PDA

View Full Version : New solo hunter - Black Bear - Kamloops

Five
05-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Hi,

This is will be my first spring season hunting as I just started last fall. None of my friends hunt and I am hoping there may be someone in Kamloops I could learn from. I moved here last month.

I will be out today and tomorrow, but am not sure where to start, and learning this on your own is a little bit of a grind.

Feel free to send me a PM

Cheers.

celticwolf
05-30-2016, 11:36 AM
My advice is to drive till u find several piles of poop and then get out and walk. Check valley bottoms with a creek. Glass any openings and grassy patches u see.

Five
05-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Thanks!

One challenge I've been having: most of the timber I have been hunting is so dense it seems very difficult to hunt. When I watch videos with pros they are able to see 200+ yards. The trees are so thick I can't see much more than 50 feet.

Also, how long does bear scat "last". I've been hunting an area with fresh piles, but I walk the roads as the brush is so thick

SR80
05-31-2016, 06:20 AM
I don't hunt the brush for bears in the spring, I walk roads early on, and then theyll expand to cut blocks etc. Sure theyll be in the timber, but there are better chances finding them out in the open.

skibum
05-31-2016, 09:47 AM
I did the same thing (no one to learn how to hunt from) - but started one season hunting grouse and rabbits

Personally think a solo bear hunt would have been too much for me to chew off my first season, but honestly just put in the time looking at maps and hiking around. I think a lot of it is the time you put in exploring

Don't get too frustrated your first season or two - enjoy your time outside and learning the ropes

skibum
05-31-2016, 09:51 AM
And should add, I did a sh!t load of searching huntingbc.ca and reading everything I could find on hunting - but nothing beats getting experience on the ground