PDA

View Full Version : First Hunting/Camping trip with just me and my 9 year old daughter

JIL_24/7
05-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Hi Guys,
I am going to be taking my tent trailer out on a test run for a night or two (1993 Jayco I have been working on restoring for 2 months) and my daughter wants to go "hunting" with dad. I'd like to take her someplace where we can see some bears and maybe she can shoot the .22. I am not sure she is ready to be with me when I shoot something just yet, but I'd like to give her a taste of a more rugged trip out of provincial campsites. Any ideas where I should take her for a great experience? I live in the LML and can drive up to 2-3 hours I am thinking with her and my FJ is set up for off-road, but the tent trailer will only go certain places. I would just really like her to see wildlife and catch the bug at an early age. If you don't want to share ideas with everyone PM me. Thanks everyone. I'd like to give her what I never got growing up.

Wile E
05-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Harrison East will give you lots of options.

I'm seeing bear and deer pretty regular, lots of chickens and rabbit, and the scenery is fantastic.
It gets populated on weekends, but mid week if it's an option, will give you privacy.
Great camping at 34km on Silver Creek, a little further to the springs, or just keep on going... Cross the creek at 35km for some exploring and more privacy, but no more water access.

Harrison West is good too, just more traffic. Great camping at 38 or 40km, don't remember. Lake front.

Another great overnighter is Murphy Lakes. Easy access and lots of animals, but cold right now.

These are a couple easy routes with the consideration of your girl, towing, and "2-3 hours".

The best place to go is wherever you end up. She won't care where you are, just who she's with.

ItsGrouseTalk
05-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Check out places like Sunday Summit, Whipsaw, Placer, etc. I love that country. Also look into Garrison Lakes. There's some camping spots in the Sunday Summit area with a short walk to Garrison's, and I think its accessible by quad from the Whipsaw side. Fishing is really good. That area is really nice, roads are good, lots of country. In the spring we always see deer, bear, elk, grouse, rabbit, etc.

Have fun!

Norwestalta
05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Well done DAD