PDA

View Full Version : Hazelton moose?

MichelD
05-15-2016, 09:41 AM
One of my hunting partners has friends who just bought land north of Hazelton bordering on Crown land. He was suggesting we apply for LEH moose there.

It is in 6-30 west of the Skeena River.

I know Hazelton and area has a large First Nations population and I would expect that the moose resource is fully utilized.

Does anyone have first hand experience in the Region please?

Send me a pm if you want.

.308SLAYER
05-16-2016, 10:25 AM
Used to live in Hazelton when I was a youngin never got to hunt there, that place is just beautiful so much backcountry such less people up there, my step father got a spanker mule buck outta there. I've had a picture of Roche da bull on my wall for many years now miss it there still have family there...I remember seeing lots of moose used ride in the logging truck a lot as a kid.

decker9
05-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Beautiful country as 308 mentioned. In my experience, the First Nation generally don't get to far from the truck or boat, put in the time and I'm sure you will run into moose, personally, I wouldent hesitate. Good luck.

BromBones
05-16-2016, 08:44 PM
Lots of moose killed in the winter. More than just wolves hunting them, if you know what I mean.

Used to be really good. Not so much anymore. If you want to see some new/nice country, give'er, you might find a moose. More bear and goat country though.

white moose
05-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Re coated the hag bridge up there. Did some exploring and didn't see any. Only one i saw was in a pickup, steaming away at the start of august

two-feet
05-17-2016, 06:23 PM
The last fly over counts showed low abundance compared to further east (bulkley/nechako). There are moose but in islotated pockets in my experience. 6-30 borders the nass moose recovery zone.

MichelD
05-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Found out a bit more info; the place we can camp is about 10 km north of Kispiox.

604redneck
05-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Found out a bit more info; the place we can camp is about 10 km north of Kispiox.
I'd be steelheading instead of moose hunting.

ncurrie
05-20-2016, 10:42 PM
X2 with 604redneck

Singleshotneeded
05-20-2016, 11:11 PM
One of my hunting partners has friends who just bought land north of Hazelton bordering on Crown land. He was suggesting we apply for LEH moose there.

It is in 6-30 west of the Skeena River.

I know Hazelton and area has a large First Nations population and I would expect that the moose resource is fully utilized.

Does anyone have first hand experience in the Region please?

Send me a pm if you want.

Dad and my uncle used to hunt that area and Smithers out to Babine Lake, back in the 60s, and I joined them as a kid in the 70s...we used to get a couple of moose every year! I was out there hunting in the mid 90s and it was nothing like the old days, the indians have done a fine job of "utilizing" the moose resource. :-)

Singleshotneeded
05-20-2016, 11:17 PM
I know it's a pain, but in that neck of the woods if you want moose hunting like it used to be, you need to go a good long ways north of the PG-PR highway...

MichelD
05-20-2016, 11:20 PM

Sorry, that's would be fine if you like fishing.

Doesn't turn my crank.

Squaretail
05-26-2016, 07:36 AM
X3 with 604
i go up there every fall to chase steelhead around on the Skeena and Kispiox. I've only ever seen one moose. However, bear and wolves are abundant.

walks with deer
05-26-2016, 07:18 PM
I heard from a good source the region 6 any bull season may be closed this year.

Pangaea
06-02-2016, 06:27 AM
PM sent....

Cordillera
06-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Moose populations in the Hazleton unit is stable. But was never as good as the Bulkley or Prince george. The forest just doesn't have the groceries like some areas. However the moose are there in places. There has been little to no logging for ten years so the old blocks are very grown up and the moose are hard to find. I got one on a nice swamp many years ago but the swamps aren't that common. If I lived there I would hunt there. But you'd have to work to find the places where they are, and where you can see them.

Paulyman
06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Got stalked by a couple of Grizz last year when I was up there. The second one wanted me for dinner, so the 300 wsm came to the rescue.