PDA

View Full Version : Fell in love at the store today...

AgSilver
05-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Was browsing around at an outdoors store in Langley today and thought I'd check out the scopes. The new VX3i looks pretty spiffy, so decided to check it out and see how it compares. $600 isn't a small amount of cash, but thought it was interesting and so I asked what compares and what's "better" in similar specs. After looking at a few things, he pointed me to the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 G4 BDC. It was like night (VX-3i) and day (Vortex).

Granted, at $1200, I'd expect it to be way better. Loved the reticle, loved the clarity, loved the magnification range. Just felt "right" as soon as I looked through it and I hadn't really been considering Vortex due to various things I'd read about unreliability, etc. Guess I'm confused now.

Kinda seems like it may be a bit more scope than I really need at my level, but also something that I can grow into (i.e. as I get better, my scope is already better).

Then we started talking guns and I asked about lightweight rifles for taking on longer backpacking hunts. Just for the sake of looking. He mentions Kimber and others, but then says "but check this out...a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight NorthMark". It's gorgeous. Not sure I love the spiderweb, but otherwise, it's phenomenally cool looking...and then on the shoulder, nothing like it that I've picked up. The weight felt perfect, the chin was perfect, the balance. Everything. But it's $2600!

If I hadn't walked out of there when I did, I could easily have left $4000 poorer. Wtf. And I've never even shot a deer.

todbartell
05-14-2016, 11:33 PM
lots of nice gear out there. Needed, to have a good hunt? nope

A new hunter needs a pretty diverse kit. A lot of guys probably budget too much for the fluff, then whine about how much gas they burnt when 'hunting'

That Razor 2-10x40 would be a great scope. But so is the Vx3i - I own a couple of each

Seth
05-15-2016, 07:02 AM
lots of nice gear out there. Needed, to have a good hunt? nope

A new hunter needs a pretty diverse kit. A lot of guys probably budget too much for the fluff, then whine about how much gas they burnt when 'hunting'

That Razor 2-10x40 would be a great scope. But so is the Vx3i - I own a couple of each

Id agree 100 percent. That more expensive rifle/scope won't find you the bigger buck, bull, billy. IMO, that coin would be much better spent on a pair of Meindl, Lowa, Hanwag boots. Boots are the one item I'd suggest sparing no expense on. Considering you find what fits best. I'd consider a used Rem Model 7 and save yourself $1800 over that Weatherby. Take the $1800 and pick up whichever scope you want and still have spare change for lots of other hunting related necessities. Just my 2 cents.

Stormy
05-15-2016, 07:21 AM
Was browsing around at an outdoors store in Langley today and thought I'd check out the scopes. The new VX3i looks pretty spiffy, so decided to check it out and see how it compares. $600 isn't a small amount of cash, but thought it was interesting and so I asked what compares and what's "better" in similar specs. After looking at a few things, he pointed me to the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 G4 BDC. It was like night (VX-3i) and day (Vortex).

Granted, at $1200, I'd expect it to be way better. Loved the reticle, loved the clarity, loved the magnification range. Just felt "right" as soon as I looked through it and I hadn't really been considering Vortex due to various things I'd read about unreliability, etc. Guess I'm confused now.

Kinda seems like it may be a bit more scope than I really need at my level, but also something that I can grow into (i.e. as I get better, my scope is already better).

Then we started talking guns and I asked about lightweight rifles for taking on longer backpacking hunts. Just for the sake of looking. He mentions Kimber and others, but then says "but check this out...a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight NorthMark". It's gorgeous. Not sure I love the spiderweb, but otherwise, it's phenomenally cool looking...and then on the shoulder, nothing like it that I've picked up. The weight felt perfect, the chin was perfect, the balance. Everything. But it's $2600!

If I hadn't walked out of there when I did, I could easily have left $4000 poorer. Wtf. And I've never even shot a deer.

Let it simmer and bake for a while....

once you have "fallen in love" nothing else will ever quite the same! It's not cheap but you know you really, really want it.......LOL

welcome to our world!

BgBlkDg
05-15-2016, 07:23 AM
I strongly concur with the above comments and would add as follows.

1. TWO pairs of top quality boots correctly fitted and one pair of rubber bottom pacboots are well worth spending serious coin on BEFORE worrying about what specific rifle/scope you should buy.

2 A REALLY GOOD large pack, my current favourites after 60 years humping many different packs in BC/AB, are the SeekOutside models made in Colorado and the original Mystery Ranch packs made in Bozeman, MT. However, there ARE a number of alternatives and with correct fitting, a solid USED pack can and will do the job.

3. A high quality BINOCULAR, Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, are the best and are a lifetime investment. A spotter from one of these makers is costly, but, worth the $$$$$ to a serious backpack or "trophy" hunter.

You CAN make do with many different types of clothes, you DO NOT NEED this special camo, stretchy, WPB blah, blah, blah "kewl" stuff that costs almost a grand per suit and is largely just a marketing ploy. Merino wool, Helly Impertech and learning by experience how to adjust your clothing for YOU works just fine.

Good tentage and sleeping gear is easy to find and to get started, used gear is good so you can determine by USE what works best for YOU.

Actually, in most weather, I prefer a simple tarp/bivy combo and camping in the trees to cut wind. So, start with day hunts and gradually work into this as you gain experience.

HTH.

swampthing
05-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Go back and buy the weatherby!!

Stormy
05-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Ha ha - Exactly!

AgSilver
05-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. I definitely agree that I don't need a $4000 gun/scope package. It was more commentary on nice stuff that I saw than actual "I must buy this, right?"

BBD, good advice. I have a good pair of Scarpas (Kinesis Pro) on order and a couple of other pairs to try on (the Scarpas fit, I know that already, but also have Vasque St Elias GTX, Merrell Crestbound GTX, and the ones I think I'll keep with the Scarpas, Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX). Ordered them online during a big sale when I couldn't get in to try them on, so will return what doesn't fit/I don't need/want.

i also have Meostar binos (Cabelas Euro HD) that should suffice and a Kuiu Icon 5200. Pretty well set up on most of the fundamentals.

The one thing that I haven't been able to buy is time to practice shooting or time to get out scouting. Maybe next month.

AgSilver
05-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Ha ha - Exactly!

I think I'll let it simmer for a bit yet...

Moose63
05-15-2016, 07:48 AM
You did the right thing, it won't make you a better hunter.

BgBlkDg
05-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Scarpas, are among the best available boots and I own and use two pairs. They are better than the other makes you mention and I would also suggest trying Hanwags, these fit me much like Scarpa S2 lasts do.

I detest WPB membranes in boots, but, that's a different topic.

My current pacs are original Schnee's WITH heel counters, but, some Hoffman's are in sight for next year. Counters, make HUGE difference in rugged terrain.

AgSilver
05-15-2016, 08:43 AM
You did the right thing, it won't make you a better hunter.

Yeah but cool stuff is awesome! No, I know it won't help me...just dreaming about the best gear is always kinda fun. I'm an admitted gear junkie.

Scarpas, are among the best available boots and I own and use two pairs. They are better than the other makes you mention and I would also suggest trying Hanwags, these fit me much like Scarpa S2 lasts do.

I detest WPB membranes in boots, but, that's a different topic.

My current pacs are original Schnee's WITH heel counters, but, some Hoffman's are in sight for next year. Counters, make HUGE difference in rugged terrain.

My light hikers are Scarpas and I really enjoy them. Very comfortable. I've tried on the Kinesis and they're good. Heavy duty, but good. I have been meaning to try the Hanwags. Will have to track some down in the LML. Thanks for your helpful thoughts, as always.

Weatherby Fan
05-15-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm not telling you to buy the Weatherby but like you when I shoulder the Mark V ULW it just fits and feels great,
Theres lots of used Mark V ultralights around at a reasonable price,

What caliber were you looking at ?

AgSilver
05-15-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm not telling you to buy the Weatherby but like you when I shoulder the Mark V ULW it just fits and feels great,
Theres lots of used Mark V ultralights around at a reasonable price,

What caliber were you looking at ?

I'm thinking .308 or 30-06. I think (although finding info on this gun has been very difficult so far) that it's a bit different than the other other Mark V ULWs.

One of the reason that I'm thinking .308 is because I already have a .308 so ammo consistency is a bonus. But I wouldn't hate having something marginally different and go 30-06. Because I have no idea what I'm talking about or what the differences would be!

AgSilver
05-17-2016, 03:09 PM
I ended up going back and picking up the Bushnell Elite 2.5-10x40 that they had on sale for $320. It's definitely not the Vortex but, for my needs, it's much more appropriate. Plus it gave me a few bucks to spend on the Chiappa Double Badger that I wanted (well, I wanted the 20g instead of the 410, but that's not available anywhere yet, and this one was on sale, and I'm impatient...so there ya go). Time to go chase some bunnies!

RiverOtter
05-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Researching and Acquiring new guns and gear is always fun. Figuring out what works best for you by trying different stuff, then refining future decisions based on results, is always a good approach.

AgSilver
05-17-2016, 08:24 PM
Absolutely. It'll be fun to take out the 10/22 and the Badger to compare. And of course the big gun. But that's a different issue. Can't wait to mount the scope and go have fun.

Downwindtracker2
05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
I heartly disagree, using fine tools is a reward in it's self. How many of you are married to, I'm showing my age, a Playboy model? But your tools can be that nice, and you spend more time with them than wives.

I know you will answer what you are supposed to answer, especially someone if reads your postings.

ajr5406
05-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Take $1000 and go and buy a $1000 fuel card for your car. Only use it for hunting trips - that way you won't feel bad for spending lots of money on gas to get out and hunt.

AgSilver
05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
I have a tendency to do one of two things...acquire lots of mediocre gear, get tired of and drop the activity because the gear is substandard or acquire really good gear and keep doing the activity.

With guns, I'm highly inclined to go the latter route and get the best that I can.

Gateholio
05-18-2016, 10:36 AM
I have a tendency to do one of two things...acquire lots of mediocre gear, get tired of and drop the activity because the gear is substandard or acquire really good gear and keep doing the activity.

With guns, I'm highly inclined to go the latter route and get the best that I can.

Then you might want to look around a bit more.Although the WBY UL rifles have some appeal, $2600 is pretty steep for it. $2600 should buy you more rifle than that. If I wanted a light rifle and had $2600, I might look at a Kimber for about $2000 and put the extra $600 towards optics.

Weatherby Fan
05-18-2016, 11:14 AM
As you said above the rifle has to fit you and feel comfortable, don't buy a gun just because someone said its the one to have, I just bought a basically new Mark V ULW 30-06 for $1250.00 on CGN, there is deals to be had, make a few more trips to the outdoor stores and shoulder a bunch more so you know what you want, I love Weatherby Mark V rifles but I find them pretty pricey in Canada unless used.
Do some more research on cartridges/ballistics so you have a better understanding of what your going to use it for hunting wise.

A new big box store is opening on June 23rd I'm sure they will have lots to look at, todbarttel on HBC works at Nechako Outdoors and is a site sponsor and is very knowledgeable and helpful, send him a pm as he will get back to you ASAP and his service second to none,

With all that being said if you want to shoot some different rifles and cartridges let me know as I can meet you at the Mission Rifle range and you can get a better idea of different calibers,222, 240wby,243win,7mm-08,30-06,7mm

WF

AgSilver
05-18-2016, 12:40 PM
I love this place. Thanks guys. That's great advice on both sides.

I did shoulder a couple of other guns while at the "big (for now) outdoors store"...the Sako Finnlight and the Tikka in particular. I definitely preferred the feel of the WBY ULW. It's true that I should look at others, including the Kimber. It was just one of those "love at first shoulder" situations...but I don't want to act impulsively, either.

WF - I may take you up on that. Thanks!

ajr5406
05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
If you want a really nice gun, just buy it! You won't feel the pain of the money spent in a few months time and you will have something that you really love and enjoy taking out into the woods. Do lots of research first and make sure it's the exact one you want.

Like you I have also cheaped out on gear and regretted it down the track as I ended up buying high quality gear to replace the junk anyway, which means you actually waste more money that just buying quality up front.

RiverOtter
05-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Though I'd never recommend buying junk, there is a broad price spectrum on top quality and more money doesn't always equal more better. In rifles for example, you can get a pretty decent quality rifle for 1K, NIB. Or you could spend 5K+ and not notice any difference on a target.

Weatherby Fan
05-18-2016, 04:17 PM
I love this place. Thanks guys. That's great advice on both sides.

I did shoulder a couple of other guns while at the "big (for now) outdoors store"...the Sako Finnlight and the Tikka in particular. I definitely preferred the feel of the WBY ULW. It's true that I should look at others, including the Kimber. It was just one of those "love at first shoulder" situations...but I don't want to act impulsively, either.

WF - I may take you up on that. Thanks!

No problem, send me a PM and we can go from there.

AgSilver
05-18-2016, 04:29 PM
If you want a really nice gun, just buy it! You won't feel the pain of the money spent in a few months time and you will have something that you really love and enjoy taking out into the woods. Do lots of research first and make sure it's the exact one you want.

Like you I have also cheaped out on gear and regretted it down the track as I ended up buying high quality gear to replace the junk anyway, which means you actually waste more money that just buying quality up front.

Yep, all about the research and being happy with the decision.

Though I'd never recommend buying junk, there is a broad price spectrum on top quality and more money doesn't always equal more better. In rifles for example, you can get a pretty decent quality rifle for 1K, NIB. Or you could spend 5K+ and not notice any difference on a target.

As they say, the cost of the rifle doesn't make the deer deader.

No problem, send me a PM and we can go from there.

Thanks!