PDA

View Full Version : fish scales in sand

walks with deer
05-26-2016, 11:02 PM
Was excaving on Westside today in kamloops and noticed it was loaded in old fish scales do you think before diking and rip rap this was a massive spawning ground for my guess sockeye.

Jagermeister
05-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Shssssssssss.

604Stalker
05-27-2016, 05:26 AM
Naw.. People wouldn't hurt a massive fish population like that :rolleyes:

pnbrock
05-27-2016, 06:48 AM
maybe dumping ground for un sold food fish.

wideopenthrottle
05-27-2016, 07:26 AM
maybe a spot in the current/flow/wind where dead spawners would end up en masse

donny.brooke
05-27-2016, 08:26 AM
River chicken sacred burial grounds. Probably gunna get shut down now.

Big Lew
05-27-2016, 08:54 AM
maybe a spot in the current/flow/wind where dead spawners would end up en masse

Intelligent assumption sir! I've seen similar scenarios.

wideopenthrottle
05-27-2016, 09:10 AM
in very hot, low water years on Lake of the Woods where I grew up as a kid we would get huge die offs of a coarse fish called tullibee ( aka cisco)..in some of the bays that were facing the prevailing winds they would be knee deep on the shorelines...Iirc it was due to overcrowding consuming all the oxygen in the few remaining deep holes where cool water was still available..not a very nice smell for weeks and weeks..

SPEYMAN
05-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Salmon spawn in rocky areas. Larger rocks for larger fish. Sand would suffocate the eggs. May be an area where carcasses settled after spawn.

justachip
05-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Are you guys talking about the mica flakes in the sand bars?

.264winmag
05-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't scales be broken down and undistinguishable?
I like that word, makes me feel smrt.

srupp
05-29-2016, 12:20 AM
Hmmm perhaps 10 years ago a loaded tractor trailer freezer unit was headed from Bella Coma to alberta as part of the historical ceremonial native cash sales.100years ago before the chilcotin highway was in place they always drove reefer fridge units with thousands of pounds of salmon to Alberta and parts of Sask....its in their oral history..

Anyway this crash tore the trailer asunder...and fish carcases were strewn about..

Some heavy machinery dug a big hole and the fish were buried..no native marker has yet to be place for this significant cash loss..

But in 100years when Alexis creek..or Stone reserve is the new capital of BC and they dig out the sheep creek bridge for a newer better bigger bridge more befitting and prestigious for their area some 20 year old newbie is going to discover a shit load of salmon bones and bodies high high above the Fraser riverand a new legend of the SACRED FLYING SALMON made by the Creator just for the needs of the locals .
Thats how these things start...

Fred Shmidtl