PDA

View Full Version : Bear hunting in the rain?

dirtymax
05-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Finally a chance to get out of town for a couple of days to do some hunting.
will be headed to the cold water area and were supposed to get rain during the long weekend. Just wondering what everyone else's experience has been with seeing bears in the rain. Are they less active hunkering down with dry shelter or still on the move? Still looking for my first big game animal. Any info appreciated :)

swampthing
05-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Hunting any animal in the rain, except maybe birds, is good. Use decent raingear and get out there. Animals move in the rain. Rain makes you quieter and snuffs out your scent sooner.

Ron.C
05-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Agreed. Seen plenty of bears in the rain. Our hunting style is typically to sit and glass from a high hillside. But when rainy/crappy weather limit our visibility, we drop down lower and drive/walk roads to check out lower cut blocks.

Got this guys a few years back with my grandpas old .303 savage on a nasty rainy evening that we had nearly written off about an hour earlier.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bear116.jpg

RackStar
05-14-2016, 08:43 AM
if I was a bear I would love the rain, imagine walking around in 30 degree heat with that black winter coat.
good luck!

The Hermit
05-14-2016, 08:47 AM
The only consideration hunting bears in the rain is the added difficulty in blood trailing. Bears tend to clot up the blood in their coats anyway and then the added problem of the rain washing it away can make them even harder to find.

steel_ram
05-14-2016, 12:26 PM
I have never seen as many bears in the rain. Most of those were on the move, often on the road. It's still worth going out but for some reason they prefer nice weather and not getting up too early. Best times have always been an hour after sun rise to mid morning then late afternoon until dusk.

PressurePoint
05-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Almost every bear I have shot has been in the rain. It's good because it keeps ur sent down and they love the lush wet green tasty stuff. Rain is gooood!

ElliotMoose
05-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Yup, definitely worth hunting in the rain. I seem to see the most bears right in the middle of a rainy day when that hour of sunshine pokes through. They're all out in the cuts and grassy slopes drying out their coats and munching on the soft moist veg

dirtymax
05-15-2016, 07:13 AM
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

Bugle M In
05-15-2016, 11:43 AM
Funny how opinions differ.
For me, I never really see anything in a hard rain, light drizzle yes.
And no, I ain't siting at camp when it rains, and have sat and walked thru many heavy downpours etc.
Right after the rain, definitely.
I not saying others are wrong at all, it's just I personally, have never seen much during that time in my experiences.

HarryToolips
05-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Yup other than insane downpours I've seen em in the rain....

walks with deer
05-19-2016, 10:58 PM
That's all crap just go look when you have time..90 percent of bears I have shot where between 1and3 pm in the hot sun...

JAGRMEISTER
05-20-2016, 06:12 AM
With Bugle on this one! Wait until rain lets up and you will find bears, in the meantime catch up on sleep or go fishing!