Bowzone_Mikey
05-18-2016, 01:13 PM
culture shock

adriaticum
05-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Go for it!

Phil
05-18-2016, 01:48 PM
I turned a job down there 25 years back after finishing university. Was a bit too remote for me in those days. I could handle it now though. It would be nice to get out of the rat race.

itsy bitsy xj
05-18-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm sure it would be very close to living in the LML lol
It would be nice if you could give it a try and have the ability to come back if it didn't work out for you. Problem is once most people leave here they can't afford to return.

caddisguy
05-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Seems like a nice place to live... can get nice house for under 200k

Population around 1000 and 20 restaurants? Wow :)

If you can secure decent work in a town like that I'd say go for it!!

PressurePoint
05-18-2016, 02:47 PM
I hope u like snow... Buy a good Canada goose parka and a good
snow blower. Ull be close to Jasper though which is wicked

ajr5406
05-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Work would be the limiting factor. What's your occupation? Got a job lined up?

XPEIer
05-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Buy a snowblower, a big ass 4x4 and a sled!!! That said, there is something to small town life and I think you either love it or hate it and retreat back to the LML.

604ksmith
05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
As young professional who moved from Yaletown to Prince George 1.5 years ago, 'culture shock' was huge. Both in PG, and when I spend a lot of time in the smaller towns in the area.

A few things I realized when moving to a smaller town (PG) and spending weekends in real small towns (Valemount, Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge ect..)

Pro's:
- Disposable income is likely, retirement can usually be achieved earlier.
- Less stressful working conditions (depending on career)
- Hunting/Fishing is always 30 minutes away
- Experiencing a real Canadian winter is amazing
- People seem to be easier to read. They're either "good" or "bad."
- Longer summer daylight hours

Cons/Difficulties:
- Dating is limited and different. Small towns have a 'marry quick' attitude, girls often have children early out of school.
- Saving money is easier, but you need willpower to avoid the diesel truck, sled, atv, trailer world. Affordable housing is usually offset with $$ toys.
- Meeting LML friends for long weekends is harder than it seems, you'll likely drift apart.
- There is limited entertainment coming to town. Valemount would have none (no sports teams, concerts, movie theatres ect..)
- Shorter winter daylight hours (this seems to really effect some)

All in all, I think you need to ask yourself: do I want to live my life outdoors or indoors? Small town central BC living is outdoors. If you don't think you could handle making your own fun outdoors, the lack of a city life will get to you.

honeyman76
05-18-2016, 06:22 PM
I lived in the LML for 6 months...I wouldn't do it ever again. The list is long on the frustrations that go with living there. Small town life is what you make it. The pace is slow. A jug of milk is usually two minutes drive away. The air is cleaner. The water is awesome with less chlorine (usually). Homes are cheaper. The people are generally friendly and there is something to be said to having people you know say hi to you. You need to make your own entertainment in a small town. The city on the other hand probably has unlimited entertainment possibilities. There are too many benfits to living in a small tonw. Sure hope that LML people don't find out about small town living...

two-feet
05-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Spent the winter in Vancouver this year, found it crowded and boring. People are really wrapped up in careers in order to pay the bills. I never even saw a single wolf! Bear hunting in burnanby sucks! Yuck, the north is just so fantastic compared to that...

squamishhunter
05-18-2016, 06:48 PM
North is best. Great pay, good schedule, unlimited opportunities in the bush.

caddisguy
05-18-2016, 06:48 PM
My dream has always been to live somewhere just outside of 100 mile. It will happen one day, but my job is tied to the big concrete jungle downtown. I'd probably make McWage in a small town unless I try and start up my own business, which would be a gamble. Another 5-7 years of stacking I should be in a position to live out there and be comfortable with less pay.

I envy anyone who is able to move out in the sticks. City life drives me nuts, especially now with smart phones. Crowds can only move as fast as the slowest person. Takes 3-5 minutes to clear a skytrain platform and an escalater now.... adds 15-20 mins to my already long commute lol ... zombies everywhere and blood pressure wants to go through the roof.

I've spent weeks at a time in small towns and it's a world of difference. The fresh air, personal interaction, hunting and fishing opportunities... just the environment and backdrop in general is amazing... being able to see the stars, crickets chirping etc.

Can't stand the city but I endure it every day and get through it by knowing I'm one day closer to moving away... and of course when the weekend hits, I hammer down until I'm at least a couple hours away and out of cell coverage lol

Vladimir Poutine
05-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Valemount is a pretty area BUT, like some have already said, small town. No mill anymore, as the rules were changed so now everything just gets shipped out raw. very seasonal town as in tourist season. The municipal taxes are very high compared to like sized municipalities in BC. You are really caught in between there. A day trip to PG or Kamloops is pretty much an overnighter. It's a very long trip to Vancouver and the same for Edmonton.

The most important thing is if you have a spouse is she completely on board? If she isn't, don't do it. It will fail. Children? If they are pre teen or teen, unless they are totally into rural life, they too will most likely hate it as well. Sounds depressing but that's the reality. Good luck.

Pinewood
05-18-2016, 07:04 PM
If you have a desire to go and the means to support yourself, get out of the city now! I hate living the lower mainland. I'm ready to go, but the wife has all her family here and doesn't want to move. I could sell my house, buy a place somewhere else and have no mortgage. What the hell am I doing here????

180grainer
05-18-2016, 07:18 PM
Your thoughts?

Make sure you've got a good reliable job cause if you lose the one you have........then you're stuck in Valemount without a job. If you're retired, eventually you'll have to move for age related health reasons. Be prepared to take a loose. Moving north to south is hard on the pocket book.

StuBrown
05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
They have a craft beer maker there and I love the Tail Slap Pilsner they make.

Husky7mm
05-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Giver, Valmount is decent, just need an ok job. Its a real hotspot in the winter for snowmobiling so expect lots of red plates. Many of the fsr's are very delapitated due to no local logging but it means you have much of the place to yourself. Kinbasket lake is totally underutilized. Lots of mature forests around there so maybe one day it will boom again. The mountains there are very tall, snow capped and gorgeous. Small town life as some mentioned earlier is what you make of it. I myself would never be board of lonely anywhere. I dont think the snow is that deep in the main valley but it sure is in the mountains.
Just so you know it is not a game paradise there but its ok. It goes up and down depending on winter and predation. Right now imo its on a small upswing, if that helps. Have fun!

RiverOtter
05-18-2016, 09:15 PM
I guess it all depends on what you want. I've camped in Valemount and stopped over there a few times, but it's not for me. I like country life, but I also like winter to be over by May.....:shock:

walks with deer
05-18-2016, 10:51 PM
I movwd out of the lower mainland to simplify life and be a good dad..

I make more money save more money and can hunt from my porch if I want.

Kids get more time with dad.

As all said above valemount is remote I would almost call it a pretty hole..

That said pretty holes can be fun..

wildcatter
05-18-2016, 11:04 PM
My dream has always been to live somewhere just outside of 100 mile.

I bought a property not far from 100 Mile and will be moving up there next year.
Lived most of my life in the city, but I've had enough.
I'm sure it will be a challenge and quite an adjustment.

Vladimir Poutine
05-19-2016, 12:02 AM
I bought a property not far from 100 Mile and will be moving up there next year.
Lived most of my life in the city, but I've had enough.
I'm sure it will be a challenge and quite an adjustment.

The 100 Mile area is interesting even though we don't live there. Our go to butcher is there (Forest Grove) and the sis in law is just far enough away yet close enough at the same time. Town is large enough for 3 car dealerships to survive, and has a Safeway and a Save On. Lots of properties always for sale out towards Lone Butte and the Interlakes area. Great road network to get one into the hunting and fishing areas. Winter can last a wee bit longer because of altitude but nothing like PG. Close enough to Kamloops for the day trip and Vancouver for the easy drive to the coast when needed, which is less and less these days. Too many crazy people down there.:razz:

msharkey
05-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all your replies. They are appreciated.

tigrr
05-19-2016, 07:28 AM
Pro's Friendly people if your not competing for the job they want. Rush hour doesn't exist. Hunter/hiker/fisherman's paradise.
Con's trucks and trains. Bad if you are a light sleeper.

horshur
05-19-2016, 06:31 PM
I hope u like snow... Buy a good Canada goose parka and a good
snow blower. Ull be close to Jasper though which is wicked

not true the town gets very little snow

Dog_River
05-20-2016, 12:33 PM
I live in the area. Actually the weather here in the winter is mild compared to McBride. It can snow in town but generally we don't get huge amounts. The access to the mountains is dicey at best because they are so steep. There are some logging roads. There is no work here so you should have a outside job. I travel for work and sometimes getting to town from Kamloops or PG is a real hassle in the winter. At time I have to stay over night and travel the next day. Currently the hipe over the ski resort has real estate climbing and you also have all the talk of the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline. They may happen but they may not. I would not bank on either. If they happen things here will get better economically but it will also turn into a tourist town which may not be everyone's cup of tea. If you decide to move good luck.

Halflinger
05-25-2016, 09:55 PM
If you are a good small engine / Snowmobile mechanic you will do very good in the winter months there. Work hard all winter and hunt hard all fall