PDA

View Full Version : It's the annual"where should I apply?" dilemma.

MichelD
05-22-2016, 10:01 AM
I lay awake at night this time of year just before putting in my LEH applications.

Vancouver Island elk is the easiest because I have a chance to possibly hunt private land (if buddy hasn't sold yet) and I've been there before.

Mule deer is problematic. I have actually got skunked in what should have been sure thing doe hunts in 3-13 and 3-14 before and the place I used to have to stay on in8-4 has been sold though I still like the area but not the odds. So many place I have seen does though that I can't make up my mind. And the draws that on on from November 1, well, without a camper with those long nights I like to have a place to stay. Rented a cabin at a fishing resort in Region 3 once.

And moose, well that is a problem too. The area I learned last year in region 6 when I accompanied buddies for their hunt has dropped from 11 authorizations to just one and the adjacent area we went to four years before keeps getting logged in areas we have just figured out. Same thing happened in that area when we went four years ago. The spot we'd been four years before that had been logged.

So now I'm thinking of Region 7. I know an old retired fisherman who gave me the name of a lake up there and after doing a bit of snooping, it turns out the place still has some moose hunting in it, and a healthy number of LEH authorization, so it's tempting. The trouble is that it will be an entirely new area to hunt for me again.

It's a gamble. You bet on getting a draw then if you do you bet on seeing a moose.

Ferenc
05-22-2016, 10:41 AM
How many years have you hunted 3-14 and how well do you know this area.

MichelD
05-22-2016, 11:03 AM
"How many years have you hunted 3-14 and how well do you know this area?"

A few times, over the past 12 years but not that much.

Vladimir Poutine
05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
I lay awake at night this time of year just before putting in my LEH applications.

Vancouver Island elk is the easiest because I have a chance to possibly hunt private land (if buddy hasn't sold yet) and I've been there before.

Mule deer is problematic. I have actually got skunked in what should have been sure thing doe hunts in 3-13 and 3-14 before and the place I used to have to stay on in8-4 has been sold though I still like the area but not the odds. So many place I have seen does though that I can't make up my mind. And the draws that on on from November 1, well, without a camper with those long nights I like to have a place to stay. Rented a cabin at a fishing resort in Region 3 once.

And moose, well that is a problem too. The area I learned last year in region 6 when I accompanied buddies for their hunt has dropped from 11 authorizations to just one and the adjacent area we went to four years before keeps getting logged in areas we have just figured out. Same thing happened in that area when we went four years ago. The spot we'd been four years before that had been logged.

So now I'm thinking of Region 7. I know an old retired fisherman who gave me the name of a lake up there and after doing a bit of snooping, it turns out the place still has some moose hunting in it, and a healthy number of LEH authorization, so it's tempting. The trouble is that it will be an entirely new area to hunt for me again.

It's a gamble. You bet on getting a draw then if you do you bet on seeing a moose.

Be careful on those areas with the "healthy" LEH #s. Compare them to the previous years. Some areas have had moose LEH authorizations triple or quadruple this year with no evidence that the population has the numbers. All that does is flood an area with more draw hunters.

Fisher-Dude
05-22-2016, 11:32 AM
I give LEH about 10 minutes of thought. I refuse to lose sleep over it.

I check the current draws, do a few analyses of the numbers, and put my money down, usually on areas that I'm familiar with.

The last thing I'm doing is trying to plan my hunting around a 5:1 draw that I have an 80% chance of not being drawn for.

MichelD
05-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Be careful on those areas with the "healthy" LEH #s. Compare them to the previous years. Some areas have had moose LEH authorizations triple or quadruple this year with no evidence that the population has the numbers. All that does is flood an area with more draw hunters.

I just checked. The area I am considering is down four authorizations compared to the previous six years.

slyfox
05-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Michel 728 729 738 all good moose area's have hunted the regions and always get a moose and lots of black bear and I know how much you love bear meat.

two-feet
05-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Dont rule an area out because it has been logged