PDA

View Full Version : bear hunting

bchunter181
05-15-2016, 09:34 PM
hey guys was out this weekend with a buddy hunting region 5 and part of 3.where we usually get bear and have pulled alot bear out of the areas and didnt see anything.normally there are lots of bears and tons of skat didnt even see much skat or sign roads and trails that are normally covered gad 1 or 2 piles over kms and kms of road and cutblocks was really wierd anybody else notice this at all cant figured out why we tried 3 different area long ways away from each other that always hold bear and i know not seeing a bear isnt end of world but we normally see a few a day in each spot plus lots of skat and there wasnt even skat?

anybody notice this?

Drillbit
05-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Greened up early this year (less snow) and there's more grass in the bush than usual so they don't need to be on the side of the road

I've still seen a large amount of bears, but not as many as usual.

To find a big one this year, you'll have to try dead end roads (or de-active) with creeks at the end to find one that's been undisturbed a bit.

Good luck, hope you get one! (or 2)

bchunter181
05-15-2016, 11:01 PM
thanks man yah i tried to get into spots that were deactivated and had trees across the road that looked to be there for a while nothing seemed to help maybe next time

caddisguy
05-16-2016, 07:32 AM
What drillbit said, 100%

The bears aren't condensed into little pockets of grass now, exposed by the mercy of their stomachs.

I haven't found any fresh piles in my favorite pocket either... nothing newer that about a week old. There is still at least one bear. It only comes out to graze in the last 10 mins of decent light and travels into the wind. We bumped it in the timber on Saturday but no shot. This bear is heavily into eating bugs... lots of digging and mostly thick cover and good at circling back down wind of us. With grass everywhere and plenty to eat in the timber it's a bit tougher now. Apply deer tactics! :)