PDA

View Full Version : Scarpa Wrangell boots??

Andrewh
05-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Anyone wearing them?

https://www.scarpa.com/wrangell-gtx

BgBlkDg
05-16-2016, 10:23 AM
These are merely the Gore-Tex lined version of the Scarpa Fuego, and I have the latter. It is a FINE, but, HEAVY boot and more suited to serious mountaineering, especially with crampons, than to general hunting.

I hate G-T boots, after some experience, and would suggest the Fuego or Hanwag Yukons, and the regular use of Obenauf's wax to keep them water resistant. There is NO such thing as a "waterproof" leather boot and ONLY rubber or plastic boots will be consistently waterproof.

So, IF you are a serious, fit Goat and perhaps Sheep hunter, these and the Fuegos, will fill a niche in your array of boots, but, for most hunting, there are better options.

JMHO.

ruger#1
05-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Dewey. What is a crampon? I never heard of them before.

BgBlkDg
05-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Crampons, are metal spikes, on a metal frame, in various styles and sizes, some steel and some alloy, some with plastic "bots" to prevent snow buildup under your soles.

They are essential in mountaineering, very useful in traversing steep. wet, grassy slopes, think "Nine Mile Ridge" in the Yalakom after the first few autumn rains and many serious mountain people carry them in their day packs all the time. With a light ice axe, or, perhaps trekking poles, they can literally save your life in the hills.

I like the light, alloy "Kah-Toola" brand for this, but, still have 40+ yr. old Salewas with the then cutting edge Beck's neoprene straps. One of these loosened once and damned near cost me my life, the newer versions are MUCH better.

Look at MEC's and REI's sites and you will get the idea.

ruger#1
05-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks. I just never new what they were. I will check them out.

Fosey
05-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Great boots very waterproof and made for serious mountain hunting. Took me along time to break mine in but I am old. They will last forever but have a full shank so they don't bend easy. I have had mine for 4 years and they are still completely waterproof unlike other boots that are lucky to keep your feet dry for one year.

GoatGuy
05-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Scarpa= favorite boot.

Andrewh
05-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Goatguy - what Scarpas are you using?

I have Activ SL's but on their last miles.

AgSilver
05-16-2016, 04:18 PM
I just ordered a pair of Kinesis Pros last week during a big sale. Stopped by the store on Saturday and tried them on. I think they're going to work out very well and be as rugged as I could ever want.

Iron Sighted
05-17-2016, 04:07 PM
I have my eye on those very boots(or the Fuegos mentioned by BgBlkDg). Have been so impressed with my Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX for ice climbing and winter mountaineering that I am very tempted to get another warmer weather mountaineering boot. Build quality on mine is fantastic, they will last for years with ease which makes the thought of doling out another large chunk of change for a warmer weather pair a bit more tolerable. As mentioned they will be heavy, but the weight is worth it for the quality, durability and longevity in my opinion.

Andrewh
05-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Walked out of AJ with some Meindl's...

BCbillies
05-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Makula Pro GTX? They should serve you well.

monasheemountainman
05-19-2016, 12:07 AM
I wear them. Very stiff, a little heavy, but a very good mountain boot. Would highly recommend them

Andrewh
05-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Yup,

Makula pro GTX

takmaster
06-05-2016, 03:07 PM
I have a pair of Wrangell's. I love them. They are a little heavier than my HanWag Alaskans but you get a stiffer boot which I have found to be waterproof so far. I train on the cutbanks here in PG and these boots have held up well to the sand and the 90lb packs; no ankle roll. I am using these on my sheep hunt this year. I highly recommend them for mountain hunts.