PDA

View Full Version : Denetiah lake bc

archerylife
05-17-2016, 03:28 PM
hey everyone, i have been looking threw posts and i see that this question was asked a few years ago also. however i would really like to get some updated info.

this fall i am heading to Denetiah lake, this is my second sheep hunt but my first fly hunt. the first time i hunted stones we just walked from the high-way. i was hoping someone would be willing to share any recent info about Denetiah lake, and sheep hunting around there, i have heard it is good in the past but i am worried that, that has changed. maybe someone even has a suggestion on what way to head once i am at the lake. also i was wondering where they drop you off on the lake? will they drop you anywhere you want?

i would really appreciate some feed back and feel free to pm me if you would rather talk there. anyways thanks, and good luck in the up coming season of 2016!!

spear
05-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Sometimes no info from anyone is all the info you need ;)

decker9
05-17-2016, 09:38 PM
My boss has hunted it before. Said they seen sheep, but never connected. They hunted the north side of the lake. The pilot will drop you anywhere you want as long as it's accessible without scraping up his floats or plane, iv always got them to make a pass or two so I could get a look of the lay of the land from the air. All the info I know, good luck.

REMINGTON JIM
05-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Thats Scoop Lake Outfitters area - Give Darwin a call maybe he will fill you in with some good info . :smile: RJ

archerylife
05-18-2016, 07:08 AM
My boss has hunted it before. Said they seen sheep, but never connected. They hunted the north side of the lake. The pilot will drop you anywhere you want as long as it's accessible without scraping up his floats or plane, iv always got them to make a pass or two so I could get a look of the lay of the land from the air. All the info I know, good luck.

by "seen sheep" do you mean rams? or just ews and lambs? and anychance you know what year this was, or could find out for me? thanks

bighornbob
05-18-2016, 11:02 AM
hey everyone, i have been looking threw posts and i see that this question was asked a few years ago also. however i would really like to get some updated info.

this fall i am heading to Denetiah lake, this is my second sheep hunt but my first fly hunt. the first time i hunted stones we just walked from the high-way. i was hoping someone would be willing to share any recent info about Denetiah lake, and sheep hunting around there, i have heard it is good in the past but i am worried that, that has changed. maybe someone even has a suggestion on what way to head once i am at the lake. also i was wondering where they drop you off on the lake? will they drop you anywhere you want?

i would really appreciate some feed back and feel free to pm me if you would rather talk there. anyways thanks, and good luck in the up coming season of 2016!!

Why not just go there and land and hike until you find something, I think that's why its called hunting.

You know the old saying " the first ram you kill will have been born the year you started hunting sheep", that means you have another six trips into there to figure things out:):)

Never personally been there.

BHB

beretta
05-18-2016, 12:43 PM
You know the old saying " the first ram you kill will have been born the year you started hunting sheep", that means you have another six trips into there to figure things out:smile::smile:

Awesome!!!!!

archerylife
05-18-2016, 04:15 PM
yes i know the saying, its just a little scary forking out all that money and knowing nothing about the place.

sheep hunter
05-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Thats Scoop Lake Outfitters area - Give Darwin a call maybe he will fill you in with some good info . :smile: RJ
I wonder how that would go over ��

HD95
05-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Nothing in life is guaranteed,fly in and enjoy the beauty,enjoy the experience.

decker9
05-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Yup he seen rams, and was a few years back, 6-7 years I'd guess. As the others said, sheep are where they are tho, this year my ram is finally legal lol, if he was born the first time I hunted sheep. A ram is just icing on the cake. Just do it, and enjoy.

archerylife
05-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Yup he seen rams, and was a few years back, 6-7 years I'd guess. As the others said, sheep are where they are tho, this year my ram is finally legal lol, if he was born the first time I hunted sheep. A ram is just icing on the cake. Just do it, and enjoy.

thanks for the info, and that is exciting good luck in your season! and not to worry the only thing stopping me from going on this trip would be a kamloops lake big horn draw!

blackbart
05-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Prompted me to read Darwins 2015 letter on their website, sounds like they did not have a banner sheep year last year. He should maby build a range instead of more corrals!!!

Should be some good rams in his territory this year, based on last years less than average kill tally. Funny how the rain in August really slowed him down, but the residents seemed to do okay in the same weather pattern. Makes on go Hmmmm, does flying around spotting really make a difference??

Trekker
05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Never been, but if it were me id hike into the south eastern range to possibly avoid other hunters that will be landing at dall. Theres definitely sheep in the mountains around denetiah.

358mag
05-18-2016, 07:54 PM
yes i know the saying, its just a little scary forking out all that money and knowing nothing about the place.

and that my friend is why it call a hunting season not a shooting season .
go out lay a bit of boot leather + sweat and find a ram

BCbillies
05-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Give yourself 15 days in there and continue to move your camp as you cover ground and you'll find sheep. Guys who have gone in there have done well.

archerylife
05-19-2016, 06:56 AM
Give yourself 15 days in there and continue to move your camp as you cover ground and you'll find sheep. Guys who have gone in there have done well.

unfortinatlly i could only get eight days away from work but i do plan on getting in good shape and traveling!

Stone Sheep Steve
05-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Prompted me to read Darwins 2015 letter on their website, sounds like they did not have a banner sheep year last year. He should maby build a range instead of more corrals!!!

Should be some good rams in his territory this year, based on last years less than average kill tally. Funny how the rain in August really slowed him down, but the residents seemed to do okay in the same weather pattern. Makes on go Hmmmm, does flying around spotting really make a difference??

I think the crappy weather affected early resident sheep hunters as well last year. Hard to kill a ram or two when you can't see much for 9 out of 12 days. Sure some guys connected(and with some good rams) but overall success was definitely down across the north in 2015.

archerylife
05-19-2016, 02:27 PM
I think the crappy weather affected early resident sheep hunters as well last year. Hard to kill a ram or two when you can't see much for 9 out of 12 days. Sure some guys connected(and with some good rams) but overall success was definitely down across the north in 2015.

i was around toad river last year from august tenth till the eighteenth and seen only a couple hours of rain

Stone Sheep Steve
05-19-2016, 03:39 PM
i was around toad river last year from august tenth till the eighteenth and seen only a couple hours of rain

But the previous two weeks(when most of the Hunting pressure occurs) was the pits.

decker9
05-19-2016, 05:44 PM
But the previous two weeks(when most of the Hunting pressure occurs) was the pits.

Aint that the truth. We spent 10 days in south gataga last years opener, about 7 of them were fogged/rained in. But, that's mountain huntin eh.

archerylife
05-19-2016, 07:40 PM
last year i seen one nice ram, spotted him from about two miles away and got within shooting range but let him go because he was just barely below the nose! great hunt though!!

riflebuilder
05-19-2016, 09:55 PM
We hunted in there for 2 weeks out of the three groups two got one ram. Best to hunt north of the lake. A good plan is to be dropped off and get picked up at a different lake north of Denetiah

pro 111
06-03-2016, 09:10 PM
I love this. As the years go by all the guys that got info from this site are all tight lipped now. LOL..
I always said the internet would be the demise of the real adventure seeker.
The way I see it just get a general area and do a bit of homework and get out there and earn your sheep. and yes it costs money. Thats why we go to work.
As far as Denatia lake goes expect a huge crowd of weekend wariors lookin to kill a dink ram. Just my opinion.
Over and out.

REMINGTON JIM
06-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Hard to Call any legal Stone Ram up there a DINK ! :smile: jmo RJ

pro 111
06-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Hard to Call any legal Stone Ram up there a DINK ! :smile: jmo RJ
you know what I am getting at.lol.

J_06
06-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Why not just go there and land and hike until you find something, I think that's why its called hunting.

You know the old saying " the first ram you kill will have been born the year you started hunting sheep", that means you have another six trips into there to figure things out:):)

Never personally been there.

BHB
Haha, exactly what I think when guys ask about spots or for good areas, you guys do the work and I'll come reap the rewards! Even worse are the guys blabbing off every story of a place spooking it for the guys putting in work scouting but keeping a tight lip. It's not called "shooting" or "catching" for a reason.

decker9
06-04-2016, 04:02 AM
Pm'd you some more info on a couple places, including denetiah ;)

Just don't spook the rams k, lol!