PDA

View Full Version : School for hunting neubs?

ktantra
05-25-2016, 12:01 PM
Hello, I'm just noob with a PAL, CORE, and a shotgun (so far). I really wanna get into hunting seriously but don't know where to start. Are there any local hunt clubs or private schools that take city folk and turn them into true conservationists? Or any of you folk reading this, we could swap trades. I homebrew and I'm willing to teach, or I could brew up a sea of true quality lager for your next camp out, no problem, if you let me follow n learn so I too can stuff my freezer for the winter ...

kilometers
05-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Oh man ( insert snarky comment here)

takla1
05-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Best advice I could pass along to you is to get geared up and just do it.Research the site for good game location and set a date juring the species rut time or as near as possible.
Be mobile,atv is your best friend and hunt the edges of light,dawn and dusk,Learn to watch your wind.If you truly want to fill your freezer with protein id start with moose.The average 5-10 yr old bull will yield up to 800 lbs of lean meat.Learn to read fresh sign and hunt it,they are where their tracks are.I shoot magnums,but you could start with a standard bore rifle,A 7mm mag is a good all around caliber.
I could go on,for any further info your welcome to pm me ,I can set you in the right direction
good luck
takla

Steeleco
05-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Check out the BCWF for a boot camp that might be coming soon. Lots to learn from camping to dealing with a downed animal.

http://bcwf.net/index.php/programs/new-hunter-bootcamp not sure when the 2016 camp is but I'd seriously get your name on the list

ktantra
05-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Best advice I could pass along to you is to get geared up and just do it.

I'd rather not just do it and get killed out there, I appreciate my life still .. Hence I thought to learn from the pros at least a bit before I put myself out there as bait. Note: thanks I will PM you.

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 12:27 PM
I'd rather not just do it and get killed out there, I appreciate my life still .. Hence I thought to learn from the pros at least a bit before I put myself out there as bait. Note: thanks I will PM you.Never heard of people being hurt by boobs.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 12:28 PM
http://bcwf.net/index.php/programs/new-hunter-bootcamp
Looks like a good start, thanks

ktantra
05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Never heard of people being hurt by boobs.
Ah yes . .the misprint .. its getting to me now, lol .. but hey, we could use a boob hunting school nonetheless as well

takla1
05-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Chances of getting killed wkile in the field is extremely slim if your worried about bear on human preditation
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjlmeyN-_XMAhXELmMKHZ6yDpEQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FList_o f_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America&usg=AFQjCNGHuUFpJPek59HsufI9De_0QhkYXQ
Id suggest you use this site as theres a tread to find hunting partners here.Ive hunting the Alaska Hyway since the mid 80's in cabin wall tent and had numerous close encounter both day and night and was never seriously pressured by a bear...had many close encounters tho.
ALLWAYS remember...Your the predator..not them

takla

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 12:36 PM
It sounds fun. Sign me up.

MichelD
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM
http://www.eatwild.ca/

Here is the hunting school you are looking for.

I am personally very cynical about people going to classes to learn hunting, but I have friends who have gone there and felt much more confident getting out in the bush after taking the course. To me it is a very 2000s yuppie, palmtop, tablet, smart phone app type of approach but hey, I'm an old fart. This generation seems to find comfort in that line of learning.

Getting out and doing it is best.

I know a young new hunter I took out a few times unsuccessfully so far, but a couple years ago he got a mulie doe LEH and went out on his own and got his deer. He didn't take any courses other than going hunting and seeing deer shit on the ground.

I don't know why you think if you go out on your own you're going to "get killed out there."

Most of us learned most of what we do by just getting out there. Many of us I admit, me included, learned a lot by following our father around but by 17 I was on my own most of the time.

metalface
05-25-2016, 01:23 PM
just get out there and start makin mistakes. still in the middle of it myself.

ICEWOODY
05-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Indy go hunt. It's easy it's walking with a gun looking at shit b

J_T
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
....... and turn them into true conservationists? ... Read, "Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold, "A Hunter's Heart -Honest Essays on a Blood Sport" by David Peterson and "Beyond Fair Chase" by Jim Posewitz. Not sure where you live, but if you have access to the NBEF IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Program), it's worthwhile, regardless of what weapon you choose.

Fella
05-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I'd rather not just do it and get killed out there, I appreciate my life still .. Hence I thought to learn from the pros at least a bit before I put myself out there as bait. Note: thanks I will PM you.
Get killed by what? I learned by going out and hiking with a gun. Don't daydream while out there, pay attention to tracks and poo and observe the terrain and vegetation where you've found said poo and tracks. Read a survivalist encyclopedia if you're worried about bushcraft and all that. You're not going to learn by sitting on your arse that's for sure.

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2016, 01:38 PM
a boob camp

fify..................

Squamch
05-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Watch a YouTube video or six about field dressing, then go for a walk.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:29 PM

Most of us learned most of what we do by just getting out there. Many of us I admit, me included learned a lot by following our father around but by 17 I was on my own most of the time.

Thanks for that link, I will dig into it!

And yes, I grew up in the city, app store, iphone, and all that crap along with it ..
But that is solid advice, and I appreciate it.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Watch a YouTube video or six about field dressing, then go for a walk.

I can hold a gun and pull the trigger, but ripping an animal into pieces seems a little more involving ..
If you know any decent youtubz links, please pass them along.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Read, "Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold, "A Hunter's Heart -Honest Essays on a Blood Sport" by David Peterson and "Beyond Fair Chase" by Jim Posewitz. Not sure where you live, but if you have access to the NBEF IBEP (International Bowhunter Education Program), it's worthwhile, regardless of what weapon you choose.

I will research those, thank you!

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:37 PM
You're not going to learn by sitting on your arse that's for sure.

That's for damn sure, but I guess I'd like a little foundation before heading out solo ..

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Go out with someone you know. I did that for a few years. You might want to put down your location. It helps.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:44 PM
ALLWAYS remember...Your the predator..not them

That's a good confidence builder, stuff like that^ is good to know eh ... If it don't get you killed, that is.

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2016, 04:44 PM
Go out with someone you know. I did that for a few years.

Dating your cousin isn't recommended.

Well, maybe in Tennessee...

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Go out with someone you know. I did that for a few years. You might want to put down your location. It helps.

Yah that's the problem right there, I don't, hence I'm on this forum. But I agree that would be ideal.

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Dating your cousin isn't recommended.

Well, maybe in Tennessee... You weren't complaining last year.

Ltbullken
05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
um... not what I was expecting... *disappointed*

ajr5406
05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Watch this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbnp82DWMCE The "Gutless Method" field processing

Buy this... http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Hunting-Butchering-Cooking/dp/081299406X

Learning without a mentor is tough. Ive been in the same boat myself, and am still a beginner. Lots to learn online, but do some research on where to hunt, use Google earth to do some preliminary scouting, and spend a new days hiking and looking for sign.

When fall comes you will at least know the theory, and a place to hunt... No problem going out there yourself. Just make sure you have the required gear to get the job done (pack, game bags, very sharp knife, tags, gun, bino etc) and your good to go.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 04:48 PM
just get out there and start makin mistakes. still in the middle of it myself.

I hear you, but with some foundational knowledge you can increase chances of harvest and survival... at least I think so.

RackStar
05-25-2016, 04:50 PM
School for hunting boobs.. Hmmm.
Try Vancouver on a Friday night!!

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 04:51 PM
You need to put where you are. People will help you. If they are close. I am in the Fraser Valley.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Lots to learn online, but do some research on where to hunt, use Google earth to do some preliminary scouting, and spend a new days hiking and looking for sign. When fall comes you will at least know the theory, and a place to hunt...

Yah that's pretty much the plan, is to research and learn thru the summer to be ready for September.
Would be good though to have a mentor though .. of course.
Thanks for them links too, I never heard of gutless field dressing before, interesting.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 05:12 PM
You need to put where you are. People will help you. If they are close. I am in the Fraser Valley.

Yah I'm in Surrey, but I'm white, from Europe .. so I like tea on the off-beat, but don't hold that against me.

metalface
05-25-2016, 06:12 PM
I can hold a gun and pull the trigger.

Lot more to good shooting than that.

two-feet
05-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I have seriously considered putting together a curriculum and taking out new hunters. It would increase hunter recruitment and help people be safe in the bush. Alas, i live a 13 hour drive from vancouver and refuse to move closer....

read Steve Rinella " the complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking"

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 06:32 PM
Yah I'm in Surrey, but I'm white, from Europe .. so I like tea on the off-beat, but don't hold that against me.What does color have to do with it? I know a lot of nice white people. LOL

ktantra
05-25-2016, 06:47 PM
I have seriously considered putting together a curriculum and taking out new hunters. It would increase hunter recruitment and help people be safe in the bush. Alas, i live a 13 hour drive from vancouver and refuse to move closer....

That's unfortunate for us newcomers, but I see your point, a day's drive is a tad and away. I guess I may have to leave the mainland.

albravo2
05-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Yah I'm in Surrey, but I'm white, from Europe .. so I like tea on the off-beat, but don't hold that against me.

Maybe BigBlackDog will mentor a bit. One of the most knowledgeable guys on here, especially if you are a white european;-)

My best advice, get a .22 and fire a few thousand rounds until you can hit a golfball at 150 yards. Then get a rifle and get out there. Drive to a dirt road and walk up a hill with binos and your gun. When you are puzzled about something, come back and ask a question. Repeat a few dozen times.

You don't need a mentor. You need a thirst for adventure and knowledge. People here can pass on knowledge but only you can create the adventure.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 07:08 PM
My best advice, get a .22 and fire a few thousand rounds until you can hit a golfball at 150 yards. Then get a rifle and get out there.

That makes sense, .22 rounds are cheapest, right .. hmmm
But I was hoping to go out there with a Marlin in 30-30 .. 50 to 100 yards, brush .. we're not in the prairies

Fella
05-25-2016, 07:14 PM
That makes sense, .22 rounds are cheapest, right .. hmmm
But I was hoping to go out there with a Marlin in 30-30 .. 50 to 100 yards, brush .. we're not in the prairies
Get good with the .22, then graduate to the 30-30. By the way, any reason in particular you chose 30-30? Not that it's a bad caliber, it's fine especially if you're shooting deer or black bear within 100ish yards but if you want to shoot moose or elk or you end up hunting in grizz country you probably want something with a bit more giddy-up.

Marlowethelazydog
05-25-2016, 07:23 PM
What region are you in?

Marlowethelazydog
05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
Also, maybe jumping to big game is a lot first time out. Use that shotgun to find some upland game and while you are hunting grouse, pheasant, quail, hare etc you will see all sorts to big game. Get to know your gun well and pattern it.

ekul246
05-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Depends on whether you're hunting the wild boob or domestic. The domestic ones often make milk, so they're practical and useful, but the alpha males tend to be very hostile and possessive of them.

ktantra
05-25-2016, 07:30 PM
By the way, any reason in particular you chose 30-30?

The Marlin 336 is apparently an excellent rifle for about $600! Just what I read in the reviews n such. Great match between quality and price point.
It'll do the job on most mid size game, but for moose and elk I hear I should go with a magnum round, 7mm or something like that.
It's all so confusing, you hear some guys say a 30-06 is good enough for all game, then there's the dudes that wanna hit everything with .50 BMG ..

ktantra
05-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Depends on whether you're hunting the wild boob or domestic. The domestic ones often make milk, so they're practical and useful, but the alpha males tend to be very hostile and possessive of them.

haha .. this is great, the domestic cougar I hear is an easy shot, mostly available and easily accessible .. found in most local corners

ktantra
05-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Also, maybe jumping to big game is a lot first time out. Use that shotgun to find some upland game and while you are hunting grouse, pheasant, quail, hare etc you will see all sorts to big game. Get to know your gun well and pattern it.

Solid advice, I was thinking that too, starting smaller and eventually moving up to big game. cheers.

rocksteady
05-25-2016, 07:37 PM
I have been an avid boobs hunter for 50 years...

Came out of the womb looking for a set.

Loved staring at my teachers Ta ta's through preschool and elementary...

Couple hot female teachers in junior high...

High school, got to squeeze a few..

College.. well let's just say I have had my share...

Even though I am 50 can not help looking at every pair that walks by...

I admit; I am an addicted boob hunter..

No cure, no way to end the addiction. ..

My trophy wall is in my mind... Not mounted above the fireplace

Fella
05-25-2016, 07:47 PM
The Marlin 336 is apparently an excellent rifle for about $600! Just what I read in the reviews n such. Great match between quality and price point.
It'll do the job on most mid size game, but for moose and elk I hear I should go with a magnum round, 7mm or something like that.
It's all so confusing, you hear some guys say a 30-06 is good enough for all game, then there's the dudes that wanna hit everything with .50 BMG ..
You're not wrong about the 336 being good and ya it'll do for midsize game like I said but you can get a decent rifle in an all around caliber for about the same price and you'll be set for any game in BC. No you don't need a magnum for moose or elk, .30-06 will do fine and it has a great range of bullet weights for anything from coyotes up to bison.

Slinky Pickle
05-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Hey, don't kid yourself. Boobs can be pretty dangerous.

https://youtu.be/mr7ZWJJdPV8

Shogi
05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
IMHO, as far as the rifle is concerned, I would skip the 30-30 and go directly to 30-06. I had an experience quite a number of years ago where I was using a 30-30 and had wished I had a bit more gun, the result was I couldn't (wouldn't) make the shot on a moose. The 30-30 has probably taken more moose than any other rifle but if you were to compare the two guns from a utility perspective, the 30-06 is the Swiss army knife of rifles (bullet choices are extremely impressive). While you're at it, pick up a 870 Express and now there isn't an animal safe from you.
A Savage Axis and an 870 can both be purchased for well under $1000.
As was requested before, what approximate region are you in? I imagine there are a few guys here that would be willing to show you the ropes if you were close by.

russm
05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Id say just get out and about, you can read and learn in a class room all you want but you'll learn more just getting out for a weekend, don't expect to be super successful and you won't be dissapponted, there's usually some grouse around to keep things interesting though. I've had mh license for 5 or so years and got a nice white tail my first season and I'm pretty sure I cursed myself, a .22 is good cheap practice and it doesn't hurt to have a bunch of guns.

ajr5406
05-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Plus you can pick up an old .22 for less than $100! I bought one from a member here for $50 - hard to beat for cheap practice. Plus, you can hunt small game with it too.

AgSilver
05-25-2016, 09:07 PM
There's a decent looking 30-06 for sale on here right now. $400 seems alright.

markathome
05-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Check out these guys: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-rookie-hunter/id1091008357?mt=2

Otherwise - don't over think it too much. It really is just a walk in the woods. If you connect with game - bonus. I recommend you put in for a doe LEH somewhere deer friendly (ie - not blacktail country) and have at it. Commit a few weekends to travel and if you're a bit lucky you should connect. Not giving away any honey holes - but west of Williams Lake has reliable populations, West side of Monashee's has good white tail (east side does too, but then you're getting to close to my barrel of fish).

Moral of my story is do your on line research, put in a couple of years targeting white tail and muley and then when you have a slight bit of confidence, consider blacktail hunting. Hunt blacktail for your first season and end that season with crushed confidence and throwing your rifle in the ocean. Then the following year - follow all of proguide66's social media, buy a new rifle and risk life and limb for a glimpse of a Region 2 blacktail.

I'm pretty new to hunting (10 years) and learning vast knowledge every season. PM me if you want. I'm a LM urban professional who started hunting with my best friend and we bumbled along until we kind of figured it out. He's a nurse so he automatically got field dressing duty. We usually fill freezers and don't own quads.

Two days to LEH deadline.

emerson
05-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Hunt bears on crown land. Buy a Havalon knife with extra blades. Take bears apart. Every time you learn lots. It's like sex. Getting started is the way to learn.

Squamch
05-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Every time you learn lots. It's like sex. Getting started is the way to learn.

And moose don't mind if ya chase whitetail in a new area now and again.

Eva_Hunts
05-25-2016, 11:30 PM
hook up with the eatwild folks, they rule

wideopenthrottle
05-26-2016, 07:29 AM
I have been an avid boobs hunter for 50 years...

Came out of the womb looking for a set.

Loved staring at my teachers Ta ta's through preschool and elementary...

Couple hot female teachers in junior high...

High school, got to squeeze a few..

College.. well let's just say I have had my share...

Even though I am 50 can not help looking at every pair that walks by...

I admit; I am an addicted boob hunter..

No cure, no way to end the addiction. ..

My trophy wall is in my mind... Not mounted above the fireplace

hello kindred spirit...heheheh

Stone Sheep Steve
05-26-2016, 07:34 AM
You may be a candidate for the 'howtohunt.com' app. Check it out.

MichelD
05-26-2016, 09:44 AM
If you are starting out with only one rifle I wouldn't recommend a 30-30. On any given day during a hunt in BC, particularly on the coast, but up-country too, you might encounter a game animal at anything from 3 yards to a kilometre away, so a rifle you can be confident with out to 200 yards and beyond if you're capable of it like a 30-06 or 270 is a wiser choice.

ktantra
05-26-2016, 04:42 PM
There's a decent looking 30-06 for sale on here right now. $400 seems alright.

I don't see it, sold?

ktantra
05-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Plus you can pick up an old .22 for less than $100! I bought one from a member here for $50 - hard to beat for cheap practice. Plus, you can hunt small game with it too.

someone else said this too, start with .22 and get my shooting practice .. I may just do that

ktantra
05-26-2016, 04:46 PM

what's a good .22 rifle nowadays?

Fella
05-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Look for a cooey or something that's in decent shape. If you want to spend some money go for a Ruger 10/22

RackStar
05-26-2016, 04:52 PM
Cannot go wrong with a 10/22.
Save your money don't buy a cheap savage, you will just want somthing better once you know your stuff.
Buy a tikka In 30-06 and be done with it.

Sinperama
05-26-2016, 10:45 PM
I don't mind returning the favor to HBC and let you tag along with me on day or weekend trips.
Only a few rules.

- Be patient since I'm an avid smoker
- Be quiet since my truck will be making all the noise
- Squirrels for lunch and dinners
- Constantly poking at piles of shits
- Share the cost of travelling (I like five star bushes)
- Be ready to shit in the bush just like all our forefathers have done before someone invented washroom.
AND
- Absolutely no bumming off smoke from me

PM me if you can follow those rule.
I'm in Richmond.
But hurry, Spring is almost over.
Unless you want to freeze your nuts off while learning :)

ktantra
05-26-2016, 11:31 PM

that there, that's the whole hunt right there right? taking shits and poking them.
And once in a while you get to fire a shot to scare the shit out of all them horny wild animals

AgSilver
05-27-2016, 12:00 AM
I don't see it, sold?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?127251-WTS-Savage-model-116-30-06-Stainless

ajr5406
05-27-2016, 06:01 AM

I picked up an old Cooey. Bolt action, reliable, pretty basic and cheap! $50 - can't go wrong really. Grab a large box of .22LR and your set for some fun practice in the bush...

If you want to upgrade later, I'm sure you will get your $50 back if you sold it.

mrtires24
05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
I don't mind returning the favor to HBC and let you tag along with me on day or weekend trips.
Only a few rules.

- Be patient since I'm an avid smoker
- Be quiet since my truck will be making all the noise
- Squirrels for lunch and dinners
- Share the cost of travelling (I like five star bushes)
- Be ready to shit in the bush just like all our forefathers have done before someone invented washroom.
AND
- Absolutely no bumming off smoke from me

PM me if you can follow those rule.
I'm in Richmond.
But hurry, Spring is almost over.
Unless you want to freeze your nuts off while learning :)

i have read somewhere else that people tend to have better luck with sightings when they stop and smoke. Do you find this true?

i have learned it is better to take periodic breaks and just look around...but have heard smoking almost attracts them. What has happened in your experience?

dakoda62
05-27-2016, 12:40 PM
It is really to bad now a days Core course taught online, very little face to face time, I remember when I did my core (back when Dr. licenses only had 3 numbers) years ago, our course was a Friday evening for 4 hrs, 2 full days on Sat. Sun. An optional day if you wanted range time. 2 instructors, 1 a former guide. Lots of experience and advice to pass along, is this missing from the coursing today? don't know, anybody.