 225. In 05/06 he dropped considerably to 205 gross. He actually put on a lot of mass his final year and dropped tine length. He scores 202. Age had really caught up with him. I'm quite certain he was 9 years old when I killed him.

Elkhound
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks for posting Dana.....glad I got to read it. well done again.

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
real cool to follow his life line before taking him. a unique opportunity

you follow many other bucks youve taken outta your muley maze?

Will
09-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Missed this one somehow ???
Good Read :cool:

Phil
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Great story, wicked hunt. Well done!!!

Th0r
09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Another outstanding story.Very cool. Thanks.

Jelvis
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Here's a story for all us mule deer hunters to enjoy about mass and trash.
Someone wants to know the story
Jel .. nasty narly mass ..

hunterlaura
12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
awesome story - and Matt, you've got a good heart! Wish I could still be hunting with you and Steve!

oldschoolguy
12-16-2010, 03:06 PM
JELVIS PuhLEASE STOP BUMPING UP OLD THREADS LIKE THIS. WTF????? THIS IS THREE YEARS OLD. someone should ban him

Caveman
12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
JELVIS PuhLEASE STOP BUMPING UP OLD THREADS LIKE THIS. WTF????? THIS IS THREE YEARS OLD. someone should ban him

Ditto!!!!!!!!!

Jelvis
12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
How old are you? lmao probably in your late fifties by the sound of it you ole fart. lol.
Jel .. 3 years isn't that old lol .. neither is fifty 8 if your a tree .. lol

dino
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I cant believe that you guys were driving decided to stop and glass, see your buck and go after him. The amount of land I cover every year by foot going way deeper than any other normal person wood hike just to see and shoot little guys is making me re evaluate my style of hunting. I never read this story until today. I think there was some luck involved here. awesome deer Dana and I'm just kidding about changing my style. I know you guys work hard for your animals.

oldschoolguy
12-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm 20 thank you very much. I hate it when you bump threads from the 80's. If you could just limit it to the last year or so, I'd be much obliged. As well, you could limit it to 15 random bumps per thread

dino
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm 20 thank you very much. I hate it when you bump threads from the 80's. If you could just limit it to the last year or so, I'd be much obliged. As well, you could limit it to 15 random bumps per thread

how old school can you be your only 20!

Jelvis
12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
This is about Mass and Trash dana's awesome buck not about school or guys lol, please this thread is too good to ruin with too much off the message.
Jel .. ( Mass n Trash ) Polished to the nines .. a masterpiece BC mule buck ..
try to focus on the subject at hand which is about the monster buck and the last chance saloon.

oldschoolguy
12-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm oooooooooold schooooooool. I rule in my roost give a boost I'm Jelly mocking, see if we can get this thread a locking, because he's a putz, he must got no nutz.
OSG.......(the snowman) PBAJ(peanut butter and jellllllllllly)

deer nut
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm glad this post was resurrected 'cuz I missed it the first go-round!! Awesome buck.
Someday......

Gilmore
12-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Of course there's always the option to NOT click on or read the thread. Seems like a fairly simple concept to me, don't like...don't read. Might be over your 20 year old head though.

paw325
12-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Excellent story and buck Dana....

Makes my legs and lungs burn reading it.

Spy
12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Anyway we can get the photo's up again great story.It was a good a thread, worthy of a bump!:wink:
:-DThanks Jellvis:mrgreen:

dana
12-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Pics are up currently in 2 other threads. The genetics thread and the recent Jelvis resurrected so you want to kill a monster muley thread.

Buckmeister
12-18-2010, 01:20 AM

I for one am glad Jelvis has bumped this thread. MassNTrash has gained legendary status on this site and deserves a revisit every now and then.