PDA

View Full Version : Couple sheep prep q's

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Just getting revved up for sheep season. Been doing cardio, but want to incorporate some actual backpacking into practice. I have yet to choose an external pack for the hunt, and know (and I will) practice with one before i go. Two questions though:

Will practicing weights (starting with 60lbs) with an internal frame pack still be relevant? Ive never used an external, and as such do not know how they fit, if at all, differently than an internal.

Boots: I have some real comfy, waterproof buggers that are tough as hell - but they ain't no sheep boot! Can anyone throw out some recommendations for a ankle supportive, and waterproof boot?

I used to use some Asolos, but after a couple years they were kaput.

Thanks in advance!

Kirby
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes the pack is the same, either way its weight on your back, and working the legs.

Secondly Vibergs. Only boot I use, love them never had a problem with them. They changed their soles a couple of years ago but the last I heard they had gone back to the original soles. My last pair of Full leathers lasted 5 or 6 years on fires, hunting, concret, logging, and other general bush work. I could average 6 months out of other boots.

Kirby

Nimrod
06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
I used to wear meindl , great boots but they wouldn't last, I have a pair of La Sportiva Makalu don't think they make them anymore but I love them. they're not goretex, I have a pair of goretex socks that work great if the leather soaks through.
these type of boots are great on rock , climbed the Kain route on Bugaboo spire with them leading to 5.7... edging on a sheep slope is no problem.
Mountaineer boot are not as comfy but they have loads of ankle support for packing out heavy loads.
the Nepal EVO GTX would last you a long long time.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743 02733951&bmUID=1181517954111

If I were to get a new boot I would get the Scarpa Charmoz GTX because their light.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 8799&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733951&bmUID=1181517954184

Rubicon500
06-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I for one wouldnt be practicing with 60 pounds. It may seem light but the old knees can only take so much abuse save them for the actual hunt. I practice with 35-40 pounds, its plenty. For boots id go with a set of Lowa Sheep Hunter GTX or the Hanwag Alaskans. Both are awesome boots.

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Knees arent that old yet, im only 22, but I get your point. 60 feels light, but ive only worn it for maybe an hour at a time so far. Gunna start this weekend with a few hours at a time, then work up to full day hikes. Besides my day in and day out hikes though, pack weight should be well under 30 pounds.

bruin
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I agree about the weight I like to go with 40 pounds on the steep slopes. The knees feel good now but i want to get lots of sheep hunts outta them yet. I am working on my first pair of Meindles now and they seem to be doing good. I like biking lots for training as well, easy on joints and good cardio.

David Heitsman
06-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Meindles only for me. On my third pair now.

As to a pack, I use a Wilderness Wanderer, have never used an internal frame style.
My only complaint with the WW is that it is noisy. It's always squeaking
and ratcheting in my ear. My partners don't hear it so it can't be that loud but it makes noise with every step. Loaded or empty.

That being said, I think they are virtually indestructable, BC made as well.

Orangethunder
06-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I would advise you lighten up from 60lbs as well. Training is one thing, blowing out a knee (regardless of age) will end your season. As for boots I have used a bunch Meindls, Kayland and a few others. I have always found a mountaineering boot worked better with heavy loads on steep ground. I have also heard many good things about gore tex socks. I would go with both a good waterproof boot and some gore tex socks, they could make your trip that much more enjoyable.

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks again

Ill tone down the weight for practice, but if I am forced to pack 100-120lbs out, wouldn't simulating this with a more accurate weight better prepare my legs/back for it?

Krico
06-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks again

Ill tone down the weight for practice, but if I am forced to pack 100-120lbs out, wouldn't simulating this with a more accurate weight better prepare my legs/back for it?

There is such a thing as over-training. Get your legs and lungs in shape, but don't wear out the knees and ankles in the process. Yes you are young, but looking after things now will make them last a lot longer-and you'll be thankful in a couple decades.

06-11-2007, 07:01 AM

If you are lucky enough to be packing that kind of wt. out and have done the fitness program your talking about, the walk out won't be that big of an issue. We had the good fortune last year on our sheep hunt to both come out fully loaded up and it was just a matter of taking our time, and being careful..........plus it helped that there was WAY more downhill on the hike out. :)
Boots........another vote for Vibergs, especially if you have wide feet.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Starting at 60 lbs may not be something you want to do. If you haven't done pack training before maybe consider starting @ 35-40 lbs and work up.
Personally, when I first started pack training in 2000, I started off at around 35-40 lbs and worked my way up to as high as I could( 70-75 lbs). When you body feels comfortable with the weight and your times start to drop, it's time to move up in weight. Starting off heavy may result in injury.
Depending on how many times I hit the slopes, I usually move up 5 or 10 lbs at a time every 10 days to 2weeks.

If your body starts to complain, back off in your training. It's important to listen to your body. I've hiked Mt Boucherie with a pack well over 300 times since 2000. I'm turning 40 this year and the knees are still strong. I don't hike as often as I used to as I've found my body responds more quickly to training. I can start at 50 lbs without any problems and build from there.
I believe in working past your final pack weight for your trip as a hunting trip is not the place to discover your body or your pack is not up to the challenge. Putting on your pack when you get off the plane or when you step out of your truck and have it feel light gives you the confidence that you can go anywhere and do anything that the next two weeks may throw at you8)!

If you're looking for someone to train with give me a jingle. I could some youth to push me!:-D

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Just getting revved up for sheep season. Been doing cardio, but want to incorporate some actual backpacking into practice. I have yet to choose an external pack for the hunt, and know (and I will) practice with one before i go. Two questions though:

Hopefully you're not leaving August 1st because if you are I would say that you are a little behind the 8 ball with your training! Cardio helps but doesn't do much for you once you put that heavy pack on as it changes the entire dynamics of everything... You are young but it's still going to hurt.

My first year I thought I would get away with about 4 or 5 months of biking up hills everyday... Ha! It helped but that hunt was painful and I learned a good lesson.

This year I started in January and have been hiking 1.5 miles everyday up and down a local hill... I started with about 40lbs and now am up to about 65lbs. My actual pack weight for the trip will be around 55lb. Once a week we try and do Mt. Finlayson which is about 1400 feet... 1 mile up and 1 mile down... That's a good workout.

For me there is only one way to get into shape for a sheep hunt... That's by simulating the real thing over and over and over.... It's getting much easier on the knees now... 13 years playing in the forwards in Rugby has taken it's toll.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Again, thanks guys. I am leaving around August 20th. more exerise can never hurt, but I am a relatively fit guy. I know thats no excuse and I fully expect that things wont be easy.

Has anyone done the west coast trail, and can relate sheep hunting to that? Obviously there is more incline involved with sheep, but besides that...

SSS - I may do that! Partners arent easy to come by, which side of the lake do you reside on?

Cheers

bigwhiteys
06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
If you're leaving on the 20th of August you better start busting your ass with that pack on! Being "Fit" and Being in "Sheep Shape" are two different things as I have learned. Just take a bunch of Ibuprofen... you'll be good then.

Don't get me wrong... It's great that you're young and fit... But as mentioned earlier throw that pack on and you've changed the entire dynamics of your body and how you move...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

srupp
06-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Agaucher..Im 50 and very overweight..I also have a bad knee..I have so far lost 50 pounds for this Spatsizi hunt (BOTH Tim and I drew tags) I have a Landice treadmill much softer on the knees for my cardio..and a INSPIRE home gym for special leg muscle isolating workouts and total body toning .I walk to work with a LIGHT pack and my MEINDLES CANADAS boots and 2 mountain trekking poles(ski poles)..I am saving my knees for the hunt...

Good optics will save many a mile..sheep hunt is "mostly " a marathon not a sprint..ya gotta see them before they see you.....

My .02

good luck

Steven

GoatGuy
06-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Where's BH?

I thought getting ready for sheep was simply a matter of switching from regular beer to light beer?

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 10:42 AM
lmao

GG are you planning a sheep hunt this year?

Jelvis
06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
agaucher, what kind of foot care for blisters do you use like type of bandages and shape of bandages if you don't mind. What type of sock how many socks at once for comfort, thanx bro, Jel

Wildfoot
06-11-2007, 12:45 PM
mad rock makes a super affordable bombproof boot. They will be my next pair of mountain boots. Only problem is that they are not full leather.. so not as durable. The Alico (Italian company that has now gone under) boots I currently use have about 5000 km's on them.. they need a retread now.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 03:28 PM
So, did my first pack-training session. May not be representative because I was wearing running shoes.

i packed my pack with a 40 lbs weight, held in place by packing towels around it. Correct me if I am wrong, but you want to majority of the weight along your spine, and distributed to sit mostly on you hips?

Wasn't easy - I did 2 miles in about 30 minutes, on interval setting. Interval on an elliptical ( i know i know, real hiking is better, time constraints!)

Anyhow interval is flat then up for 5 mins, flat then up again for 5, I think the ratio is 2 to 1 meaning 10 minutes of flat for every 5 minutes of uphill.

Any tips to make this more representative? More time? more distance? less speed? More uphill? I am going at about 50% maximum difficulty on the machine.

Appericiate any advice. Gunna hit the real thing (hiking) soon too.

Alpine85
06-11-2007, 03:42 PM
What side of the lake are you on?
For treadmill in the winter months nothing beats steepest incline and watching a Rocky movie.:biggrin:
We load our packs up and hike to the tower on Black Mountain, there is a road all the way up. Once you have crushed that a number of times you can do the shale scramble to the top or the steeper back side to the top. I'm not to sure how long it is but it is a pretty good little exercise.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Im on your side of the lake if you do black mountain. What kind of weight do you carry when doing that Alpine? I could be very wrong, but steepest incline would be a good workout, but not representative. You dont hike stright up hill when huntin do yah ;D
How long do you do the treadmill for? Thanks for the advice!

Jel: To be honest, ive never gotten blisters! I wear my boots first out of day hunts, then weekend, and over a period of several months the boots are quite comfy! Even on a long full day of hiking!

Alpine85
06-11-2007, 06:10 PM
When we hike on Black Mountain we use 40 lb packs.

I could be very wrong, but steepest incline would be a good workout, but not representative. You dont hike stright up hill when huntin do yah ;D

IMO a treadmill is for the winter months, when climbing up hills is a little nasty. This time of year go find a hill and start climbing it. I don't know what kind of exersice your looking for that will bust yah into mountain shape this late in the game. Maybe for future you won't have to "start"..... just don't stop in the off season!!:-D
Could always try; not showering,eat little,wait for a rain storm then go climb up Big White and sit under a tarp for 6 hrs? :mrgreen:

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Lol, you probably know better than me, but two of the people I am going with have harvested several sheep, and according to them, as long as you are relatively fit all year round, working out two months in advance with a pack is adequate. Theyve only harvested about 8 sheep combined though.

Alpine85
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't get me wrong ,i'm sure lot's of successfull people do just that... I know a couple tall skinny guys that just throw packs on and get er done, then again there walking strides are the distance of small cars, LOL

Kirby
06-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I know a couple tall skinny guys that just throw packs on and get er done, then again there walking strides are the distance of small cars, LOL

LOL, ya its those tall buggers that suck, specially when they get paid to hike and scout all day.:-D

Kirby

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Dono whatcha consider tall and skinny. Im 6'1'', 168lbs

Regardless of height, after todays workout I know I couldnt carry a 50lbs pack for 8 hours at a gradual incline.

horshur
06-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Dono whatcha consider tall and skinny. Im 6'1'', 168lbs

Regardless of height, after todays workout I know I couldnt carry a 50lbs pack for 8 hours at a gradual incline.

Well your hooped for a 120 then eh? LOL.

Nimrod
06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't bother with the west coast trail, go for altitude training. Go put on your 40lb pack and climb big white, that's more like the altitude your in for.
Another good training hike would be a 3 day into mount Robson, it's 23 km then you get some endurance. One day in, one day rest ,one day out. do that in 30+ summer heat and your on your way. If your pack is to light throw in a couple 4 packs of Guinness , then you have a reward when you get there.
Or do a 3 day in the Valhalla's that's closer to you.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Going to do a few day hike down south prior tothe hunt. Tis only about 10km in and out though, with hiking while up there.

Horshur - I meant that at this moment I could do 50lbs for 8 hr a day. I still have over two months to prepare, so by that time, I will be ready for the potential of a 120 on the hike out.

Rubicon500
06-11-2007, 07:49 PM
For one I wouldnt Use a Eliptical Trainer, They are pretty much garbage for simulating a mountain. IMO the treadmill is the way to go if your not using a real Mountain. In the winter I use to go on the tread mill for 7 miles at 12% incline with 40 pounds on my back. It was a 2 hour go and your good and tired at the end.( Put Rocky 4 in and your laughing)
I did that 2 times a week for 3-4 months and I still wasnt in "sheep shape"

PS dont go to golds gym and ask to bring in your hunting boots with your pack on LMAO.. Been there done that, they just looked at me funny and laughed hahaha So I went and bought my own treadmill.:mrgreen:

dana
06-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd say the treadmills are junk for similating any type of slope. I had to do rehab on my back a few years ago at the Kamloops Hospital. They wanted me on a treadmill every morning to try to get my heart rate up. They had me hooked up with all these wires and stuff to my chest and they couldn't get my heart rate up to where they wanted it even at max slope. I think max slope was 15%. After hours they were puzzled and asked me what I thought. I told them in my world 15% is flat. I could walk all day like that without any difference but put me on a 60% sideslope and my heart rate would meet their targets in no time. :)

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 08:20 PM
As much as I agree the real thing is better, cant always do that.

Forget about how - is 40 lbs good to start at?
2miles, too little or too much?
An hour, too little?
Where should weight sit with a pack on property - mainly on your hips?

boxhitch
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I told them in my world 15% is flat. I could walk all day like that without any difference but put me on a 60% sideslope and my heart rate would meet their targets in no time.

I bet they gave you a blank look.
Nothing matches the real thing, even going light over terrain is good core training.
I thought a good training video would be 'The Hunters Ti-Chi', the art of ssllooowwww motion still-hunting, standing on one foot, ssslllooowww...... stepping over a log, all the time in balance....... arms waving..........like crane wings...... stepping on a twig....... then retracting the foot, ssslllooowwwllyy.......... spin to look around, balance....... pointing out a track.....and next looking up at the tops........slowwwwwww......

It would make a $$$$$$$.

dana
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
LOL! I've watched through the spotter numerous times as buddies practice those ancient Ti-Chi moves. Makes for a great spectators sport. :)

Aguacher,
40 lbs is a good weight. As for weight positioning, each individual is going to like the weight bearing to be in different areas. I'm a short guy. I like the weight on my hips. Some guys like it on their shoulders. The key is to find your comfort spot and stick with it. That means having your pack tweeked to your body type. That might mean moving straps higher or lower ect. Most modern packs are adjustable. You need to play around with them to find that adjustment that is 'just right for you'.
I would try to train in as realistic terrain as possible. That means, get off the pavement or sidewalks. Get into the bush. Find a park area or something that you can jog, run, jump, ect over natural terrain with weight on. Spend time climb over stuff with the pack weight on your back. That means, finding blowdown ect to crawl over. That will work on your balance. You need balance in Sheep Country. You need to work your ankles more than anything. Coming down scree with heavy weight can be murder on the ankles. Practice with the boots you will be hunting with on your feet. Buy the boots now!!!! Don't wait until just before the hunt.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks again.

I plan on buying my boots and pack this week. Am practing with a internal for now.

steveo32
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
hey dana remember last year watching thad stand on one leg for what seemed like a hour while stalking the bigger buck:mrgreen: that was great watching him shake like a leaf and in the end it all paid off even if he shot the smaller one

steve

dana
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Steveo,
The best was watching him put the stalk on that 190 alpine buck of his. A young little buck had him pegged just as he was stepping over a log. He was stuck like that for almost an hour. :)

Aguacher,
Have a look at the Eberlistock packs. If you are used to a internal frame, you might just want to get a good one like the Eberlistock. I personally don't like External frames. They really throw off my balance. That is why I went with an Eberlistock. I'm very impressed with it as both a pack and a meat hauler.
Also for boots, I'll throw another vote for Schnee's Sheep Hunter. I've been using mine everyday as a work boot and hunting boot, and I can say it is the best boot I've ever owned. I'm notorious for destroying boots, and yet these ones are holding up. I have a good buddy that wrote a review for them for Eastmans. He's used them for chasing Rocky's, Deserts, and Dalls. He is one of the most hard-core hunters I know and he says they are bullet proof. It was because of his recommendations that I choose them and I can echo his review. You can read the review on Schnee's website.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Cool thanks Dana.

In a pack I am concerned primarily with three things: Strength (no bloody cheap falling apart pieces), quietness, and weight capacity. Ive looked at ebelistock in the past, only concern was weight capacity.

Boots - as long as I get something tough, waterproof, and that gives me ankle support. between me and my pack fully loaded (with any luck, with a sheep head) ill be pushing 300 lbs. thats alot of weight on my ankles if I rolled em.

Sieg-MM
06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Agaucher, like you I will be attending my first sheep hunt this season. Been training for quite sometime. Started a program in January which requires 5 km runs three days a week (before work) and weight training 4 days per week. I have also did some mock hikes with 40 - 50 pounds in the pack.

From that program, I would recommend running the most. My recovery time while hiking has shown major improvements. Seems to be doing the trick for me. It's hard getting up an extra 45 minutes early for work, but everytime I think of full curl rams it's easier to spring up from bed.

I hope to get the pack ready in July and do a couple mock hikes with all my gear strapped on. Then one can tell what adjustments need to be made.

rollingrock
06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
LOL! I've watched through the spotter numerous times as buddies practice those ancient Ti-Chi moves. Makes for a great spectators sport. :)

Aguacher,
40 lbs is a good weight. As for weight positioning, each individual is going to like the weight bearing to be in different areas. I'm a short guy. I like the weight on my hips. Some guys like it on their shoulders. The key is to find your comfort spot and stick with it. That means having your pack tweeked to your body type. That might mean moving straps higher or lower ect. Most modern packs are adjustable. You need to play around with them to find that adjustment that is 'just right for you'.
I would try to train in as realistic terrain as possible. That means, get off the pavement or sidewalks. Get into the bush. Find a park area or something that you can jog, run, jump, ect over natural terrain with weight on. Spend time climb over stuff with the pack weight on your back. That means, finding blowdown ect to crawl over. That will work on your balance. You need balance in Sheep Country. You need to work your ankles more than anything. Coming down scree with heavy weight can be murder on the ankles. Practice with the boots you will be hunting with on your feet. Buy the boots now!!!! Don't wait until just before the hunt.

That is so true!:)

dana
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
One thing those that are weight training will find out eventually is that bulkin up and being all buff ain't gonna do ya any good. You want to weight train for endurance, not for bulk. Why? Pretty simple, the more bulk you are packin means the more weight you are packin. You may think it will get ya the girls, but it ain't gonna get ya that ram or that muley that you are dreamin about. You will be hurting more than if you never took up weight training. The lighter you are the better.

WoodOx
06-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Understandably. Not to mention hard on the various hip and leg joints. Not that many girls really like that big of guys anyhow - ever wonder why you always tend to see huge guys, with other guys? hmm...

Anyhow, a lil weight training is all that is necessary, just enough to help you support the back weight. Most of this muscle can be built by packing a weighted load itself.

Dana - whats your opinion on those pack questions I asked a few posts up?

Alpine85
06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
You may think it will get ya the girls, but it ain't gonna get ya that ram or that muley that you are dreamin about. You will be hurting more than if you never took up weight training. The lighter you are the better.

Man its really hard to say which is better...LOL
THIS?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/ELK.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/SheepHunt06035sm.jpg

OR THIS?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/bodybuilder.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/body_builder_chick_6.jpg

Jelvis
06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Strong like bull, smart like tractor, One guy in Kammy works out in the north shore gym, he hunts sheep too. plus everyting else and is hunting game or training year round thats all he thinks about. He flys in to lakes in sheep country hikes mile after mile with heavy packs. Hunts cougars. mulies, whitetail, elk, grizzly, blackies. moose and when hunting seasons on, tells his wife goodbye for the whole season, oh ya, don't try talking too him when he's workin out, I'd say he chews nails and spits rust. No wonder he's got record sheep. Needless to say, stay out of his way, sheep hunters are in shape. He takes all his holidays in hunting season only. Runs up to the telephone towers by Batchalor hills by Kamloops with a pack filled to the top. I use to think I was in shape til I saw this guy.

dana
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
As much as I agree the real thing is better, cant always do that.

Forget about how - is 40 lbs good to start at?
2miles, too little or too much?
An hour, too little?
Where should weight sit with a pack on property - mainly on your hips?

I answered a couple of these questions already. As for 2 miles. Dude we live in Canada, we've had the metric system since I was a kid. I know I'm older than you. :mrgreen: If you are going to train for endurance, than endurance is what you train for. I've never done the trip North but I have had many friends that get dropped off at one lake, and picked up at another many kms away. You need to be able to do those long distances. If you are only training short distances, you won't be prepared for the long haul.
As for timeframe, I guess it depends on your schedule and how bad you are willing to hurt during your trip. To start, you want to go slow, but build it up and build it up fast. You don't have a lot of time before you plan to go on your trip. When backpacking, you can sometimes spend all day with the pack on your back. You need to be prepared for that. But....a wise sheep hunter once told me, the year you start sheep hunting is the year your ram is born. So, if you ain't prepared this time, you will learn a lot for your next trip. I hear it is very addicting, and once bit, you'll never stop. I only have room for one addiction in my life, so I'll stick to living and breathing muleys instead. ;)

rollingrock
06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Dana nailed it. :D

Rubicon500
06-12-2007, 07:31 PM
This guy gets all the ladies, sheep and deer. I have even witnessd him pack out a bull moose HOLE...Guts horns and all. He is my big brother Terry(Alpine85). Hes not very smart but he can lift heavy things lmao :mrgreen:

WoodOx
06-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Dana

Was refering to the questions about strength of your backpack vs weight capacity of an external frame though.

I only refer to miles because it seems like many sheep hunters I talk to always like miles, and get confused at the 2.2 conversion.

But regardless thanks for the tips

Jelvis
06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
agaucher; you will do fine hunting sheep your only 22, and six one, and in fine shape, one thing tho, don't put your bacon in your tent when hunting sheep, unless you want to get woke up by a big grizz, Jel

dana
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM
aguacher,
I don't think you would ever max out the weight capacity of the Eberlistock. Just look at the testimonials on their website. Also use the search engine on Monstermuleys and read the archived threads. Very hard to find anyone saying anything negative about that pack. I've only had the pack for a year, but I did weigh it down packing out a large muley, cougar and bear. On the muley, because I wanted to try out the weight bearing, I threw in 2 hind quarters (still with the bone in) and had the neck meat and backstraps. I had enough room to throw in at least another full quarter. You won't be packin' out bone on your sheep hunt, except for the horns and skull.
The great thing about the Eberistock, is it has a lifetime guarentee. Not too many other packs have the same no questions asked guarentee as them. Burning the thing in a fire is about the only thing they won't cover.
Prior to this new pack, I had been using a Gregory internal frame for close to 20 years. It had packed out everything from deer to elk to moose to bears. The pack was amazing and very comfortable. Time finally caught up to me and I needed to replace it. With all the research I did, I couldn't find another pack on the market with such good reviews as the Eberlistock. External frames are bulky. They do really shitty in brush or timber. They get caught up on things all the time. You have to carry the weight high, versus low, and this can really throw the balance off. Some guys like that weight high, I don't.

bruin
06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I vote for an internal frame, I find them much more comfortable and compact. I use a Vortex pack and have always been comfy. One thing thast really helped me was a little tutorial from the guy who sold me the pack. He's a mountaineering nut and showed me all the adjustments and how to properly fit to your body, it's harder than you would think.

mudbud
06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I will second the Hanwags, awesome boots, like Meindls but better!
I bought a Kifaru internal pack, with loadbearer system, very impressed, also has a good gun carrier for quick access....my 2 cents

Jelvis
06-13-2007, 08:40 PM
You could get Rubicons brother Terry to go with ya and he could carry you in to where your goin and you could save on the boots.

Rubicon500
06-13-2007, 09:01 PM
You could get Rubicons brother Terry to go with ya and he could carry you in to where your goin and you could save on the boots.

Jelly thats what Fellow HBC'er MattB did on there hunt. He had a operation on his legs and couldnt afford to get custom boots made. So terry packed him in there and out with there 2 deer. For size comparion matt is 6'5 ish, Shows terry is a True "BC Giant" :mrgreen:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Alpine85/Terrythemanhauler.jpg

boxhitch
06-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Looks like the operation on his legs eliminated any further troubles.
Does it cost extra to get attached to a hunting partner like that ?

Alpine85
06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
For size comparison matt is 6'5 ish, Shows terry is a True "BC Giant" :mrgreen:

That measurement is obviously with his legs cut off..:-D

jjensen20
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
gaucher its 1.6 kms to a mile 2.2 is lbs and kgs. get it right buddy:)

horshur
06-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Check out the Time proven technology of this oldtimers pack--complete with hiking staff and a pre 64 winchester(pre 1864)---Tough SOB.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/Scan0001-3.jpg

MattB
06-13-2007, 09:33 PM
For size comparison matt is 6'5 ish, Shows terry is a True "BC Giant" :mrgreen:

That measurement is obviously with his legs cut off..:-D

LMAO, dont let out my secret to covering ground....

Jelvis
06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
It's too bad for him that Terry was'nt around yet.

WoodOx
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Lol

What I am trying to figure, is when Rubi did that graphic, which pack those horns were on. if those horns were on MattB's pack, that thing is a F'in pig.

Thanks for that Jensen. Im not good with numbers lmao