PDA

View Full Version : Bad timing, bad area or just plain bad luck?

WestbankRye
05-19-2016, 06:32 AM
Hey guys I don't post much on here but I'm hoping to get some feedback.

A few friends of mine wanted to head out bear hunting and, since I'm the only that has had success in the past, planning the trip was basically left up to me. I used to hunt bear in an area by the arrow lakes but it has since become full of vacation homes and cabins and isn't huntable any more. So I was left to find an area to set up base camp and hunt in. Also one of my buddies coming with doesn't hunt and wanted to fish all weekend so he wanted to camp on a lake with good fishing. I ended up picking Missezula Lake in 8-6 off of highway 5a and we went this past weekend (May 13-16). We scouted a lot on the first evening we were there and found some solid tracks and bear scat that I would guess was within 24 hours old. We hunted that area hard but lost the tracks and never saw any other sign. Over the weekend we would return to that area as well as hunt some other good looking spots in the area but never saw any other sign or any bear at all. It seemed like a perfect area with tons of grassy slopes and good sight lines where we could glass big sections. My thinking when we didn't see anything was that maybe we were too late for the area as it seemed to have been green for quite a while already. But what do you guys think? Were we too late to the area or is it just not a good area for black bear? Or did we just have some bad luck that kept us from connecting? All in all it was great weekend camping with some good friends but a bear in the freezer would have made it way better. Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks guys.

boxhitch
05-19-2016, 08:09 AM
I doubt there is an area in BC that doesn't have a population of the grass munchers.
"too late for this area" depends on the food supply.
Bears are actively feeding at all times when they first get onto new greens , but as time wears on and food becomes available everywhere they resort to normal habits of avoiding traffic and living nocturnal.
First and last half hour are the best bets now where the spring has been long.

HarryToolips
05-19-2016, 12:33 PM
^^^^what he said...and Missezula is not a bad area, I saw a nice one there in June last year..I'll send ya a PM of a good area in your neck of the woods to check out..

swampthing
05-19-2016, 06:32 PM
This early spring has the bears spread out.They don't seem to be hovering around the roads with the green grass as much this year. I have only seen 2 bears this year! I am off on a grizz hunt for a week and don't expect much as far as shootin a bear. Will be a great adventure though!

caddisguy
05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
I haven't been having much luck this year either. We had a couple chances at one but bad luck ensued. I have not "seen" any bears in my last two trips but my ears and nose have told me otherwise. Keep at it. I'm leaving now to head out for a few days to try and seal the deal.

two-feet
05-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Sounds like hunting. I would personally head up in elevation. if you are putting on the miles in the bc bush you will come across a bear eventually

ElliotMoose
05-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Yup.. Early spring, early green up.. The bears are spread out as there is feed everywhere. Normally there are areas that green up first and these areas hold the high concentration of bears. Nothing wrong with missezula, we have seen and taken plenty bears up that way. As mentioned before, first and last light. Power lines have always seemed to produce in that neck of the woods..