PDA

View Full Version : Judge this poop

caddisguy
05-24-2016, 10:56 PM
I have found this scat the last 3 years in the same area. Found it again the same area this year and could hear this bone chilling roaring/groaning coming from a couple hundred meters up in the tree line. Any guesses how big a bear would be to drop a bomb like this? 30-06 cartridge for measurement. Never tried to hunt this guy... done for the year, plus it's crappy terrain. I've had cams up in the area but I've never seen him. Must be a good 300+ ? Chilliwack/Hope area.

Sorry for anyone who was eating breakfast.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/DSC00607_zpsddle5upu.jpg

Sinperama
05-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Show me the spot you last found it. Let's hunt that bad boy down.

Five
05-24-2016, 11:11 PM
That's big. Not to hijack the thread, but what do you use for a camera while hunting?

j270wsm
05-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Are there Grizzlies where this pic was taken??

todbartell
05-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Samsquanch

RackStar
05-25-2016, 12:05 AM

There's grizz everywhere.

caddisguy
05-25-2016, 06:45 AM
That's big. Not to hijack the thread, but what do you use for a camera while hunting?

That picture was taken with a Sony Cybershot which started failing on us a couple weeks ago, so for the last couple weeks, still pics have been taken on a cell phone. We have SJ-4000 (gopro-like) cams for videos, but sadly did not film any of our trips this season.

caddisguy
05-25-2016, 06:58 AM

I'm not aware of any recent confirmed sightings/evidence in the last 20 years or so, but prior to that there have been a few grizz that utilize the valley. I have never seen one on any of my trailcams or come across any tracks. I have seen moose and whitetail which I would consider almost equally out of place.

The possibility crosses my mind each season I see this guys scat. Probably a big black bear, but I've never wanted to invest the time to hunt him because from the time I have spend scouting around, I haven't seen him, terrain isn't great and that slim chance it is actually a grizz.

This year was the first year I heard vocalizations. It was this odd mix between a holywood grizz attack, a roar/moan/groan and a cattle "moo". Went on quite a bit... every 15-30 seconds, lasting 3-4 seconds each time. I thought moose being eaten alive or angry bear.

Squamch
05-25-2016, 07:02 AM
I'd give it a 7/10, only cause there are some gaps between a few nuggets, and a couple that seem to have rolled away from the pile, indicating unsteadiness, or possibly high velocity due to urgency.

sawmill
05-25-2016, 07:05 AM
It was me. The roaring and groaning was wiping my butt with stinging nettles.

steel_ram
05-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Has a big A-hole. Doesn't necessarily mean much else.

itsy bitsy xj
05-25-2016, 08:33 AM
Samsquanch X2

And the sound you heard was them mating

RiverOtter
05-25-2016, 08:50 AM
If you want bear pics, start saving bacon grease. Before you would normally start seeing sign from that big bear, find an old rough barked tree and smear the grease into the bark, then set up a cam a short distance away. Should get you some pics of bears in the area.

Just don't hunt over it, as that would be classified as baiting.

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 09:31 AM
If you want bear pics, start saving bacon grease. Before you would normally start seeing sign from that big bear, find an old rough barked tree and smear the grease into the bark, then set up a cam a short distance away. Should get you some pics of bears in the area.

Just don't hunt over it, as that would be classified as baiting. Or hang a 1/2 liter box of Black strap molasses from a tree. Poke a pin hole in it. That way when it gets hot out. It will drip slowly. Nice for trail came pics.

RiverOtter
05-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Or hang a 1/2 liter box of Black strap molasses from a tree. Poke a pin hole in it. That way when it gets hot out. It will drip slowly. Nice for trail came pics.
Yep. Have done similar with a beaver carcass in a burlap sack.

HarryToolips
05-25-2016, 09:44 AM
I'd give it a 7/10, only cause there are some gaps between a few nuggets, and a couple that seem to have rolled away from the pile, indicating unsteadiness, or possibly high velocity due to urgency.
Lol now this guys a real poop detective...looks big to me, probably gonna be a big bear..

caddisguy
05-25-2016, 11:08 AM
I actually decided to wait until July to hang my cams this year. I stated in March last year and lost one camera to a bear (still hoping to find it) and had another chewed up a bit. I was targetting deer with water softener salt, but made the mistake of smearing a bit of peanut butter around to help the deer find the salt. Instead, it helped the bears find the cams. Made for some cool but costly videos. Might try lock on a cam or two and get them up early next spring.

Buckmeister
05-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Just don't hunt over it, as that would be classified as baiting.

I actually decided to wait until July to hang my cams this year. I stated in March last year and lost one camera to a bear (still hoping to find it) and had another chewed up a bit. I was targetting deer with water softener salt, but made the mistake of smearing a bit of peanut butter around to help the deer find the salt. Instead, it helped the bears find the cams. Made for some cool but costly videos. Might try lock on a cam or two and get them up early next spring.

My thoughts would be to put the cam in place first, then play with the bacon grease or peanut butter or whatever. Or better yet, use two people, one for the tasty stuff, the other to hang the cam. Nothing worse than getting tasty scent on your cam and having 100 closeup pics of the bears tongue or paw.

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Has a big A-hole.

So does Canada. He's in Japan on our dime right now, celebrating his anniversary.

I'd say that bear has problems, what with crapping out loaded 30/06 ammo.

Weatherby Fan
05-25-2016, 11:20 AM
So does Canada. He's in Japan on our dime right now, celebrating his anniversary.

I'd say that bear has problems, what with crapping out loaded 30/06 ammo.

I kinda feel bad for the poor fella that was holding that 30-06........!

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 11:24 AM
I kinda feel bad for the poor fella that was holding that 30-06........! Maybe he resized it. Better get the calipers out and check.

Fella
05-25-2016, 11:31 AM
I have found this scat the last 3 years in the same area. Found it again the same area this year and could hear this bone chilling roaring/groaning coming from a couple hundred meters up in the tree line. Any guesses how big a bear would be to drop a bomb like this? 30-06 cartridge for measurement. Never tried to hunt this guy... done for the year, plus it's crappy terrain. I've had cams up in the area but I've never seen him. Must be a good 300+ ? Chilliwack/Hope area.

Sorry for anyone who was eating breakfast.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t644/vaporeyes/DSC00607_zpsddle5upu.jpg
Sorry Caddisguy, that's actually a turd from the rare Northern Elephant.

monasheemountainman
05-25-2016, 11:35 AM
hahahahaha

REMINGTON JIM
05-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Im gonna ask SRUPP if it relates to a Bears Feet size ! :shock: lol :-P RJ

J_06
05-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Maybe he's pulling everyone's legs and that's really a 223.

caddisguy
05-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Maybe he's pulling everyone's legs and that's really a 223.

Might explain those misfires lol

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Maybe he's pulling everyone's legs and that's really a 223. Looks more like a 17HMR.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-25-2016, 06:35 PM
There is no real way to tell how big or what kind of bear did it . unless you find the track or see the animal that did it .

msharkey
05-25-2016, 07:10 PM
It was me. The roaring and groaning was wiping my butt with stinging nettles.

You wipe your butt?

Spy
05-25-2016, 08:12 PM
You should have just posted it in the Sasquatch thread. That there is genuine Sasquatch poo, that's why you have not caught it on any of your trail cams. ;/)

scotty30-06
05-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Yea I say squatch....or grizz

RiverOtter
05-25-2016, 08:54 PM
There is no real way to tell how big or what kind of bear did it . unless you find the track or see the animal that did it .
I'd have to disagree, at least in part. A pile'o'shit isn't gonna give you a squared measurement, but once you've dumped a few bears and paid attention to shit piles, they can tell you a lot. Case in point, if I'm driving and walking new areas in the heat of the day looking for a spot to hunt the evening, I'm not gonna waste my time in an area with a bunch of dog shit sized piles. On the flip side, if I find a few "Kong" size piles and they look relatively recent, guaranteed I'll be focusing my attention there come evening. There is a stark difference between a 5 footers shit pile and a 6.5 to 7+ footers shit pile, even to a newbies eye...

Lillypuff
05-25-2016, 09:36 PM
my 4 year old has huge poops and he is 40 pounds

RiverOtter
05-25-2016, 09:58 PM
Your son is a bear, that's amazing.......:mrgreen:

caddisguy
05-25-2016, 10:12 PM
This is the largest bear I have on cam closest to where mister (or miss) big poop hangs out (about 500M away from where I find the piles year after year) ... starts at 1:28 but I am skeptical this bear is the culprit but who knows... maybe the 5x5 buck did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjik1HT67A0

steel_ram
05-26-2016, 07:25 AM

I was shocked when I saw what my toddlers left behind. Maybe little bears drop beer cans gauge as well.

ElliotMoose
05-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Sweet looking buck. have any footage/pics of him with polished bone? He definitely would have added some more tine length by Fall

caddisguy
05-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Sweet looking buck. have any footage/pics of him with polished bone? He definitely would have added some more tine length by Fall

I never did see that buck again. We pulled the camera mid September after seeing a mushroom picker. I'll put it up again a little deeper sometime in the next month or so.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Im not going to argue the point ., even small black bears eat anything they find . without a track or a eye sighting , i just dont think you can tell me for sure weather it was a black or a grizzly .
I'd have to disagree, at least in part. A pile'o'shit isn't gonna give you a squared measurement, but once you've dumped a few bears and paid attention to shit piles, they can tell you a lot. Case in point, if I'm driving and walking new areas in the heat of the day looking for a spot to hunt the evening, I'm not gonna waste my time in an area with a bunch of dog shit sized piles. On the flip side, if I find a few "Kong" size piles and they look relatively recent, guaranteed I'll be focusing my attention there come evening. There is a stark difference between a 5 footers shit pile and a 6.5 to 7+ footers shit pile, even to a newbies eye...

RiverOtter
10-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Obviously not, but you can get a pretty good idea, at least enough to know if it's worth spending some time and effort hunting the spot.

caddisguy
10-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Good old poop thread.

Since I started taking probiotics, I am now a formidable opponent.

Funny the timing this thread came back up. I was going to hunt this spot over the weekend in hopes to find that buck, or similar genetics.

I also just found out moments ago I will be hunting solo. Will definitely be thinking about that bear and the local cats to and from my spots in the dark :( ... but hey I'm a beefy 140lbs wet what could go wrong!!

REMINGTON JIM
10-06-2016, 07:47 PM

Bear SHIT ! the Bigger the DUMP the Bigger the BEAR FOR SURE ! Blackie shit is different then Grizz shit too ! :wink: RJ

Pursuit
10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Kinda looks like one of those large dumps bears take shortly after waking up in the spring. Maybe a den near by?

gutpile
10-06-2016, 08:18 PM
I don't think you can judge a bear by the size of the shit , i work as a custodian at an elementry school and i have
seen kids drop a big sausage , you wonder how they could do that an not rupture thier ahole !

REMINGTON JIM
10-06-2016, 08:23 PM
I don't think you can judge a bear by the size of the shit , i work as a custodian at an elementry school and i have
seen kids drop a big sausage , you wonder how they could do that an not rupture thier ahole !

Ha ! LMFFAO ! :grin: RJ

HarryToolips
10-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Lol hope ya haven't had to clean one out of the urinal...

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Bear SHIT ! the Bigger the DUMP the Bigger the BEAR FOR SURE ! Blackie shit is different then Grizz shit too ! :wink: RJ Thats not True . There is no way to tell .. unless you have a track or see it . i have seen baby bears shit all the over the place . big piles.. and there is no way to tell the difference between grizz and black bear unless you have seen it or got the track . they consume the same diet. different diets from different sources , different ones every single different day.. . A Bear is a Bear. unless someone can tell me a sure way to tell the difference , FOR SURE. 100 PERCENT without a dout . the difference.. i would sure like to hear it .

albravo2
10-06-2016, 10:19 PM
I was shocked when I saw what my toddlers left behind. Maybe little bears drop beer cans gauge as well.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I think I've cleaned that much poop out of a diaper (and a carseat). No live ammunition though, it wouldn't have survived the stomach acid of an infant.