PDA

View Full Version : Still trying really hard for spring bear......and its paying off

ekul246
05-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the responses. After posting this thread http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?127723-Trying-really-hard-for-spring-bear! , we made some good progress last night.

We headed out after consulting google maps and decided that, after putting in a day and half in the spot where we had seen the two bears, we should maybe try to find some new ground. Again, my friend has never hunted bear. I have hunted spring bear, but with no success at all. Bagged a fall bear 3.5 years ago but that's another story that I have posted a while ago. So we headed south of where we were. Drove down a road that seemed to lead to thick bush. Kms down the road, it turned up and then split in a few directions. Found a very old and dried up turd. My friend asked if we should turn around because of all the thick bush. I said I had no idea. I have felt at a loss as what to do when hunting bear because I have read on HBC, done my research, tried to find grass and green, either gone too early in the season or missed the season completely or have just been choosing the wrong places to hunt. So I said," Let's go left to that clearing. If we don't see a turd, then we'll get out of here." Drove to the edge of the clearing and at the entrance found a turd. Seemed fresh, but with no experience with bear s**t, had no clue. Didn't crunch when I poked it with a stick, so figured it was somewhat fresh?

Headed into the clearing, found maybe one old turd. So turned around at the dead end and headed out. The cut looked more promising than the one we had been hunting the couple days before; tons of green, clover and secluded. Headed down the opposite clearing to the east. Found a little meadow and spotted a turd. Soft. Turned. Another turd, old and dry. Then another black turd. And another. 5-6 within 50ft of each other. Half old and grey, half black. So kept driving. Came to another meadow. More poop. Then found the clearing. Large and green. Found a turd but then no more for a ways. Almost at the 3/4 mark of the clearing found another old one. Came to the end of the clearing but could see another one. Drove in and began to find more and more poop. The last one I saw seemed very fresh but again, how fresh? I don't know! Got back into the truck. My friend and I were quite excited at this point since we had, until that afternoon, had only come across 5 randomly spaced turds over a huge area. We figured that maybe we had found our spot. Then I said," I think its just a matter of time now before we bump into this bear". 30 seconds later we were proved correct. His cinnamon coat made him look like a stump. Mixed with our massive inexperience and surprise, we saw him too late. He was maybe 60-80 yards away (no time to even grab the range finder) and staring at us sitting on his haunches. He turned and took off towards the centre of the cut. Decided to get out and take a shot. Had my earmuffs on in a millisecond and out with my gun......WHERE IS MY MAGAZINE?! It is ALWAYS between my legs or in the cup holder and it is nowhere to be seen. Turned out, it had magically made its way into my pocket. Looked up and the bear was far away and then gone. Got out to try and find tracks. Then found the freshest bear crap I have seen right where he was sitting. Finally I know what fresh crap looks like and now we understand that almost all the black crap we had found on the way to the clearing was from the last 24hrs and that afternoon.

Passed back and forth through the area a few more times, then decided to give it a rest and head back since dark was coming. Next morning after accidentally sleeping in, got to the clearing and glassed, drove, walked and sat. Then left for a while to give it a rest and check out some near by areas. They also looked promising, but no bear crap. Headed back to "the spot" and bumped a little blackie, too small to take.

All in all, this was the most productive spring hunt I have had. We found a good area, learned when to keep our eyes open and to cover more area to find the turds. We also found lots of whitetail, some mulies. Spotted 7 cow elk and saw our first porcupine. I especially feel some success at finally progressing in our knowledge, seeing as we have to teach ourselves how to do it.

Now a couple questions:
How long to wait after bumping a bear and he takes off should we wait to pursue or walk through to try and catch him?
Will a bear, that hightails it out and doesn't look back, return that morning or evening?
Should we wait him out or leave and give the area a rest?
Any idea how far they will typically run and is it worth it to go after them?
How long will they stay away from the area before returning?

Thanks again for the input. All the experience and insight are very helpful to us inexperienced and fumbling newbies.

ekul246

Whonnock Boy
05-16-2016, 11:01 PM
I'm not a seasoned bear hunter but, pursuing a fleeing animal is almost impossible, especially if they hit the timber. The possibility of him returning is pretty good, but now you may have to be a little smarter about it. All animals are different based on their own personal experiences. Some hightail it out, not returning for months, and others flee to safety, and return a short while later. Depends. You should think about getting a fawn bleat, fawn in distress, or rabbit squeal. Some bears will come running even though they have just been spooked, but just be prepared, especially for the huge boar you didn't see. :)

ekul246
05-16-2016, 11:18 PM
I'm not a seasoned bear hunter but, pursuing a fleeing animal is almost impossible, especially if they hit the timber. The possibility of him returning is pretty good, but now you may have to be a little smarter about it. All animals are different based on their own personal experiences. Some hightail it out, not returning for months, and others flee to safety, and return a short while later. Depends. You should think about getting a fawn bleat, fawn in distress, or rabbit squeal. Some bears will come running even though they have just been spooked, but just be prepared, especially for the huge boar you didn't see. :)

I do have a fawn in distress call. But forgot to get it when I couldn't find my magazine. Still kicking myself
Thanks for the info Whonnock Boy

Steeleco
05-17-2016, 05:25 AM
Get a rabbit in distress call, it's what I used to take this guy Friday PM. If not for my panicked daughters voice I'm sure he would have walked right up on us. He came booking in from 400yds and was intent on getting meat rather than grass!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/P1010261_zps61dgnj6d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/steeleco/media/P1010261_zps61dgnj6d.jpg.html)

Leaseman
05-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Nice looking bear David!!!8)

caddisguy
05-17-2016, 07:34 AM
I have bumped bears within 10-15 yards that jumped up and bolted hard in the morning and found them in the exact same spot during the evening. They spook easily. I can picture them napping in the timber and bolting when a branch falls. Ok, maybe not but they do spook easily and I imagine half the time they don't even really know why.

If you bump them in the open, they will usually run into the nearest cover and don't tend to go very far. When you bump them in thick timber, they don't go far at all and just try and keep a buffer and circle back down wind if they can.

Unless you actually shot at it or ran after it, I would say you're good to go later the same day. At this point your like any other vehicle. Pretty sure most bears (in areas that are hunted) are taught to take cover as soon as they hear a vehicle... hide just out of sight, come back out. Hmm I actually do the same thing if I am hunting in sight of a road.

Never tried this approach, but read forum posts of guys having their bait hit (not BC) all the time but never a bear to be seen while in the tree stand. Truck is parked a few hundred meters away. Solution? They drive up, slam door, get in tree stand. A little while later have partner slam door and drive off.

My approach is to always creep into the spot (on foot) I suspect the bear will be. Sometimes the bear will be there and oblivious, sometimes I'll get busted especially if the bear was napping in the brush when I'm walking into where I sit. I much prefer to get into the spot when the bear is not around and wait for it to come to me. Takes a lot of pressure off, gives a great chance to watch and judge the bear.

I have yet to try the rabbit distress call but it seems to work great for a lot of guys here. Tempted to try if it cuts down on the waiting part! :)

Iron Sighted
05-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Just a thought, but if it was running the second you spotted it, you may want to hold off on shooting until you can verify it is in fact a boar and not a sow with cubs. That would be a bad way to ruin a hunt that you have put so much effort in to.