PDA

View Full Version : Trying really hard for spring bear!

ekul246
05-15-2016, 01:55 PM
My friend and I are currently hunting 8-9 for spring bear. Hunting the area I shot a buck in last October. Elevation of 5300 ft. Lots of grass. Seen one big bear yesterday morning and a little guy in the same spot yesterday evening. Other than that spot where the grass has been chomped and we have seen those two bears, we are not seeing any other sign anywhere. 4 piles of old scat in our area. No scat anywhere else. We are on south facing slopes, getting out and walking. Staying and glasses in areas, spotting lots of whitetail bucks and does, even saw two elk yesterday. But can't seem to find more or fresh bear sign.
We'll keep trying. Still have this afternoon/evening and tomorrow. What are we doing wrong?

b.c hunter 88
05-15-2016, 02:01 PM
it started very slow hear in 2 12 i have bear hunted 7 years or so hear now never seen it this slow but they are just starting to come out full i think our whether has lots to play but i would say from experience any time the bears will be in full swing normally mid may i do a drive loop about 100 km and we see 5 to 30 bears a day i have only seen 5 bears this year so far. just stay at it even wonder off a bit check out new areas even if they seem un bear like. they do pop up in areas you wont normally think they would be.

good luck

pg83
05-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Was out all morning and didn't see much bear sign at all. Just a bit of scat. A few deer and a couple moose made the trip worthwhile.

russm86
05-15-2016, 03:36 PM
I agree, this year seems to be later or slower than usual. I've been out, as well as a buddy, at least 7 days each since opening and neither of us had seen a single bear till yesterday, I finally saw a sow with 2 cubs and a monster boar, unfortunately the boar was across a heavily flowing creek from us in a spot that I didn't know how to access from anywhere else and the creek was uncrossable at this time so he got to walk.

tipper
05-15-2016, 06:30 PM
I have seen tons of bear north of Kamloops and unfortunately I have a pesky one hanging out at my camp. I don't hunt bear... so far it's just been buckshot in the air

crassul
05-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Hunted north of Kamloops last week, seen lots of scat and over 10 bears in one day,
its been an early spring, so bears spread out already, not easy to find them.

caddisguy
05-16-2016, 07:49 AM
In the Fraser Valley, I suspect productive (easy) bear hunting peaked on the last week of April, 2-3 weeks early this year. Grass everywhere and bugs out in full force. Check those grassy areas dawn and dusk, but try hitting the timber in the afternoon anywhere near where you found sign, old or new. I'm seeing less fresh eaten grass, little new sign in the open decent activity in the timber (scat, downed yellow jacket nests, digging, turn up stumps/bark) Good chance you'll bump one from its nap or catch one crusing for bugs (or sows starting soon) Walk a bit, listen a while, walk some more. They tend to be quiet while you are on the move and crunching around, but after you pause a few mins, the bear will start to move again.