PDA

View Full Version : Stickleback die-off

Big Lew
05-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Went for a walk along the east side of the Dewdney Slough this morning and
right away noticed hundreds of dead 3-spiked Sticklebacks along the shoreline.
Drove over to the Inch Creek Hatchery and informed them. They immediately
came over and collected samples. After leaving them I continued down the slough
toward the Fraser and at every access point saw much more, literally thousands.
Checked in at the Hatchery on my way home and they had several people looking
into it as well as the Federal CO coming in from Maple Ridge. First preliminary
toxology tests proved negative so they're looking at the possibility of parasites
or viruses. Seems quite serious as Sticklebacks are a major part of the food chain.

Whonnock Boy
05-16-2016, 10:38 AM
That doesn't sound very encouraging. Let us know if you find anything out.

ruger#1
05-16-2016, 10:53 AM
I was down there Saturday. Lots of them. It was like that two years ago. I was on the west side by Stave Lake Cedar. I was wondering if it was from lack of oxygen.

Leaseman
05-16-2016, 11:11 AM
First time you come across that "Lew"??

Big Lew
05-16-2016, 01:09 PM
First time you come across that "Lew"??

No, I've seen some floating and/or dead along the shoreline this time of year before, but no
where near the high numbers that are there right now. It's their spawning time of year
so consequently it's expected there will be deaths but we're talking about a couple of hundred
as opposed tens of thousands. At any rate the Fisheries personal seemed genuinely concerned
enough to immediately take some samples for testing and call in more help. I'll check in with
them the next time I head out that way in a few days. There were so many along the shoreline
I really don't want my lab swimming in there in case those stickleback spines get in his feet.

Big Lew
06-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Well, I checked in with the fisheries people at Inch Creek Hatchery today, asking what they
were able to find out about the large stickleback die off a few weeks ago.
After doing some research they were able to learn that there are both 'anadromous' and fresh
water sticklebacks. The anadromous fish are those that live as adults in the sea and return to
fresh water to spawn like pacific salmon. They are usually larger than the fresh water fish and
return to spawn as adults at between 1-3 years, dying after spawning like pacific salmon.
The large die off I witnessed was one of their higher returning cycles similar to the returning
salmon cycles.

Foxtail
06-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Probably the best news possible... Higher numbers are always better... Apparently they are a cutthroats fav prey.