05-14-2016, 09:12 PM
WTF? like seriously,,what the hell is that? short answer.........NO

AgSilver
05-14-2016, 09:34 PM
WTF? like seriously,,what the hell is that? short answer.........NO

Short question, short answer.

jtred
05-15-2016, 06:39 AM
I've never hunted in region 2 so I can't be any help there. One thing though is it's ok the ask for tips, guidance but it's kind of 'frowned upon' to straight up ask for 'good spots', ever. Especially on the internet and your 4th post. No hunter who's put in the time and effort, not to mention boot leather, sweat and money is just going to tell you their good spots.
Anyhow I would imagine there are a number of great spots in region 2 but you're going to have to spend some time searching for them, google earth can be a great tool, but even better is heading out on a few hiking trips to scout out areas you've looked at on google. One of the best parts about hunting is getting out and discovering new(to you anyhow) areas and wandering around this beautiful province of ours. Good luck and have fun.

Hunter gatherer
05-15-2016, 07:10 AM
Drive up No Name Valley FSR to the mouth of Secret Creek then hike up to Zippermouth Ridge , good luck.

Agent Orange
05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Drive up No Name Valley FSR to the mouth of Secret Creek then hike up to Zippermouth Ridge , good luck.

HEY! That's my spot A$$hat!

dracb
05-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Well if I was new to hunting i would probably join the local rod and gun club and start making friends with like minded people looking for one or more who might be willing to mentor your growth as a new hunter.

I would also make a list of the drainages in the region I was interested in followed by a search on the internet for information about those drainages.

Looking at the backwoods road book would identify areas where you have potential for access. Go for a series of rides up those roads looking for areas that look like a good place to hunt. Go for a series of walks looking for deer sign. Go bear hunting and look for deer at the same time.

look on government mapping sites on the internet and turn on the layers that show game habitat or winter range habitat.

Look in the BC record book to see if any drainages in your area of interest have produces one or more large deer.

Talk to the local ministry game biologist.

Search this and other hunting sites for the names of the drainages in the area you are interested in.

People who have invested time in searching out their hot spots are very unlikely to share it with a total stranger and obviously some will castigate you for even asking,. We are not all assholes on here but you will find more than your share if you ask for specifics of sites rather than dealing in generalities.

Cheers
dracb

Xenomorph
05-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Deer hunting in 2-5 any good areas

Welcome to the site first, and my apologies for the mature reaction of my fellow keyboard warriors here.

Is it hunting for real, that you're interested in, or road hunting? Two different things, yielding mixed results, based on how patient you are, eager to learn, and most important HOW BIG OF A HORSESHOE UP YOUR you-know-what.

Seriously though, all around LML there are a ton of places to hunt, all you need to do is get out, get your gear ready, get out early morning and start walking. If you want more specific information as to how and where might be a good start, let me know, but please be aware what might have worked for me at the time, might not work for you. The most essential commodity in hunting is -as in becoming a millionaire- time. The second would be luck. The third would be "don't mind the naysayers", welcome to the club and hone your skills and have some fun.

Good luck,
M

Jayboy
05-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Hey thanks xenomorph and dracb for the advice. As to xenomorph's question no I don't want to road hunt, I want to get out and put some km on the boots. I have been looking at maps and google earth but being new to hunting I'm not sure if I fully recognize what a good area looks like. I'm doing as much reading and research as I can. No one wants to give up the location on a good hunting spot and I understand. My question should have been can anyone direct me to a good area to start learning to look for signs. Me and my friend are eager and willing to put the time in on scouting trips. I live in the lower main land and I was hoping to get info on a area close to town so I can make multiple trips to scout. I have to learn some how I just thought it would be a good start. I just wanted info like yes there is deer in this area start looking. No point in going to a area that is barren of game.

So Xenomorph my answer is yes I would like some help.

Cheers boys

Jayboy
05-17-2016, 07:09 AM
I will take the advise to join a rod and gun club

Xenomorph
05-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Hey thanks xenomorph and dracb for the advice. As to xenomorph's question no I don't want to road hunt, I want to get out and put some km on the boots. I have been looking at maps and google earth but being new to hunting I'm not sure if I fully recognize what a good area looks like. I'm doing as much reading and research as I can. No one wants to give up the location on a good hunting spot and I understand. My question should have been can anyone direct me to a good area to start learning to look for signs. Me and my friend are eager and willing to put the time in on scouting trips. I live in the lower main land and I was hoping to get info on a area close to town so I can make multiple trips to scout. I have to learn some how I just thought it would be a good start. I just wanted info like yes there is deer in this area start looking. No point in going to a area that is barren of game.

So Xenomorph my answer is yes I would like some help.

Cheers boys

Pick a mountain, any mountain, choose a spot you want to scout and go.

If you find the animal trail, follow it.
If you see fresh tracks, scat, then you're doing it right.
If you see them far off but you've been made, lesson to learn for the future: spot them before they spot you.
If you bump a deer, bear, then you're doing it perfect.

In the end it's all about being out there, walk slow, listen well, if you hunt with a partner move in unison, DO NOT TALK, whisper. You'll pick up on them "not to do's" pretty fast. There's a good reason most seasoned hunters hunt alone, a very well founded reason :).

walks with deer
05-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Bow or gun for 2-5

There is essential blacktailed deer everywhere in 2-5

You can bring your shotgun and find some access near Irvines landing off garden bay.

Or take any of the first 3 forest service roads past half moon bay stay in the bottom few kms and drive from slash to slash hiking each slash.

Not to mention best open season goats in southern bc..

walks with deer
05-19-2016, 10:54 PM
If I wanted to get a blind new hunter his or her first deer by far first pic would be 2-5

JAGRMEISTER
05-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Nicely said!

walks with deer
05-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Ps there is some god looking girls over there.

Mancubus
06-30-2016, 09:51 PM
why do you ask about 2-5 ? is it the closest to you ?

TyTy
06-30-2016, 09:58 PM
There is deer everywhere. How many and exactly where is the question.

My advice us to surf google earth, get out there and explore, enjoy the time out there. Unless your that lucky, it will take you a few seasons to figure it out, and what works best for you

two-feet
07-01-2016, 06:38 AM
Go to a spot you found on a map, go for a good walk with an eye for details. Thats what we all do. Nobody knows if an area is good until we get there.

Fella
07-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Bud, being new to hunting only a few years myself, here's my advice: go to the general area you're interested in, find a spot to camp for a weekend and then start hiking. 2-5 is blacktail deer country so you're in for some nasty hunting. There's a reason those deer are known as timber ghosts, they stick to the nasty sh*t and it's rare to catch one out in the open. Start looking for deer trails, set ups game camera near one and get ready to hike. Look up "still hunting" and start practicing now.

ACB
07-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Deer hunting in 2-5 any good areas
Down town Gibsons, thats where they all hang out and die of old age. That's unless the cougars get em. I know a guy thats got pictures of one chowing down on a deer 10ft. from his sun deck.

Asco
07-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Better than or and gun club is old guys. I came into hunting late, found some experienced hunters and talked to them. Old guys like to talk and pass on knowledge to people who are sincere and spend the time. Get out and talk to HUMANS.
Your computer and google earth cannot teach you in a month what an old guy can impart in an afternoon.

As as I become an old guy I feel more and more inclined to pass on knowledge.

monasheemountainman
07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Head east my friend. Get into some region 3 or 8 mule deer country. It will be much easier for a new hunter. You will see lots of deer. Better for your sanity.

Ohwildwon
07-03-2016, 10:59 AM
Head east my friend. Get into some region 3 or 8 mule deer country. It will be much easier for a new hunter. You will see lots of deer. Better for your sanity.

Listen to this wise advise...

Certainly there are exceptions, but region 2 deer can be very demoralizing...

markathome
07-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Ohwildwon - is spot on. I'm a novice hunter living in region 2 and my season is broken up by long weekends: Sept three day weekend is in region 3 (muley and occasional white tail), thanksgiving is white tail in region 4, Nov 11 is muley in region 8. All other weekends are spent in region 2 hoping for a successful blacktail. I've been skunked on the blacktails more than successful.

Freezer get filled - but rarely with Blacktails.