PDA

View Full Version : 2 hooks on Kwikfish for salmon in Tidal Fraser?

Harvest the Land
05-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi!

Do any of you know if we are allowed to use 2 hooks on Kwikfish plugs while fishing for springers in the Tidal portion of the Fraser river? I know we're allowed to use the 2 hooks for cut plug herring in the tidal portion because I've been checked by DFO a few times. Also, can we tie sardine wraps to the bellies of those kwikfish plugs in the tidal portion of the Fraser while targeting springers?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

MB_Boy
05-18-2016, 01:34 PM
If you are indeed looking at the tidal portion of the Fraser.....as in..."IN" the Fraser between the mouth at 29-11 and Mission Bridge have a look at this.

I don't know that a Kwikfish would be considered a "bar rig".

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s29-eng.html

The following is right below "Sockeye" in the limits table.

Gear Restriction: Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable except in the tidal portion of the Fraser where gear is restricted to a single barbless hook. A person may angle in the tidal portion of the Fraser River with a bar rig consisting of no more than two single barbless hooks attached to a fishing line each of which has a barbless point. .

And the 6th bullet point here.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.html

It is illegal to:

angle with a fishing line that has more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly attached except:

in the tidal waters of the Fraser River, where you can attach two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies to a bar rig
in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if using the hooks in combination to hold a single piece of bait

The verbiage in red to me would seem to state you can only attach two hooks to a bar rig and that's it?

I always fish in the salt...out of the river and have only bar fished a couple of times but from what limited bit I know, I wouldn't imagine that a Kwikfish is considered a bar rig. Bar rigs are the 'spin n glow' set ups correct?

Harvest the Land
05-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply MB_Boy. No a Kwikfish wouldn't be considered a bar rig, unless you get a really strong outgoing tide where your could plunk it on the bottom with a wedge weight and let it wiggle in the current. I've got a bunch of K15's, K16's and K14's all with the double hook setup, so looks like I've gotta get rid of one of the hooks (probably the one on the belly and keep the trailer on). Hopefully we'll get an opener for springers in mid July eh!

MB_Boy
05-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Hopefully we'll get an opener for springers in mid July eh!

Been enjoying fresh springs from the salt chuck for a few months now :wink:...will be at Porlier/Thrasher this weekend chasing springers and hopefully some lings. :mrgreen:

Piperdown
05-19-2016, 04:45 PM
Hey you facking philly fan are you Metis :shock: good luck

MB_Boy
05-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Hey you facking philly fan are you Metis :shock: good luck

Haha.....just a simple white boy trying to eat my allotted amount. :p

Thrasher was good yesterday!