PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting and did first scouting....tell ya what I found

mrtires24
05-22-2016, 05:53 PM
I am new to Hunting. ( still haven't done it) just got my Core and Pal winter 2016.

I went out scouting with the family today. Never done it before, and I know its not really a good time of year to do it because they should move around by the time hunting season comes ( deer )

went up chihalis service road and found a clearing. Found deer tracks, droppings, scratch marks and might have found two beds. Also found old and VERY FREASH bear crap.

Another thing we found was a couple piles of white fur in different locations. I am new to this, but I think it might be deer fur?

we also came across white thread ( easily breakable) that was strung through the bush at knee-chest hight. The fist time we found it, it was around my ankle. I didn't think too much about it and just untangled myself.

The second time I found it, I saw it close to where I think the beds and a srape were and it was strung at knee to chest hight. We didn't disturb it. Is this probably someone trying to see if there is activity? It was thin thread and very easily breakable. ( I tested the stuff I found around my ankle)

we didn't find any sheds, but I guess it isn't that time of season.

I am excited about what we found and documented the area so I can go back. Because this is my first scouting time out, I have nothing to compare this to. Was this decent info we found for a 1 hour hike???

Thanks

caddisguy
05-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Sounds like time well spent! In my experience, sheds are hard to come by in the Fraser Valley. It is thick and the terrain is not very favorable. I have yet to go out with the sole intent of shed hunting, but I spent a lot of time hiking around scouting, hunting, checking trailcams, etc and I have never found a shed.

I am not sure about the thread. That is very interesting. Sounds like a decent idea to check for activity, but it doesn't say too much about what activity (people, deer, bear, etc) ... maybe you just proved that bigfoot exists to a sasquatch researcher :D

Whonnock Boy
05-22-2016, 07:01 PM
I believe the thread is for forestry purposes. As for the scouting, it's a great way to get out and spend the day, however, come hunting season I would not spend too much time looking for the elusive blacktail. Even many seasoned hunters have found themselves discouraged looking for the ghost like beings. Seriously think about going further off the Coquihalla, Merrit, or Princeton when it's time to pull the trigger. Good luck...

Brno22F
05-22-2016, 07:19 PM
I believe the thread is for forestry purposes...

Most likely from a device called a hip chain or string box. Thread runs through a meter as you walk and it gives a fairly accurate estimation of distance. They are a replacement for the old steel or poly chains for traversing which required a person at each end when traversing.
Hip chains are often used by forestry workers doing regeneration surveys, timber cruising etc.

Buckmeister
05-22-2016, 07:47 PM
String is also used for laying out a mineral claim, or at least it used to be, it is mostly done online these days.

Just getting out and identifying tracks, beds, and droppings are great ideas. The more you do it, the better you get at determining the age of said items too. Helps you know how long ago an animal was there roughly. Another good thing to get your eyes accustomed to is looking for game trails.

Was it hair or fur you found? Deer have hair, roughly 1 1/2" to 2" in length. I've often found clumps of it laying around after deer have groomed themselves for whatever reason. The hair is also hollow and an insulator, so if you grab a handful of it and close your hand to make a fist, you will feel your hand getting warmer.

GotaGun
05-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Season or not, your gaining knowledge first hand of scat, rubs, tracks.

Plus exercise, map reading, GPS.. etc etc....:).

mrtires24
05-22-2016, 08:03 PM
I believe the thread is for forestry purposes. As for the scouting, it's a great way to get out and spend the day, however, come hunting season I would not spend too much time looking for the elusive blacktail. Even many seasoned hunters have found themselves discouraged looking for the ghost like beings. Seriously think about going further off the Coquihalla, Merrit, or Princeton when it's time to pull the trigger. Good luck...

I have two hunts planned already.
One for moose and deer up in mackenzie. Submitted my LEH already for that trip
and another one in Soveno. ( spelt wrong)

I figures i could practice scouting locally and learn stuff and maybe find somewhere interesting. There are deer around the lower mainland. They get hit by cars every day. I understand they are hard to find down here, but it might make for some day trips or whatnot.

Im just trying to learn as I go. I have not grown up with hunting and only have a couple friends that do.

nature girl
05-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Great for you for getting out and trying to learn new things. Id definitely try that area out more. And the best of luck to you.

Whonnock Boy
05-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Excellent. Don't get me wrong, there are deer down here, but you just have to invest a little more time getting to know them is all. And yes, the only way to learn, is to get out there! Good on ya...

I have two hunts planned already.
One for moose and deer up in mackenzie. Submitted my LEH already for that trip
and another one in Soveno. ( spelt wrong)

I figures i could practice scouting locally and learn stuff and maybe find somewhere interesting. There are deer around the lower mainland. They get hit by cars every day. I understand they are hard to find down here, but it might make for some day trips or whatnot.

Im just trying to learn as I go. I have not grown up with hunting and only have a couple friends that do.

4 point
05-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Being a newby you'll probably get that LEH moose draw you entered it is us old timers who can't get a draw period. Good luck to you in your new hunting adventures.

HarryToolips
05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Season or not, your gaining knowledge first hand of scat, rubs, tracks.

Plus exercise, map reading, GPS.. etc etc....:).
This is correct, just being out there and looking for sign is great learning...I suggest also learning how to use a compass and the sun for navigation, a lot more fulfilling imo, and just relying on a GPS with no other 'practiced' navigation skills is dangerous...lots of info online about how to use a compass etc, and you can feel free to pm me for navigation tips as well...

mrtires24
05-23-2016, 08:16 AM
This is correct, just being out there and looking for sign is great learning...I suggest also learning how to use a compass and the sun for navigation, a lot more fulfilling imo, and just relying on a GPS with no other 'practiced' navigation skills is dangerous...lots of info online about how to use a compass etc, and you can feel free to pm me for navigation tips as well...

didn't use a GPS. had a compass on me, but only used it once when i was at the truck. after that, didn't need it again because I could see markers.

mrtires24
05-23-2016, 08:18 AM
So what are the odds that this place was a decent find? like i said this was my first time out scouting and besides seeing a deer, or finding a shed, I found everything else I was looking for.

I know they travel a decent amount, and location will change with the seasons, so what are the chances this place still having the activity come hunting season?

nature girl
05-23-2016, 08:34 AM
So what are the odds that this place was a decent find? like i said this was my first time out scouting and besides seeing a deer, or finding a shed, I found everything else I was looking for.

I know they travel a decent amount, and location will change with the seasons, so what are the chances this place still having the activity come hunting season?
Well if I was you go back in the fall and give it a try. That is how you learn. One day the deer may not be there but a few days later they may be.

HarryToolips
05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
didn't use a GPS. had a compass on me, but only used it once when i was at the truck. after that, didn't need it again because I could see markers.
Perfect, paying attention to your surroundings is extremely important...as said, it's worth while going back there if there was good sign..but explore new areas, you may find other better areas with even more sign, and maybe sightings..

Buckmeister
05-23-2016, 10:37 PM

Hard to say without knowing the area myself. I live in town, but up against a hill, so we have had deer and bear walk through our yard. I have found deer track and sign in many locations I would not actually hunt or expect to see game while hunting, but that doesn't mean they are not there. Just keep going out. Also, find an experienced mentor who is willing to take you places too.

floden
05-24-2016, 08:46 PM
I have run across thread like that when we go out mushroom picking. I never knew what it was either, then one year we saw a very nice car parked where we go picking. That looked odd as its way up a ( decent) gravel road and certainly not where I'd expect to see that kind of car- or any car for that matter.

later that day I ran across the 2 Asian gents who had a roll of string they were using to find their way back out. It was one of those large white triangle shaped cones of thread you'd see on an industrial sewing machine.

the guy had it in his bucket when we stopped to compare what we found

brian
05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
I find when scouting it is very important not to make any assumptions about what you are seeing but to simply look for as much evidence of activity as possible. Eventually a picture emerges. Assumptions can lead to false trails.

so what are the chances this place still having the activity come hunting season? Anything can happen. If all their needs are met they could stay right where you found fresh sign all year round or they can shift to alternate food source a few clicks away at the drop of a hat. Hunting pressure will shift their behavior. You could be in the middle of a high use area that only sees activity after the sun goes down. You'll see tons of sign but no deer. So the first question I would ask myself is how is the access? How many hunters are likely to be hitting the area? This will give you a good idea of the pressure the area will see. I would go back again and again to learn the terrain, find their preferred bedding grounds and keep monitoring current browsing habits/sign. Learn their trails and look for ambush points where the terrain and features will concentrate their movements. Keep monitoring the wind. If the access is easy then try to locate the overlooked pockets or go where the access is not so easy.

Spring and summer is actually a perfect time to start scouting, you have a ton to learn about the area and about the animals in it. Its best to start doing that well outside the hunting season. During the season you will go back with the intention of hunting not scouting (actually I spend time learning new areas during the hunting season if the weather is not working for me). But you are doing it right. Go out and learn new things. When you have questions come here and ask. Confusion and uncertainty are perfectly normal companions at this stage of your journey. Get used to them, they will be with you for a long time.

mrtires24
05-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Went out again today scouting with a friend this time. Tried a couple new places but struck out pretty good. I took him to the location that started this post. We searched different clear cuts and surrounding areas and found a very worn and well used game trail about 40 feet from the clear cut. saw lots of tracks in our search. Didn't see any deer droppings, but found a very large bear pie.

i almost stepped on a grouse and her baby's.

although we didn't see any actual sightings, we did find more signs of activity. I have only done these two scouting trips during the day. I think I want to try and stay out an afternoon till sundown next time.

brian
05-29-2016, 08:09 PM
You'll find a lot more scat in areas of high frequency especially around bedding sites or areas of more concentrated feeding. Less scat in travel routes. I say go back and look for potential bedding sites. Head into the trails and start learning them and see where they lead you.

mrtires24
05-29-2016, 08:18 PM
Forgot to say, the fur or hair we found on our first outing was confirmed as deer.

mrtires24
05-29-2016, 08:19 PM
You'll find a lot more scat in areas of high frequency especially around bedding sites or areas of more concentrated feeding. Less scat in travel routes. I say go back and look for potential bedding sites. Head into the trails and start learning them and see where they lead you.

Thanks, that's good to know. Clearly makes sence, but didn't realize till you posted it

mrtires24
09-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Being a newby you'll probably get that LEH moose draw you entered it is us old timers who can't get a draw period. Good luck to you in your new hunting adventures.

Yup I got it!!! so did the other 3 groups i am going hunting with...should be a good moose hunt

tigrr
09-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Advise; don't name roads and such or there will be 50 people show up on opening day!

mrtires24
09-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Advise; don't name roads and such or there will be 50 people show up on opening day!
Yeah, being brought up on fishing, I know how people are secretive on locations. Makes it hard for a newbie to learn though

mrtires24
09-05-2016, 07:27 PM
OK, so I have gone back to this location I have found and I like the activity I have seen. However I have not had any sightings, and there does seam to be a bunch of human activity in the area. Now that fall seams to have arrived, i have come to the realization that all the abundance of berries that were there in the summer, have now all died off. so being a new hunter, I am left with the question " what do dear eat in region 2?"

Kinda face palmed myself when I went out today only to realize the berries were all gone...Of course they would be, I think i was just blinded by the excitement from this new hobby.

Anyways. any advice for types of food to look for that deer would be eating would be great.

Phil

tigrr
09-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Bears eat berries and grass.
Deer eat grass, leaves, flowers, my pea plants, carrot tops and roses.

Salty
09-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Great thread mrtires I always enjoy new hunters sharing their brand new experiences fun stuff.

I'd recommend hunting down some books and internet stuff with a bit of a science bent on deer especially black tail deer being where you are hunting. There's a lot to know and honestly a lot that we'll never know. Figuring out what they eat is definitely a good curiosity to have. Basically and not surprisingly they'll eat the best and food nutrition wise that they can find at the time. During the summer and early fall they'll prefer herbaceous plants (plants that die off in the winter), there's a variety they like any in the pea or bean family a lot of flowering plants and new green shoots and leaves from young shrubs and trees. After the first frost they mainly go for now leafless shoots of shrubs and trees like huckleberry, salmon berry and many others. I've seen them eat a lot of salmon berry leaves after frost when they're yellow. Which is a head shaker cause the stuff is literally everywhere in a lot of black tail areas. Keep an eye on the ground and in the shrubs where you see sign you should be able to find where and what they've been munching on.

HarryToolips
09-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah, being brought up on fishing, I know how people are secretive on locations. Makes it hard for a newbie to learn though
Best way for a newbie to learn is just getting out there, and finding your own locations;-)..Salty has good tips above.. Look for sign sign sign..

caddisguy
09-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Cool thread and thanks for keeping it going. I hope you will continue to post updates about your scouting and hunting. It's not easy for sure. A new deer hunter in Region 2 has their work cut out for them. The good news is that Region 2 is grossly under-hunted and full of game. Easily accessible areas (roads, deactivated roads, hiking trails) are pounded but beyond that, very little human activity. The terrain is often thick, steep and unfriendly. You are also hunting blacktail genetics, but all that makes it fun.

My advice is check out a few mountains, scout around and pick the one you like and make it your mountain. Spend as much time there as you can. Every time out you will find pieces of the puzzle. Eventually you will have all the pieces and putting them together will be a no brainer. This will be my 4th deer season and I'm half way there :)

A grunt tube and a rattle set would be good investments.

russm86
09-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Just a heads up regarding the string, but in the interior at least, people will use fine string or fishing line run across roads and trails etc at multiple points to give them an indication if anyone has been near their "natural" grow ops. I've run into it on occasion but it's usually pretty obvious as the string/fishing line doesn't go anywhere other than back and forth across the road so if it heads straight down the road or all over the dang place up into the bush etc then it is likely for something else as previously mentioned. The first time I ran across some fishing line I didn't think much about it and kept going and hiked a slash at the end, in the middle of the slash was a bunch of new growth jack pines around 6' tall, well, spread among these pines was a bunch of planters with you guessed it, pot plants. I estimated there were between 50 and 100 plants and reported it once back in cell service.

mrtires24
09-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the advice. After posting the question of what do they eat, I did some research. Found a thread on here that provided a scientific link to a study of what deer eat and at what times of the month.

was a rookie mistake to think deer eat berries. It made sence since I saw signs of deer in an area full of huckleberries, wild blueberries and salmon berries. By his area also has ferns. Which I found out they eat as well.

I went for another drive further up and found a pull off that had a bunch of camomile flowers. I didn't walk the cut block, but did see a white Ford parked there. It had browning seat covers with no owner in sight. Hmmmmm

i read somewhere that the deer prefer a southern facing side of a mountain. Did I remember that right?

russm86
09-07-2016, 10:36 AM
i read somewhere that the deer prefer a southern facing side of a mountain. Did I remember that right?

During colder months sometimes yes, but when it's warm they may be else where like on the North face which is cooler... Keep in mind everything you read about animals is a generality and often doesn't hold true.

MAMMOET
09-07-2016, 11:43 AM
There's a book called Blacktail Tophy Tactics by Boyd Iverson and another book Science of The Hunt by Scott Haugen.
They are both excellent books. I've read both multiple times.
They are very informative.
You won't be disappointed.
Good luck out there.

Wentrot
09-07-2016, 02:06 PM
There's a book called Blacktail Tophy Tactics by Boyd Iverson and another book Science of The Hunt by Scott Haugen.
Good luck out there.

X2. The boyd Iverson books are very good.

scotty30-06
09-07-2016, 02:29 PM
I have been looking for a good book to get into around the camp fire....might head to chapters and see if I can't pick it up

caddisguy
09-07-2016, 03:58 PM
I too am now looking for a copy of Blacktail Trophy Tactics. Odds of finding it for sale locally seem slim. Prices online range from $20 USD for a used copy to $100+ CDN lol

brian
09-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Deer eat differently in different regions and their diet is also varied through out the seasons. So what someone says about deer diet may not apply to the deer you are hunting. The best way to figure out what they are eating is to go out and see what is currently being browsed on. You can tell deer browse by the mangled look of the plants and the clipped leaves/branches. When I say clipped I really mean shredded, if it has a clean cut that looks like someone snipped it with pruning shears then it is not deer. They have no upper incisors so they have to tear off their food. Fresh browse will look green smell fresh just like fresh yard work. Old browse will have brown edges. Its that simple.

Deer will eat a ton of different herbaceous and deciduous plants (new growth is always preferred if they can get it), mast when available, mushrooms, lichens, grasses, ferns... the list goes on and on. Diet changes to less nutrient dense yet still green plants like conifers, salal, oregon grape, lichen and anything else that will fill the belly. One thing I like to look for early in the season is fireweed. They seem to love it and grows so freely on the side of FSRs. If your driving/walking the FSRs looking for a place to stop, check the fireweed. I also look for patches of oregon grape that have been mangled and stunted. That is usually a good indicator of year round bedding/feeding sites. These days I mostly avoid hunting feed but hunt deer instead. I just check for current deer sign and assume use of the area. The only way I would consider hunting for specific feed is if I happen to know something special like mast is dropping and I happen to know where some oaks are.

mrtires24
09-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Good luck out there.

thanks for the advice. I have a hard time reading books. I am not the best reader, and it frustrates me. I may give them a whirl.

mikeman20
09-07-2016, 08:08 PM
chehails is a great lake, and seems like it would hold lots of deer, but I have rarely seen them there.
I regularly camp there with friends, and about 4 years ago we spotted two (quite large) does getting a drink at the lake in the winter. Have yet to see any more deer though.

Pursuit
09-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Good on ya mrtires24! Keep on getting out afield and you'll learn more every time you set out. Black-tails sure eat a fair variety of foods, however, one of their favorites is fireweed. If you find a block loaded with fireweed in early Sept that hasn't been burnt by sun, you may want to give that spot a second look. Also, the previously mentioned books are great resources. Good luck and have fun out there!

Treed
09-07-2016, 09:14 PM
You are in the bush, which is more than most guys. I like to find fresh signs of feeding (scat, browse sign, tracks etc.). They are probably going to show up in those areas just before dark or leave just after the sun comes up. Know the wind direction and find a good place to sit and watch. Try to get there a few hours before so you don't disturb them. And wait. They are like freakin ghost ninjas. You will be watching a spot for 30 minutes and all of a sudden 2 deer will be standing there watching you itch your nose. Damn - busted. Stay quiet, move slow, and always, always hunt the wind. If I am still hunting, I hunt alone. Two people are too noisy. Sitting and waiting is a good solo or two person strategy. Most of all enjoy the bush! most of what is great about hunting is just being there.

mrtires24
09-08-2016, 12:15 PM
thinking of going out for an evening hunt tomorrow. Kinda discouraged because I was looking for berries all along. almost feel like I have to re do my scouting. at the same time, I did find scat and trails, Hair and other signs from deer... so they are there...or were there

brian
09-08-2016, 02:28 PM
In your first few years you will constantly be redoing "scouting". That is all part of learning an area as it changes through the seasons. I devote quite a bit of time to scouting more area during the hunting season, especially when conditions are not ideal. That is how you develop hunting areas. Keep going out, keep learning, keep asking questions... you're doing great!

mrtires24
09-08-2016, 02:42 PM
You guys are all very supportive to a new person. I apreciate it. I'm a stubborn guy and hate to ask for help. But I am fine for asking for help on a forum. I am super ecited.

locally around my house in maple ridge, I have been seeing lots of deer and bear. Hope I see them in the bush

lostmind
09-08-2016, 02:58 PM
You guys are all very supportive to a new person. I apreciate it. I'm a stubborn guy and hate to ask for help. But I am fine for asking for help on a forum. I am super ecited.

locally around my house in maple ridge, I have been seeing lots of deer and bear. Hope I see them in the bush

I live in port moody and see more deer around my house than some hunting trips. hahahaha.

I totally get your personality too. I'm cool asking stupid questions in a forum, but in person? Hah!

mrtires24
09-09-2016, 03:18 PM
well, Im going to go for a quick outing this evening after dinner. I will probably go out again Saturday.

Be safe out there.

mrtires24
09-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Can anyone tell me a web site that tells me the time that the sun goes down and also (I am going by my memory) is it true you can hunt till sun down? And when can you start hunting in the morning? Please and thank you.

Fella
09-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Not trying to be a dick here but check the regs re: times you can hunt. I wouldn't take anyone's word on the Internet as full gospel. You should always check the regs first for these types of questions. As for websites showing when the sun goes down, the weather app on your smartphone will tell ya.

also, remember that just because you can hunt till a certain time doesn't mean you necessarily should. Depending on geography and weather it may be unsafe to shoot even if you're still technically legal.

mrtires24
09-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Thank you for replying. Just going out for dinner and the regs online won't work. Planning to go out after dinner. Thanks.

mrtires24
09-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Went out yesterday evening. Found out you really can't achieve much by getting out there after dinner. So I won't do any more of those trips.

finally found out the times you can hunt till. I can't believe it's up till an hour after sunset. You can hardly see anything. What web site do you guys use to determine the time of sunset?

scoutlt1
09-10-2016, 08:22 AM
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/sunrise/

ajr5406
09-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Thank you for replying. Just going out for dinner and the regs online won't work. Planning to go out after dinner. Thanks.

Buy the Hunt Buddy app ($5) and also the map package ($15) - best $20 you will spend. You will have maps, the regs and the sunrise/sunset info

mrtires24
09-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Buy the Hunt Buddy app ($5) and also the map package ($15) - best $20 you will spend. You will have maps, the regs and the sunrise/sunset info
Would you need data to view it though?

ajr5406
09-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Would you need data to view it though?

No it's downloaded. You can also download the section of a map you plan to hunt and can use it out of cell reception too.

mrtires24
09-11-2016, 08:20 AM
No it's downloaded. You can also download the section of a map you plan to hunt and can use it out of cell reception too.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into it. Thanks

mrtires24
09-11-2016, 08:23 AM
OK, So this might be a silly question. During the hunting season. if you are on the look out for Deer as well as grouse, would you go hiking with two different rifles? I can't see it as a good idea to shoot a grouse with anything more powerful than a .22. but if I see a Buck, I would have to have exceptional shot placement with a .22.

What do other people do? do you walk with two rifles?

Also, I have read the "ITS UNLAWFUL" section. It mentions that it is illegal to use Bait for bears, but it doesn't say that about deer. I saw some jugs of deer scent attractant at cabbalas the other day...COuld you also bring apples and lay them out? or is that illegal?

Thanks for all the help. I am planning on going out again today!

scoutlt1
09-11-2016, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=mrtires24;1816994]OK, So this might be a silly question. During the hunting season. if you are on the look out for Deer as well as grouse, would you go hiking with two different rifles? I can't see it as a good idea to shoot a grouse with anything more powerful than a .22. but if I see a Buck, I would have to have exceptional shot placement with a .22.

Please check the regs (page 16) if you think you can shoot a buck with a .22 (I'm assuming you're talking .22LR)

mrtires24
09-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Ah, yes, thats right, you can't...didnt have to check, you reminded me.

Thanks Scoutlt1

mrtires24
09-11-2016, 09:26 PM
just came back from a day trip. No luck, but learned more. surveyed a new area but didn't see any signs of deer. Lots of bear crap and trees with scratches from a bear. heavily used game trail as well.

after finished with that area, I headed back to an area that I have seen signs of deer. Did my first " stake out" if you will. but didn't see any activity.

I have changed my attention to plants and signs of deer eating them. Hard to get good examples off the internet. Haven't seamed to see anything...yet

Next outing will be a 3 day trip up to Savona (prob spelled wrong) will keep you all posted. Any advice for that area would be great.

HarryToolips
09-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Went out yesterday evening. Found out you really can't achieve much by getting out there after dinner. So I won't do any more of those trips.

finally found out the times you can hunt till. I can't believe it's up till an hour after sunset. You can hardly see anything. What web site do you guys use to determine the time of sunset?
Anytime getting out is a good thing...

HarryToolips
09-12-2016, 04:52 PM
OK, So this might be a silly question. During the hunting season. if you are on the look out for Deer as well as grouse, would you go hiking with two different rifles? I can't see it as a good idea to shoot a grouse with anything more powerful than a .22. but if I see a Buck, I would have to have exceptional shot placement with a .22.

Also, I have read the "ITS UNLAWFUL" section. It mentions that it is illegal to use Bait for bears, but it doesn't say that about deer. I saw some jugs of deer scent attractant at cabbalas the other day...COuld you also bring apples and lay them out? or is that illegal?

Thanks for all the help. I am planning on going out again today!
Yup, I've gone out with two guns, a 22 and a .30-06 lots...and your right, you are allowed to bait deer in BC...keep reading the regs, it's a good thing...the only part of the regs i don't read are the regions I'm not hunting in...

caddisguy
09-12-2016, 06:15 PM
During my first year, I packed a 22 for grouse and a 30-06 for deer. In my case it turned out to be very unpractical, at least to have two guns moderately "ready". The second gun was always getting in the way and I didn't care for the extra weight either. Sometimes I'd still bring the 22 for road birds and the occasional hike for places with a lot of birds but only have my hunting partner was packing a deer rifle. Now the 22 stays at home and depending on the situation, so does the 30-06. I recently warmed up to shotgun hunting, especially if I have a partner with a long range rifle. I can take grouse or close range deer and anything beyond 30 yards she can poke with her 30-06.

And you can bait deer, 100%. Just don't be like that guy who dumped huge piles of mashed up rotting apples (among other things?) along the FSR's (and granite slabs) in the MU I hunt lol

mrtires24
09-13-2016, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all your input. What do you guys prefer to use of baiting deer?
thanks so much for everything so far.

Whonnock Boy
09-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Bait stations are most effective when started in the early spring, and even more so when you continue to replenish the station year after year. Most guys just use salt. Water softener salt can be bought at Canadian Tire for less than 10 bucks I think, for a 40 or 50 pound bag. You can also buy the salt blocks at the local tack shop. I've heard the brown ones work best. With that said, the bucks and bulls vacate the station when their antlers are done growing... usually. Some people use oats and cracked corn, but that attracts the undesirables. Bears....

Thanks for all your input. What do you guys prefer to use of baiting deer?
thanks so much for everything so far.

mrtires24
09-14-2016, 09:22 PM
well, I should be out in the bush this weekend... Will keep you all posted

mrtires24
09-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Day 1 in Savona. Completely different than chihailis.

Seen 4 grouse...but didn't get the chance to shoot them. People say they are so dumb, but these ones sure get outa dodge when I'm around.
also seen 2 doe
lots of deer scat. Mostly old. found one really fresh.
Lots of moose or elk scat.
some bear scat.

hoping to get something for the freezer this weekend.

one thing I have noticed is that there are no clear cuts. Any tips for hunting up Sabiston creek or copper creek in Savona? remember I'm a new guy ;). It's a totally different environment than region 2.

the he camp site we are at shows signs of 3 recent deer harvests and 1 bear. I would be happy with a grouse!!!

mrtires24
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
So I just got back from a 3 day hunting trip in Savona. I enjoyed the area a lot. The grouse sure didn't act like grouse that I remembered when I was a kid. When they spooked, they flew 100 yards or more and out of sight. So I didn't get any grouse.

there was rabbit there as well. I didn't see any, but some of my friends did.

the only deer I saw was two does 150m from our camp site.

sonot wasn't a successful trip in the fact that o didn't bag anything. But it was fun learning.

i might be able to do a local trip up chihalis once more befor I head to Mackenzie.

will keep you posted.

mrtires24
11-27-2016, 08:07 PM
well, seams as though I am talking to myself here. but its nice to look back at this at all i have done.

I have done a fair amount more stuff since I posted here last.

Defiantly have done a couple more day trips to Chihalis, have gone on a 10 day trip to Mackenzie, Gone up the Coquihala and connected to tulammen then hunted out Princeton area as well (twice) I also explored West and east Harrison.

I figure I have put well over 4500 km on my truck in this first year of exploring/hunting. (mackenzie round trip and hunting was 3000+km alone)

I defiantly prefer exploring the bush by foot, but like the aspect of road hunting because you see more area more quickly.

I don't think I will be able to make it out again for any big game this year. ( I plan to go duck hunting still though)

I have seen so much and learned so much. I have figured some areas that I will be focussing on more for next year. the amount of wildlife/big game I have seen this year has been incredible. But most of which I didn't have a tag for. I have seen moose, Elk, deer and bear. Probably 100 Big game of different species in total

I am minority disappointed that I didn't get to bag a deer this year. However I have learned so much. I have also told myself that I am self learning. Not really having too many people physically helping me or taking me out to a hot spot. One of my friends said it took him 4 years till he got his first deer.

Anyways, I want to thank the members on here that have offered suggestions, advice and help. either on this forum or Pmed to me

I will be looking for...
a pair of antlers for next year ( PM me if you have a pair of freebies from one of your many hunts I can have)
a good Deer Call ( suggestions???)
A rattle
I will be looking for a couple of the books suggested in this post as well.

Anyways. Hope everyone had a safe time and a successful year.

Phil

Wild one
11-27-2016, 08:42 PM
For calling deer I use rattling antlers and the primos can call

dont get to frustrated it takes time to get hunting figured out and every species is different. Pay attention to the habitat you see each species in.

For region2 you have the right idea sticking to an area and learning. That said you picked a tough area to learn. I post it all the time with region 2 it's tough in most areas but there is also some great hunting that goes almost untouched. You will hear Chilliwack, wood side, Norrish, harison, and the skagit. All these areas hold deer but see lots o pressure. I took a good number of blacktail out of region 2 and not 1 came out of the areas listed. Look for the stupid pockets that don't see people that is how I found them

Best of luck

scotty30-06
11-27-2016, 08:48 PM
You would be amazed at how the hunting pressure has dropped in some of those mentioned valleys....saw 1 other hunter this year and other then that just quads

tipper
11-27-2016, 08:54 PM
You would be amazed at how the hunting pressure has dropped in some of those mentioned valleys....saw 1 other hunter this year and other then that just quads

Which Valleys are you referring to?

Wild one
11-27-2016, 09:00 PM

Quit hunting any of those areas once I figured out better pockets. Once I started seeing blacktail every time I went out and bucks most days I stopped hunting any of those locations. If you figure it out blacktail can be found in good numbers. Most often it is in thick little hell holes no one looks. It's not always about how far you hike

Hunters are driving by the location I am talking about all the time without even thinking of hunting them